Hr. Frederiksen | Amager Bryghus

Added by BeerAdvocate on 03-08-2008

4.1

4.15/5  rDev +1.2%

4.19/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

4.68/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.15/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I am a newbie with Imperial Stouts, but this one dispelled any doubt created by what were almost certainly some bad bottles I bought from shops in Thailand that don't know or care about storing them properly.

I was a bit nervous about this one. People say its like getting punched in the face by some big lunk from Denmark named Hr. Fredricksen or something. Not at all. A wonderful bitter chocolate coffee experience following a sweet smooth initial layer. Perhaps Hr. Fredricksen decided not punch me and give me a nice cup of coffee, a whiskey and a chocolate mousse. Usually we get the bitter flavors pretty quick with many stouts, but this the bitterness comes in later and saves you from getting queasy on the initial sweetness. The alcohol worked very nicely to add depth and facilitate the whole range of slight hints of fruits and flowers.

Given the heavy amounts of malts and such that are used to make imperials, I would guess that this beer might have a similarly heavy syrupy mouth feel. Not at all, in fact I thought it could be more interesting if it were a bit heavier, but this is not a complaint.

I am getting a bit weary of quads and this was a nice refreshing change. Wonderful beer, I would definitely reach for it again if I had the chance.

4.22/5  rDev +2.9%

4.42/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Don't drink too fast! It gets even better as it warms. Nice light brown head, great mouthful. A top five coffee stout for me.

2.99/5  rDev -27.1%

Has a strong off-putting smell remaniscent of rubbing alcohol that lingers throughout the taste as well.

4.06/5  rDev -1%

The beer offers bitterness throughout with anise and licorice flavor. This is combined by a medium plus caramel and sugary sweetness and milk chocolate. A bright bitterness finishes up the beer. A medium mouthfeel.

3.75/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.17/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.18/5  rDev +2%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

I did not come to Brazil to drink Danish beer, but when a beer like Hr. Frederiksen falls into m lap, I will take a small taste, thank you. On to the beer:

The beer is black bodied and topped with solid head and good retention on top. A pleasing aroma excites the mood, as modest hops and a note of lactose set the table for a wonderful tasting experience. Coffee knocks on the door first, then a splash of bittering hops. With a strong note of chocolate, the beer takes on a pleasing bittersweet taste. It's a full bodied beer with a hoppy aftertaste, putting Hr. Frederiksen into good territory.

4.12/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.69/5  rDev -10%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.33/5  rDev -18.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Poured n2 a tulip glass I was initially excited by the reviews. With a hint of sweetness I was excited. My first initial taste and feel thought were good but I waited 4 it 2 settle b4 committing to my final scores. The more I drank the more my scores reduced. The hoppy bitterness at the end is not a flavor profile i prefer. Not sure why it got rated so well but I still have Pride by Amager to try! Hopefully it will be better?

4.17/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.01/5  rDev -2.2%

4.09/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.74/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.93/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

4.04/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

This is, notably, a collaboration with Mikkeler. Too much coffee, is what I would warn of.

Hr. Frederiksen from Amager Bryghus