MateVeza Organic Golden Ale | Cervecería de MateVeza

good
MateVeza Organic Golden AleMateVeza Organic Golden Ale

Cervecería de MateVeza
cerveceriasf.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

Brewed by Butte Creek Brewing Company

Added by SethB2 on 01-14-2007

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
2.26/5  rDev -32.3%

I had never seen this beer before, so after coming across it at my local beer store, I decided to give it a shot. On the bottle is a map of South American, which is a little deceiving, because it says that is it brewed at the "California Organic Brewery" in Chico, Ca. That doesn't exist on BeerFly. Then I noticed a url printed on the bottle - www.mateveza.com. Ah, so this is a Butte Creek offering, as I suspected by the two words "organic" and "Chico".

Anyway this is brewed with Yerba Mate herb, which is described in detail on the website. It's a caffeinated beverage, equal to a cup of coffee, or so they claim. They also claim that it is a "Naturally Caffeinated Pale Ale", but I'm calling this thing a herb/spiced beer. I think anyone who tries it will agree. Too bad I can't classify it with that tag officially.

Poured from a 22 oz bomber into an imperial pint glass.

A - Pours a golden brown color that is transparent and clean in look. Nice two finger head foams up after an aggressive pour, but recedes fairly quickly leaving not much lace behind.

S - Errr, odd. I'm hesitant to say that it smells bad, just strange. More like tea than beer. A sweet spice starts things off with a little bit of malt and honey. Not much in the hop department that I could descern, though the website says that they used cascade.

T - Again, not what I was expecting. This is like tea with a bit of hop bite. Starts with a bit of dirty charcoal and moves into the an herbal presense that isn't too offensive and rounds it with a healthy dose of tap water.

M - Very, very thin. Carbonation is lacking.

D - Not a fan. I hate to trash a new beer, but this needs a bit of work. Maybe some will like it, but this isn't my cup of tea. Then again, I'm not a tea fan.

I'll give these guys some credit though. In the crowded world of craft brews where similarities between styles and makers abound, this is truley unique. I have never had anything quite like this.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last