Coconut Hiwa Porter | Maui Brewing Co.

good
Read the review
Coconut Hiwa PorterCoconut Hiwa Porter

Maui Brewing Co.
Hawaii, United States
mauibrewingco.com

Style: American Porter

Formerly CoCoNut Porter

A robust dark ale with hand-toasted coconut & hints of mocha.

Added by TurdFurgison on 03-12-2007

Reviews: 896 | Ratings: 2,219
4.07/5  rDev +2%

12oz can into sniffer.

A: Pours a deep dark brown with a dense dark brown head that quickly faded into a very thin scum.
S: Light sweet malt, caramel, and roasted nutty grains.
T: Toasted malt, dry grains, maple syrup, toffee, caramel, vanilla, roasted oats, milk chocolate, and maybe the vague taste of coconut oil in the finish and aftertaste. Just a hint of alcohol in the finish as well.
M: A very good balance between the dry, roasted dark flavors and fruity sweetness. Carbonation is present and silky, and the body is slick yet chewy enough to have substance.
D: I was pleasantly surprised by this porter. The coconut is pretty hard to pick out, and I wouldn't know it was in it unless the can told me, but it is a delicious porter none the less. Body is smooth and the flavors are light yet complex. If not for the price I would buy this more often.

4.19/5  rDev +5%

Poured from a 12oz can into my Portsmouth snifter. Poured close to black in color with a thin creamy tan head. The head came pretty close to fading away completely but left some faint traces around the edges.

The aroma shows a lot of coffee, chocolate, caramel and roasted malt flavors to it. It has a slightly sweet and smooth characteristic to it. I'd like to believe it's the coconut but I can't put my finger on it. Very nice balanced and complex aroma overall.

The taste has a very smooth character to it. It has some very nice chocolate and caramel flavors to it. The roasted and coffee flavors show a little more up front and the chocolaty, slightly sweet flavors come through more in the finish. Throughout the taste there is a smooth, almost milky flavor with a bit of vanilla. I have to assume it's the coconut since I can't think of anything else I've had in a porter like it. It definitely adds a very nice character to the beer though.

Mouthfeel is slightly above medium bodied and carbonation is below average. Drinkability is very good, I really liked the beer. The smoothness the coconut gave it is very nice and definitely made it more drinkable. Also it was very nicely balanced which I liked.

4.33/5  rDev +8.5%

Appearance - Nice and dark with reddish hues, pour it aggressively and it has an awesome head. Looks incredible coming out of the can.

Smell - Smells like fresh coconut.

Taste - Creamy coconut with roasted flavors. (The first one I had was really cold, and still delicious, but I set one out and let it warm up some, this really opened up the flavor.)

Mouthfeel - Medium body with some creaminess to it, nice carbonation.

Drink - Perfect drink, very much a session beer I think. Too bad it only comes in four packs around $10 here.

Loved this beer, I had tried the collaboration coconut porter and wasn't all that impressed so I had my doubts about this porter when I bought it. But I was pleasantly surprised. Easily one of my favorite porters now.

Edit: last few times I have had this the flavor hasn't been as bold or delicious so I lowered it a bit.

4.2/5  rDev +5.3%

Thanks to both BrewTull and younger35 for including this as a throw-in.

A: Dark brown with a small tan head.

S: I like it. The smell is not unlike a typical porter, smokey roasted chocolately malts. The coconut is there but not overpowering, just a nice subtle presence.

T: mmm - I like this shit! Much better than I anticipated. Very smooth. The coconut shines through perfectly. I think this would be a good porter without the coconut. But the coconut kicks up the complexity to the next level. I like it a lot.

M: Medium body, with nice carbonation.

D: I wish I had a six-pack of this stuff. Hell, I'd settle for a two-pack!

3.93/5  rDev -1.5%

Thanks chickencoop

Right off the bat Ill admit I was looking for more coconut. I love coconut, so I was hoping for a beer that showcased it. When cold, the coconut only appeared to me as a faint nuttiness in he back end. As the beer warmed up, the coconut flavor became more robust but still took a back seat to the base beer.

Coconut porter still stands as a good brew. Cocoa, coffee, roasted malt. Semi-sweet up front, nutty bitterness in back. Pretty standard stuff. The mouthfeel seemed thicker than many porters that I have had, which in this case was not a bad thing. I really think this is a better beer when it warms up a bit - chocolate, coconut, and well pretty much every flavor became less muted.

Great porter, just wish it showcased coconut more. Tasty and easy to drink. Ill bust one open and drink it right out the can, yah I said it.

4.2/5  rDev +5.3%

An insanely good Porter that showcases what's best about coconut flavor- that creamy, vanilla, nutty character. It doesn't hurt that the base beer is very well-done either.

Coconut Porter begins with dark brown, opaque color that carries a froathy tan head up front but reduces to a sheet across the surface late. No real lacing or legging- the coconut oils might be working against the malt a bit.

Chocolate, coffee, caramel, alcohol, and vanilla all hit moderate strides in the aroma. Balanced not to allow any one element to rise above the rest. Very dessert-like.

Flavors of bitter-sweet chocolate and Columbian coffee set the tone and allows the base beer to command attention. Complimentary notes of vanilla and malted milk slowly fade into the true coconut taste as the coffee and chocolate disipate. All the while, caramel sweetness rides just inside the background flavors. Hopped only to keep the beer from a decidedly sweet tone and to accompany the slight roast bitterness.

Smooth, creamy, and robust. Froathy textures up front settle into a velvety rich mouthfeel, especially after the carbonation disipates, allowing the full weight of the beer to be felt on the tongue and mouth surfaces.

The beer is absolutely error-free. The compliment of coconut is an effortless marriage into the beer. If only the beer could have held onto a bit more carbonation for a bit longer.

Thanks Cheezdawg!

4.3/5  rDev +7.8%

a: dark black with brown highlights; light ring of tan head; light movement

s: chocolate is dominant; coconut; burnt toffee; vanilla; syrupy sweet abv;

t: sweeter chocolate syrup; burnt coconut on the finish; further back on tongue darker roasted flavors develop in the sip along with the burnt toffee; light tartness; very smooth and drinkable

m: medium light mouthfeel; maybe a little aggressive; good balance of dry and cloying

d: a great beer that is absolutely worth a try

3.95/5  rDev -1%

Poured from a 12 oz. can into a pint glass.

a - Pours a dark brown color with two inches of tan head. Light carbonation evident.

s - Smells of coffee, vanilla, roasted malts, and hints of coconut and chocolate. Very interesting.

t - Tastes of coffee, roasted malts, and coconut. Hints of chocolate in the aftertaste.

m - Medium body and high carbonation.

d - Overall an interesting porter. I liked it and thought it was a pretty standard porter with hints of coconut in the smell and taste, which was very appealing to me. If you like porters and coconuts check this out.

3.86/5  rDev -3.3%

Served by handpump into a pint pot at a Wetherspoons outlet in Manchester, UK during this 2010 spring beer festival.

A. A brown beer with a red hue. The head is a sandy brown colour and it remained fully throughout the pint until the final drop.

N. Roasted malts with aromas of coffee and chocolate but sadly no coconut.

T. Sweet malt, milk chocolate comes to the fore immediately followed by bitter chocolate. A dry, slightly bitter finish.

M. A nice, smooth drinking ale, the body is just about right for this style.

Although it is called Coconut Porter, there was nothing coconutty whatsoever about this beer (apart from a very quick dash of coconut milk towards the end) which is a real shame because if it had some of the coconut notes on the nose and more in the mouth this would really be an eyecatcher for me. Having said that it didn't alter my score as I still enjoyed the interplay between milk and bitter chocolate on the palate. A nice interpretation on the porter style.

3.88/5  rDev -2.8%

Reviewing from last months notes. Poured into a pint glass

A: Dark brown with 1 finger sandy colored head. Didn't get much lacing around the glass

S: Burnt sugar sweetness, chocolate and roasted malt. No coconut detected

T: Very similar to the smell. A nice roasted malt flavor, with chocolate and minimal hops. There is the slightest bit of coconut mixed in

M: Light to medium bodied, decent amount of carbonation. Fits the style very well

D: Easy to drink and I'm glad I could try it, but ultimately nothing special. It it was a local I'd purchase it again, but I don't plan on trading for it

4.2/5  rDev +5.3%

Bought at Whole Foods (Arroyo Parkway) Pasadena, Ca.

Poured a black color into tulip glass. Little to no head with slight bubbles. The smell of roasted coconuts is the first to hit the nose. Taste of coconuts, chocolate and roast fills the tastebuds. Nice mouthfeel with a good backend. Good drinkability with the different flavors going on. This is a good summer beer on a hot day. I was expecting a full on coconut taste but this combination makes it very good and tasty.

Brewed for the Wetherspoons Real Ale festival here in the UK

Served my handpump into 1/2 pint imperial pint glass.

A- Jet black blody with creamy tan head consistent at 1 finger with excellent lacing.

S- Espresso coffee notes, milk chocolate and a faint linger of coconut. Reminds me of a mocha frappucino from starbucks!

T- Sweeter chocolate and coconut notes more noticeable on the tongue, a faint bitter bite in the finish.

M- Low carbonation, full body.

D- Certainly a porter with a twist! Reminded me more of a sweet stout. Lots of nice flavours in there, and not too sweet with a bitter balance. Very tasty!

4.15/5  rDev +4%

Another great canned beer. Looks perfect in the glass--Black with a creamy tan head. Smells of rich chocolate, with a bit of coconut mixed in. On the palate, I get a lot more chocolate, and roasted malt. Interestingly, the coconut is not really noticeable at this point. Creamy, nicely carbonated and easy to drink. A very nice porter.

3.9/5  rDev -2.3%

Poured from a 12oz can into a pint glass. Jet-black as it enters the glass, foams up to a pretty good-sized head that leaves behind some lacing. There's a fair amount of chocolate in the nose, sweetness as well, I don't know if that's the coconut I'm getting. Taste is consistent with the smell; coconut is definitely detectable towards the finish. The body isn't too full but the maltiness leaves a semi-dry finish. Very smooth and very drinkable, a good take on the traditional American Porter.

4.02/5  rDev +0.8%

Poured into snifter...

A: Pours jet black with a two finger tan head that falls pretty quickly to a thin ring around the edge, pretty creamy.

S: Big roasted chocolate malt, some toffee, a little sweetness detected. Smells heavier than I know this beer is...and coconut isn't really prevalent.

T: Taste falls very short of the smell, some roasted malt, milk chocolate, toffee, and the coconut comes across as a bit of an afterthought...

M: Medium light body, fairly thin and lots of carbonation...pretty accurate for the style.

D: Very smooth and drinkable and the abv is dead on for a porter.

3.35/5  rDev -16%

Thanks to MaxStout for an awesome trade.

A- deep dark brown with little to no visability when held to the light.

S- roasted malts, hints of chocolate, and other roasted smells (obviously coconut), though if this were a blind tasting I would never have guessed coconut.

T- A nice typical porter style background with a roasted coconut surprise. Its an interesting combination to say the least. The coconut taste itself is the star of the show but, its not coconut like I've tasted before. This is a complex and interesting take on a porter.

M- a bit thin, and little carbonation. Would have given a higher score if it was a bit more full bodied.

D- I love a porter, and can drink several in a row. The coconut makes this a bit less drinkable than an average porter. I wouldnt drink more than 2 with out something else in between.

Over all, this is a fun beer to try. If you enjoy porters and have accesses to this, I reccomend trying it.

3.89/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12 oz. can into a tulip.

A: Deepest black in the center allows no light to penetrate. Light brown, transparent edges. Less than one finger of pale tan head dissipates quickly. No lacing remains on the glass.

S: Sweet chocolate smell is very appealing.

T: Slight ripe fruit and chocolate dominate the front-end flavors. This beer does not taste as sweet as it smells. Slight bitter astringency (burned malt) appears late. Earthy coconut volatiles fill the sinuses after sipping for a while.

M: Thin texture seems light-handed for the style. Carbonation is appropriately light.

D: This is an easy beer to drink, without offering any challenge. My concluding thought is that this beer is overpriced, at about $10 per four-pack.

4.22/5  rDev +5.8%

Pours a deep black/brown with not much light coming through on the edges. Nice initial head that settles to a fine ring that lasts throughout. Smell is great, semi-sweet chocolate, mild coffee, cream and a touch of black pepper. Taste is equally as impressive. A little slow to come alive in the mouth but once things get started it snowballs from there. Nice bitter/sweet chocolate notes, again a mild amount of coffee grounds, perhaps some vanilla. Good velvety mouthfeel. Dangerously sessionable.

4.22/5  rDev +5.8%

Poured into 12oz straight glass. Poured a solid black with a tall, thick, deep tan head that had great retention, but zero lacing. The beer was very carbonated, bubbles clung to the sides like this was a glass of coke.

As the can snapped open I was hit with a great roasted and sweet scent. Upon further sniffing the roasted notes and sweetness combined nicely, without either dominating. The taste was very similar, great roast, a slight sweetness. Personally, I couldn't really pick out a coconut scent or flavor, but that sweetness had to come from somewhere.

The body was very good, but perhaps just a touch thin for the style. Drinkabilty was excellent. I can see this easily becoming my "heavier" beer for spring and summer.

Overall, a top-notch brew that's worth some effort to obtain. A job well-done.

3.65/5  rDev -8.5%

A: Creamy black pour with mild 1 inch head that recedes within a few minutes, leaving a few specks of lacing.

S: Smells like Hawaiian Tropics sun sunscreen... like hot chicks on the beech (proof that I can read and regurgitate the slogan on the can). Also some tasty coffee, mocha, and hazelnut in there.

T: The chocolate and coconut are the main things here.

M: subtle booziness rounds off the sticky sweetness.

D: a tasty beer, I can feel the sugar rushing through my head tho... so I don't think I would drink too many of these... I might just be a bit hungover from Winterstorm at Stone last night???

4.6/5  rDev +15.3%

Pours an espresso head atop a dark brown body, almost impenetrable. A decent amount of lacing down the side as the head dissipates.

Aromas include coffee, chocolate, coconut (duh!), some bananas, and perhaps even macadamia nuts. Smells yummy.

Flavors are delish, and reveal the roasty-ness of the malts combined with the right amount of coconut, cocoa, the aforementioned macadamia nuts, and a slight bitterness on the back end. This has all the qualities of a good roasty porter but with nom nom coconut added to the mix.

A pleasant, tingling mouthfeel, with a nice fullness upon swishing. Sticks to the gums quite well.

Overall, while at first this may seem like a novelty item (coconut? really?), this is delicious. It's well balanced and highly flavorful for a beer of only 5.7% ABV. In the words of alexd3891, this is dessert in a glass. Great job Maui Brewing Company.

(Since my initial review, this has become one of my top three favorite porters)

3.88/5  rDev -2.8%

Can poured into a pint glass. I remember the first time I had this it was at stones 11th anniversary where I stumbled up to Maui's booth which was in a plume of dust that particular year, and was looking for something dark. This beer hit the spot and ive been sold ever since.

A- Poured a nice dark color with a 2 finger head. The head subdued a few seconds later leaving some nice lacing.

S- I get a subtle dry porter nose, with no real coconut showing itself, as it warmed up the sweetness comes through.

T- Taste like a sweeter porter, the traditional dryness is there but you can tell its hiding something. A few seconds after swallowing you are rushed with a balanced sweetness of coconut (while not overly powerful it makes its mark) and chocolate but its drawn back by the ever present roasted malt.

M- With these can beers I always tend to give them a few more minutes to sit in the glass before I dive in. If I jump in to early I find that the mouth feel takes away from the flavors of the beer plus it gives it a chance to warm up just a tad.

Overall, I support the can beer movement and this is a great example of what is possible, if you have a chance to try it I say grab it. Aloha!

3.8/5  rDev -4.8%

My parents picked this up for me when they visited me at work.

Appearance- black color, nice head

Smell- coffee, chocolate

Taste- balanced, chocolate, coffee

Mouthfeel- medium to full bodied, smooth

Drinkability- Really good, this was a good porter.

4.13/5  rDev +3.5%

Can purchased in CA recently, poured into a tulip.

A - Nice 3 finger head that's just a little bit tan sitting on a fairly black body.

S - Very nice - chocolate, toasty malt, and some sweetness. Already exceeding expectations...

T & M - This was surprising. It's a very well built porter that has quite a bit of balance. Slightly sweet, more accurately rich... A modest amount of chocolate and roasted porter taste, with just a hint of coconut at the end. I paired it with steak, and that brought out the sweet coconut even more. I was happy to have it more present.

D - Very nice. Rich without being overly heavy. I think I'd buy this often if it was around here in MN. I don't even particularly like coconut. Weird.

Poured a super deep brown with good carbonation and a tannish head. Nose is chocolate, coffee and roasted notes. Taste is chocolate, coffee, roasted malt...hey..where is the damn coconut? Another sip, hello, coconut. Mouthfeel is roasted malt, cocoa and coffee again, oh there is the faint coconut on the very end. Solid beer and very drinkable.

Coconut Hiwa Porter from Maui Brewing Co.