Lucky Buddha Enlightened Beer | The Lucky Drink Company

Added by DogFood11 on 04-06-2007

Reviews: 169 | Ratings: 593
3.11/5  rDev +15.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

From a bottle into a pilsner glass.

A: pale yellow. No head or lace to speak of

S: Grass and wood are all I can come up with for this one. I cannot say I've ever came across a beer with this smell.

T: hops with a sweet finish. Orange peel maybe...

M: light mouth feel with a quick finish.

O: to me this is not worth buying another six pack. This pennies just ok.

4.59/5  rDev +70.6%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Saw this on display at Bevmo and couldn't help but try it... the bottle is beautiful and great to show off for guests, but that speaks for itself - on to the beer.

Light and flavorful lager, says "chinese style" but I don't know what that means - to me it was pretty similar to heineken, a great warm weather beer, but something that would also be easy to drink year round. I didn't get any of the skunky aroma / taste that a few people have mentioned - maybe those were left in the sun too long?

All in all, I would definitely buy this again if I'm having people over or want to show up somewhere with an interesting six pack.

There is nothing I don't like about this beer. Except that I can only find one store in Indiana that sells it! The gimmicky bottle drew me in but the light, refreshing taste stole my heart. I'm not a fan of dark beers, and I do like a bit of lime or lemon in some.

4.62/5  rDev +71.7%

I was never a real beer drinker until last year. A friend started turning me on to different imported beers. I found that I just can't really tolerate domestic beers, any longer. The next thing I new, I'm a bit of a beer snob. I came across Lucky Buddha and was intrigued by the bottle. I purchased some and took it home - now this beer snob has another brew to add to his list of faves.

4.12/5  rDev +53.2%

I find this beer to have a nice combination of flavors that make it a good beer to enjoy bothah at the end of the day as well as at social events. The light golden color when poured and almost non existent head makes for a pleasureable glass of beer.

It has a smooth taste and lets face it the bottle is pretty cool.

2.18/5  rDev -19%

Lucky Buddha was a disappointment for me. The bottle intrigued me and I bought a sixer. When I popped the cap on the first one the immediate skunky smell caught my attention. I got past the stale odor and gave it a shot. The beer's flavor matched perfectly with the smell. My next thought was that the beer was old or had been repeatedly chilled and warmed. I am sure the beer sells pretty well due to the bottle shape. but I suggest that anyone interested in this beer by a single first. I am not sure if I caught a bad six pack or that was the actual flavor being aimed for.

2.92/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Brilliant golden color with nearly no head.

Aroma is grainy and slightly skunky, with a touch of floral hops.

Flavor follows suit, with a fairly bready background and definite skunky notes.

Body is fairly light, with moderate to high carbonation and a touch of alcohol warmth.

The skunky notes are offputting, but the overall background is pretty decent.

4.25/5  rDev +58%
look: 5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

It's Heineken without the aftertaste. Very solid summer beer, light, crisp and nice finish. Great beer to bring to a party or an event. It's funny to sit back and watch people react to the bottle. Side note: my girlfriend likes it...quite possibly just because of the bottle. :)

2.55/5  rDev -5.2%

330 mL bottle picked up as a single at the LCBO, shaped like everyone's favourite bodhisattva; no freshness data provided. I mostly bought this for the bottle and cap, which I am presuming is not all that uncommon of a situation. Served well chilled.

Pours a clear, golden-yellow colour, topped with one half-inch of foamy white head that recedes almost instantaneously. A narrow collar and a few wisps of film on the surface are the only remnants. The aroma is boring and typical of the style; corny sweetness, pale malts, and not much else. This brew is not skunky, despite the green bottle, which makes me doubt the presence of any actual hops.

It tastes better than I was expecting, but that is more a function of the beer's general lack of flavour than anything else. Pale grain malts and rice provide some initial sweetness, but it becomes a little corny and gross toward the finish. A touch of wet hay also comes through, but the sweet corn flavour dominates for the most part. Light-bodied, but unusually creamy for the style, with fairly moderate carbonation levels. Easy to drink, at least.

Final Grade: 2.55, a crappy C-. The only thing Lucky Buddha Beer really has going for it is the bottle, and since I don't need more than one of these I sincerely doubt I'll ever purchase it again. The flavours are not overtly offensive - and that is the best praise I can come up with. Not the worst Chinese beer I've ever had, but I'd still take Tsingtao over this stuff. Pass.

3.17/5  rDev +17.8%

A: A pale honey or chardonnay color, crystal clear, with a nice soft full head of pure white, the head sticks around for a little while, before slowly falling into itself through it's center. Bonus points for the bottle.

S: Light grain notes, as well as a slight tart aroma in there as well. No discernible hop aroma, but also no skunk coming from this green bottle!

T: Easy drinking brew, some light grain flavor, and some bread notes. Light, but mostly pleasant..

M: Very light, with plentiful carbonation. Slight cling in the finish.

O: Overall this is pretty much spot on for the style, light, crisp, easy drinking, and somewhat boring.. RIngs true to character, and every now and then you have to have one. Beats Budlight.

1.28/5  rDev -52.4%
look: 1.75 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

I picked a six pack up at World Market, mainly because the bottle is cool! It is your typical greenbottle lightstruck lager from Asia. Weak and watery with a slightly skunky smell. It probably would go perfect with a #36 at your local Chinese takeaway. The alcohol is a whopping 4.8. Not sweet and easy to drink. A forgettable beer. Nice bottle though!

3.19/5  rDev +18.6%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

Poured from bottle into a pint glass

Appearance – The beer pours a medium golden color with a one finger head of white foam and tons of big carbonation bubbles seen streaming up through the brew. The head has a very low level of retention, fading fast to leave almost no lace on the sides of the glass.

Smell – The aroma of the beer is very light with just a hint of a corn like sweetness as well some rice and a bit of grass.

Taste – The taste begins with a light corn sweetness mixed with some rice and a little bit of bread. Upfront there is also some light hay tastes as well as a faint grass flavor. As the taste advances the grass and hay fade all while the corn grows even more potent and sweet. In the end a sweet but moderately smooth flavor is left on the tongue.

Mouthfeel – The body of the beer is a bit on the thinner side with a carbonation level that is on the higher side. Bother are fantastic for the lighter and sweeter corn flavors of the beer making for a more refreshing feel.

Overall – Sort of standard run-of-the mill American lager. Cool bottle but not quite as cool contents. Just decent.

2.95/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Poured from a novelty Buddha bottle into a pint glass.

Clear pale yellow, no head to speak of.

Smells like a skunk. Hey, it's a green bottle light lager. I'd be stunned if it smelled any other way, to be honest. One builds up an odd anticipation of that skunked, lightstruck aroma, and it would be disappointing to not get it from a green bottle.

The taste is just about what one would expect. Very Heinekenesque, yet a bit creamier and not as crisp. It isn't awful by any means. It's just a simple light lager from a green bottle. Again, no surprise.

Mouthfeel is strangely creamy for the style, but not overly so. Otherwise it fits exactly what one would expect.

Overall, this isn't terrible. There are much better examples of the light lager style, hence the rating. It's made in China, so I suppose I have to hope there isn't some additive that will kill my dog the second I breathe on him, but otherwise it is decent. The novelty bottle is cute, and certainly an eye catcher on the shelf. Otherwise, worth trying once, but I can't see many going back for more.

3.15/5  rDev +17.1%

I came across this at local sushi place. Pleasant summertime beer. Reminds me of a light Mexican beer. It is presented in a fun bottle referred to as a Bhudda Bottle for its shape.

[I am copying these notes over from RateBeer ... it does not require as long of review. I tasted this some time ago so I can't add anything.]

3.31/5  rDev +23%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Sampled tonight on 3/12/14. Had this one before back in August, 2012. One of the coolest bottles out there that is embossed. Bottle chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured into a pilsner flute glass (poolball 'Green 6').

Pours a straw-yellow in color with a very thin white head. Some light spotty lacing was seen. The aroma is of some sweet corn and maybe rice grains but that is about it. Slight 'skunky' as is super common for beers in a green bottle for some reason. The taste is actually more complex though light-bodied with a light sweetness from the corn and rice grains. No bitter or harsh aftertaste to speak of. Perfect carbonation. Overall, the cool embossed bottle is a keeper and worth that extra half a point higher rating I gave this one which was included in the rating. :)

2.81/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Pours a light straw yellow color with a white, short lived frothy head. A bit of lace is left on the glass. Aroma of creamed corn, husk and clean, euro like malts. The taste is much the same. Bready, corn flake flavor and scarce leafy hop. Light, sugary body and real sweet. Overall, not too bad, not good either.

Pale Golden Color, with White head and Thin Lacing.

Coolest looking bottle I've seen with Buddha.

Detecting sweet notes of corn, wheat and possible rice grains.

Smooth Light body with average carbonation and no lingering after taste.

All around this beer was okay for me. I would drink it again if the price is right.

I would recommend this to people that like a mild tasting beer, one that goes well with food.

(Simple Review For Simple Average Beer)

3.08/5  rDev +14.5%

Just some notes (sorry):
Sweet malts, grains, rice, but also caramel; sweet(ish) fruit juice, like red apple, low citrus; a certain nuttiness, interesting;
A certain funkiness throughout, not entirely disturbing (maybe the lagery lemon zest is more so); low hop character in the finish, so there's a low bitterness, but there's a nice dry finish that Asian lagers usually have;
Nice bottle, it's a keeper; the beer, not so much

2.57/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

Saw this 11.16 fl oz bottle at Whole Foods HQ and had to try it. The gimmicky bottle is great - love the shape and design. Too bad it's green glass. Meh. Cap is red in colour and branded "Lucky Buddha." I believe the beer itself is called "Lucky Buddha" as well - not just "Lucky" - based on the label. 4.8% ABV confirmed. I have to wonder how their bottling machine affixes the label on the back so well; that's impressive. No style is indicated on the label, but the label identifies it as an "Asian style lager" brewed with rice so I'm reviewing it as a Japanese style rice lager. Served into an Independence brewing pilsner glass in me gaff in low altitude Austin, Texas. Reviewed live.

Served cold - straight from me fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: No bubble show forms as it's poured.

Pours a half finger wide head of pathetic dull off-white colour. Horridly thin, with no creaminess at all. Weak consistency and poor complexion. Head retention is terrible - less than 30 seconds. No lacing clings to the sides of the glass as the head recedes. Quite a poor head all around, but at least it has one.

Body colour is a predictable clear translucent yellow. You can read text through this beer it's got such clarity. Average vibrance. No yeast particles are visible. Appears adequately carbonated.

Overall, it's to style (for better or for worse). Not unique or special, but it's hard to set yourself apart in this style. No egregious flaws. Admittedly, it's not much to look at, but it doesn't turn me away.

Sm: Spring water, crystal malt, crisp clean rice, clean barley, and a heavy graininess. Any hopping is extremely limited and lacks any discernable character. Straw. Maybe honey. Biscuit. Corn adjunct/flaked corn. It's pretty heavy on the adjunct, but for the style it's not bad. It ain't good, either.

No yeast character or alcohol is detectable. An inoffensive aroma of below average strength. I can't say I'm looking forward to trying it, but I do love beer, and beer this is.

T: Heavy on the graininess, with some surprisingly diverse adjunct character - flaked corn, crisp rice, and cheap malted barley all make an appearance. I do appreciate a good adjunct character from time to time, and I'm digging the adjunct here. It embraces what it is, and there's something to be said about that. Clean and enjoyable, with nice pilsner malt and straw. Heavy on the crystal malt. Cereals. What doesn't work here as well as in other Asian beers is the spring water; you've got to nail the spring water to really deliver on this style. Has a kiss of artificial lemon syrup. Hops do make a brief appearance, lending some very generic very light fruity and floral character - it's all very vague and you shouldn't expect to identify specific fruits or flowers. Clean lager yeast was probably used; I don't find any yeast character. Has a fair sweetness, but it's not overly sweet.

Graininess is dominant.

Okay balance. Quite simple. There's no real complexity or subtlety here. Not a nuanced flavour profile by any means. Cohesive, but not gestalt. Low depth of flavour. Average flavour duration and intensity for the style, but low on both counts overall.

No alcohol comes through.

Do I like it? It has its place.

Mf: Smooth and wet. Could be more crisp. Should be more refreshing. The texture complements the flavour profile well, which is more than I can say about a lot of beers. That's said, it's certainly not custom-tailored to the taste. Decent body and presence on the palate. A bit too thick, though. Quite overcarbonated.

Not oily, astringent, rough, gushed, hot, boozy, or harsh. It does seem just a bit stale, to its obvious detriment.

Dr: Pretty drinkable. I can't see a casual beer drinker having any trouble killing this by the bottle. I wouldn't purchase it again unless it was the best offering at a sushi joint/Asian restaurant. Ultimately, the best thing about it may be the bottle design. All things considered, the beer doesn't rely on the gimmick of the bottle design, and does bring some flavour to the table. I walked into this with admittedly low expectations, and to its credit it did surpass them. You could do worse for the style.

I think this beer is an easy target for elitist reviewers due to the obvious marketing potential of the bottle design itself. Let's be fair, though. It's not an offensive brew by any means.

Low C-

2.06/5  rDev -23.4%

It's not a good thing when a beer is distinguished by the bottle it came in.

Clear gold with lots of carbonation action. Actually leaves pretty decent sheets of lace. After that it's just a low brow cheaply made beer. Could be any one of a dozen anonymous Chinese or American Adjunct brews. Feh.

2.49/5  rDev -7.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.5

Appearance: Very pale golden color, with a small white head, which collapsed very quickly. The carbonation is slight.

Aroma: Strong, skunky cooked vegetable aroma, with some earthy yeast as well. Slight malt characteristics are present, but understated.

Taste: Typical American Adjunct Lager flavor profile, with lots of pale malt, some cooked corn flavors, and grassy hops. Towards the close of the taste, the hops assert themselves a bit.

Mouth feel: Fairly soft and pleasant, though a bit thin.

Drinkability/notes: The most interesting characteristic of this beer is the custom bottle.

Presentation: Packaged in a custom green glass bottle shaped like the Buddha, served in a New Belgium Brewing chalice.

1.98/5  rDev -26.4%

Pours a one finger white head that fades quickly to a thin layer leaving no lace. Crystal clear straw color. Good carbonation and very light bodied. Sweet adjunct nose and flavor is similar with slightly sweet corn and grains. Should be drunk after mowing lawn and not while critically reviewing. $4.04 for a 330ml bottle from The Quad Las Vegas, NV.

1.89/5  rDev -29.7%
look: 1.75 | smell: 2 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.75

Pours a pale honey color with a quickly receding white, fizzy head. No retention, no lace.
Smell is slightly sweet, hops, malt and a floral note.
Taste is tortilla chips, hops, malt and a sweet note. Balance is decent.
Weak bodied, watery, under-carbonated, slightly drying. This is basically a somewhat more flavorful version of any megabrew light adjunct lager. Nothing to recommend it.

1.74/5  rDev -35.3%

Reviewed from notes. Poured from an 11.16 oz. anthropomorphic green glass bottle into a Westbrook pint glass.

A: Clear and straw-colored with a small white head and modest visible carbonation.

S: A very strong sulfur up front, maybe a bit skunked, with some grainy and pilsner malts underneath. Honestly smells quite unpleasant.

T: Light pilsner malts and corn adjunct sweetness. It is less sulfurous and skunky than the smell, just overall pretty tasteless. It does have an undesirable metallic aftertaste after the swallow.

M: Light, watery body. Low alcohol presence, and adequate carbonation.

O: Poor, very poor. I wouldn't recommend this to even a macro lager drinker. Avoid.

2.01/5  rDev -25.3%

Poured down the side of an imperial pint (yes... get over it, Aussies).

A: light golden. No head. Average carbonation. Looks like any other golden lager.

S: like *choke* That beer made in St Louis

T: come on! It came in such a cool bottle, too!

M: like a home brew beer kit

O: don't waste your money on the cool bottle

Lucky Buddha Enlightened Beer from The Lucky Drink Company