My Blueberry Nightmare | Birrificio Del Ducato

Birrificio Del Ducato
Italy
birrificiodelducato.com

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

An extension of Birrificio Del Ducato's Verdi Imperial Stout - My Blueberry Nightmare is a stout brewed with hot chili, then aged for 2 years in oak barrels with blueberries.

Added by woosterbill on 08-31-2012

Good, but can only drink 1

4.85/5  rDev +47.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Italian Beers get a bad rap. Especially because Italians drink them, and the beer scene over there is still growing, so a lot of Italians aren't used to extreme beer.

If someone who's not really into beer tries most of Ducato's offerings, they might find it repulsive.

Ducato truly encompasses the idea of 'artisanal' beer. For this reason it takes quite the palate to appreciate the complexities of their creations. And I promise I only sound like this much of a snobby cunt when talking about Italian beers.

This is batch #4. Can't tell how old it is - Italian brewers aren't the best at dating their bottles.

Its base beer is (I believe) Ducato Verdi, which is the best stout coming out of Italy in my opinion. Brewed with some chiles, but they only add a bit of extra complexity; it is by no means a chile beer. This stout is then aged on blueberries in (I believe) some sort of oak whiskey barrels for two years. The souring yeast is not brettanomyces but rather pediococcus. This gives it a different sort of tartness.

On the nose, very sour (but not the same brett sour we're used to with things like OEC's beers). I can actually smell blueberry.

Taste is first a quick hit of sour, follow by a wave of juicy tartness. It doesn't scream blueberry unfortunately, but not many sours do. I do get hints of that berry flavor. It mellows out and you can pick apart all of the complexities; the oak is strong, but there's a bit of whiskey-ish barrely notes (if that makes sense). The end is the best part; aftertaste stings just a bit with that lingering chile.

Overall, a truly unique beer. I was hesitant to try it because of the Italian price tag (and because, no matter how much I love Italian beers, some are big hits and others are big misses). I'm glad I did.

My ending message: Don't pay attention to ratings on these sites when you're looking at Italian beers. Many of the ratings are from people who's craftiest beers are Guinness and Hoegaarden.

Ducato, once again, great brew. Keep being fucking weird.

4.83/5  rDev +47.3%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

look = dark purple, almost balck

smell= almost smells like a wine. The acid will burn y our nose hairs

taste= This beer is brewed in the "sour" style. So you will have to like sours to enjoy this beer. This is *very sour, but with a complexity that i've never tasted in other sours. Obviously, it tastes of blueberries. In my opinion this beer is a flagship of the style. If you like sours, then you have to try this; its not a 'maybe' beer. THIS BEER IS MY FAVORITE SOUR EVER!!!

4.65/5  rDev +41.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Had this last night on tap at Ebenezer's, served in a tulip glass.

A: Looks like a stout almost, but has a slight blue hue. 1/2 inch of head lingers a few minutes before dissipating. I was surprised how dark it was.

S: Blueberries and vinegar. You can tell there's sourness awaiting.

T: Again, blueberries dominate, along with the sour element. There are also very subtle hints of oak, but they're overpowered by the fresh wild blueberry flavor. While drinking this, I had no idea the alcohol was 11%....it's hidden incredibly well. I've had several blueberry beers in the past, but this is by far the best.

M: Very nice for a sour. Certainly not watery, and leaning a bit more toward the creamy end.

Overall: I don't understand nor agree with a few of the low reviews of this beer. I'm guessing they're from people who don't appreciate the sour style. I found it to be fantastic and cannot wait to have another poured at Ebenezer's today. I usually gravitate toward the IPA's, but if this is what a sour can be, count me in as a fan.

4.57/5  rDev +39.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

4.5/5  rDev +37.2%

L: Pours opaque deep dense dark brown to black with virtually no cap.
S: The nose is huge, searing the inside of your nostrils and is detectable from a few feet away and everchanging with blueberries, sour funk with traces of wet diaper and old sweatsocks, chilis, chili vegetal, coffee, chocolate and dank.
T: there is chili heat all the way through with blueberries bigger in the middle, a light chili vegetal undercurrent, and finishing with a big, intense tartness. The imperial stout flavors are way in the background and provide more int terms of texture and flavor. Not much whiskey going on either.
F: Medium body and medium high carbonation.
O: This is more of an experience than a drink with the heat, blueberry and tartness playing off one another. A lunatic beer not for the faint off heart.

4.39/5  rDev +33.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Birrifico Del Ducato's My Blueberry Nightmare, stout brewed with hot chili and aged in Whisky barrels with blueberries. 9.4% ABV.

A: Pours a deep blueberry juice color. Very dark purple, nearly black, in the glass. Goes a little lighter towards the top. A two-toned layer on the top: Clear on top of a dingy white. Brownish-purple in the dimple, with a decent pile of sediment (to be expected, due to the fruit).

S: Pretty solid cooked blueberry aroma straight out of the bottle! Yeah, I get a fair bit of pepper spice, along with the earlier blueberry. A decently strong aroma of blueberry acidity sticks out from the background. A bit of waxiness. A very light roastiness, somewhere between cocoa and light coffee. I had to really search for it, but there is a very faint Bourbon-y caramel note, well disguised by the peppers. Very slight cinnamon.

T/MF: Woah! I was not expecting that! The components all balance extremely well. There's an acidic blueberry juice flavor in the foreground. Some of the expected spice from the chilies tickles the roof of the mouth, moving along the back of the throat and tongue. There is a nice sweetness, that is far from overpowering. The beer is a little still, but I don't find it so bad to be distracting. Quite the pleasant surprise for my first Italian beer.

Poured from an 11.2 oz. bottle, into a Belgian tulip glass.

4.39/5  rDev +33.8%