Diamond Knot India Pale Ale | Diamond Knot Brewery

diamondknot.com

Style: American IPA

Added by Todd on 06-11-2003

1.76/5  rDev -51%

Hazy / Opaque copper color. Poured from a 22 ounce bomber into a 20 ounce Devil's Backbone pint glass.

Smell was a bit vacant.

Taste was an off-putting esters soap.

I sure hope that by chance I bought a bad one. I like this .abv range IPA. This one was not good. I bought it fresh from Total Wine in VA hoping it would be good. This one has an awful chemical aftertaste that is horrible.

I was not able to drink more than 4 ounces of it.

I'm not a hater, but this was bad. I also have a bomber of their Industrial double IPA. I will use the remainder of this one to water my lawn. Sorry!!!

3.75/5  rDev +4.5%

1.5/5  rDev -58.2%

3.75/5  rDev +4.5%

3.39/5  rDev -5.6%

3.25/5  rDev -9.5%

22 fl oz, poured into a pint glass.

Just downed some chicken tenders, so I'm thinking that an IPA should do nicely. The saltiness of the chicken should be a good counterbalance for the hoppiness of an IPA. That said, let's get this party started...

A: Not what I expected, or maybe it is and I forgot. It's a cloudy orange, with an orange rind-colored head that holds for quite some time before leaving a cloudy residue on the glass. More Beasley Reese than Reese Witherspoon.

S: It's the weirdest thing; I can smell hops, a little grapefruit, a dark fruit that's more plum than raisin, a hint of caramel. Here's the weird part - it smells more than a little bit soapy. I don't wash my beer glasses with soap, so go figure that one. Now I'm almost afraid to taste it. I don't want to wash my mouth out with soap...

T: Okay, it's bitter from hops, as expected. There's also a grapefruit fighting with lemon taste going on. I'm not picking up the dark fruit or caramel notes, and that's disappointing. On the bright side, I don't get the soapy sensation, either. It is highly carbonated, however, and I suspect that if I dropped a Mentos into it, it would explode like a bottle of Pepsi.

M: Average, almost good. It's medium-bodied, over carbonated, okay on the palate, but the flavors weren't in good enough proportion to be much more than average. The hoppy finish is expected, but even that is a slight letdown.

O: It's an okay beer, it good be good with some tweaks. That said, I wouldn't turn it down if someone offered me one. I'd call it the Debra Messing of beer; almost...

3.73/5  rDev +3.9%

A - Very cloudy, opaque light-copper amber tone. Very little one-finger head produced , most of which dissipated quickly with a couple millimeters of it remaining for some time leaving lots of lacing.

S - Smells like a deliciously hoppy IPA. Very fragrant and a little floral. Spells like citrusy hops.

T - Tastes immediately like citrus hops with a little pine and a bit of bitterness. It is good and I want it to remain, but it is not a lasting taste, it gets chased away by malt character and a strange saltiness aftertaste.

M - Light, crisp, dry and smooth with slightly above average carbonation.

Overall - IPAs are good. This IPA has a lot of the good IPA tastes that you look for and while it is in your mouth it is an above-average IPA. However; after it leaves the mouth, it becomes a below-average IPA in aftertaste. It's a funny chalky green olive flavor. It was a good beer with a weird aftertaste, but at 2.99 or 3.99 a bomber it was a hell of a deal.

3.15/5  rDev -12.3%

22 picked up tonight at Brewforia in Meridian.... Good conversation and good people... The brew was about $4.80ish... a bit pricey, but I'm not complaining too much.

Poured into my Cigar City goblet.. short lasting 1" head dies quickly leaving a decent drape of lacing... the brew is very clear dark gold.

The nose is a bit malt heavy... I will call it "Midwestern IPA"... Pale malt and an okay punch of citrus zest... maybe even some floral hoppiness...

Flavor begins okay with a decent bitter hoppiness, but quickly gets swept away by the malts.... even some toasty notes in there... citrus hops come in as quickly as they are whisked away... finish is a touch sweet and sorta fruity and minerally... reminds me of the Flintstone vitamins my mom made me take as a kid.... "Amarillo?" Pretty astringent with warmth.. husky...

Body is on the high side of expected for sure... and the carbonation is definitely light... decent... but that is the best I can give.

3.5/3.5/3/3/3

I doubt I would buy this again unless I am in the taproom.

4.5/5  rDev +25.3%

2.54/5  rDev -29.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

22 oz bottle into a couple of tulip glasses.

Pours a hazed copper, with a finger of bright-white head. This retains with a rich ¾ finger flare-up that leaves back a big creamy cascade of sticky spotty lacing. The aroma smells REALLY dank (with an almost sour feel that mixes in), with added notes of citrus and grainy malt. There isn’t a whole lot in the way of floral or pine notes here that would help give this some airiness in the nose.

The taste has a zesty citric bite, with leafy edges and a whole lot of herbal character going on with it. Some grainy sweetness from the malt sits along the back and clashes a bit with the earthy and herbal hop flavors. The finish is pithy feeling with a moderate amount of lingering dryness. The mouthfeel is medium bodied and prickly feeling along the tongue and roof of the mouth. Some slickness rides along the middle of the feel, helping keep this mostly smooth and drawing out a lot of those herbal qualities.

I just wasn’t overly impressed with this one. Just not a whole lot of emphasis here on fresh hops flavors, with a ton of dank character here that control this way too much. There are a lot of better off-the-shelf American IPAs out there for you to spend your money on.

3.17/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Bomber poured into a tumbler pint...

A - Average or below, slightly hazy, orange-gold...way too much carbonation...possibly a quality control issue...poured out half foam/half beer...the bottle was not shaken at all...over carbed...way bubbly

S - Herbal, slight citrus peel, bready, nutty, very slight floral-pine essence - Not impressive

T - Not balanced, lacking flavor and complexity, citrus, not enough malt character...a little too metallic/minerally...

M - An unwelcome effervescent sting from the extreme carbonation...come on Diamond Knot its not soda pop! Very thin...watery...not good

Overall - Easy enough to drink, but not one I would revisit. Pass on this one if you are an experienced IPA drinker.

2.94/5  rDev -18.1%

A bomber with steak and potatoes. Why not? On to the beer:

It's an orange colored beer with hues fading to a paler orange. A little hazy in the body. It's head is rocky on top, retains well, and leaves good lacing around the glass. Upon opening the bottle, the aroma was great, filled with succulent tangerines and grapefruit. However, a good amount of plastic crawled out and disturbs the nose of the citrus.

Not nearly as plastic ridden as the aroma, but it's still bothersome. It's a good IPA mixed with burnt plastic. The tangerine, grapefruit, and caramel all make a great foundation to this beer to succeed, only to be interrupted by you know what. Its body is medium, and it is pretty smooth.

Diamond Knot has the potential to be a very good IPA if it weren't for the bottle infection. Here's hoping the winter warmer I also bought isn't ridden with the same problem.

3.55/5  rDev -1.1%

A - Pours a nice golden orange straw color with an inescapably excessive slightly off white head. Good retention though, it's going to take me 5 minutes to pour a full glass. There we go, solid lacing. Really nice visually if I could get some beer in this glass.

S - Bready/grainy/grassy notes, some light sweet malts. Slightly citrusy

T - More going on than the nose would indicate. Fairly bitter, lots of grapefruit type flavors. Some orange and lots of grassy flavors as tons of sugary malt in the back end. Nice bitter aftertaste. Pretty good

M - Fairly light, if 1 is water and 5 is medium-bodied I'd say 3 or so. Nice carbonation. Good mouthfeel.

O - Tastes well but could be blended better, the tastes themselves are quite good but they don't really mix too well. Overall the taste and mouth feel are the best parts of the beer (which is most important). The color of the beer is great but this thing is soo foamy, I'm not sure why, maybe less than ideal storage conditions, can't seem to find a "best by" date either.

3.88/5  rDev +8.1%

on-tap, Leary Traveller

appearance: served in a shaker pint and paired with a Brewers loss - hazy (perhaps end of the keg) orange body, thick foamy white head

smell: fresh citrus, grassy, tangerine

taste: A solid, but not spectacular, ipa - fresh tangerine, orange, grassy, caramel and toffee malts.

mouthfeel: pulpy medium body

overall: good

3.03/5  rDev -15.6%

A - Pours a clear light copper color with a small amount of white foam, thick lacing, and light traces of carbonation.

S - Faint, but yet bright, grapefruit and light caramel malt. Not much going on in the nose and I really had to dig to even detect that.

T - Matches the nose, weak amount amount of tart grapefruit nibbles at the tongue up front, acidic hops hits midway through and finishes with a delicate bite of grapefruit bitterness at the very end. The bitterness lingers on the tongue for a minute or two before fading away. Light caramel malt underneath.

M - Light body and smooth on the tongue.

O - This isn't doing it for me, I'm going to blame it on a bottle that's past its prime since that seems to be the norm for West Coast beers distributed on the East Coast, we can't seem to get 'em fresh out here very often. It's unfortunate.

3.56/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Pours a deep golden hue, clear, with low-med carbo. The head builds strong and eggshell colored. It slowly subsides to a thin foam and leaves powerful lacing all the way down the glass.

S: Citrus, pine, hoppy and resinous. A nice grain feature there too.

T: Resinous hops, some citrus, some pine, some oily soapiness. A little caramelly malt.

M: Smooth, creamy, and oily with hop blood.

O: A very very stand-up IPA in the good PNW tradition.

Diamond Knot India Pale Ale from Diamond Knot Brewery