Wisdom Amber Ale | Big Hole Brewing Company

Style: American Amber / Red Ale

Added by beerguy101 on 09-21-2003

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
2.85/5  rDev -7.5%

Slightly hazed copper. Small beige head. No retention. No lace. Aroma has some hints of caramel and toasted malts...but not enough. A slight cardboard smell as well. A light toasted malt flavor blends with a graininess to give the beer some light flavor. The body is about light-medium and the carbonation is a little too spritzy. The Big Hole has disappointed me.

2.2/5  rDev -28.6%

Garbage. I absolutely love Big Hole Brewing's Wisdom Cream Ale. They must have had sanitation problems with it because several reveiwers mentioned things that simply were not true of the beers I have had (maybe 10 6 packs I have consumed)

Anyway as usual on shopping day I picked up a 6 pack of Wisdom, only to pour it in a glass at home and notice it was not the same, and the label said "Wisdom Amber Ale" Fully off guard, and upset, I took a sip, and poured the rest down the drain. What a dirty trick they pulled. Lost me as a costomer.

Anyone know of a brewery looking for a new recipe to brew? Have them get Wisdom Cream Ale, and use sanitized equipment. They will have a winner.

When poured, it was a very deep amber color, with very little foam and no lace. The smell was of a strong malty nature with a hint of hops. The taste was very disapointed in that it did not live up to the aroma. I will not waste my money on this beer again!

2.64/5  rDev -14.3%

Presentation: The fourth and last of my mixed packs of Big Hole beers that I recently picked up from Trader Joe’s. A tall thin neck 12 fluid ounce brown glass bottle. The label on the Big Hole beers appears to be generic in appearance. The Wisdom Amber Ale has a picture of a horned Red Indian dude on a milky coffee colored label. Listed as 5.0% ABV with no freshness date.

Appearance: A lovely chestnut amber – hints of polished copper when backlit. Nice large beige head that laces well; thick and creamy it can leave with you one of those beery moustaches at times. The head reduces in depth, but it stays all the way down the drink and leaves the glass walls with plenty of thick crusty lacing. Good levels of carbonation.

Nose: Some burnt brown sugar odors, which are quite invasive. Apart from that there are malts, caramel, Devon toffee, some sweet molasses and wholemeal bread.

Taste: A sweet malt taste is the ice-breaker. Bready at times. The sweetness persists though, and it supports the toasted malts, chewy dark toffee middle and sweet ending. Sweet, but yet, an astringent finish.

Mouthfeel: Overall it is fair to say that this has an average mouthfeel. Light body aided by the sweet malt aspects. Carbonation helps.

Drinkability: Well I had a few bottles of this. I drank two for the purpose of this Review, because it took me a while to ‘tune into’ this one. Could I drink anymore? Certainly not, it is a tad too sweet for me & slightly sickly after the second bottle.

Overall: Another beer that I felt I either did not understand, or I was not concentrating hard enough. Like some of the other Big Hole beers, I found it difficult to nail this one down. Is it poor? – NO, certainly not – but it is average. Would I buy it again – probably not.

2.85/5  rDev -7.5%

Found this at my latest trip to Trader Joe's. Presented in a 12oz brown bottle. Poured a clear dark amber color with a minimal fizzy white head that vanished down to a tiny cap. No lace.
Smell was all malt; a mix of buttery caramel and toffee with notes of brown sugar and molasses.
Taste was pretty much one-sided in favor of grainy malt and sweet of brown sugar and molasses. Virtually no hops throughout. Had a vague veggie aftertaste.
Feel was light- to medium-bodied, smooth and slick.
A truly average amber ale. Completely leaning toward a malt character with a minimal hops presence. Nothing I'd return to unless offered to me.

3.33/5  rDev +8.1%

Reddish brown color. Small white head. Aroma is fruity and sweet. A medium bodied amber ale. Malts are fruity and sweet. Hops are spicy and slightly bitter. For an amber it’s a little sweeter and a little drier than the average. Mouthfeel is full and round. Finish is clean and dry. Aftertaste is bitter.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last