Coconut Hiwa Porter | Maui Brewing Co.

good
Read the review
Coconut Hiwa PorterCoconut Hiwa Porter

Maui Brewing Co.
Hawaii, United States
mauibrewingco.com

Style: American Porter

Formerly CoCoNut Porter

A robust dark ale with hand-toasted coconut & hints of mocha.

Added by TurdFurgison on 03-12-2007

Reviews: 896 | Ratings: 2,219
3.72/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Brown pour, immediately noticeable that this is not a robust, imperial or porter that approaches stout like viscosity or heft. You get a 1/6" off white head. The aroma is a relatively complex mix of coconut, coffee, sugar, wood and toffee.

Taste still hits those coconut strides well. Not elite tier coconut beer by any means, but serviceable. Relatively smooth, probably from a lesser amount of roasted malt compared to the big boys. Chocolate malt need not always be subject to heavy bitter roasting. Price seems high for format, but still better than a bomber.

3.72/5  rDev -6.8%

Can poured into my Stone IRS tulip. Canned 7/21/11.

A- Pours a very dark brown-black with a very foamy jagged khaki colored head. Lots of bubbles floating up to the top. No visible lacing on the glass.

S- Smells of dark chocolate, roasted coconut, bready, yeasty, dark fruits, oats.

T- Identical to the nose. Same notes, a little more toasted coconut on the aroma side of the house but still delicious. Very tasty porter, alot going on.

M- Slick mouthfeel, too much carbonation, a little thin but very drinkable.

O- A delicious porter and glad i get to enjoy it regularly.

3.72/5  rDev -6.8%

I would've been happy with just one can Brian! Enjoyed from an oversized tulip.

Pour is dark brown, very nearly black. There's a tight half-finger brown head that quickly fades. Tiny, soda-like bubbles cling to the glass and then wash down into the body of the beer.

My first impression of the aroma is that this is a very chocolate-forward beer. Milk and semisweet chocolate come through in near-equal proportions. There's a touch of coffee, some caramel, and a little vanilla, too. But alas, no coconut.

Surprisingly, there's not too much chocolate in the taste. There is, however, a lot of vanilla - not a cloying, artificial vanilla but a more natural, vanilla bean flavor. There's a little hazelnut aftertaste as well. A sweet beer that works well in a 12 oz. format - I don't think I could put down too much more of this.

Carbonation is on the high side. For a beer so rich and sweet, a smoother mouthfeel would be nice.

I don't know if I'd ever peg this for a coconut beer, but it is very pleasant. Simple and drinkable.

3.71/5  rDev -7%

Received as an extra from Destral (I think). Thanks man!

I mean seriously, who doesn't want to drink something that says 'with hand toasted coconuts'? It's already got 3/4 of the people in its corner due to the packaging.

A- Nice and dark, like daddy likes 'em.

S- I know my sense of smell is for shit, but I'm getting very little scent from this.

T- Pretty nice. A little too much carbonation, but good flavor. Plus, as an extra, this shit just looks good when you open it up, pretty unique for us down in FL.

M- Good, a little light but not bad.

O- Not too bad at all. It's no Duck Rabbit (or whatever the hell they call it) Baltic Porter or Cigar City Jose Marti Porter but it definitely is worth a try.

3.71/5  rDev -7%

Chilled can into a glass.

A: Pours a black body with brown tones to it, capped by a finger of dark tan head. Retains poorly, receding into a thin cap on top with streaks of lacing down the sides.

S: Dark chocolate, roasted malt, vanilla, and light coffee. I'm surprised that there isn't much coconut in the aroma; it smells to me like any other porter.

T: Coconut and roasted malt up front -- here's where the smell was lacking. Light coffee and light dark chocolate in the mid-taste, pulling into a sweet, but lightly bitter, finish where coconut reappears with vanilla.

M: Medium-full body, moderate carbonation. Doesn't get too sticky or cloying at first, though it started getting too much by the end of the can.

D: I thought this was an interesting take on the style. I could go for another one sometime.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A-Pours a dark brown. Head is decently dark as well. Head bubbles down to a few foamy islands here and there.

S-Traditional Porter notes. Chocolate and coffee…not picking up much coconut sadly. I really wanted this beer to just wreak of coconut.

T-Again, mostly straight Porter. I do pick up some coconut but not nearly as much as I wanted. I also get a slight metallic twang too unfortunately. Its actually pretty good but if I tried this blind I know I wouldn't label this a coconut Porter.

M-Medium bodied. Lightly bitter. Drinkable with a good overall feel and bubbles that tickle.

O/D-Its still a solid beer but I would label this a big disappointment. I have always wanted to try this because I thought I would be getting some huge coconut notes. I leave this beer slightly unhappy. A good Porter, nothing more.

3.7/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Review from BeerAdvocate Magazine July 2007.

Can says " ... like hot chicks on the beach." Anyhoo, this ro- bust porter is spiced with all-natural hand-toasted coconut.

Pitch-black in color, with milky coffee-colored head
that doesn't seem to retain well. Big chocolate aroma-- rich, powdery and enticing--with soft coconut milk and meat in the back. Medium-bodied, harsh and prickly on the palate, with a mineral bite of carbonation. Initially quite astringent on the palate, with a big roasted and acidic edge that's fairly intense and sharp. Robust as hell. Things smooth out a bit, allowing some malt complexities to shine through, with notes of chocolate and coffee. There's a good dose of sweetness to balance things out, as dots of vanilla and smooth coconut flavors fold into each other. Nutty undertones. Toasty. Hard to discern any real hop character, but there's some herbal notes here and there. A touch of astringency in the drying finish, with some residual sweetness that makes for a smoother ending.

Pretty harsh at first, but as the beer warms, it really opens up and becomes a very tasty brew. The coconut is well-embedded, but not overwhelming, and there's plenty of balance and complexities to keep things interesting. Pairing? Macaroons all the way!

3.7/5  rDev -7.3%

Picked this up today at Vendome Toluca Lake...poured from a can into a pint glass.

A: Dark brown...a little light gets through but not too much. I got about a 2 finger tan head that left just a thin film. Lacing looks syrupy but doesn't seem to have a lot of staying power.

S: Smell is a bit sweet and I detect a bit of chocolate. There's some roastiness as well, but seems pretty subdued. I don't honestly smell any coconut. There may be a little nuttiness to it as well, but it's kinda hard to tell.

T: Opening is roasty, and doesn't really have the rich chocolate flavor I noted in the smell. After a few seconds, a bit of sweetness comes out. I can tell the sweetness is coconut, but it's certainly not overwhelming. The more sips I have, the more coconut I can taste. It's a bit of a toasted coconut, which I think adds to the roasted character.

MF: Good carbonation as you would expect from the style. The beer itself is fairly thin but the carbonation makes up for this. There is a bit of a metallic feel, although I don't know if that's from the can or from the carbonation. I suspect it is from the can.

D: This is a solid porter. I don't find the coconut to be overdone, and I think the sweetness is a nice balance to the roastyness. In general, porter's are usually a bit too roasty for me so this hits the spot, at least for the style. I could do without the metallic taste. Beer just isn't as good out of a can. Good sessionable beer though. Not really a style I seed out, but would probably recommend it if someone was looking for a porter.

3.7/5  rDev -7.3%

12oz can courtesy of BrewerB, thanks man. Dark black, not much head. It smells roasty, and good, hints of coconut. The flavor is a robust porter, roasty with only the slightest hint of coconut, maybe its the power of suggestion? Mouthfeel is smooth but a little thin and this is easy to drink but I don't think I'd want more than one at a time.

3.7/5  rDev -7.3%

Poured into a bruery tulip. Black with a thin tan head that quickly dissipates into a ring around my glass. Aroma of smokey malts coffee and some vanilla notes. Taste is more subdued than the nose, the smoke is there, very light coconut notes and finishes with coffee. Mouthfeel is smooth but maybe a little over carbonated. Pretty good, I was hoping for more coconut but it's not a bad all around porter

3.7/5  rDev -7.3%

This is the first "craft" beer I've had in a can, so I was quite excited to try it.

The beer is very dark brown in appearance, almost black. Light brown head, about 1/4 inch thick and it dissipated quickly.

The smell was very pleasant, with a slight coconut aroma and a hint nuttiness.

The beer had a roasted barely taste, with faint carmel flavors. Unfortunately I could not taste any coconut.

Mouthfeel was just average. I found the beer had a lot of carbonation, almost a bit too much.

Overall, I thought the beer was not too complex, but had a rather one dimensional flavor. Still, it was quite enjoyable and worth a try.

3.69/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Can (2012)

Texas Liquor
Carlsbad, CA

Dark brown throughout with a moderate brown head that eventually leaves a small ring atop the beer. This leaves the glass near clean on the way down. Appropriate, but not special in appearance.

The aroma is certainly the star of the show here, with nice amounts of coconut and hazelnut coffee leading the way, along with mild roast and toast. There's a bit of a maple sweetness as well, interestingly enough. Wonderful aroma.

The flavor isn't quite as unique or simply as enjoyable as the aroma. The coconut, roast, and sweetness are still there, but there's also a touch of an acidic character that isn't exactly complementary to the rest of the porter.

Medium body with moderate-low carbonation.

Good enough, but not overly special.

3.69/5  rDev -7.5%

It smells mildly like coconut, but I wouldn't toss this at any coconut fanatics. They'd be disappointed. But as a nice rich porter, it had a great mouth feel and good flavors.

3.69/5  rDev -7.5%

12 oz can poured into a Sam Adams perfect pint glass.

A: Poured a very dark brown with hints of red... A good fingers worth of tan head that fades quickly with no lacing to speak of.

S: Here is where this beer shines... wonderful smells... strong roasted malts, chocolate, coffee, cream and a nice underlying coconut.

T: Much like the smell.... roasted malt upfront followed by a strong coffee with cream.... right at the end I'm getting a little bitter chocolate and finishes with a light coconut. Right on the money for a Coconut porter.

M: Mid-Bodied, pretty dry yet creamy.... Very nice.

O: A very good porter.... Coconut is slight but adds that little extra to a very good porter. Very session worthy.

3.69/5  rDev -7.5%

Received this as an extra in a trade. Poured into my Duvel tulip.

A - Pours a nice deep dark brown with a good two finger mocha head that slumped to leave a nice thick blanket with very nice light side lacing.

S - Good roasted malts and coffee. Not much coconut.

T - Like the nose there are good roasted malts and coffee. There is some light coconut. Light chocolate, almost like a mounds bar.

M - Mouthfeel is a bit thin and watery but translates well with the flavour.

O - Overall there are some really nice flavours and appearance but perhaps this was an old can as the aroma and mouthfeel were both rather lacking.

3.68/5  rDev -7.8%

Brown color with an off-white head that quickly dissipates. Aroma of smoke, coconut, chocolate, and maple syrup. Taste has coconut, chocolate, coffee, and maybe some molasses. Higher than medium carbonation with light body. An interesting beer to try, but I'd like a little more body perhaps. Thanks to marchcow for the sample.

3.68/5  rDev -7.8%

12 oz can with a canned on date of 030411. Pours pretty black with a creamy cap of light brown head. Retention and lacing both quite good.

Nose is roasty malt, toasty almonds and a light dusting of coconut flakes. Hops are pretty minimal. I was hoping for a bit more coconut to be honest.

Cocoa powder with roasty and nutty malt are the main flavor components with coconut and hop presence both bringing up the rear. The coconut is slick and oily almost, with very little sweetness coming forth. I almost think it could benefit from a little more sweetness and body. It is a pretty enjoyable beverage though, and I am glad MBC has decided to come to Texas, I will surely buy a couple four-packs of this each year.

3.68/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: Dark brown to the point of being black with a two fingers worth of tan froth.

Aroma: Rich dark malts.

Taste: Starts with creamy dark malt that gives some bittersweet chocolate and day-old black coffee to the flavor. Hard to detect the toasted coconut but a well rounded flavor none-the-less. The finish is the highlight with a toffee and cream flavor leading to an aftertaste of long lingering coffee bitterness. About where it should be in terms of robustness for 6% ABV.

Mouthfeel: Medium in body with average carbonation and good drinkability.

Final Thoughts: While I admit myself a bit let down that Maui Brewing Coconut Porter didn't deliver on the 'coconut' part of its name, I am happy to say it did a great job on the 'porter' part. A good example of the American take on the style with big robustness for a moderate ABV. Would I drink it again? Sure.

3.68/5  rDev -7.8%

A=Pours a thick black color with a creamy 2 finger head that dissipates, lots of lacing clings to the glass
S=Toasted malt, faint coconut, good bit of chocolate as well.
T=Toasted malt and a bit of coconut, faint chocolate in the finish.
M=Medium bodied and highly carbonated, typical of a porter and very satisfying
O=I wish the coconut had been a bit more emphasized, but this is definitely one of the better porters I have had

3.68/5  rDev -7.8%

Served from the can into a nonic pint glass

A- Poured almost black with a frothy dark mocha colored head that left droppy lace

S- Pretty sweet aroma, lots of vanilla, some cocoa, and a smell that is coconut like.

T- Big dominant roasted malt flavors, roasted coffee, some unique sweetness that does taste a little coconut like

M- Very smooth, lighter to medium body, very drinkable, goes down like water, finishes semi-dry

O- This beer has great drinkability with great roasted malt flavors although I didn't really get any coconut flavor

3.68/5  rDev -7.8%

A little taken back by beer in a can, but why not!

Pours nicely out of the can and into a pint glass. Pretty much pitch black, head fades and doesn't lace the glass, a bit disappointing.

I jumped deeply into the beer seconds after pouring it to find the "coconut", but find more of a sweet dark malt aroma.

Very porter like, with the coconut hidden in the background.

The carbonation is a bit crisp, with a thinner body then i would think for a porter. This is a great easy drinking brew with a punch, not too expensive.

3.68/5  rDev -7.8%

Special thanks to cullumbeer for bringing me one of these back from Hawaii.

I split a can with my wife.

A: Poured a dark, dark brown... about the color of a burnt sierra crayon, with a whopping 1-2 finger mocha head that retained itself throughout the session.

S: No coconut detected. Actually, I got more roasted malts than anything, with a tinge of dark chocolate.

T: Metallic.... I mean really. I could actually taste the can. It improved substantially as it warmed, but still, for a beer called "Coconut Porter," I didn't feel like it lived up to its title.

M: Moderately thick, with plenty of carbonation for the style and moderate lacing. Bitter finish.

O: I was a bit let down by this one considering the fact that I know people who swear by this brew. However, I'd love to try it on tap sometime.

12oz can

Appears black, opaque, with a fluffy ilght brown head. Shortens quickly but leaves some lacing.

Some burnt smells, roasty malt, coffee, and extremely faint coconut.

Roast and burnt flavors up front, followed by bitter chocolate and earthy hops. Coconut on the back end with a lingering fresh sweetness.

Medium bodied, low carbonation, smooth and creamy, with a quick finish.

Well balanced, pretty good but not amazing.

3.67/5  rDev -8%

All right... more canned goodness, this time from sunny Maui. I hope I get lai'ed.

It pours a porter black with a one finger tan head. Smells like chocolate, coffee and coconut. A lot of coconut actually... more than I thought even though the name of the beer is sort of a giveaway.

Along with the coconut, I get a lot of roasted malt and dark chocolate upon first sip. Pretty much stays true the entire glass. Minimal carbonation and a thin mouthfeel.

You know, this beer is what it is... a coconut inspired porter. No real surprises in store. It's extremely yummy but I don't know if it can shake being a novelty for me. Ah hell, it's good. This mainlander will order some more in the future.

This is my first experience with Maui Brewing Company and would like to search out other offerings.

3.66/5  rDev -8.3%

Roasted caramel coconut nose--nice foamy head. Very dark brown body. Medium to full-bodied with boozy and crisp roasted malts dominating the mouth feel...leaving a dark coffee aftertaste that fades from bitter to bitter-sweet. A big tasting porter for its ABV but refreshing and satisfying nonetheless.

Coconut Hiwa Porter from Maui Brewing Co.