Canyon Cream Ale | Crow Peak Brewing

Crow Peak Brewing
South Dakota, United States
crowpeakbrewing.com

Style: Cream Ale

A light bodied ale with malty dominated flavor. Very low hop bitterness, flavor, and aroma.

Added by ForWhatAlesYou on 05-16-2011

1.5/5  rDev -51.8%

1.98/5  rDev -36.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.75

Poured from can into a pint glass.

Appears a golden yellow. Incredibly clear look. Small hints of honey with a bit of grain background, but a very watery consistency. Best way to describe this is "boring." It's certainly not unpleasant. After mowing the yard on a hot day it's actually pretty refreshing. Very flat. Not one of my favorites, but not something that I'll throw out of the fridge.

2.06/5  rDev -33.8%

So, I'm a huge New Glarus Spotted Cow fan. Its a cream ale as well. This had a higher rating than Spotted Cow so I thought I was in for a treat. I walk up to the door and actually see Beer Advocate stickers on the door. I get excited. I saddle up to the bar and order the Canyon Cream Ale.

It looks light in color with average lacing and head retention. I've never much cared how a beer looked, foamed or laced. I'm in it for smell in taste because well...ultimately theyre all that matters.

Smell, it was pretty weak. I really had to try to pick out any discernable scents in the smell.

Taste, watered down or weak and faint. I picked out a few faint floral notes, hints of malt and pear skin. Hints. There was no defining character of a flavor.

Disappointed. I've tried the 11th hour IPA and Pile-o-dirt porter as well. Those two on tap and in can. I'm about to head out to school in Rapids City so I plan to return. If I have a disappointing outing in person again I plan to address this with the bar tender. Hell I might even bring some beer with me to prove a point.

2.09/5  rDev -32.8%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2

2.09/5  rDev -32.8%

Shared this gem with the rb crew recently. The beer is clear and pale yellow with a small white head. The aroma brings malt, yeast, corn. The flavor follows suit. Corn and malt. Light bodied with lingering adjunct flavors. Eh...not a fan of this one at all.

2.25/5  rDev -27.7%

2.25/5  rDev -27.7%

2.5/5  rDev -19.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

2.54/5  rDev -18.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2.75

2.63/5  rDev -15.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

2.73/5  rDev -12.2%

Canyon Cream Ale pours a bright straw yellow color with almost no head. There is an aroma similar to garbage that has been sitting in the hot sun for a while. The taste however is crisp and has a mellow golden malty undertone. The taste is watery, but still some flavors can be picked out. Overall it tastes good, but its a bit weak and boring.

2.74/5  rDev -11.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

2.77/5  rDev -10.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

2.92/5  rDev -6.1%

2.98/5  rDev -4.2%

First off, this is not my style of beer, if you have some new to Craft Beer then this is what I would recommend. It is a smooth and light beer.
A-it looks light and yellow
S-better then a Bud Light, at least it has a smell
T-solid, light and smooth, a good beer for too pricey for me for what it is, however, it's local to the Black Hills and brewed with local Honey. If you like Cream Ales, this is a solid example but again, not my favorite type of beer.
M-not much here but that is the style so think Cream Ale
O-It's in a can, it's local to the Black Hills, put it beside a Bud or Lite and it will kick it's A**. Nuff said.

Thanks for the Can Crow Peak. Any craft beer in a can I will try. I get tired of taking glass to recycle. Aluminum is curb side and I can store more in the beer fridge and take to the pool. This is a good beer for the wife who steers clean of any IPA.

Canyon Cream Ale from Crow Peak Brewing