Coconut Hiwa Porter | Maui Brewing Co.

Coconut Hiwa PorterCoconut Hiwa Porter

Hawaii, United States
mauibrewingco.com

Style: American Porter

Formerly CoCoNut Porter

A robust dark ale with hand-toasted coconut & hints of mocha.

Added by TurdFurgison on 03-12-2007

Liked:
3.95/5
Alströms:
3.7

Ratings: 2,308 |  Reviews: 919
4.33/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Pours brown blank with a nice white head, smell is a bit weak with a slight scent of coconut. Taste is great with the coconut smoothing all components of the brew out. Mouth feel is full, overall a very nice Porter.

4.33/5  rDev +9.6%

Finally worked out a trade and received a 4-pack of this fabled brew from CoreyRhoads. Big thanks Corey!

A-Deep dark brown with barley noticeable deep ruby highlights along the edges. Crazy, frothy, thick tan head that receded to a small cap that left nice lace.

S-Dark roasted malt with hints of coffee and a bit of a burnt quality. This is not a roust aroma but it is present for sure.

T-Dark roasted malt with a healthy dose of espresso and toasted coconut flavour in the background. This is fairly complex and absolutely delicious!

M-Medium bordering on medium-light body with a nice silkiness. Ends very smooth with a building dryness.

D-A 5.5% session drinker with ALL this flavour....crazy! This would be a 5 if it wasn't for the building dryness...I would have to take a break and wet myself down a bit....before cracking another.

Another craft beer from a can that kicks ass! Great job Maui Brewing!

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.33/5  rDev +9.6%

This beer was served out of a 12oz. can dispensed into a glass....

Presentation - Very Cool graphics and coloring on the can.

Appearance - Poured a deep dark brown witha 2 finger tan brown head that slowley dissipated into a nice foam ring. Light lacing on the glass the whole way down.

Smell - A very slight hint of coconut but not as much as I expected. Smells of nice toasted chocolate and coffee.

Taste - Chocolaty and a major coffee influence. Toasted coconut on the back end. Not much coconut at first but the more this warmed up the more the coconut flavor came through.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied with a slightly creamy feel. A medium amount of carbonation.

Drinkability - Highly drinkable because of the medium body and great flavor.

This beer was excellent. I recieved this beer in a trade with MrHirschybar and really wish I was able to get it in my area. Highly recommend!!!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.33/5  rDev +9.6%

Appearance: Appears to be a delicious porter.

Smell doesn't really remind me of coconut until I was almost done with the glass. Otherwise, roasted and chocolate malt, toasted nuts, pure vanilla, and other unidentifiable fruit flavors.
As far as taste... yeah there it is. Delicious. More chocolate and nuts, a hint of coffee. Coconut and faint hops round out the finish. For some reason I expected fresh coconut, but they probably toast it first, and that's how it tastes. Medium bodied like a good porter should be. A little tannic. Perfectly integrated. This is my kind of session beer, one of the best porters I've ever had.

4.33/5  rDev +9.6%

Poured from a 12 oz can into a New Belgium globe glass. There is a "canned on" date on the bottom of the can but I can't make it out.

A: Almost black, just a hint of brown and red around the edges. Tan head.

S: Chocolate, toffee, roasted malt, a slight whiff of toasted coconut.

T: A damn fine porter in it's own right, but the toasted coconut really puts this one over the top. The coconut is very mild but it perfectly accents the other porter flavors. The finish is quite dry.

M: Medium bodied and very smooth.

D: A very good beer. Worth seeking out for sure.

4.33/5  rDev +9.6%

Appearance - Nice and dark with reddish hues, pour it aggressively and it has an awesome head. Looks incredible coming out of the can.

Smell - Smells like fresh coconut.

Taste - Creamy coconut with roasted flavors. (The first one I had was really cold, and still delicious, but I set one out and let it warm up some, this really opened up the flavor.)

Mouthfeel - Medium body with some creaminess to it, nice carbonation.

Drink - Perfect drink, very much a session beer I think. Too bad it only comes in four packs around $10 here.

Loved this beer, I had tried the collaboration coconut porter and wasn't all that impressed so I had my doubts about this porter when I bought it. But I was pleasantly surprised. Easily one of my favorite porters now.

Edit: last few times I have had this the flavor hasn't been as bold or delicious so I lowered it a bit.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

12 ounce can into a Belgian Tulip or whatever.

I've never had this brew before but my main man SomethingClever gave me the hook-up once again. Let's get down with the brew. This pours a Handsome Dark Briwn body...to the point it appears Black in the Glass. Nice Dark Brown hues Round the glass looking Mysterious. The brew was crowned with a fluffy Khaki Head of Foam. Looks pretty Outstanding!

Aroma should be a treat! Picking up first Coffee roast on the whiff. It's pretty intense and I digs it. Second waves molest your nasil passages with Cocoa and Roasted Barley complexity. Subtle Caramel in there too but my mind might be playing games on me. Smells pretty Banging if you ask me!

Let's taste this Muv! The initial flavor goes with Chocolate and Coffee that slaps the tastebuds around a bit. Second wave comes in and there is the Toasted Coconut in the distance. Enough to make itself known. A bit of caramel sweetness backs it up adding a Monds Bar appeal. This finishes smooth and slightly chalky with lingering Chocolate, Toasted Nuts and Coconut in the aftertaste. The feel on this is light smooth body with cola-esque carbonation.

Overall: This is a Tasty little Beverage. Nothing negative to say about it, outstanding Porter that brings Candy Bar to liquid form. I wish I had more of it! Could it have more Heft, sure. This, though, is fine just the way it is...this Brew is Recommended!

4.33/5  rDev +9.6%

Thanks to klevelandrocks for this amazing extra!!!

Poured from can into perfect pint glass

A- opaque brown that gives a one and a half inch beige head. No lacing.

S- muted roasted malts with only a slight Panama Jack tanning lotion smell.

T- this Porter tastes great! Chocolate and coffee with earthy tastes. Coconut is fleeting and not noticeable in every sip. If This was called a stout I wouldn't have a problem with That

M- about right for a Porter. Medium bodied with great carbonation that delivers the flavor to all areas of the palate.

D- pretty good. Not to sweet and goes down smooth. Great session beer. Wish I had more

4.32/5  rDev +9.4%

This beer pours a very dark brown color, with a light brown head. the head fades slowly, leaving a sparce lacing.

This beer has a toasted coconut aroma. Ity smells sweet and malty. It have a very subtle chocolate aroma as well.

This beer tastes much like it smells. A very nice toasted coconut flavor. Very nice. It has a malty sweet flavor as well, mixing in with some coffee.

This beer is crisp and smooth. It leaves a coconut like aftertaste. It is a little highte in carbonation than I would have expected.

This beer would probably make a decent session beer. It is low enough in alcohol. The flavor though may become cloying after a time.

Overall: This was probably the best beer I had while in Hawaii. I am glad to have brought back a few 4 packs, since I have never seen it in the continental US. Great beer, and I will buy it every time I see it.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

4.32/5  rDev +9.4%

Going to be very sad to not have this beer around me after I leave this wonderful

A: Pours (forgot how weird it is to pour a can into a glass) a deep mahogany brown, but black as black when not held up to a light. The one and a half inch head fades in a minute or two but sticks around as a thin cap but with little lacing.

S: At first smell, sweet as chocolate cake batter with some coconut shavings and fresh ground coffee on top, then we get into the swing of things when these aromas mix together with a slightly bitter smokiness that really ties this beer together and makes it sing.

T/MF: Sweet at first, right on the tip of the tongue then moves all across the tongue and gets deeper, darker and smokier. Chocolatey sweetness mixes wonderfully with toasted coconut, coffee-like bitterness and a slight fruitiness, I'm imagining raspberries and cherries but covered in dark chocolate. This being said the beer is not overly rich and heavy, it dances on the tongue and leaves the mouth a bit dry.

D: A fantastic beer, very difficult to just sip, but it's what allows the complexity of this beer to shine through. I'd say that one is about enough in one sitting, then you start to get coconut burps and those I can do without. Oh but I will this beer and Maui Brewing Company. Must return soon, hopefully they will be around for a while.

look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A- Pours a very dark brown....wouldn't call it black, and has reddish hues right around the edges. This has a mocha latte colored head that is rich and dense, a couple of fingers thick, and settles to a fine film over the brew. The lacing is modest at best, and it's hard to tell how carbonated the beer is, but I can see some small columns rising up.

S- I smell robust, toasted coffee beans and dark unsweetened baker's chocolate for the most part. There is a hint of sweetness that I don't smell in other porters....I'm guessing it's the coconut but I don't really smell the nut in particular. Mild bitterness on the finish, but mainly earthy dryness.

T- This is a very robust, very creamy porter, that's for sure. Again, dominant flavors of cocoa and some coffee bean, along with toasted malt, burnt brown sugar and some vanilla bean. The coconut flavor is slightly more noticeable but it is very modest, providing just a hint of milky lactose-like sweetness. The finish is a balancing act of bitter and dry....just enough to keep the glass close by for another drink soon after.

M- Super creamy, and such a well balanced flavor profile, this medium-full bodied porter is rich and exotic. Really gets me in the mood to lounge around and sip on this, while letting the afternoon sun pass me by.

O- A very well crafted brew overall! Slightly sweet, almost Guinness like, but more tropical. This is an excellent all weather dark beer, and would be great with a steak dinner or even as a desert brew. As it warms, the robustness gets even deeper and the buttery texture gets even smoother. When I go to Maui in a few months, this could very well be a go to brew for me!

4.32/5  rDev +9.4%

Thanks to swnicholson in Black Booty 2009 for this 12 oz can.

A: The porter is a dark stout black that, even when held to light, doesn't waver in it darkness. A finger of head from the pour is busy lacing around the glass.

S: The nose is heavy on porter aromas, dark and rich with coffee and chocolate. Coconut adds a lush sweetness that changes the direction of the ale without sacrificing the porter's strong coffee profile.

T: I hate coconut. Having beared that deeply held secret, let me profess that I love this beer. The porter is strong, thick and delicious with the coconut flitting in like a barrel-aged profile, augmenting the porter at just the right times. The porter, as in the nose, is rich and full. Coffee dominates, followed by a cocoa powder and chocolate combo that is nearly as strong. Coconut lingers throughout, a sweet covalent bond uniting the porter atoms. The more I sip, the more I appreciate the coffee flavors. I normally drink my coffee black, but some coconut milk may be a nice addition.

M: The mouthfeel is rich and silky, mostly porter with just enough coconut to be noticed. Much, much better than I was expecting.

D: Thank you, sir, may I have another?!? An excellent porter that doesn't skimp on the coffee. Oh yeah, the coconut is a nice element as well.

4.32/5  rDev +9.4%

Poured from a can into a pub glass. Pitch black brew with very slight amount of tan head. Head was minimal after ~10 minutes.

Smells mainly of toasted malt, expresso, and a small hint of coconut. Very robust aroma.

Sipping the beer, the bitter bitter chocolate is upfront, with some of the sweetness from the malt and coconut coming at the finish. Slightly syrupy beer that coats the tongue well. Carbonation was at an appropriate level, not too effervescent, but enough to help deliver the beer's smell to your nose and taste onto your taste buds.

Very easy drinking beer. Had a couple of cans over a period of two hours.

4.32/5  rDev +9.4%

A- Pours pitch black, with a dark cream head that dissipates quickly.

S- Milk chocolate, coffee and a hint of toasty coconut.

T- Chocolaty, lots of coffee, a little sweet and the finish is a mixture of the toasted coconut and the coffee. I expected there to be more coconut flavor, but it has been sitting in the fridge for a while. None the less, it is very tasty.

M- Medium body with medium carbonation.

D- I could drink this all night or even all day on the beach.

I feel very lucky to have been able to try this delicious Hawaii brewed beer here in the corn fields of middle America. Thanks Camp!

4.32/5  rDev +9.4%

HUGE thanks to fordest for this one. I was lucky to find somebody with one, and he came through big with his final one for me! Black pour, with a nicely lasting attractive brown head. Smell is a delicious sweet roasty creaminess at first reminding me of a good oatmeal stout. As it opens I think I can detect a tiny hint of coconut in the nose, and it comes off just a hint plasticy for a while, but not offensively so. Taste...Exceptionally smooth, creamy, slightly sweet and roasted with a noticeable, and perfectly highlighted toasted coconut flake flavor in the finish. Very nice! Full bodied, slightly thick, flavorful, and all around a very enjoyable beer that I wish I could get more readily... Just what I hoped it'd be, and easily one of my favorites. Worth getting if you have the chance!

4.32/5  rDev +9.4%

Thanks go to BrewBakerE for the chance to try this brew:

A - Pours black with a massive cream colored head that dissipated quickly into a light ring leaving no lace.

S - Dark fruits, burnt tobacco, burned grainy malts resembling a grass fire (not in a bad way), and roasted coconut.

T - Roasted malts, light chocolate, roasted coconut, and a spice that I can't put my finger on.

M - Lighter then I thought it would be, but not in a bad way. Hefty carbonation with a lingering flavor from the roast.

D - Good brew. Excellent complexity, but not overwhelming. Light enough to drink on a hot day and sessionable ABV makes it easy to have several. Would pick more up in the future if given the chance.

look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to wetherel for this unique treat.

12 oz. can poured into a pint glass.

Pours a thin black with a one finger light khaki colored head that quickly dies down to a small layer of bubbles. Stickiness is minimal at best. Smell is a perfect combination of coconut and chocolate malt. Smokey barley with a carmelized sweetness in the nose as well. A mild earthy hop aroma makes its presence known. Charred wood flavor up front followed by an artificial coconut milk. Barley and cocoa powder make up the aftertaste. Milky medium bodied texture in the mouth, fits quite well. Soft carbonation coats throughout. There have only been a few porters that I have enjoyed, this one definitely fits in to that category. So glad I had the opportunity to try this one. Thanks again wetherel!

4.32/5  rDev +9.4%

At Mala's Ocean Tavern in Lahaina on Maui, the waiter cracked open a can of this Coconut Porter and poured it straight down into a frosted pint glass. 4 inches of foam came up and I told him I would do the pouring...

This beer, when handled gently, pours a gritty brown black color with a chocolaty foamy head that lasts quite a while. It looks thick. On the nose I get a lot of toasted barley with a blast of coffee. I guess you could call it toasted coconut if you were looking for it. On the tongue the beer feels huge with slightly sweet toffee, toasted barley, then a surge of coffee and finally a lingering burnt note that is perfect. No fruity esters and the hops are in the background only. Smooth with a balanced finish. Highly drinkable.

Overall: not sure I found the coconute, but this makes a great coffee porter.

look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Got this can as an extra from miikezombie, Thanks man, very generous.

Poured from can into pint goblet - Canned 03/04/11

A: Poured Lava Stone Black w/ one and half finger head that dissipated into a non- existant lacing,Good carbonation.

T: Deep roasted malts, bitter coffee,slight coconut hints,mild hops.

O: Overall I was expecting a coconut flavored syrup mess, Instead I was surprised that this porter actually tastes like a porter ,It does have enough coconut to observe the flavor however it's by no means overwellming and it only compliments a well blended and balanced poter - Very well done.

look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a deep black/brown with a one finger light brown head. Minimal lacing. Aroma of sweet chocolate and molasses along with a good balance of coffee beans and a touch of hops. Really nicely crafted sweet porter. Initial hit of sweet chocolate, not overly sweet, but very nice. Little kick of roasted coffee and hops before a sweet creamy finish. Hints of vanilla, coconut and coconut milk to finish off this tasty brew. Really complex flavor profile.

Coconut Hiwa Porter from Maui Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 78.6% out of 100 with 2,308 ratings