Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Coconut Hiwa Porter | Maui Brewing Co.

Coconut Hiwa PorterCoconut Hiwa Porter

Hawaii, United States
mauibrewingco.com

Style: American Porter

Formerly CoCoNut Porter

A robust dark ale with hand-toasted coconut & hints of mocha.

Added by TurdFurgison on 03-12-2007

3.7

Ratings: 2,320 |  Reviews: 922
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from can into pint glass; dark mahogany color with nice carbonation and brown toffee head. Toasted malts, hint of coconut, coffee and chocolate to the nose. Medium body, easy on the palate. Coconut is subdued by coffee and chocolate but it's a decent brew! Certainly not a Funky Budda Last Snow but I'd have another.

3.52/5  rDev -10.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

I decided to make some homemade ice cream infused with some Youngs Double Chocolate Stout, but my local grocery store didn't carry it. I didn't really feel like making another trip this particular day, so I decided to try the Maui Brewing CoCoNut Porter instead. I got the 4 packer home and immediately pulled one off of the black plastic holder. The thing had a death grip on the beer and I had to really muscle it off. I guess that move shook the can too much because when I pulled the tap I lost a good 2 oz. of the beer from spew.

That brings me to the appearance. The foam was way up, obviously, but then disappeared to almost nothing very quickly. I don't know if that's because it exploded and thus ruined the carbonation, but I was shocked at how poorly it held the head.

Dispite the head the color of the beer is beautiful. It's a deep deep brown and when it holds to the light you almost see a marroonish color coming through. Only slightly foggy, this is a good looking porter, despite the disappointing head.

The smell is really nice. I smell coffee roast, very roasty. I'm also getting chocolates and some a little sweetness (from the Coconut?)

Lots of coffee roastedness in the taste. Good aftertaste that doesn't overpower, I also gets some hops up front, which I like. Hops in Porters and Stouts often get overpowered by the malts and I like that it's there.

That pre-beer shake up and subsequent blow up HAD to have hurt the carbonation because it's evident in the mouthfeel. I'll have to assume that there's supposed to be more carbonation in this. Decent mouthfeel, my first reaction is that it's a little thin. Maybe I'm just saying that because of the lack of carbonation. I'm also having to remember that I'm more accustomed to stouts which are thicker. Still, I can't help but want a little more.

Overall, it's a good beer. Not my fav but I think it will do the job. I'll definitely have to try it again. This time I'll let it sit for a few minutes if I happen to yank it violently from it's vice grip holder.

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.52/5  rDev -10.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

It's a great beer. I like that it smells just like it tastes. I just feel like if finishes week and leaves my mouth salty.

3.53/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to my friend Paul for hooking me up with a can of this. From a 355 ml can, it pours out a deep dark brown hue, not quite opaque there are translucent cola highlights when held to direct light. Massive head on the pour, took 3 attempts to empty the can and fill the glass, presenting a loose bubbled mocha head that slowly settles to a frothy thin cap.

Sweet and toasty malt up front in the aroma, some faint roasty notes, as well as some toasted coconut.

Dark toasty malt up front in the flavour, some sweetness before the toasted coconut appears and tends to remain most prominent towards the finish. Dry, rather cocoa-like finish and aftertaste, with faint coconut also lingering on.

Mouthfeel is medium-bodied on the lighter end of the spectrum, somewhat slick texture although with decent attenuation, and some moderate carbonation.

Things lean towards the sweeter end of things, although that may be expected due to the presence of the coconut, however the malt could have balanced it out some more. I'm not complaining though, I enjoyed this stuff and will seek out some more when the opportunity arises.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Beautiful black pour with a light tan head, my expectation (from the name of the beer) was the aromas would feature coconut in some way.

Nope. No coconut that I can discern at all. The base beer is nice - good char, dark chocolate, but zero coconut. I don't care for coconut in "real life," but I love it in beer, so I'm disappointed it doesn't make an appearance in this.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a two finger khaki head that fades to thin layer, leaving some lace. Black color, no highlights. Light carbonation and medium-heavy bodied. Smell: hints of chocolate and flavor is burnt chocolate and coconut. $5.50 for a 12oz can on Norwegian Cruise Line Pride of America off Hawaii. From my notes 5/30.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a can into a tulip glass 12/28/10. Reviewed on paper 12/28, transcribed into BA 12/29.

A: Dark, dark, dark brown with large two finger head and heavy lacing.

S: Very rich and roasty malt aroma. Missing seems to be the coconut. It would receive a 4 if I was able to place the coconut, but as poured it smells like an above average porter.

T: Toasted/roasted malts but where's the coconut? There was a nice roasty after taste that lingered shortly after sip but not overpowering or distracting.

M: Medium bodied. The bite of the carbonation seemed to overpower the taste a tad, until of course the after taste kicked in.

D: Tastes good, feels good, drinks good. Won't drink a 4pk in one sitting. One yes, maybe two in a sitting.

Comments: Expected it to be a little more sweet. Pleasantly surprised it wasn't as I don't have a sweet tooth. That having been said, I would have liked some coconut. Does it fade? Was mine not fresh?

3.53/5  rDev -10.6%

Poured into a snifter, revealing black body under a few fingers of tanned head. Decent staying power on the head. Smells like your average porter with some darker malt and a slight roastiness but slightly sweeter and with some nuttiness as well. Hint of soapiness on the nose too. Coconut is hard to pick out over these notes.

Tastes acidic up front but instead of malt there is a strong nutty presence along with slight bitterness that makes up the bulk of the flavor. Fruity aftertaste. Mouthfeel is on the lighter side with a large-nucleating but assertive carbonation adding to the acidity and otherwise thin body. Decently drinkable for what it is and very well-carbonated.

Overall an interesting offering. I can see how I would enjoy this can stretched out on the beaches of Maui or on tap in their charming brewpub.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12oz can into a Port Brewing pint glass. Really like the explanation of why the brewery uses cans over bottles. Hopefully we will see more craft in cans in the future...

A - Pours a deep brown with three finger frothy tan head on a fairly aggressive pour. In hindsight I probably should have poured a little more passive. Head retention is decent at best and there is a little slippery lacing to be had...

S - Dont pick up any coconut in the scent. Black patent, coffee, and lots of roast...

T - Starts with chocolate and a little vanilla. Toasted coconut comes through in the finish with lots of roast. I probably wouldn't even have detected the coconut if I hadn't brewed with it before. Very subdued...

M - On the thin side of being medium bodied with a moderate amount of carbonation. A little light for the style...

O - Pretty run-of-the-mill Porter. Bumped up the overall score because I liked the can, but definitely not something that is going to be in my rotation...

Cheers...

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Pitch black, fluffy mocha colored head, spotty lacing.

S: Espresso, chocolate mousse, not much coconut there.

T: Good roast flavor, not too bunt/acrid tasting like many other porters. Towards the end of the glass, I do get a toasted coconut flavor. This beer needs to warm up to room temperature for it to come on its own.

M: Not too heavy on the mouthfeel. Very prickly going down.

O: Good porter, the coconut doesn't really wow me though. Worth trying at least once.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

With thanks to MrKennedy for sourcing this from Slowbeer.

Pours lightish black (but resoundingly black) with tanned head. Head doesn’t last that long due to nature of can.

Smell is lots of roast, nuts, a sort of subtle fruitiness which I assume comes from the coconuts.

Taste is highly roasty with some astringency and some malt-funk.

Mouthfeel is medium, sweetness present but balanced, medium but highly noticeable carb.

Overall a very enjoyable beer with a substantial amount of roast, not hugely influenced by coconut though.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

a - poured a two-fingers thick and creamy tan head into a nonic that left good sheeting throughout. the body was dark black with a little reddish-brown around the edges.
s - vanilla sweetness with a roastiness to it.
t - roasty with some bittersweet chocolate.
m - bubbly and medium feel.
o - decent beer that improves as it warms. i don't think i'm getting much coconut, if at all. if i didn't know this was a coconut porter then i wouldn't have even thought about that.

Bottle picked up in AZ by CE, much thanks
Canned 11/28/2011
Poured into a standard US pint glass

Maui's coconut porter is a great idea that, unfortunately, doesn't present itself well in execution. The toasted coconut had great potential, but is unfortunately subsumed under several other flavors, most notably an overabundant sweetness. I would be willing to give this another shot if I could find a fresher can, but since it's not locally available, I probably won't seek this out again.

Pours a very tall head (>3cm) out of the can, tan in color, and composed of large and medium-sized bubbles on top, smaller ones on the bottom: the result is something like the foam atop a root beer float. Retention is very good, the head lasting several minutes as it sinks down to a ring around the glass with a few small islands of residual foam; lacing is also very good, with large swaths and clumps along the glass' side. Body is an opaque dark brown to black color, but I'm still able to see the carbonation float up from the bottom of the glass.

Aroma is mostly of pleasant milk chocolate and baked chocolate cake with a hint of roasted malt and watery coconut juice behind it all. Not bad, but not very emphatic with its scents.

The front of the palate begins tasting roasted malts, milk chocolate, and a bit of stale sourness found in some porters: so good, so far. Mid-palate picks up continued roasted malt, milk chocolate, and a hint of lightly toasted coconut. Back of the tongue picks up sweetness, a twinge of ethanol, and noticeable toasted coconut in the closing moments of tasting. The sweetness is actually a bit too much for the beer at this point; I'm not sure what the cause is, but instead of the roasted or chocolate malt, or the toasted coconut, taking priority, it seems like the malt's sweetness takes center stage at the back of the palate, and continues through the aftertaste. Aftertaste is of roasted malt, a bit of chocolate, and an amount of sweetness that's bordering on cloying to me. More roasted flavor or coconut would have been a better lingering flavor.

Beer is medium-bodied with noticeable, but "soft" carbonation, causing this to foam up slightly on the palate and have an overall mouthfeel of smoothness. A bit watery around the edges and in the closing moments, a bit of a disappointment there. Closes out dry and satisfying.

3.54/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.54/5  rDev -10.4%

This does throw a great looking pour into my glass. Thick foam and pretty damned dark. Aroma is more coffee and chocolate; I'm not really getting any obvious coconut.

This is a good dry, roasty-earthy-bitter down the middle porter. Whatever toasted coconut there is seems to be getting lost within the larger roasty profile. Coffee, chocolate, etc. I don't see what the big deal is. This is a perfectly good beer, but in all honesty I'd pull just as much or more coconut off beers that weren't brewed with it. I'd like it to be at least somewhat obvious that it's a coconut porter.

Kind of a thin, spiky mouthfeel that probably *would* be good in a beach setting.

Well, this is supposed to be a porter that you can pound on the beach, and in that respect it works. It just isn't the creamy-coconut goodness I was expecting.

canned on 12/22/11

Black opaque with a thin tan head and little lacing.

Rich chocolate aroma with coconut highlights.

The flavor blends chocolate, coconut and roasted grain notes. A bit of sweetness on the sides with a dry finish.

Medium body with a thin mouthfeel and abrupt finish. Tasty but not at all rich or complex.

Served at cellar temperature, but seemed a little fuller as it approached room temperature.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to Scalene for this one via Light Whale BIF 2. Poured from a 12oz. can into a Sam Adams perfect pint. 0111711 can date.

A: Standard pour yields a 1 finger foamy light cream colored head with good retention. Beer is a clear, dark, purple-brown. Lacing is stringy and spotty but sparse with moderate cling but nice legs. Pretty standard.

S: Nose is liquorice, roasted malt, cocoa powder, and some coconut shavings. Nutty. Very subtle but pleasant and appropriate for the style.

T: Opens coffee bitterness. Liquorice, macadamia nuts, coconut shavings, and milky sweetness. Chocolate towards the middle with some roasted malt smokiness. Slightly metallic towards the end. More roasted malts at the finish with some coconut influences. Finish is coconut with a similar aftertaste plus some liquorice. Solid.

M: Light to medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Smooth and silky in the mouth. Goes down with some slight bubbles and prickliness. Finish is accented with a soft, subtle aftertaste that fades quickly. Nice.

O: This is no Opa-Opa Coconut porter, but its still a very solid representation on the coconut porter sub-style. Coconut is very muted in this one which is a little disappointing but the mouthfeel is very nice and its solid in ever respect. Worth trying.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Hmmm...interesting brew to say the least. This beer's motto should be: BE PATIENT...IT GET'S BETTER

Poured a black/dark brouwn in my pint glass...decent head initially, but fades quickly...very little lacing left behind.

Slight hint of coconut; not what I was expecting...mainly burnt,sweet malt...what the heck?

What the? First sip was like sucking on an aspirin...quite tinny. Luckily, the brew did get a bit better as it warmed. Coconut and a little sweet malt did come out a bit more...thank God. Still, the initial blast of tin may have soured this for me.

I guess I'm in the minority on this one, but this certainly did not come off as an excellent brew by any means. Thankfully it's one of those beers that gets better as it warms, so be patient. The scent and taste certainly did improve as it sat in my pint glass.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Poured from the can into a shaker pint. Thanks to coreyrhoads for the trade!! Pours a dark brown, blak with a thin tan head. Smells of roasted malts followed up by a hint of coconut and some wood-like aroma. Flavor is definitely unique. I get a sharp crisp bite, not like most porters and then it sort of fizzles out with a hint of coconut flavor on the tail end. I am loving the whole canned thing, but I think I get a bit of aluminum typo flavor in the taste. I could just be dreaming it, though. Beer fizzles in my mouth. Pretty good drinkablilty, definitely something I will try again.

3.55/5  rDev -10.1%

Not a big fan of porters, but this is awesome! Pours a nice dark brown with a creamy tan, two-finger head. The smell of coconut wafting from the glass is almost enough to subdue me alone. I'm not a fan of herb/fruit flavored beers, but the coconut flavor melds seamlessly with the heavy mouthfeel of the porter. Hop flavor is slightly noticable in the background, but has a pleasant hop bitterness. Or maybe its from the roasted barley. I served this beer with dessert at a recent dinner-party instead of the vintage port I was thinking of serving. Props to Maui Brewing Co. for such a unique beer; too bad I can't find it on the mainland.

On another note, Maui Brewing Co. is pioneering what they call the "Micro-Canning Revolution," denouncing previously held myths about canning premium beer. The revolutionary packaging method would be a total hit in the coastal areas of the US, especially San Diego. There is a growing majority of premium-beer connoisseurs who would like to have a canned option to enjoy beachside or poolside during the summer. I hope more breweries follow this trend in the future. I NEED better beer to drink at the beach!

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

I have been trying to get my hands on this one for a while. I am not entirely certain that it was worth the wait. The beer was a dark malty color when poured into a snifter. There was about a half inch, off-white head which seemed a little unusual for a porter. The fluffy head made the aroma leap into my nose a little easier, sending notes of malt and flakes of coconut into a scent detector. The initial taste was a dark malty thrust with the coconut hints far in the background. Also present was a hint of nuttiness and something flowery that I could not identify. The thicker texture of the mouthfeel allowed the porter to coat the tongue and lending staying power to taste. For a porter, this is a nice drinker. Like most people, I did not buy this as a porter. The unique coconut spin on a porter is what will draw the attention of drinkers. In this respect, I found the beer disappointing because the coconut was not potent enough overwhelm my palate.

Coconut Hiwa Porter from Maui Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 3.95 out of 5 with 2,320 ratings