King Goblin | Wychwood Brewery Company Ltd

wychwood.co.uk

Style: English Strong Ale

Added by AEK on 09-26-2010

View: Beers

I was about to forsake all beers after a two years beer spree when I tasted this beer. it was an epiphany, after each seep I would say to myself, "what a good beer!!"... I beseeched the Universe to have the people make beers like that to make this life worth living. I tasted this beer on the Winter Solstice when I was very down after drinking a lot, and one seep transformed my mood from depression into ecstasy, I don't care what everybody else says ..This is the best Beer in this part of the Universe!
To satisfy the bots: looks: average smell: divine taste: extactic feel: cold velvety overall: lifesaving

4.96/5  rDev +31.2%

4.92/5  rDev +30.2%

4.92/5  rDev +30.2%

This beer is wonderful, somewhat like a stronger, richer Hobgoblin, which I love anyway.

Bright deep red copper-brown, with a big tan head slowly shrinking to a thin, foamy top, some nice lace.

Aroma is lots of nutty, toasty barley and bread crust, caramel, rich earthy leafiness, overall very bright and aromatic in character.

Taste is wonderful, complex, balanced with nutty-toasty bread crust, dried fruits, caramelized fruit, grain and tea, with a lot of earthy-tea bitterness to balance the sweetness, along with wood, spice, and herbal hints.

4.74/5  rDev +25.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I must admit, I'm a huge fan of the original Hobgoblin and I wish they had more of their lineup here in Los Angeles County.

A - Looked very amberish, not a lot of head with very mild lacing.

S - This thing smelled amazing, coffee tones, nice breathe of citrus hops, a tad malty, pretty much what I judge English Ales by now.

T - I didn't think it got better than hobgoblin, but this is tastes like everything that makes Hobgoblin unique, only this crazy taste bud foursome happening on the palate. Very dark tasting, coffee, malts, spic and citrus from the hops, a tad more sweeter, but a great malty, hoppy finish. I was absolutely left coming back for more sips.

M - Nicely balanced, not a heavy beer. You can definitely get through a few of these and not feel like you drank maple syrup. Great carbonation, nothing too much like soda and nothing to little to have it flatten out.

O - This is one of my favorite beers. I loved this brew and how it's Hobgoblin all grown up. I wish they had more of their selection out here. I love Wychwood! I'm a fan boy forsure!

4.68/5  rDev +23.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.67/5  rDev +23.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Very nice English Strong Ale, complex aroma and flavour. Also very affordable and easy to get in Mexico. Pours deep amber with a very mild white foam head, strong character is present, smell and taste is malty in profile.

4.65/5  rDev +23%

Imperial pint poured into a 20 oz. nonic. Pours a dark, semi-transparent copper with two fingers of very rocky, off-white head. Ton of bubbles in the beer, and sticky lacing.

Aroma is primarily toffee, bready, nutty, and toasted malts. Slight doughy yeastiness and earthy hops in the background.

The taste follows the nose pretty well, with the exception of the grassy hops coming out a bit more. Fairly complex; sweet but not overbearing with a sour/tarty finish.

Medium-bodied with fairly light carbonation. Just slightly chewy and very smooth and creamy.

Hobgoblin has been a long-time favorite of mine and ESBs are one of my preferred styles. This is definitely one of the better and more sessionable (despite the 6.6% ABV) ones I've tried. Now...hopefully I can find more.

4.62/5  rDev +22.2%

Pours a very nice mid-deep copper color with great initial head, non-lasting, and a bit of nice lacing. Great scent, very citrusy and deep malty aromas. Great taste, a huge malty backbone that's deep and strong; great earthy fuggle hops up front with a very slight citrus tone at the end; hints of chocolate and caramel in the flavor. Goes down wonderfully smooth with just a bit of hop roughness. Great beer.

4.6/5  rDev +21.7%

4.58/5  rDev +21.2%

Bought in New Jersey at some store in Lambertville.
Pour: 500ml bottle to tulip glass. Clear, golden/copper, highly carbonated body topped with off-white head, starting at two fingers and slowly reducing.

Nose: Very faint aroma. Sourdough, biscuits, minerality.

Mouth: YUM!! Lightly hoppy, grassy, chewy biscuits. Lingering tasty bitter flavor, some caramel, cinnamon. Oh my! Grassy, hoppy, citric. I could drink this over and over again. Feel is a combination of crisp and creamy, delighting my pallet.

Powerhouse of a beer. I want more!!

4.52/5  rDev +19.6%

From elcervecero. In Ikea's pint glass. Watching Game of Thrones 7x01 + playing Pillars of Eternity. Caramel and even children bubblegum in a good body and great feeling thanks to a well adjusted noble hops bitterness. I want another

King Goblin from Wychwood Brewery Company Ltd