WychCraft | Wychwood Brewery Company Ltd

Liked:
3.59/5
Alströms:

4.22/5  rDev +17.5%

Poured a 500ml into a pint sized glass.

A: This beer glows a nice gold color, with a light head.

S: first thing I notice when i smell this beer is the pale hops, then the spices and finally the citrus.

T: Like the smell of this beer the first thing I taste is the pale hops, then it finishes with a nice refreshing citrus, honey, and caramel note.

M: This beer wasn't that smooth, but it was nicely carbonated and crisp.

D: This is a good beer, that for some reason always leaves me wanting more. Its a good relaxing beer.

This beer is a bit pricey, but well worth it if your looking for a great blonde ale that is well balanced. If you don't like blonde ales, don't bother purchasing/drinking it, because you probably won't like it and you'll regret spending the money on it.

2.5/5  rDev -30.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

My Dad bought this and brought it when he came to visit. And while I greatly appreciate anyone who brings me free beer, I can think of many, many beers I've had in my life that I would've appreciated more than this one. If you like boring beer with a number of to what my mind are unappealing characteristics, then this is your beer. But I prefer my beers that are advertised as having a "heady burst of fresh citrus aroma derived from three infusions of Styrian golding hops" to actually have some semblance of hop; this beer doesn't.

The stuff pours a hazy straw color with medium head formation. If I shut my eyes and think about hops hard enough as I smell this beer, then I can detect some hops. If I open my eyes or think about anything else, all I smell is some cereal and biscuit. Flavor is a little grainy, not overly offensive, squarely boring, and in no way hoppy. Mouthfeel is thin.

This is far from the worst beer I've ever had; I don't like "grainy" as a flavor descriptor, but this beer is inoffensive in most ways.

Not recommended.

3.72/5  rDev +3.6%

Nice amber/brass pour with brilliant clarity. Head doesn't last but leaves alright lacing.
Interestingly enough, the first aroma that hit me was ripe banana... English hops dominate though with their earthy, grassy and slightly spicy notes. Underneath is some sweet toffee malts. Quite basic, but hits the mark well.
Sweet malty flavour and resiny hops, before a reasonably long-lived hoppy bitter bite.
Mouthfeel is a bit watery.
Overall quite a well made English pale, but needs more malt and body to support the hoppy bitterness.

3.55/5  rDev -1.1%

Local stop had this on sale, not the first time I've had it either.

Pours a nice golden yellow, frothy white head, good retention and lacing.

Smell is of light malt and spice.

Taste starts with spice, malt is strong as well, finishes with a tad of bitter hops. Mild fruity notes.

Mouthfeel is crisp and smooth , easy to drink.

Drinkability is solid. This isn't a beer I'd drink all the time but its a solid beer, and worth your time.

3.46/5  rDev -3.6%

A - Clear to mildly turbid yellow/gold color. Head is abundant, slightly off-white. It sticks nicely to the glass upon dissipation, leaving good lacing.

S - Malty and mild hop aroma, spicy and citrus. Fruity esters present as well.

T - Moderate bitterness, bready and fruity with citrusy hops.

M - Smooth, moderate body, lingering bitterenss.

D - Drinkable.

3.65/5  rDev +1.7%

500mL bottle with best before on back label poured into imperial pint.

Pours a clear, light copper with a small chunky white head that dissipates to a thin ring. Some lacing is left on the glass.

Lots of sweet buttery notes and some floral hops on the nose.

Soft, mellow and buttery sweetness from the malts is balanced out by a light citrus hop flavour. Light body, low carbonation and a fairly clean finish. Sweet at first, but dry on the finish.

This is a very light, clean and refreshing beer. Goes down very easily. There are other brews that have the same lightness but pack more of a flavour punch.

3.87/5  rDev +7.8%

Thanks to my girlfriend for picking this one up on a whim!

Poured from a bottle into a Tulip

Slightly hazy copper color with a good head about 2 fingers and nice sticky lace all the way down the glass

Very sweet and floral grassy hops dominate the nose with an almost honey like alchol notes

This part caught me off guard its a very dry beer near like a wine, sweetness never really came thru from the nose but very floral and dry grassy hops with a nice bitter but also dry finish

Feel is good medium body, pretty straightforward brew not real complex

Not something I'll never drink again but nothing I'm gonna go out and have to have this second, probably could only drink 1 a night just not enough flavor

4.14/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

500 mL poured into a glass.

So far, this is by far my favorite/most interesting English pale ale I've tried.

Pours with a nice and thick off-white head that dissipates within a few minutes leaving some minor lacing. The color underneath is a golden-brown/light amber, very nice!

I wasn't getting much in the smells department.

Flavor is where this beer shines. Flavors include honey (although not an ingredient), citrus and a nice bitter aftertaste that complements the sweetness. The drink mellows and gets even more smooth as it sits (I drink slowly).

Great beer. This is the 2nd one I've tried from this brewery now and they're 2 for 2.

3.62/5  rDev +0.8%

Thrice hopped and golden.

A: Poured a deep golden-orange color, clear, with no head or lacing.

S: citrus and oranges, and a subtle floral hopping.

T: The initial flavor was a dry british malting with some zesty citrus hopping. The palate was bready with a nice sweet spicy hop tang on the finish and fade. Ends dry.

M: is medium body with a nice fresh graininess.

D: A good drinkability factor, nice grain palate balanced nicely with the aggressive hopping. Good example by style.

3.73/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a pale golden-orange with a pretty sizable head (a couple fingers thick). Hazy, with plenty of carbonation apparent in the body. Thick head doesn't really last, but the escaping carbonation seems to keep a nice layer of lace on top for the life of the pint.

Smell is pretty hoppy - moderate citrus and a mild earthiness. A bread/biscuit-like malt also quite apparent in the aroma. Nothing too complex, just the classic smell of an English pale (though a bit more hops).

Taste is somewhat mild, but hoppy. It tastes pretty much exactly like it smells. Moderate citrus with earthy notes, backing bready malt. Not as balanced as I'd like, but certainly not bad.

Rather light mouthfeel, and slightly rough.

Overall, an easy-drinking and refreshing brew. It's not going to overwhelm anyone with flavor, but it was not meant to. Pretty solid English pale.

Pours a cloudy golden yellow color with thin white foam head. Earthy hops dominate aroma. Not that bitter for a thrice-hopped IPA. Kind of bland and boring. Watered down with very little malt balance. I don't expect this to be as hoppy as an American IPA but since it is "thrice hopped" I thought that it would have a little more bitterness and character.

3.22/5  rDev -10.3%

Aroma: bitter, semi-sweet hops. Slightly sour in the nose.

Pours: cloudy light amber/orange with nice full fluffy off-white head. Looks really nice!

Flavor: begins bitter and bites the tip of your tongue. But, there is also a subtle hint of honey sweetness at the beginning. Middle is mildly bitter and somewhat salty with a hint of orange citrus (really subtle). The finish is more bitterness, but more sharp as it hits the back of the throat. Nice dry finish. There is an unwelcome "metallic" flavor throughout, yuck!

Mouthfeel: medium to medium/light body.

Drinkability: medium/low to low. This beer would be much more drinkable, and thus enjoyable, without the metallic flavor. Even with it, the dry salty finish begs you to take another sip.

Overall: just ok. Not something I would buy again. There are much better english pale's out there, don't waste your time or money on this one.

3.5/5  rDev -2.5%

A "thrice hopped" English Pale, huh? I'm intrigued.

Poured from a 16.9oz bottle. The label's brewer's note describes WychCraft as "red-hued." I don't really see that. I'd go with pale-yellow to gold. Couple of fingers of white, bubbly head that displayed decent lacing.

A fruity aroma. Slightly citrus, from the hops, I would imagine. Fruity malt as well. I think my bottle might have become a tad oxidized in its journey from the UK.

Following a low-level hoppy pine taste with hints of grapefruit and citrus, the underlying malt flavors start to stand out more on their own. They don't really match up to what I got in the nose, consisting of grains and biscuit as opposed to fruits. A light dusting of hop resins seems to cover the mouth as the beer goes down, giving it a nicely dry but quenching finish that is marked with very slight bittering.

Fairly light in body, well carbonated. Drinkable.

A solid brew and a nice English Pale, though I probably won't be seeking it out in the future. I expected the hops to have slightly more presence. The citrus characteristics mentioned in the brewer's note are certainly there, but "a counterpoise of bitterness" seems - to me - to be something of an overstatement.

4.33/5  rDev +20.6%

This is a very good, clean, tasty, lightly bitter English ale. The first time I had it, some time ago, I was not that impressed, but when I tried it again much later, I discovered that it actually has a lot of flavour, nice levels of sweetness and bitterness, and light but interesting complexity.

Faintly hazy orange, it has a big off-white head slowly shrinking to a thin lasting had and leaves some pretty good lace.

The aroma is bready malty with lemon, sweet grapes, grass, and some other fruitiness, hard to define.

The taste is light, zesty, very fruity with apricots, lemon, bready-grapey sweetnessn and a dry, leafy finish with some citrus. It is lightly sweet, with the light tartness and slightly stronger bitterness balancing, the bitterness slightly taking over in the finish. It's highly refreshing and very tasty, a good alternative to something like a kolsch.

2.51/5  rDev -30.1%

I really didn't enjoy this one. Diverging this much from the average review, I'll allow that my bottle could have just been bad somehow. These beers certainly don't seem to move very well, but I bought it at a busy Whole Foods, so you'd think it wouldn't just be too old. The beer looks fine. It's golden and clear with a light, fizzy head. It's not going to win any beauty contests, but it doesn't look bad either. The smell is where things began to go wrong. It's relatively weak with a small amount of hops. A faint medicinal note is threatening in the background. This medicinal note hit even harder in the flavor. It's like someone dropped a shot of Robitussin in a weak pale ale. There is a small amount of good hop flavor, mostly citric and floral. Otherwise, I'm just getting a lot of cough medicine, which I really don't like here. I think that you need a higher abv to pull off medicinal in any halfway decent manner, so I'm not a fan. The feel and drinkability are good besides some light dry heaving from having to deal with sparkling cough medicine.

Now on to my useless design review portion. Frankly, the bottle design and name are a good effort but ultimately silly. The medicinal flavor almost fits with the theme. I guess witches might make a cough medicine potion on less dramatic days. I imagine Wychcraft more as a spiced beer, but I digress. Anyway, the design seems targeted to women, which, of course, isn't a flaw in and of itself but comes off a little cheesy here. I would place it on the Wiccan end of witchiness (probably why I think it's somehow effeminate, so maybe it's more just an feminine aesthetic rather than really marketed to women), which isn't an aesthetic that I particularly like. Also, it's an expensive beer and I wonder how much more it costs them to use custom bottles. I feel like I'm paying for the packaging, rather than the beer.

3.86/5  rDev +7.5%

Sligthtly hazy light copper color with a generous foamy head that retains well and leaves lots of nice lace.

The aroma is sweet mild malt, citrus, and herbal/floral hops.

The taste is mildly sweet, bread, malt, lemon, honey, a hint of nuts and a nice floral hops bite to balnce the sweetness. Finishes just a bit dry with a lingering citrus and herb aftertaste.

Light/medium bodied, smooth and very drinkable. A bit more hops than typical English Pale Ale but that's not a problem. Well worth a try anytime.

3.72/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Comes out of the bottle a slightly hazy golden amber with a white and frothy but not too persistent head. Aroma is crisp and malty and has a little bit of a nip to it. Flavor is rich and malty with hints of fruit and just a teeny bit of hoppy bitterness. Texture is very smooth so it goes down the pipes like a happy kid on a water slide. Not spectacular, but a good fall brew.

3.7/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours clear, carbonated golden-amber with a thick soapy head that leaves sheets of lacing.

Aroma pale malty sweetness. Bready and lightly nutty.

Taste is similar to the nose. Bready pale malt with hints of lemon and honey. Citrusy and nutty. Earthy hops bring balancing bitterness. Finish is clean with a slight metallic sting.

Mouthfeel is light-medium in body.

A pretty decent English Pale Ale. A nice change of pace. Worth a try.

3.68/5  rDev +2.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured a superb golden orange color, crystal clear with a huge sticky head.

Has a light buttery smell with just a touch of floral hops and minerals.

The flavor is very mild and subdued with a light grainy body with a bit of diacytl butteryness and minerals. Finishes with just a touch of light floral hops. Very even all the way through.

The mouthfeel is light and slick with a very oily finish.

Good English Pale, but nothing special.

4.1/5  rDev +14.2%

Poured from a 16.9oz bottle into a mug glass.

A: The beer is a bright gold color, with a short white head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of pale hops, light malts, a little citrus, some honey and a touch of spices.

T: The taste is nicely balanced and contains sweet flavors of honey, caramel and citrus. It's a faint sweetness but it does poke its way through in certain sips. There's a stronger than usual hops presence for the style, which works well for this particular beer.

M: Smooth and very crisp, light-to-medium body, medium carbonation, finish is clean and dry.

D: Tasty, goes down very easily, not filling at all, mild kick, very good representation of style, this is a very nice beer to drink for a long time if you want a lighter session beer with a lot of flavor.

3.83/5  rDev +6.7%

Pours a pale golden orange with a nice big frothy head. I was actually expecting a bit of a darker color, but oh well. Smells quite hoppy!

The flavor is pretty complex, beginning with a hoppy fruitiness, into bready malts, with bitter fuels on the finish that linger for quite a while. There just has to be some wheat in here as well.

The mouthfeel is probably standard for an English ale, but it's still a bit light for my liking.

Overall this is unlike any other English ale I've tried previously, but characteristic of the style it is very, very drinkable. An interesting brew that I might just try again if it weren't for the nearly 5 dollar price tag per half liter bottle.

4.23/5  rDev +17.8%

The label describes Wychcraft as a blonde beer combining the four elements to "create a truly magical brew". Wychcraft pours a fantastic amber colour, with a nice head that doesn't fade too quickly and leaves some slight lacing down the glass. The first thing which hit me was a very citrusy smell, probably from the fact that this is "thrice hopped" - eventually that citrus would define itself more clearly as a combination of grapefruit, lime and marmalade, getting sweeter as time went on. There is a nice refreshing tartness to the beer, and having been hopped three times, hops are clearly at the forefront of both nose and taste. With such a citrus element to the beer it is unsurprisingly zingy on the tongue, although I found it left a slight catch in the back of my throat. In general though it is a nice refreshing beer I could happily imagine drinking in a beer garden over a Ploughman's lunch.

3.7/5  rDev +3.1%

Appearance: Pours a cloudy apricot nectar color with a rocky head that retains reasonably well and leaves some lace behind

Smell: Fruity, with pear and apricot tones joining with a biscuity presence

Taste: At the outset, the beer tastes much like its aroma, with a growing biscuity element as we build to mid-palate, a sour apricot flavor develops right before the swallow and continues to the finish; I guess it is the hops, but that was a suprise; its almost herbacious and tea like

Mouthfeel: Medium to full body, slightly creamy, with moderate carbonation

Drinkability: This is an OK EPA; there are better ones out there, but with the exchange rate these days, I always worry about getting an old beer

3.26/5  rDev -9.2%

pours a clear golden yellow with a large white head, and good lacing.

smell is sour, malt, grain, corn, and some citrus.

taste is grainy in both texture and taste, some wood, corn, citrus, with some hops in the back, finishes somewhat bitter.

overall an average beer that is drinkable.

3.02/5  rDev -15.9%

Orange to gold coloured beer with very little head. The nose reminds me of white grape juice with a hint of honey suggesting it should be fairly sweet.

Hops dominate this rather dry brew which reminds me of white wine without its pear juice quality, albeit much better because this is beer after all! Whatever malt is present here is very much in the background, creating a very slight biscuity flavour, but the dominating yet not hugely bold hops render this beer rather herbal with a slight citric hint. I quite like this as a one off but the hops aren't big enough to wow me (as in say a top quality pilsner) and there isn't a lot else going on: not bad but definitely not a session beer for me.

WychCraft from Wychwood Brewery Company Ltd