Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings!

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Coconut Hiwa Porter | Maui Brewing Co.

YOUR RATING = None |
good
Read the review
Coconut Hiwa PorterCoconut Hiwa Porter

Maui Brewing Co.
Hawaii, United States | website

Style: American Porter

Formerly CoCoNut Porter

A robust dark ale with hand-toasted coconut & hints of mocha.

Added by TurdFurgison on 03-12-2007

Reviews: 879 | Ratings: 2,146
4.22/5  rDev +5.8%

Pours a deep black/brown with not much light coming through on the edges. Nice initial head that settles to a fine ring that lasts throughout. Smell is great, semi-sweet chocolate, mild coffee, cream and a touch of black pepper. Taste is equally as impressive. A little slow to come alive in the mouth but once things get started it snowballs from there. Nice bitter/sweet chocolate notes, again a mild amount of coffee grounds, perhaps some vanilla. Good velvety mouthfeel. Dangerously sessionable.

4.22/5  rDev +5.8%

Poured into 12oz straight glass. Poured a solid black with a tall, thick, deep tan head that had great retention, but zero lacing. The beer was very carbonated, bubbles clung to the sides like this was a glass of coke.

As the can snapped open I was hit with a great roasted and sweet scent. Upon further sniffing the roasted notes and sweetness combined nicely, without either dominating. The taste was very similar, great roast, a slight sweetness. Personally, I couldn't really pick out a coconut scent or flavor, but that sweetness had to come from somewhere.

The body was very good, but perhaps just a touch thin for the style. Drinkabilty was excellent. I can see this easily becoming my "heavier" beer for spring and summer.

Overall, a top-notch brew that's worth some effort to obtain. A job well-done.

3.65/5  rDev -8.5%

A: Creamy black pour with mild 1 inch head that recedes within a few minutes, leaving a few specks of lacing.

S: Smells like Hawaiian Tropics sun sunscreen... like hot chicks on the beech (proof that I can read and regurgitate the slogan on the can). Also some tasty coffee, mocha, and hazelnut in there.

T: The chocolate and coconut are the main things here.

M: subtle booziness rounds off the sticky sweetness.

D: a tasty beer, I can feel the sugar rushing through my head tho... so I don't think I would drink too many of these... I might just be a bit hungover from Winterstorm at Stone last night???

4.6/5  rDev +15.3%

Pours an espresso head atop a dark brown body, almost impenetrable. A decent amount of lacing down the side as the head dissipates.

Aromas include coffee, chocolate, coconut (duh!), some bananas, and perhaps even macadamia nuts. Smells yummy.

Flavors are delish, and reveal the roasty-ness of the malts combined with the right amount of coconut, cocoa, the aforementioned macadamia nuts, and a slight bitterness on the back end. This has all the qualities of a good roasty porter but with nom nom coconut added to the mix.

A pleasant, tingling mouthfeel, with a nice fullness upon swishing. Sticks to the gums quite well.

Overall, while at first this may seem like a novelty item (coconut? really?), this is delicious. It's well balanced and highly flavorful for a beer of only 5.7% ABV. In the words of alexd3891, this is dessert in a glass. Great job Maui Brewing Company.

(Since my initial review, this has become one of my top three favorite porters)

3.88/5  rDev -2.8%

Can poured into a pint glass. I remember the first time I had this it was at stones 11th anniversary where I stumbled up to Maui's booth which was in a plume of dust that particular year, and was looking for something dark. This beer hit the spot and ive been sold ever since.

A- Poured a nice dark color with a 2 finger head. The head subdued a few seconds later leaving some nice lacing.

S- I get a subtle dry porter nose, with no real coconut showing itself, as it warmed up the sweetness comes through.

T- Taste like a sweeter porter, the traditional dryness is there but you can tell its hiding something. A few seconds after swallowing you are rushed with a balanced sweetness of coconut (while not overly powerful it makes its mark) and chocolate but its drawn back by the ever present roasted malt.

M- With these can beers I always tend to give them a few more minutes to sit in the glass before I dive in. If I jump in to early I find that the mouth feel takes away from the flavors of the beer plus it gives it a chance to warm up just a tad.

Overall, I support the can beer movement and this is a great example of what is possible, if you have a chance to try it I say grab it. Aloha!

3.8/5  rDev -4.8%

My parents picked this up for me when they visited me at work.

Appearance- black color, nice head

Smell- coffee, chocolate

Taste- balanced, chocolate, coffee

Mouthfeel- medium to full bodied, smooth

Drinkability- Really good, this was a good porter.

4.13/5  rDev +3.5%

Can purchased in CA recently, poured into a tulip.

A - Nice 3 finger head that's just a little bit tan sitting on a fairly black body.

S - Very nice - chocolate, toasty malt, and some sweetness. Already exceeding expectations...

T & M - This was surprising. It's a very well built porter that has quite a bit of balance. Slightly sweet, more accurately rich... A modest amount of chocolate and roasted porter taste, with just a hint of coconut at the end. I paired it with steak, and that brought out the sweet coconut even more. I was happy to have it more present.

D - Very nice. Rich without being overly heavy. I think I'd buy this often if it was around here in MN. I don't even particularly like coconut. Weird.

Poured a super deep brown with good carbonation and a tannish head. Nose is chocolate, coffee and roasted notes. Taste is chocolate, coffee, roasted malt...hey..where is the damn coconut? Another sip, hello, coconut. Mouthfeel is roasted malt, cocoa and coffee again, oh there is the faint coconut on the very end. Solid beer and very drinkable.

3.95/5  rDev -1%

Poured from Can into Pint glass.

Pours a black-brown, ruby highlight edges and a couple fingers of frothy cocoa colored head that slowly dissolves and leaves a nice thick ring around the glass. The aroma is roasted malt, bitter chocolate and a some toasted coconut. The flavor is dark chocolate, roasted malt and finishes sweet with a little more of the toasted coconut. Its medium bodied with a light amount of carbonation. Nice porter, I like that the coconut is slight which creates a nice complexity to the roasted and chocolate.

4.35/5  rDev +9%

Served in a nonic pint glass.

Appearance: A robust, opaque black. Pours an alarmingly sturdy slightly off white head. Very consistent and very dense. Looks oh-so yummy.

Smell: The dry and chocolaty notes typical of a porter are present. There's also a slightly creamy "nose-feel" to it if that makes any sense, perhaps that's the coconut making itself known.

Taste: Oh yea, that's a good beer. I am not a coconut person by any stretch of the imagination but this is damn good. The dark, chocolaty, malty flavors of this porter are mixed in the sensual goodness of milky coconut. A tinge of bitterness from the hops makes a small appearance here but you have to be looking for it. What I notice about this beer is it doesn't have layered depth like some dark beers where each flavor announces itself on a different part of the tongue at different times, rather the flavors are blended together forming a new entity. Yum Yum.

Mouthfeel: Medium to full bodied without being heavy. Its creamy and smooth. The lighter, less dry flavor of this brew lingers in your mouth without nuking your pallet. Just a fantastic little beer.

Drinkability: Alas, I have never given a 5 to a beer before and this will definitely not be the beer to break that mold. That being said, I have to stretch the finite expanse of my mortal imagination to conjure up the image of a more drinkable beer.

So good. One of my good friends here raves about this beer and now I know why. I will be waiting with great anticipation for this in the years to come.

3.78/5  rDev -5.3%

Great appearance with black color that remains black when held to light. Head is a light tan color and has plenty of thickness and resilience long after the initial pour. Nose is also very appetizing with some soft coconut, roasted malt, and a whiff of hop character in the background. On the palate the flavors are a little subdued, with a thin, watery body, and not as much roasty flavors or coconut that the nose suggested I would find. Easy drinking though, but not the beer I expected based on the nose.

4.56/5  rDev +14.3%

Excited to finally try this. Pint glass pour and a motor oil black ale is produced with a beige small head. Aroma is amazing. Coconut is definitely the big whiff but also dark chocolate, espresso and roasted malts are in there. Wow. The entire taste hits you well after the swallow. Creamy, chocolate, coconut goodness is created. Not an overwhelming coconut taste so fear not all coconut haters. Creamy smooth mouthfeel and the lower ABV invites multiples. I will definitely be going back to this beer in the near future.

Overall I had high hopes for this brew and I was not disappointed. This is without a doubt an amazing beer (in a can no less) that needs to be enjoyed. I am not a huge fan of coconut but this beer had just enough to change the complexity and bring something new to the beer world. Excellent work MB.

4.12/5  rDev +3.3%

I poured this one from a 12oz can into a shaker pint glass.

A= This ale poured a deep brown color with a 1/2" brown head that settled pretty fast. No lacing of note.

S= Very nice aroma of toasted coconut, sweet dark malt, and faint coffee notes. The coconut really added a nice aspect to this aroma profile.

T= Some coconut but unfortunately much less prominent than in the nose. Otherwise, a pretty typical (but good) porter flavor. Sweet malts, lightly roasted grain, and a kiss of earthy hops. Finished pretty toasty, probably from the coconut.

M= Lighter side of medium body with a modest carbonation and lightly watery feel.

D= A very drinkable beer that in my opinion is a B+ porter that gets elevated by its unique coconut aroma. I wish the coconut was stronger in the flavor area, but still a great beer.

3.8/5  rDev -4.8%

This one pours near black with ruby highlights and a tan head. The aroma is sweet and malty - the coconut is present but not overwhelming, as are other scents of lactose, raisins, cola, and a hint of milk chocolate. The taste that follows is very similar - all chocolate, cola, and coconut with no hop presence. I really appreciate the natural, and not overly done, coconut taste. The carbonation is a bit low - and with such a sweet tasting beer, makes the mouthfeel a bit cloying and coating. Overall though, a unique porter worth seeking out.

4.17/5  rDev +4.5%

Grabbed a 4-pack here at The Beermongers...

- Nice dark murky brown color... little clear around the edges in my tumbler... thin mocha head down to just a slight trace of bubblies....

- Nice chocolate smell, sweet chewy coconut... like a macroon in liquid form. Nice earthy bitterness to it as well.

- I let it warm up a little bit, and a nice mild chocolate cocoa and coconut balanced porter is what we have here. Perfect sweetness and balance... roasty chocolate malt and a grainy oat-like finish. Love the blend of earthiness and bitterness with grain.

- Light to medium bodied.. not too chalky and thick... slightly drying.

- Overall this is a fantastic porter... this can hold up to a world class porter like Fullers quite easily. I rather like this, and for the price would certainly buy it again. Great session brew.

4.54/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Poured into a Bruery tulip glass at about 40 degrees.

The Maui Brewing Coconut Porter pours a very dark brown in the glass with a tan froth that dissipates quickly & above average lacing when froth is present. Rich aromas of milk chocolate, subtle smoke, roasted coconut shavings, subtle espresso, roasted malts....damn...this beer smells rich, robust, sweet, full, & awesome! This beer is really only 5,70% abv?!? All of the aromas turn into flavors on the palate with an emphasized roast & chocolate character, sweet/syrpuy texture, & long finish. Although this is definitely a dessert beer, this is one that I'm completely enjoying, one that I highly recommend, & one that I'll absolutely buy in the future! A must try in my opinion!

Poured into a pint that's a cloudy, deep brown that pushes black. The head's a solid brown that maintains as a lacing.

Smells of a charred but rich coffee, chocolate base. The burned nose provides a pleasant juxtaposition to the body.

There's the usual coffee and chocolate but with a note of vanilla and hops. I'm having a tough time picking out the coconut, I'm looking for something sweet. Maybe that's what I'm mistaking the vanilla for. This is odd, but it's interestingly simple while being far from pungent. Coconut porter is... very standard American porter. This is just well brewed.

What's great about this is the dry finish. The carbonation is light but I'm not sure I'd call this smooth. While obviously full bodied, it doesn't seem so heavy; not like a RIS or anything like that.

4.1/5  rDev +2.8%

Serving glass: Poured from can into tall glass.

Appearance: Opaque black that pours a massive tan head that mostly dissipates.

Smell: Coffee and chocolate accented roasted malts with a strong coconut kick.

Taste: The sweet and toasty coconut is very dominant at first but then it deepens with expected chocolate, coffee and bitter hops.

Feel: Moderate carbonation, medium body that is a little lighter than most for the style. Very creamy, with a semi-dry finish.

Drinkability: Overall, this has a lot of flavor. The addition of coconut makes this a surprisingly refreshing Porter. I have edited this review after trying again in January of 2011, when I enjoyed it a lot more.

3.66/5  rDev -8.3%

An extra from augustgarage.. thanks! 12oz can into Snoop Dogg pint.

A- Moderate coffee brown. Minimal head. A bit lighter than porters, in the pour I saw ruby highlights.

S- Coconut. Dark fruit... sweet.

T- Coconut, dark fruit. Redundant, I know. Coffee (sweet cream). Mild sweet milk chocolate. Actually, coconut milk, now that I think of it.

M- Good, sweet, but not overly so.. It was smart to keep the ABV (relatively) low.. I could see this one turning syrupy quick if it was 7 or 8%. As it is, pretty damn good.

D- Moderate. A good beer, prob. wouldn't want more than 1 or 2... but I liked it and think I'd buy it if I came across it.

I'm not the biggest coconut fan, either... but actually think it made the beer. Pretty tasty.

3.94/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

From notes.

Poured from a can into a wine glass (was the only thing available).

Its black with a creamy, off white, slightly brown head with almost no carbonation. There's some lacing left behind. The smell is mostly roasted malt with a slight coconut aroma. The taste is predominantly roasted malts with a good amount of sweetness, some mild bitterness and the coconut shows up in the finish. Its medium bodied, not much viscosity. I can't detect carbonation in the taste. Its also fairly easy drinking and I could see this a good session porter.

3.95/5  rDev -1%

Poured from the can into a Delirium snifter.

A- Pours black with a 2-finger, very bubbly light mocha head.

S- Smells nice and roasty with a heavy dose of toasted cocunut. I'm getting a slight about of coffee as well, but that might just be the nice burnt odor of the malts.

T- Nice flavor, pretty "one-note" but not in a bad way, just roasty, toasty malts with a touch of coconut (not nearly as much as I had anticipated based on the aroma. One down side is a slight metal-like taste in the finish. Very nutty.

M- Slightly over-carbonated for a porter compared to how I prefer the. Drinks a little thinner than I expected as well.

D- Very easy drinking. A great porter all around that I could sip on all night.

3.98/5  rDev -0.3%

A: Dark brown with a creamy light brown head.

S: Slightly nutty, some coffee notes, and caramel, but not overpowering by any means.

T: When cold, it's mostly chocolate malt. This beer really shines when it warms up a bit. Caramelized coconut and cocoa are the dominant flavors.

M: Medium bodied.

D: I enjoyed this beer. I was in Hawaii for my Honeymoon and I bought Maui Brewing Company's beers any time they were available at a restaurant or bar. The coconut porter is probably the best beer made in Hawaii.

4.18/5  rDev +4.8%

largadeer sent me one of these in a monster trade recently. Thanks, Chris!

Dark brown/almost black with a dense light brown head, this beer is solid for the style. Retention is excellent, and the lacework is quite excellent too.

The base porter is quite excellent, with prominent roast, dark chocolate bitterness along with some cocoa. As it warms up, the coconut comes to the front, fleshy but also well balanced. The combination of chocolate and coconut is quite excellent.

The palate opens with a combination of dark chocolate and coconut, fairly well balanced, much along the lines of what you'd expect a coconut truffle to taste like minus the richness. Mildly cola-like, I get a little bitterness towards the finish that could be hop-based (it's a little fruity). Mild medium-roast coffee bitterness is present as well. The finish is long with mild chocolate bitterness and some coconut flavor. Medium-light in body with a high level of carbonation and a great finish, this beer is pretty great and thoroughly drinkable. I'd drink another if I could

4.07/5  rDev +2%

FROM NOTES
REVIEWED ON 09/11/2009
2009 VINTAGE - 12OZ. CAN
SERVED INTO GENERAL LAFAYETTE PINT GLASS

Brew poured a deep brown mahoghany in color, w/ a thin tan head that quickly diminished. Little to no lacing. The nose on this one was fantastic w/ toasted coconut and vanilla filling the room as soon as I cracked open the can. With more attention, I also picked up aromas of light espresso, and biscotti. However, the taste was a little disappointing, w/ notes of chocolate malt/espresso up front, and a finish of toffee and nuttiness, but it lacked the sweet dominant coconut taste I was yearning for. Mouthfeel was medium bodied, hung on the palate and finished dry. This has to be one of the better session brews of all-time, smooth as silk going down nice and easy.

Overall, a very nice sessionable brew from Maui. Would visit this one again, but am definately disappointed by the lack of coconut flavor in the taste.

3.75/5  rDev -6%

Can to glass. A can??!? I do declare!

A: Very dark brown, almost black as an IS. Dark brown thick espresso looking head.

S: Toasted coconut, coffee, vanilla, sugar, sugar cane perhaps?

T: Coconut, vanilla cream, toasted bread, sweet, roasty. There's a strange bitterness at the end. Don't think it's hops, not really like alcohol either, maybe burntness?

M: Medium to thin bodied, slick and smooth.

D: Fairly good, but a little too sweet and creamy for me personally to drink a lot. The body and alcohol are not overpowering at all, the sweetness just turns me off.

Overall: Very good, but a little too sweet for me personally.

Coconut Hiwa Porter from Maui Brewing Co.