Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Coconut Hiwa Porter | Maui Brewing Co.

Coconut Hiwa PorterCoconut Hiwa Porter

Hawaii, United States
mauibrewingco.com

Style: American Porter

Formerly CoCoNut Porter

A robust dark ale with hand-toasted coconut & hints of mocha.

Added by TurdFurgison on 03-12-2007

3.7

Ratings: 2,324 |  Reviews: 923

This porter was an amazing surprise. When I first noticed it in the store I saw that it was made with Coconut and was also a World Beer Cup Gold Award winner. This seemed completely counter intuitive to me since I am a cook and home brewer I am able to imagine tastes combinations before combining very accurately. This one was not connecting my head. Therefore I had to try it, regardless of the $10 for 4 cans price.

Now that I have tasted it, I would have paid $20! One of the best beers I have ever tasted and now, officially my absolute favorite porter.

The beer pours a wrongfully rich dark black that is impenetrable to a 100 watt light bulb. The head is incredibly thick, rich and long lived with a perfect tan coloring. The lacing is thick rick and slow to settle down the sides.

The nose is wonderful sweet malt, chocolate, nutmeg, roasted coconut, fresh cut grass and hints of the fragrant perfume orchid. It is a sweet floral nose with earthy undertones that is just fantastic.

The taste, the greatest surprise, is very much not overwhelmed by coconut. Even if you hate coconut, you will not hate this. There are notes of savory, sweet bitter and the subtle yet satisfying level of bitterness from the hops. The beer is perfectly balanced flavors that have a combination of bitter dark chocolate, some coffee, bread, heavy cream and rolls over the palate from savory sweet to bitter with almost no after taste. The mouthfeel is rich, creamy and super smooth.

I absolutely love this beer and it will become a staple for me. I rarely give 5 out of 5 for any beer. This is rare and wonderful treat. I just recommend letting it warm to about 54 degrees to get the complexity of the flavors. I took my from the fridge and let it set for about 20 minutes before pouring.

Coconut Hiwa Porter from Maui Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 3.95 out of 5 with 2,324 ratings