Caybrew | Cayman Islands Brewery Ltd.

CaybrewCaybrew

Cayman Islands Brewery Ltd.
Cayman Islands
cib.ky

Style: Euro Pale Lager

Added by Todd on 06-05-2007

2.99/5  rDev +8.3%

2.63/5  rDev -4.7%

I was on cruise and traveled through the Cayman Islands. I tried this beer over lunch both on tap and in the bottle. It was what I would expect from a pale lager from an island countries.

L - It poured very light and had the typical head of many american pilsners.

S - It smelled like corn and grains noticeable in many beers of the same quality.

T - The beers taste was bland with no distinct flavor. The draft version had a very bitter aftertaste similar to a beer from a keg of busch light.

F - Although the taste wasn't that great It was light and refreshing for the warm tropical climate.

D - Drinkable for the hot weather. Goes down easy due to the light and carbonation.

Worthy of drinking in the Caymans but not one to seek out.

3.1/5  rDev +12.3%

A surprisingly good Lager comming out of the hot-weather culture that applauds beers of low flavor in favor of fizz, cold, and anything void of true malt.

Caybrew has a firm, yet light, malt character of pilsner grains, cracker-like flavor and soft sweetness- low on grain flavors, this beer is mellow and smooth. Hop aroma is floral and elegant, similar to noble German varieties and is present in aroma, flavor, and a soft bitter balance. No real flaws to the beer except maybe a light buttery note that blends in well with the malt sweetness and may even give the body a smooth texture, rather the being a deterant.

A good beer in the end- one I didn't expect to be.

2.89/5  rDev +4.7%

The CANQuest (TM) lives! My uncle came by with a few boxes for me and my first reaction was incredulousness since I was only expecting a couple of boxes. I opened one to discover this gem along with a Cigar City BC bottled beer to keep it company! It came with a handwritten note from GallowsThief explaining that he had recently been traveling in the Caribbean and thought of me and my madness. Wow! It is moments like this that reaffirm my devotion to CANs.

It was a pretty innocuous looking red, white and blue CAN without much to impart other than: "Brewed and packaged to the highest international standards by the Cayman Islands Brewery Ltd."; "The Premium Beer of the Cayman Islands".

The Crack & Glug resulted in better than a finger of fizzy bone-white head that looked like meringue atop the beer until it slowly fizzled its way out of existence. Color was a deep-gold with NE-quality clarity and loads of CO2 bubbles in evidence. Nose had a slightly metallic tang along with a cereal quality. This site has it listed as a "Euro Pale Lager", but it smelled like an AAL to me. Mouthfeel was thin-to-medium and the taste was initially slightly metallic, but I also got a standard lager sweetness, so I may have been mistaken about the presence of adjuncts. Finish was semi-dry and refreshing, which would be a definite plus in the Caymans. It is a pretty standard lager, in keeping with the low-key style. Decent, but not worth seeking out.

Keep 'em coming!

3.5/5  rDev +26.8%

3.16/5  rDev +14.5%

First stop on my recent cruise was Georgetown Grand Cayman where I had the opportunity to sample a few bottles of Caybrew while waiting for the line to the tender to go down. Served in a green bottle at Margaritaville by a waitress who seemed put out when I asked for a glass.
Pours a fizzy yellow bordering on gold with a good sized fluffy white head that dissipates quickly.
Smells of light grains a hint of corn and a slight floral hop note if I think about it real hard.
Taste is light and refreshing and hits the spot on this 90+ degree day. Light sweet malt with a hint of floral hops and a hint of skunk. Reminds me a lot of Heiniken or what I remember of Heniken.
Light body, crisp carbonation, watery mouthfeel. Light and refreshing on a warm day but little in the way of flavor for my wrecked palette.

3.5/5  rDev +26.8%

2.75/5  rDev -0.4%

2.65/5  rDev -4%

11.157 (?) oz bottle poured into a Sierra Nevada Imperial Pint. 5% ABV, Best by end (BBE): Jun/10 on neck.

Thanks to my friend Jason for bringing two bottles of this to share from his Honeymoon!

A - Pours crystal clear allowing all the carbonation bubbles to be visible. A big white head pops up with some loud effervescence only to drop to a thin layer quickly. No lace.

S - It's got the classic Euro Lager skunkiness to it. In the background are pale and pilsner smelling malts wrapped in a dry straw and husky nose. Crisp and clean with a low sweetness.

T - Pale malts with lots of dry straw and an off-putting huskiness. The typical skunkiness is there giving the finish a slightly unpleasant taste. Low lingering sweetness.

M - Slick on the tongue with a thin body and flavor. Moderately carbonated and crisp to the finish.

D - I can see it washing down well on a warm island but here, it's mediocre at best. Just another Euro lager that's a fair session beer. I can't say I'd be opposed to pounding a bunch of these under the sun though.

3.25/5  rDev +17.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

2.5/5  rDev -9.4%

2.5/5  rDev -9.4%

3.25/5  rDev +17.8%

2.63/5  rDev -4.7%

a: This was a clear, very pale golden color. It was served to me with a small, wispy head.

s: Not a lot going on, but nothing off either. Lightly sweet grains and little else.

t: Sweet breadiness and maybe some corn syrup. Not overly sweet, basically just bland. Relatively clean overall though.

m: Fizzy and wet.

o: Bland and refreshing. Pales in comparison to the Kubuli we had last year in Dominica

2.75/5  rDev -0.4%

3.3/5  rDev +19.6%

Poured from a bottle into a clear plastic beach cup. Pours deep straw/light golden in color with a thin and airy head. Retention and lacing are typically light for the style.

Offers a clean lager nose with some yeast, a touch of hops and a small amount of corn mixed in with other grains. Not skunky at all and the corn isn't a deterrent given the ratio.

Taste is slightly sweet but pleasant and easy. Any sweetness present is light in viscosity yielding a smooth feel and a light creamy texture on the finish. Offers good drinkability and is pretty well balanced. More of a less robust and improved Pacifico than a Heineken I would say. Moderate in body, drinks like a Euro/American combination lager; Euro in the hops department and with a light corn adjunct.

2.8/5  rDev +1.4%

Drank this one on a sunny beach in March on Grand Cayman. My review is almost certainly biased by the beautiful environs.

A-Yellow gold, fizzy, thin white head. About as expected for the style.

S-A little yeasty sourness is about it.

T-Not bad, again considering the style. A bit of yeast, a touch of malt, a memory of a hop.

M-Crisp, refreshing, unmemorable.

D-One to say I tried it, then back to margaritas and off to the package store across the street to get some Guinness Foreign Export Stout.

HV

3.72/5  rDev +34.8%

Could have sworn that I reviewed this beer before, but I guess not. Luckily, I had a friend bring me a 6er back from his trip. There's nothing that really stands out about this beer, except that it's not as skunky as other Euro lagers I've had. If anything, it's quite refreshing, with a nice balance of malts and hops. It's definitely a great beer for the hot summers down here, but I enjoy it on a cool evening as well.

The first time I tried it, I went on the free brewery tour. They gave out free bottomless "samples" in huge pilsner glasses, so I couldn't really complain about that at all. Very nice people run the brewery and a cool black lab out back.

3.01/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

Caybrew from Cayman Islands Brewery Ltd.