Coconut Hiwa Porter | Maui Brewing Co.

good
Read the review
Coconut Hiwa PorterCoconut Hiwa Porter

Maui Brewing Co.
Hawaii, United States
mauibrewingco.com

Style: American Porter

Formerly CoCoNut Porter

A robust dark ale with hand-toasted coconut & hints of mocha.

Added by TurdFurgison on 03-12-2007

Reviews: 910 | Ratings: 2,268
3.75/5  rDev -6%

On tap at Chuck's 85 St. Dark colored, not much head and somewhat cloudy. A little lace lingers with each sip. Aroma of coffee and espresso with a bit of smoky coconut. Sweet tasting, with bread and a tad bit of sourness. Very light for a porter. Not much carbonation and a fairly short finish.

3.75/5  rDev -6%

Found at a local store, intrigued by the coconut.
Poured from a can into a pint glass. Pours really dark with mocha foam. No lacin,g. On the glass. Smells of coffee and chocolate. Tastes sweeter than most porters with the faint hint of coconut. Different, but very good. First time I have had a coconut porter, would enjoy comparing to another.

3.75/5  rDev -6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pours a deep dark brown with a quickly forming and quickly dissipating hard mocha-colored head. Dies down to nothing--looks flat after a couple minutes without so much as a swirl of bubbles on the surface of the beer. Very spotty, very wet lacing slides down almost too fast to call it lacing.

Smell is of sweet malts and dry, almost minerally-smelling toasted coconut. Not very nice when cold, the smell develops into something decent as it approaches room temp.

Taste is a pretty big letdown. Light roastiness and some dark chocolate and slight breadiness. A good amount of coconut comes out as it warms, but the thing is, I love toasted coconut, and I don't love this. Not bad, just not super flavorful.

This thing started out too carbonated for my liking, but it develops nicely throughout the course of the glass. Medium bodied, this is almost too light and finishes too clean for my liking. Not bad by any means, just looking for more of that malty, chewy, thick consistency.

Highly drinkable. I could see people sessioning this big time.

Overall, I REALLY want to love this, but don't. Still pretty tasty, especially as it warms.

3.75/5  rDev -6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pour dark wood like brown in color with a big finger and a half fluffy tan head. Aroma is a robust porter to style with notes of coco powder, chocolate malt, herbal hops and a slight metallic note on the end. Taste follows the nose with flavors of coco, chocolate malt, some faint hints of coconut and slightly metallic in the finish. Mouthfeel is medium bodied and mildly carbonated.

3.74/5  rDev -6.3%

From a can into a Bell's Tulip glass.

Has a one finger cream color head that formed quickly but disappeared just as soon. One aspect of the appearance of this beer is that there was a lot of carbonation trailing up it and it just literally destroyed the head. With all of the initial carbonation, I would have thought that I had a cola poured instead of a beer. The color is a dark and deep brown that no light gets though and is rather reflective.

S - Light hints of vanilla and coconut seem to come forth from the nose. There is also a hint of roasted cocoa and coffee as well. The nose is rather big and each sniff seems to give it a little bit different experience.

T - The taste is a mixture of sweet vanilla on the front and roasted chocolate on the back side. Mixed in with the vanilla, I get a slight hint of coconut but not really as much. It seems to almost give a unique taste to the vanilla more than standing out by itself. I can't really explain how the coconut influences the vanilla taste of the beer other than to say that it has a definite effect that I notice. It almost makes the vanilla have more of a natural taste to it; could even say that it reminds me a bit of a toasted marshmallow flavor. Additionally, it makes the transition towards the roasted flavors more natural and smooth. The roasted flavors on the back side are light and make this beer stand on the sweeter side for a porter. The aftertaste leaves a lasting cocoa tingle that sits on the tongue.

MF - Have to say this does have a ton of carbonation even after I let it sit for awhile. The body is a little light for a porter. The carbonation seems really out of place in this beer given the flavors and leaves a tingle that carries on a bit too much for my taste. After the carbonation does tame down a bit after leaving the beer for about 30 minutes I could get a hint of the MF becoming creamier yet still a ton of carboation in it.

D - Overall, this is a porter worth a try for the novelty of it but I felt a bit let down. It was way too carbonated for my taste for a porter.r It was a bit unique with the hint of coconut but it was really barely noticeable. If you can find this easily, give it a try but if you can't then don't really go out of your way to try it.

3.74/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

355ml can poured into tulip 5/12/14

A dark cola with enough clarity to see half way to the other side under the large and loose foam that falls quickly leaving just a couple random patches of lace

S chocolate, vanilla, earthy leafy hops, coco powder, and a hint of coconut oil in the background, reminds me of tanning oil but its faint

T just a hint of char, more earthy notes, almost nutty, not far off the smell, tastes good but not all that intense

M somewhat light for a porter but the bubbles fluff it up a little, a little slick on the palate and I think there's more flavor on the finish then while your drinking it

O one of those beers that's good but could use more of everything, if they pumped up the intensity this would be memorable

I've heard about this beer and was stoked to pick it up in my local market but at nearly 16$ a 4 pack I can't see myself buying it again

3.73/5  rDev -6.5%

A- Pours an impenetrable black. An aggressive pour leads to two fingers of head- cocoa colored. This looks more like a stout, especially with the head.

S- Smells very roast;, liquid smoke; sap leaking out of a campfire log; bittersweet chocolate. I'm supposed to be smelling coconut right? I'm not getting any.

T- Taste is also very roasty. Maybe more nutty, I might be able to get some coconut essence wafting up off my tongue and into my nostrils. Some more coffee flavor that wasn't in the smell. Yeah and the coconut is getting stronger with each sip- it's almost a coconut butter/oil kind of taste- still not super strong, but there at least.

M- No complaining about the mouthfeel. Some astringency that matches what I want out of a porter.

O- This is good, but somewhat pedestrian. I was hoping for something that knocks my socks off and this isn't it it. But still good.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

12 oz can into glass

Black, white head, good head retention. Roasty aroma, maybe a touch of the coconut. Same with taste, good balance, not too sweet nor dry. Medium bodied.

3.73/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A: It pours an opaque pitch black with a tan, creamy head that dissipates into a thin blanket of tiny brown bubbles covering the surface.

A: Mostly bitter dark chocolate, with subtle nuances of coffee, coconut, and toasted almonds. A faint hint of freshly toasted bread follows.

T: Semisweet chocolate and unexpected cashew like nuttiness blanket a roasted coconut afterthought. Not at all what was initially presumed by the aroma.

F: Smooth, silky, but follows with a bit more than desirable carbonation. Bitterness is only present from its roasted qualities as no hop presence is detectable.

O: I was expecting a desert like porter, and to be perfectly honest, was a bit underwhelmed.

3.73/5  rDev -6.5%

Appearance: Ruby Brown with a one inch dark tan head.

Smell: Light roast, the aroma is a little tight at first.

Taste: Malted milk chocolate with very faint hints of coconut, I expected it to be a little assertive in its coconut flavors but was happily dissappointed that it wasn't over the top.

Mouthfeel: Reminds me a little of a chocolate or milk stout in texture, fairly creamy and not hoppy at all.

Drinkability: The name is somewhat misleading, but a porter I will drink again. The fact that it comes in a can is a plus too, at least for those looking to take it to an outdoor venue where glass is not allowed or advised.

3.72/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Brown pour, immediately noticeable that this is not a robust, imperial or porter that approaches stout like viscosity or heft. You get a 1/6" off white head. The aroma is a relatively complex mix of coconut, coffee, sugar, wood and toffee.

Taste still hits those coconut strides well. Not elite tier coconut beer by any means, but serviceable. Relatively smooth, probably from a lesser amount of roasted malt compared to the big boys. Chocolate malt need not always be subject to heavy bitter roasting. Price seems high for format, but still better than a bomber.

3.72/5  rDev -6.8%

Can poured into my Stone IRS tulip. Canned 7/21/11.

A- Pours a very dark brown-black with a very foamy jagged khaki colored head. Lots of bubbles floating up to the top. No visible lacing on the glass.

S- Smells of dark chocolate, roasted coconut, bready, yeasty, dark fruits, oats.

T- Identical to the nose. Same notes, a little more toasted coconut on the aroma side of the house but still delicious. Very tasty porter, alot going on.

M- Slick mouthfeel, too much carbonation, a little thin but very drinkable.

O- A delicious porter and glad i get to enjoy it regularly.

3.72/5  rDev -6.8%

I would've been happy with just one can Brian! Enjoyed from an oversized tulip.

Pour is dark brown, very nearly black. There's a tight half-finger brown head that quickly fades. Tiny, soda-like bubbles cling to the glass and then wash down into the body of the beer.

My first impression of the aroma is that this is a very chocolate-forward beer. Milk and semisweet chocolate come through in near-equal proportions. There's a touch of coffee, some caramel, and a little vanilla, too. But alas, no coconut.

Surprisingly, there's not too much chocolate in the taste. There is, however, a lot of vanilla - not a cloying, artificial vanilla but a more natural, vanilla bean flavor. There's a little hazelnut aftertaste as well. A sweet beer that works well in a 12 oz. format - I don't think I could put down too much more of this.

Carbonation is on the high side. For a beer so rich and sweet, a smoother mouthfeel would be nice.

I don't know if I'd ever peg this for a coconut beer, but it is very pleasant. Simple and drinkable.

3.71/5  rDev -7%

Received as an extra from Destral (I think). Thanks man!

I mean seriously, who doesn't want to drink something that says 'with hand toasted coconuts'? It's already got 3/4 of the people in its corner due to the packaging.

A- Nice and dark, like daddy likes 'em.

S- I know my sense of smell is for shit, but I'm getting very little scent from this.

T- Pretty nice. A little too much carbonation, but good flavor. Plus, as an extra, this shit just looks good when you open it up, pretty unique for us down in FL.

M- Good, a little light but not bad.

O- Not too bad at all. It's no Duck Rabbit (or whatever the hell they call it) Baltic Porter or Cigar City Jose Marti Porter but it definitely is worth a try.

3.71/5  rDev -7%

Chilled can into a glass.

A: Pours a black body with brown tones to it, capped by a finger of dark tan head. Retains poorly, receding into a thin cap on top with streaks of lacing down the sides.

S: Dark chocolate, roasted malt, vanilla, and light coffee. I'm surprised that there isn't much coconut in the aroma; it smells to me like any other porter.

T: Coconut and roasted malt up front -- here's where the smell was lacking. Light coffee and light dark chocolate in the mid-taste, pulling into a sweet, but lightly bitter, finish where coconut reappears with vanilla.

M: Medium-full body, moderate carbonation. Doesn't get too sticky or cloying at first, though it started getting too much by the end of the can.

D: I thought this was an interesting take on the style. I could go for another one sometime.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A-Pours a dark brown. Head is decently dark as well. Head bubbles down to a few foamy islands here and there.

S-Traditional Porter notes. Chocolate and coffee…not picking up much coconut sadly. I really wanted this beer to just wreak of coconut.

T-Again, mostly straight Porter. I do pick up some coconut but not nearly as much as I wanted. I also get a slight metallic twang too unfortunately. Its actually pretty good but if I tried this blind I know I wouldn't label this a coconut Porter.

M-Medium bodied. Lightly bitter. Drinkable with a good overall feel and bubbles that tickle.

O/D-Its still a solid beer but I would label this a big disappointment. I have always wanted to try this because I thought I would be getting some huge coconut notes. I leave this beer slightly unhappy. A good Porter, nothing more.

3.7/5  rDev -7.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Review from BeerAdvocate Magazine July 2007.

Can says " ... like hot chicks on the beach." Anyhoo, this ro- bust porter is spiced with all-natural hand-toasted coconut.

Pitch-black in color, with milky coffee-colored head
that doesn't seem to retain well. Big chocolate aroma-- rich, powdery and enticing--with soft coconut milk and meat in the back. Medium-bodied, harsh and prickly on the palate, with a mineral bite of carbonation. Initially quite astringent on the palate, with a big roasted and acidic edge that's fairly intense and sharp. Robust as hell. Things smooth out a bit, allowing some malt complexities to shine through, with notes of chocolate and coffee. There's a good dose of sweetness to balance things out, as dots of vanilla and smooth coconut flavors fold into each other. Nutty undertones. Toasty. Hard to discern any real hop character, but there's some herbal notes here and there. A touch of astringency in the drying finish, with some residual sweetness that makes for a smoother ending.

Pretty harsh at first, but as the beer warms, it really opens up and becomes a very tasty brew. The coconut is well-embedded, but not overwhelming, and there's plenty of balance and complexities to keep things interesting. Pairing? Macaroons all the way!

3.7/5  rDev -7.3%

Picked this up today at Vendome Toluca Lake...poured from a can into a pint glass.

A: Dark brown...a little light gets through but not too much. I got about a 2 finger tan head that left just a thin film. Lacing looks syrupy but doesn't seem to have a lot of staying power.

S: Smell is a bit sweet and I detect a bit of chocolate. There's some roastiness as well, but seems pretty subdued. I don't honestly smell any coconut. There may be a little nuttiness to it as well, but it's kinda hard to tell.

T: Opening is roasty, and doesn't really have the rich chocolate flavor I noted in the smell. After a few seconds, a bit of sweetness comes out. I can tell the sweetness is coconut, but it's certainly not overwhelming. The more sips I have, the more coconut I can taste. It's a bit of a toasted coconut, which I think adds to the roasted character.

MF: Good carbonation as you would expect from the style. The beer itself is fairly thin but the carbonation makes up for this. There is a bit of a metallic feel, although I don't know if that's from the can or from the carbonation. I suspect it is from the can.

D: This is a solid porter. I don't find the coconut to be overdone, and I think the sweetness is a nice balance to the roastyness. In general, porter's are usually a bit too roasty for me so this hits the spot, at least for the style. I could do without the metallic taste. Beer just isn't as good out of a can. Good sessionable beer though. Not really a style I seed out, but would probably recommend it if someone was looking for a porter.

3.7/5  rDev -7.3%

12oz can courtesy of BrewerB, thanks man. Dark black, not much head. It smells roasty, and good, hints of coconut. The flavor is a robust porter, roasty with only the slightest hint of coconut, maybe its the power of suggestion? Mouthfeel is smooth but a little thin and this is easy to drink but I don't think I'd want more than one at a time.

3.7/5  rDev -7.3%

Poured into a bruery tulip. Black with a thin tan head that quickly dissipates into a ring around my glass. Aroma of smokey malts coffee and some vanilla notes. Taste is more subdued than the nose, the smoke is there, very light coconut notes and finishes with coffee. Mouthfeel is smooth but maybe a little over carbonated. Pretty good, I was hoping for more coconut but it's not a bad all around porter

3.7/5  rDev -7.3%

This is the first "craft" beer I've had in a can, so I was quite excited to try it.

The beer is very dark brown in appearance, almost black. Light brown head, about 1/4 inch thick and it dissipated quickly.

The smell was very pleasant, with a slight coconut aroma and a hint nuttiness.

The beer had a roasted barely taste, with faint carmel flavors. Unfortunately I could not taste any coconut.

Mouthfeel was just average. I found the beer had a lot of carbonation, almost a bit too much.

Overall, I thought the beer was not too complex, but had a rather one dimensional flavor. Still, it was quite enjoyable and worth a try.

3.69/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Can (2012)

Texas Liquor
Carlsbad, CA

Dark brown throughout with a moderate brown head that eventually leaves a small ring atop the beer. This leaves the glass near clean on the way down. Appropriate, but not special in appearance.

The aroma is certainly the star of the show here, with nice amounts of coconut and hazelnut coffee leading the way, along with mild roast and toast. There's a bit of a maple sweetness as well, interestingly enough. Wonderful aroma.

The flavor isn't quite as unique or simply as enjoyable as the aroma. The coconut, roast, and sweetness are still there, but there's also a touch of an acidic character that isn't exactly complementary to the rest of the porter.

Medium body with moderate-low carbonation.

Good enough, but not overly special.

3.69/5  rDev -7.5%

It smells mildly like coconut, but I wouldn't toss this at any coconut fanatics. They'd be disappointed. But as a nice rich porter, it had a great mouth feel and good flavors.

3.69/5  rDev -7.5%

12 oz can poured into a Sam Adams perfect pint glass.

A: Poured a very dark brown with hints of red... A good fingers worth of tan head that fades quickly with no lacing to speak of.

S: Here is where this beer shines... wonderful smells... strong roasted malts, chocolate, coffee, cream and a nice underlying coconut.

T: Much like the smell.... roasted malt upfront followed by a strong coffee with cream.... right at the end I'm getting a little bitter chocolate and finishes with a light coconut. Right on the money for a Coconut porter.

M: Mid-Bodied, pretty dry yet creamy.... Very nice.

O: A very good porter.... Coconut is slight but adds that little extra to a very good porter. Very session worthy.

3.69/5  rDev -7.5%

Received this as an extra in a trade. Poured into my Duvel tulip.

A - Pours a nice deep dark brown with a good two finger mocha head that slumped to leave a nice thick blanket with very nice light side lacing.

S - Good roasted malts and coffee. Not much coconut.

T - Like the nose there are good roasted malts and coffee. There is some light coconut. Light chocolate, almost like a mounds bar.

M - Mouthfeel is a bit thin and watery but translates well with the flavour.

O - Overall there are some really nice flavours and appearance but perhaps this was an old can as the aroma and mouthfeel were both rather lacking.

Coconut Hiwa Porter from Maui Brewing Co.