Coconut Hiwa Porter | Maui Brewing Co.

good
Read the review
Coconut Hiwa PorterCoconut Hiwa Porter

Maui Brewing Co.
Hawaii, United States
mauibrewingco.com

Style: American Porter

Formerly CoCoNut Porter

A robust dark ale with hand-toasted coconut & hints of mocha.

Added by TurdFurgison on 03-12-2007

Ratings: 2,291 |  Reviews: 918

I want more of this beer. I'm willing to travel to Maui to get it!

I didn’t go to Hawaii for the beer… but I will go back for the beer. Holy crap, did we discover one of the best beers ever made. We actually found it by accident. While on the island of Oahu, we stopped in for a drink at Yard House. I LOVE Yard House, as they have one of the most impressive beer selections of anywhere. Hundreds of beers on tap; not even kidding. One of the beers was the Coconut Porter from the Maui Brewing Company. We were in Hawaii, so why not try a beer from the island?

Now I don’t like coconut… but this beer might change my mind. The beer smells incredible, and tastes even better. Smelling this beer makes me want to take a bath in it. (Is that possible?) The beer is also quite smooth, with a bit of a kick toward the middle of the palate. Then you are hit with a smooth, somewhat sweet aftertaste that just sends you to the next sip.

Having left the island, we figured we could order this back home in the Hoosier state. Wrong… only on the FAR west coast and on the island. The beer is also only served in a can (1000 bottles and a can on the wall?) They have a good reason for only serving in a can, so I won’t hold it against them. It tastes just fine out of the can and just as good on tap. (We ended up going back to Yard House three more times while we were on the island.)

The beer is just so well balanced. I think part of the reason I like it is because I can’t get it here at home. Sheryl actually took a trip to California last year and brought a few four packs home with her. She even grabbed a four pack of their IPA. I have not yet visited the island of Maui, but I can’t wait to go back to Hawaii, if nothing more than this beer. That, and to meet the man who goes by @Hawaii on Twitter! (He doesn’t drink beer, but he comes from the place that produces this sweet nectar of the gods.)

This beer is fantastic. Even if you don’t like porter, give it a chance. You won’t be sorry. And don’t let the coconut part throw you off. I despise coconut, and love this beer. Well done boys… bottoms up!

4.97/5  rDev +24.9%

Thanks a million to Weibull for this amazing porter!!!!

12oz can into a Pint Glass

A- Solid black with a thin 1 finger tan head that doesn't leave to much lacing.

S- Roasted sweet coffee with a nice hint of coffee and coconut.

T- Delicious roasted dark malts compliment a sweet coconut coffee flavor that makes this beer so amazing. This porter will forever be my favorite. There's no other one like it, so well blended and so flavorful. Get Some!

M- Medium to full body with a nice creamy fullness that also has some chalky characteristics but not bad. Moderate carbonation on the tongue and a slight bitter dry finish.

SkÅL!

4.94/5  rDev +24.1%

Epic brew from Maui! Light nutty brown pour from 12oz. can. Nice two finger frothy head and a real coconut aroma. The coconut hits the nose immediately and is a proper introduction to what flavor was to come. Great coconut flavor, not overly sweet, and well balanced with a malty mocha notes. The creaminess of the beer is spectacular, it's richness in body is truely unique in my experience with porters. Grade A Maui, hopefully I won't have to drive 12 hours to get your next offering!

4.91/5  rDev +23.4%

4.89/5  rDev +22.9%

The can design looks like one of those Starbucks coffee and cream drinks found in supermarkets. Short explanation of why cans are better than bottles, and lots of words and designs on the can. On to the beer:

Some ruby brown hues can be spotted at the bottom of my glass. The beer is opaque in color with a short-lived rocky head before it settles into a one centimeter creamy head. Wow, what a wonderful smell! Fresh coconut and semi-sweet baking choclate tease the nose, molasses creeps out too. Exceptional! Exceptional! One of the best smells I've run across in a beer.

My mouth waters as I anticipate the flavor in my mouth. Yummy yum yum! The flavors are great...semi-sweet chocoalte and molasses are the mainstays, with the coconut flavor close behind. The coconut gains its dominance towards the end of each drink. Has an Alomnd Joy finish to it.

...like hot chicks on the beach, CoCoNut PorTeR (eah! that hurt my eyes!) is mysterious, deceptive, and could never have too many.

Long overdue update on 4/12/11: CoCoNut Porter has become one of my favorites. It also makes a great desert beer.

4.85/5  rDev +21.9%

4.85/5  rDev +21.9%

WOW! Poured a very dark brown, with a slight amount of tan foam. The smell of sweet coconut and chocolate fill the nose with a pleasant sweet aroma of the tropic's. The taste was the same as the aroma, except the taste of coconut was number one, the semi sweet chocolate was number two, with a slight hint of the roasted malts being number three. I just loved this porter. This will go as one of my favorites and will buy six packs upon six packs next time I visit Maui, next year for sure. Aloha and Mahalo to Maui Brewing Company!

4.83/5  rDev +21.4%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Delicious coconut and coffee notes on top of a traditional porter flavor.

4.77/5  rDev +19.8%

I can get this now that they started distributing it to Southern California. It is about the 4th can of it that I have had and I love this stuff.

It pours a nice very dark brown color with a nice size light brown head that was about 1/2 and inch thick.

The smell is awesome. Smells of hints of coconut, bitter chocolat, and expresso beans.

Taste is exactly as it smells with all the roasted flavours and a good malt base. I wish it had a little more coconut flavour since that was what i was expacting and hoping for because the coconut is very hidden in the background.

Mouthfeel is good and of any other porter but i wish it had a creamier mouthfeel because with the coconut it feels appropriate.

A very good beer none the less and i will drink many more of thease but I just wish it had a little more coconut character (creamyness and flavour) which is why im experementing with homebrew...

4.77/5  rDev +19.8%

special thanks to JoshuaGarrett4 for the cali delivery.

A - its pretty beautiful, nice dark color, thick head that might be a little much, but a beautiful lace that lingers for a good while.

S - really great and interesting as well, has coconut and chocolate notes. really nice.

T - really impressive complex tastes, chocolate notes linger long after, coconut on the initial taste was great.

M - little lacking, but everything else makes up for it.

O - pretty solid, would love to find some more of this sometime.

4.75/5  rDev +19.3%

Coconut Hiwa Porter from Maui Brewing Co.