Pile O' Dirt Porter | Crow Peak Brewing

Crow Peak Brewing
South Dakota, United States
crowpeakbrewing.com

Style: American Porter

This robust porter is black in color, is medium-bodied and has a rich, roasted malt flavor ending with a pleasing hop flavor and mild hop bitterness.

Added by mcallister on 08-22-2010

2.5/5  rDev -33.3%

2.5/5  rDev -33.3%

2.66/5  rDev -29.1%

I am on a porter/stout kick tonight and this came to me recently in a CANTrade (but I CANnot remember from whom - identify yourself if you'd like to be mentioned).

From the CAN: "Handcrafted in the Black Hills"; "Peace, Love, Funk (funkpottery.com)".

I rarely describe a beer's color as "Black", since most are actually a deep brown, but this poured like motor oil! I got just over a finger of deep-tan head with decent retention off of my pour. Nose was much milder than I anticipated. It had a grassy hoppiness along with a light smoky chocolatiness. My mouth was watering in anticipation. Mouthfeel was a little thin, not quite watery, but not out of the distance, either. It had a strangely astringent bitterness on the tongue, a burnt quality as opposed to simple roastiness. As I CANtinued to drink it, I was reminded of medicine (and not in a good way, if that is even possible). Finish had a dry, slightly smoky quality but I still felt like I had been swallowing cough syrup or some medicinal liquid. I am going to have a high red rDev on this one and I feel badly for it, but I would not have this in my cooler and that is the yardstick for me on drinkability.

2.75/5  rDev -26.7%

2.75/5  rDev -26.7%

2.76/5  rDev -26.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

3.17/5  rDev -15.5%

Pour = dark black brown w/ minimal carbonation, as expected

Smell = invitingly sweet

Taste = initially smooth, then mildly harsh / uneventful, and finally mild-moderately harsh, lingering after taste (comparable to dirtiness, so appropriate)

Buzzability = at 6%, gets you happy (or amplifies whatever your emotional buzz is by 1.5X)

As standard porters go, passable at C+, but more like a C- in my book.

3.2/5  rDev -14.7%

Thanks to a77cj7 on this one.

A: pours a dark brown porter with little translucency. Transient head whit dissappears and leaves a couple spots of burnt cream bubbles. No lacing.

S: Bit of cardboard on this one (oxidation?). There's plenty of dry malts and hints of dark cocoa nose, along a hint of milk choco feel. The cardboard keeps coming back.

T: Nice. Creamy, cocoa, graham, dark malts. Plenty of leftover resonance on the back end. I like the dry flavor despite the cream tones.

M: Medium body and medium carb. Good mouthfeel in that the beer makes my tongue feel the sense of possible milkiness, but then the finish is quite dry.

O: I think the beer is well crafted. The problem is in the packaging here. There is obvious oxidation and thats an issue. The look could use a little help (maybe some head, lacing), this issue's resolution could offer more opportunity in the nose as well.

3.22/5  rDev -14.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Purchased last weekend in Sioux Falls, no date on can.

A: Poured from can into Rogue pint glass. Nice deep dark chocolate color, about 1 finger of fine carbonation that ends up leaving a slender coating.

S: Smells tasty, with sweet milk chocolate and cocoa powder, roasted malts and some cold pressed coffee.

T: Things go south here. Starts with bitter dark chocolate and roasted malt, but that gives way to charred, burnt malt and "dirt" flavors are quite present at the tail end, which I suspect is the hop addition that isn't quite right. It seems like there is some lactic tartness as well.

M: Finally, a small brewery porter that actually has some smooth silkiness to it. Mind you, it is not quite up to par with the big hitters, but solid nonetheless. Carbonation is subdued, which I think helps with this. Nice hop bitterness rounds things out at the end.

O: Solid porter if not for the funky hops thing going on. Still quite drinkable though, I certainly wouldn't mind another.

3.24/5  rDev -13.6%

3.24/5  rDev -13.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Poured from a 12oz can.

Pours black but has only a thin head that doesn't stick around too much. Has a cold coffee flavor a bit but not strong and overall found this porter to lack a bit of boldness.

3.25/5  rDev -13.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.33/5  rDev -11.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Crow Peak Pile O' Dirt Porter on tap, 6% ABV. I'm more of a stout fan, but since the restaurant didn't have any stouts, I got this. Waitress said "the only stout we have is the Pile O' Dirt Porter", so I rolled my eyes and ordered one. Turns out that upon further information, she was accidentally correct - porters are a type of stout! It was OK, but not much body or flavor compared to a stout.

3.35/5  rDev -10.7%

Appearance:
Pitch black with no lacing or head. There is plentiful carbonation and the head was a light tan/amber before disappearing.
Not too impressive, but a nice rich dark color never hurts.

Smell:
Nothing too special, mainly just malts. Maybe I'm spoiled, but I'm used to imperial versions of almost everything...

Taste:
There barely is a taste. Slight toastiness with malt and absolutely no spice at all. I understand this isn't a stout, but just a little bitterness goes a long way...
This beer is easier to drink than water.

Mouthfeel:
Light for a dark beer, possibly a light-medium body with bubbly carbonation to make it quite drinkable. There is a slightly malty aftertaste that lingers.

Overall:
Not a bad beer, but overall pretty average. I would prefer a rich stout in its place, but understand that's just a personal preference.

3.4/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

The appearance had a dark brown to almost black color, one and a half finger white foamy head that dies within less than a minute; some lacing, but not too much. The smell had a roasty sort of coffee to chocolate coming through in a combined sort of way. The taste was a nice bitter roasty coffee taste with a decent chocolate-ness coming through. There is a slight bitter roasty coffee aftertaste with a quick dry coffee-ish finish. On the palate, it sat at/about a light to medium on the body with a decent sessionable aspect to it. Carbonation is good for the style and for me as there’s enough bitterness invading the mouth and tongue but not too much to lead one astray from the style. Overall, I say this is a good American Porter well worthy of having again.

3.41/5  rDev -9.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Pile O' Dirt Porter from Crow Peak Brewing