Coconut Hiwa Porter | Maui Brewing Co.

good
Read the review
Coconut Hiwa PorterCoconut Hiwa Porter

Maui Brewing Co.
Hawaii, United States | website

Style: American Porter

Formerly CoCoNut Porter

A robust dark ale with hand-toasted coconut & hints of mocha.

Added by TurdFurgison on 03-12-2007

Reviews: 883 | Ratings: 2,161
3.48/5  rDev -12.8%

Thanks to ThirstyBird for sharing this one. 12oz. can served in my Gouden Carolus chalice. Poured two shades shy of black. Half inch off-white head recedes into a skim. Nose is big on roasted coffee, followed by toasted coconut. Taste follows nose; roasted character is in the forefront but the coconut clearly comes out immediately after. Also picked up a milky quality. Mouthfeel is thin, slightly watery and lightly effervescent. Decent drinkability and flavor for the abv. I'm not a huge coconut fan, but this is pretty tasty.

4.18/5  rDev +4.8%

Our friend, Bill, brought this back from a recent trip to Hawai'i, therefore I'm indebted to him for saving us the time (and airfare). A 12 oz. can, 'certified made on Maui' (as opposed to other so-called Hawai'ian beers (Kona? mostly brewed by Widmer in Portland, OR). Poured to pint glass; date stamped: 080408.

Name actually reads: "CoCoNut PorTeR". Why the screwed up capitals/lowercases I have no idea...

A: Dark, rich and extremely close to 'black'. Billowing tan head of cream builds to almost 2-fingers and lasts about 2 minutes before falling rapidly to a thick gauze. Lace sticks in blanketing sheets. A pretty pour, very pretty.

S: Aroma is simple: powdered dark cocoa with a notable coconut shaving aroma. Yum.

T: Rich chocolate, tons of roasted malt and a definite presence of toasted coconut. The coconut imparts a sort of vanilla-like flavor, only slightly sweet. A spicy, intensely flavorful porter.

M: After an initially jolting tang (I read somewhere about the notoriously hard water, from springs sourced through mineral-rich lava beds), this began to grow on me. It's not a very 'smooth' porter in the traditional sense, but has a building mouthfeel that coats and leaves a lasting chocolate bittersweet-ness.

D: Absolutely would like to have this again. Maui should be proud of this one and the fortunate few who have access to it should enjoy regularly. Recommended.

Thanks again, Bill.

4.14/5  rDev +3.8%

Served out of a can, which I was glad to see more breweries moving towards cans.

Good smooth porter with a lot of chocolate taste and a lot of residual sweetness, perhaps from the toasted coconut. Not sure when the coconut is added to the brew, but I might guess at the end to give it the sweetness, but this would require filtering to make sure no yeast went to work on the new sugar.

This beer goes for $14+ a 4 pack on the island, but it is quite good.

4.27/5  rDev +7%

This is what canned beer needs, a big tasting porter with low ABV. Full bodied , chocolate notes on the midbody and some coconut on the finish(though less than I thought). The beer is well balanced and has enough smoothness to make the drinkability quite high. A real pleasure to find a good porter in a can.

4.27/5  rDev +7%

This is a very cool extra from googzoid10. Thanks for the opportunity to try this beer!

A- Body is a very dark brown-nearly black hue. Pours with an approximately one finger creamy creme brulee colored head that has pretty good retention but eventually fades to a collar. No lacing is left behind in the glass. When held up to the light one can see glimmering red colors shining through.

S-The initial impression of the nose is of sweet flavored coffee. Upon further examination one can detect coconut, toasted malt, and chocolate in the nose.

T- The toasted coconut and malt characters come out more for the flavor than they do the nose and are the main character upfront. The finish becomes sweeter as the toasted flavors fade some and allow for the other characters to emerge. What lingers is an impression of toasted malt, chocolate, and a sweet coconut flavor.

M-Great porter mouthfeel. Medium carbonation and medium weight body that is wonderfully smooth and silky.

D- This is a great porter and I am happy to have the opportunity to try it. The sweet and toasted flavors compliment each other very well and develop a nice balance. The flavor is also not cloying in any way.

4.64/5  rDev +16.3%

I had this great porter at the Maui Brew Pub while visiting Maui. I really enjoyed the richness and flavor of the coconut. I liked so well I bought a six to bring home, but ended up drinking it on the beach with my son. Had to buy more to bring home! If you are in the islands find this porter!!

3.9/5  rDev -2.3%

Muchas gracias to sirpsycho for this as an extra in a trade. Couldn't wait for the weekend to try this so here it goes.
Poured a very dark brown from a can into a pint glass. Has a nice heads but settles down quite quickly to form a small wispy ring.
Smells very nice lot and lots of chocolate malts and hints of toasted coconut.
Taste awesome lovely chocolately flavors blended nicely with the coconut. A slight metallic taste takes a little away from the brew some.
Very smooth and creamy reminds me more of some stouts that I've had more than a porter. This is probably one of the best porters I've ever had.

2.85/5  rDev -28.6%

A - Dark black with lighter brown highlights - Head retention is minimal and lacing is non-existent.

S - Pretty bad. The coconut does not compliment the smoky porter smell.

T - It tastes decent. Ripe fruits, but also a little taste of something sour. Coconut flavor is prevalent in the background.

M- Smooth and creamy, like a good porter should be.

D - If this were at a bar with the normal selections for Ventura, this one would finish second to Amstel Light for the next round.

Poured into my SA beer drinking glass. Dark brown in the glass with faint strips of reddness shining through. Solid 2 fingers of mocha brown froth. Right away, aromas of sweet roasted coconut and Nestle quik chocolate. Nicely balanced flavors of sweet coconut, roasted malt and bitter hops. Coconut felt in the mouthfeel, but not overly so. Unique beer...pretty good.

4.04/5  rDev +1.3%

A - Very dark brown in color, basically black. Very dark compared to most porters I have had. Deep ruby, almost violet highlights when held up to light. The dissapointing thing here was the head and retention. A thin layer of bubbly foam on top quickly fades to nothing. Very spotty lacing at best.

S - Big aroma of coffee and chocolate. I get more fresh roasted coffee than anything else, but there is definitely some bitter sweet chocolate notes. Great smelling beer.

T - Bittersweet chocolate with hints of fresh roasted coffee. The taste seems to be the inverse of the nose with chocolate being the dominant force. Both flavors are very strong though. The sweetness carries throughout even as a nice middling earthy hoppiness comes through mid-drink. Finishes bitter sweet, much like it started. Still not tasting the coconut here though

M/D - Medium to full bodied, a little more crisp than most porters. Would like to see it a little creamier. Still, a very good porter from the islands.

Can: Poured a pitch-black color porter with a rather large medium brown foamy head with good retention and some lacing. Aroma of roasted coconut is clearly noticeable with some roasted malt notes. Taste is a nice mix between some fresh roasted coconut and some dry roasted malt. Bitterness is well controlled and coconut is well balance and more then a novelty. Body is a bit thin for the style but carbonation is pretty good. I could see this going well with some coconut chocolate cake.

4.57/5  rDev +14.5%

12oz. can into shaker pint on 2/3/09. Thanks to d0ggnate for including this as an extra in the current GATM BIF.

A - Poured a deep, dark brown-colored body with burgundy highlights around the edges and almost two fingers of rich tan foam that settled into a quarter inch of retention and left behind some sticky lacing.

S - Initial aroma is surprisingly chock-full of fudgy, milk chocolaty goodness, while the toasted coconut character resides in the background. Some roasted malt is also present, but this is all about the chocolate.

T - Much like the aroma, the flavor opens with smooth, rich milk chocolate and just a hint of toasted coconut meat. Some dark roasted malt makes an appearance, but the malt consists of primarily sweet caramel and chocolate notes.

M - Thick and robust body with a touch of carbonation and an overall slick, oily mouthfeel. Finishes with just a hint of earthy bitterness on the palate.

D - This one exceeded my expectations. I was expecting more coconut, but instead I was treated to a robust porter with plenty of chocolate sweetness and lots of body. The drinkability is simply fantastic with this one, perhaps the easiest drinking porter I've ever had.

4.07/5  rDev +2%

This is a pretty damn dark porter with just a tinge of ruby along the edge. Huge tan head comes with some pretty good retention, but no lacing is left behind.

The smell is mostly chocolate with a touch of coconut.

This is one you definitely have to let warm to really enjoy, the coconut flavor is rather nice, but pretty weak if the beer is too cold. Up fron there really isn't any coconut, the flavors are mostly chocolate with a touch of coffee. In the finish comes to coconut, which is quite nice and natural tasting. A roasted flavor goes a long with the coconut. A very tasty beer, the warmer the better to bring the coconut out.

Mouthfeel is full bodied with a pretty low amount of carbonation. Probably a little full for a porter.

This beer is pretty drinkable, especially at warm temeperature. I'm a fan of coconut, so I like this one.

4.35/5  rDev +9%

Enjoyed during the Superbowl (02-01-09).

Poured from the can into a pint glass for tasting.

A: Dark brown pour. nice big head of beige.

S: Coconut & a few other sweet fruits. But none of them is overpowering. Nice move making this a porter...

T: Body is a bit thin at first, then you are greeted with a subtle coconut with a sweet, mellow finish.

M: Thin as advertised. Goes down well.

D: Expensive for a four-pack of 12 oz. cans ($10-11), but very drinkable. I believe the Gold at the '06 WBC was well-deserved. Keep the good stuff coming, Maui!

4.03/5  rDev +1%

Served chilled in my british pint.

A: A vigorous pour reveals a dark brown brew, and a good sized light tan head. Decent lacing.

S: I pick up some sweet chocolate and raoasted malts in the nose. I can detect a hint of coconut as well.

T: Very chocolatey. A nice blend of bitter and sweet. Slight hint of dark roast coffee. I also detect a touch of toasted coconut in the back. Very nice.

M: Nice creaminess, and carbonation level is appropriate.

D: Drinkability is very good. I could easily knock a couple of these back no problem. I'll definately be serching this out via trade in the future.

3.25/5  rDev -18.5%

This brew poured dark black with a fluffy, light cocoa-colored head that lingers, lacing up the glass. The smell of sweet coconut and licorice is prevalent. The taste is thin and tinny, but has a bit of a hoppy aftertaste that is not unpleasant, but it soon disipates into a bitter finish on the tongue. The mouthfeel leaves little to encourage you to hold it in your mouth. Overall, the beer is drinkable, but not great. The coconut and hops kind of battle each other.

3.7/5  rDev -7.3%

Picked this up today at Vendome Toluca Lake...poured from a can into a pint glass.

A: Dark brown...a little light gets through but not too much. I got about a 2 finger tan head that left just a thin film. Lacing looks syrupy but doesn't seem to have a lot of staying power.

S: Smell is a bit sweet and I detect a bit of chocolate. There's some roastiness as well, but seems pretty subdued. I don't honestly smell any coconut. There may be a little nuttiness to it as well, but it's kinda hard to tell.

T: Opening is roasty, and doesn't really have the rich chocolate flavor I noted in the smell. After a few seconds, a bit of sweetness comes out. I can tell the sweetness is coconut, but it's certainly not overwhelming. The more sips I have, the more coconut I can taste. It's a bit of a toasted coconut, which I think adds to the roasted character.

MF: Good carbonation as you would expect from the style. The beer itself is fairly thin but the carbonation makes up for this. There is a bit of a metallic feel, although I don't know if that's from the can or from the carbonation. I suspect it is from the can.

D: This is a solid porter. I don't find the coconut to be overdone, and I think the sweetness is a nice balance to the roastyness. In general, porter's are usually a bit too roasty for me so this hits the spot, at least for the style. I could do without the metallic taste. Beer just isn't as good out of a can. Good sessionable beer though. Not really a style I seed out, but would probably recommend it if someone was looking for a porter.

4.15/5  rDev +4%

Pours a very dark brown with ruby red highlights. A brown head forms and dissipates into a ring leaving a small amount of lacing.

Smells heavily of milk chocolate and toffee with lighter notes of coffee and toasted coconut. Citrus hop aroma appears as it warms.

Lots of sweet milk chocolate, caramel, and coffee in the taste. Coconut and toffee linger in the background. Reminds me of Samoa girl scout cookie. Yum.

Good stuff. The coconut could be a little more prominent, but it still is very tasty and balances nicely.

4.03/5  rDev +1%

Thanks to BVC for this one.

Pours a dark cola color with a finger of mocha colored head that fades kinda quickly but leaves a nice lacing

Smells of roasted malts, mocha, chocolate and caramel. Hints of coconut.

Taste is creamy chocolate, caramel with a very slight hint of coconut and a light bitterness at the end.

This is a pretty thick beer for the 5.7% abv. Well blended and tasty. Nice and smooth

3.89/5  rDev -2.5%

This may be my first can review! On to the beer...pours dark as can be but when held to the light and around the edges, you can see a deep, clear ruby color. I'm giving it a lower score because I had virtually no head or retention. This was my 3rd and final can, but each one the head, which was a nice mocha color, decipated so quickly and left nothing behind at all. Smell was nice and complex. Some dark chocolate, coffee, caramel, cream, and a bit of coconut...almost like a mounds bar in a glass. Taste was about the same. If I had a better palate I probably could point out 12 unique flavors. The coconut wasnt really present so much. It was virtually undetectable when the beer was a colder, but it came out (subtley) as it warmed. A creamy, dark chocolate, dark caramel, and the slightest touch of bitterness all blend together wonderfully. Mouthfeel was much heavier than expected. While I didnt mind it there is a very oily sensation left behind that seemed to be too much for me. Overall a very good Porter and easily drinkable beer. While the coconut wasnt there as much as I thought, the slight presence was nice and a little different.

3.68/5  rDev -7.8%

Brown color with an off-white head that quickly dissipates. Aroma of smoke, coconut, chocolate, and maple syrup. Taste has coconut, chocolate, coffee, and maybe some molasses. Higher than medium carbonation with light body. An interesting beer to try, but I'd like a little more body perhaps. Thanks to marchcow for the sample.

4.38/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Big thanks goes out to Matt for sharing this one with me. Poured it into my snifter...

A: Pours a very dark brown, yet not black. Pours with a solid medium cocoa colored head that dissipates to a thin ring and laces slightly.

S: Smell is very chocolaty with chocolate and roasted malts. The roast comes out slightly in the nose, but no coconut scent yet.

T: Taste is nice and creamy with an abundance of chocolate malts. Very nice. Some slight roast comes through with a hint of coconut. The coconut is nice and sweet on the finish. Exceptional.

Overall, whether you can pick out the coconut or not, this is a good porter all around.

4.2/5  rDev +5.3%

I had a $50 Bevmo gift card burning a hole in my pocket, so I decided to take a flyer on this one while I was loading up my shopping cart. I was a bit skeptical because it screamed "gimmick" to me, what with the Maui/Coconut/can tags all in one place.

So tonight I cracked open a can.

A - Hey, nice tan head, about 3/4 of an inch, with nearly-opaque deep brown/black below.

S - Not too much at first -- the beer was very cold. As it opened up I can definitely get roasted coconut there in the roast, but I'm not smelling Coppertone.

T - Roasted chocolate, coffee notes, with a hint of coconut at the finish.

M - A little more bubbly than I'd like.

D - Highly drinkable. The coconut is not up front and cloying; it is there in the finish -- not sweet coconut, but roasted coconut without confectioner's powdered sugar. You could make this a session beer, no problem.

I was very pleasantly surprised with this beer. I wouldn't go out of my way to purchase it often, but it's quality.

4.27/5  rDev +7%

Big thanks to fartingdog for throwing us this one!

Pours a lightly hazed dark brownish orange, bit of red as well in the edges, thick light tan head forms, drops to a thin ring around the glass, drops a bit of lacing, looks pretty good. Smell is great, chocolate, roast coffee, toast, coconut, toffee, bread, unrefined brown sugar, bit of licorice, vanilla, very nice. Taste is great as well, very heavy roast and chocolate, caramel sweetness, thick coconut and toast, vanilla, fig, toast is great in the finish, very smooth. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with medium to low carbonation, nice roasty bitterness, the toasted coconut is easy to identify but doesn't take the beer over, but the carbonation is a bit sharp on the palate. This stuff is real nice. Thanks Dave!

4.59/5  rDev +15%

Thanks again Santa (Deuane)
The can poured into my new Smuttynose snifter produced a good two fingers worth of tan thread that turned to a thin lace. The body was the typical black porter color.

Awesome aromas of chocolate and coconut it smells like a mounds candy bar, this is great stuff. The flavor is nice and balanced not too much bitterness from the roasted malts and not too much sweetness from the toasted coconut. The only thing I wish is that it was a little thicker in the mouthfeel department.

Another easy drinking Porter enjoyed every drop and was left wanting more. If I saw this in the store I would grad a 4 pack of this for sure

Coconut Hiwa Porter from Maui Brewing Co.