Coconut Hiwa Porter | Maui Brewing Co.

good
Read the review
Coconut Hiwa PorterCoconut Hiwa Porter

Maui Brewing Co.
Hawaii, United States | website

Style: American Porter

Formerly CoCoNut Porter

A robust dark ale with hand-toasted coconut & hints of mocha.

Added by TurdFurgison on 03-12-2007

Reviews: 889 | Ratings: 2,179
4.54/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Poured into a Bruery tulip glass at about 40 degrees.

The Maui Brewing Coconut Porter pours a very dark brown in the glass with a tan froth that dissipates quickly & above average lacing when froth is present. Rich aromas of milk chocolate, subtle smoke, roasted coconut shavings, subtle espresso, roasted malts....damn...this beer smells rich, robust, sweet, full, & awesome! This beer is really only 5,70% abv?!? All of the aromas turn into flavors on the palate with an emphasized roast & chocolate character, sweet/syrpuy texture, & long finish. Although this is definitely a dessert beer, this is one that I'm completely enjoying, one that I highly recommend, & one that I'll absolutely buy in the future! A must try in my opinion!

Poured into a pint that's a cloudy, deep brown that pushes black. The head's a solid brown that maintains as a lacing.

Smells of a charred but rich coffee, chocolate base. The burned nose provides a pleasant juxtaposition to the body.

There's the usual coffee and chocolate but with a note of vanilla and hops. I'm having a tough time picking out the coconut, I'm looking for something sweet. Maybe that's what I'm mistaking the vanilla for. This is odd, but it's interestingly simple while being far from pungent. Coconut porter is... very standard American porter. This is just well brewed.

What's great about this is the dry finish. The carbonation is light but I'm not sure I'd call this smooth. While obviously full bodied, it doesn't seem so heavy; not like a RIS or anything like that.

4.1/5  rDev +2.8%

Serving glass: Poured from can into tall glass.

Appearance: Opaque black that pours a massive tan head that mostly dissipates.

Smell: Coffee and chocolate accented roasted malts with a strong coconut kick.

Taste: The sweet and toasty coconut is very dominant at first but then it deepens with expected chocolate, coffee and bitter hops.

Feel: Moderate carbonation, medium body that is a little lighter than most for the style. Very creamy, with a semi-dry finish.

Drinkability: Overall, this has a lot of flavor. The addition of coconut makes this a surprisingly refreshing Porter. I have edited this review after trying again in January of 2011, when I enjoyed it a lot more.

3.66/5  rDev -8.3%

An extra from augustgarage.. thanks! 12oz can into Snoop Dogg pint.

A- Moderate coffee brown. Minimal head. A bit lighter than porters, in the pour I saw ruby highlights.

S- Coconut. Dark fruit... sweet.

T- Coconut, dark fruit. Redundant, I know. Coffee (sweet cream). Mild sweet milk chocolate. Actually, coconut milk, now that I think of it.

M- Good, sweet, but not overly so.. It was smart to keep the ABV (relatively) low.. I could see this one turning syrupy quick if it was 7 or 8%. As it is, pretty damn good.

D- Moderate. A good beer, prob. wouldn't want more than 1 or 2... but I liked it and think I'd buy it if I came across it.

I'm not the biggest coconut fan, either... but actually think it made the beer. Pretty tasty.

3.94/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

From notes.

Poured from a can into a wine glass (was the only thing available).

Its black with a creamy, off white, slightly brown head with almost no carbonation. There's some lacing left behind. The smell is mostly roasted malt with a slight coconut aroma. The taste is predominantly roasted malts with a good amount of sweetness, some mild bitterness and the coconut shows up in the finish. Its medium bodied, not much viscosity. I can't detect carbonation in the taste. Its also fairly easy drinking and I could see this a good session porter.

3.95/5  rDev -1%

Poured from the can into a Delirium snifter.

A- Pours black with a 2-finger, very bubbly light mocha head.

S- Smells nice and roasty with a heavy dose of toasted cocunut. I'm getting a slight about of coffee as well, but that might just be the nice burnt odor of the malts.

T- Nice flavor, pretty "one-note" but not in a bad way, just roasty, toasty malts with a touch of coconut (not nearly as much as I had anticipated based on the aroma. One down side is a slight metal-like taste in the finish. Very nutty.

M- Slightly over-carbonated for a porter compared to how I prefer the. Drinks a little thinner than I expected as well.

D- Very easy drinking. A great porter all around that I could sip on all night.

3.98/5  rDev -0.3%

A: Dark brown with a creamy light brown head.

S: Slightly nutty, some coffee notes, and caramel, but not overpowering by any means.

T: When cold, it's mostly chocolate malt. This beer really shines when it warms up a bit. Caramelized coconut and cocoa are the dominant flavors.

M: Medium bodied.

D: I enjoyed this beer. I was in Hawaii for my Honeymoon and I bought Maui Brewing Company's beers any time they were available at a restaurant or bar. The coconut porter is probably the best beer made in Hawaii.

4.18/5  rDev +4.8%

largadeer sent me one of these in a monster trade recently. Thanks, Chris!

Dark brown/almost black with a dense light brown head, this beer is solid for the style. Retention is excellent, and the lacework is quite excellent too.

The base porter is quite excellent, with prominent roast, dark chocolate bitterness along with some cocoa. As it warms up, the coconut comes to the front, fleshy but also well balanced. The combination of chocolate and coconut is quite excellent.

The palate opens with a combination of dark chocolate and coconut, fairly well balanced, much along the lines of what you'd expect a coconut truffle to taste like minus the richness. Mildly cola-like, I get a little bitterness towards the finish that could be hop-based (it's a little fruity). Mild medium-roast coffee bitterness is present as well. The finish is long with mild chocolate bitterness and some coconut flavor. Medium-light in body with a high level of carbonation and a great finish, this beer is pretty great and thoroughly drinkable. I'd drink another if I could

4.07/5  rDev +2%

FROM NOTES
REVIEWED ON 09/11/2009
2009 VINTAGE - 12OZ. CAN
SERVED INTO GENERAL LAFAYETTE PINT GLASS

Brew poured a deep brown mahoghany in color, w/ a thin tan head that quickly diminished. Little to no lacing. The nose on this one was fantastic w/ toasted coconut and vanilla filling the room as soon as I cracked open the can. With more attention, I also picked up aromas of light espresso, and biscotti. However, the taste was a little disappointing, w/ notes of chocolate malt/espresso up front, and a finish of toffee and nuttiness, but it lacked the sweet dominant coconut taste I was yearning for. Mouthfeel was medium bodied, hung on the palate and finished dry. This has to be one of the better session brews of all-time, smooth as silk going down nice and easy.

Overall, a very nice sessionable brew from Maui. Would visit this one again, but am definately disappointed by the lack of coconut flavor in the taste.

3.75/5  rDev -6%

Can to glass. A can??!? I do declare!

A: Very dark brown, almost black as an IS. Dark brown thick espresso looking head.

S: Toasted coconut, coffee, vanilla, sugar, sugar cane perhaps?

T: Coconut, vanilla cream, toasted bread, sweet, roasty. There's a strange bitterness at the end. Don't think it's hops, not really like alcohol either, maybe burntness?

M: Medium to thin bodied, slick and smooth.

D: Fairly good, but a little too sweet and creamy for me personally to drink a lot. The body and alcohol are not overpowering at all, the sweetness just turns me off.

Overall: Very good, but a little too sweet for me personally.

4.27/5  rDev +7%

Snagged a 4 pack of cans at Bevmo for ~$8.

It pours a very nearly opaque black with a tall brown head. As the head dies off, it leaves little in the way of lacing.

Smell is definitely chocolate heavy, though there is a bit of roasted malt smell too.

Taste follows smell. Chocolate (the earlier description of fudge is apt) and a toasted malt. I'm not really picking up a lot in the way of coconut, though that doesn't detract from the beer at all. It tastes quite good.

It is far from a light beer, and nowhere near as chewy as a barleywine, which I guess would put somewhere in the vicinity of medium bodied. The beer leaves a little stickiness on your lips too.

Although it's not my favorite porter, this is usually a staple of my fridge, mostly because my wife is a fan. An additional benefit is that you can fit a lot more of these cans in the door of your fridge then you can bottles.

4.64/5  rDev +16.3%

12oz can poured into a pint glass courtesy of MASPuros.

A: Pours a dark cola with a tan head that fades to near nothing and leaves no real lacing on the glass.

S: The nose is excellent. Baker's chocolate, fudge, vanilla, and cocoa. It smells like fudge and had me very excited to take a sip.

T: Taste is chocolate/cocoa, sweet vanilla, and a roasted maltiness. Great stuff although I'm not picking up much coconut.

M: Mouthfeel is thin but this isn't exactly an Imperial Porter. It could be a bit creamier.

D: I would drink this all the time if I could buy it here.

Thanks for the can, Mike!

3.95/5  rDev -1%

Sample at the Most Honorable SuperHappyFun Stout Tasting. Can courtesy of a traveling coworker. This beer pours a dark brown/mahogany color with a medium thin beige head that diminishes steadily. Aroma of coconut and roasted pralines. Medium body with flavors of coconut milk, roasted nuts and dark chocolate. Touches of hops as well. The finish is creamy with a mild coconut aftertaste. Interesting and enjoyable overall.

3.95/5  rDev -1%

Received this one in a trade with EliottJW, thanks a lot man!

Appearance: Very dark brown or black with a 1.5 finger brown head that recedes slowly. Let's some, but very little, light through. OK lacing.

Smell: Chocolate, roasted malts, some vanilla. This aroma reminds me more of a stout than a porter. Maybe the smallest hint of coconut in the nose.

Taste: Goes along pretty well with the aroma. Flavors of milk chocolate, vanilla, burnt/roasted malts. Coconut comes out towards the middle of the sip and as you swallow. Finish is also roasty with some mild bitterness and a lingering dark chocolate flavor.

Mouthfeel: A semi-sweet and smooth beginning turns slightly bitter but still smooth middle and end. Creamy too, it coats the tongue for a bit.

Drinkability: Up there with some of the lower ABV stouts (as I feel this is drinking/tasting more like a stout than a porter) but overall not bad.

Glad I got to try this one. Wish there was a more prevalent coconut flavor. It might just be my digging, but it comes out a little more as the beer warms, but still not all that powerful, but all together not too shabby.

3.98/5  rDev -0.3%

Received as an extra in a trade with PretzelCity

Poured a rich black with brown fringes in light, huge pillowy head that faded fairly fast to a thick film that hung high on the wall of the glass
Smell was deep roasted barley with a big coffee and dark chocolate presence, no coconut noticed otherwise would have scored higher
Taste was very strong big coffee and dark chocolate again, only a very slight coconut note and its way in the back, the longer the beer sits the more the coconut sneaks out
Mouthfeel is a thin medium and very bright in the carbonation dept. almost too bubbly on the tongue
Drinkability- very good porter right up there near the top, if there was more of a coconut presence it would fit its name even better

4.47/5  rDev +12%

A big thanks to Tzanio for this one!

L: Pours a nice brown with red tints on the bottom with a big and light tan colored head that laces the glass nicely on the way down.
S: Smells of sweet and burnt malts and a hint of something sweet at the end of it, most likely the coconut. It really has an intriguing aroma to it.
T: Like the nose, it has a nice burnt and sweet roasted malt taste and then a really slightly chalky, burnt, sweet coconut taste with a really roasted aftertaste.
M: Very crisp, slightly burnt and a tad milky with a really crisp finish and the perfect amount of carbonation.
D: Very drinkable, this is an AWESOME Porter. Really good stuff here.

3.98/5  rDev -0.3%

12 oz. can served in a tulip, paired with a chocolate lava cake.

A: dark brown, almost black. very little head but a good amount of lacing that stuck to the glass all the way through.

S: coffee, bitter chocolate, not much coconut at first, but it started to come out as the beer warmed.

T: strong coffee and chocolate flavor, but with more of a sweet chocolate taste than is present in the aroma. the coconut is subtle but gets stronger throughout the brew.

M: medium bodied and dry. was expecting a bit more richness, but still a nice mouthfeel.

D: this was perfectly paired with the chocolate lava cake and it's very easy to imagine this beer being just as good on its own. the coconut wasn't overpowering (in fact, just the opposite- the coconut flavor was well balanced) and it wasn't too sweet. I was expecting it to be a bit more full bodied, but that certainly doesn't take away from an otherwise excellent brew.

3.94/5  rDev -1.3%

Okay. I don't drink beer from a can. Once introduced to real beer, I was taught that to put beer in a metal container of any kind was sacrilege and should be looked down upon at every turn. However, with the progress of food technology, cans have been engineered to protect beer and preserve its flavor with little interference from it's metallic cage. So, the dilemma reveals its self.
I went to the San Diego beerfest this year and I heard of a beer made with toasted coconut. I had to have it. But upon my arrival to the long line that would lead me to deliciousness, I learned that Maui had run out. I believed my chance to get it on tap was lost. Finally I was convinced to have it out of the can. It was delicious. This wonderful coffee toasty malty smell was rising up out the can. But I poured it in to a pint glass anyway.
There's a big head on this sucker but that goes away pretty soon. And pretty soon, you will forget this comes in a can instead of the way awesome coconut shell mug portrayed on the can. The toasted coconut comes through really well, and leaves a wonderful aftertaste making it very drinkable. I would raise my coconut mug if I had one, but instead I'll raise my glass and tell you, "There is some good beer that comes in a can. And it's flipping delicious...No. Go get your own."

4.25/5  rDev +6.5%

Got this 12oz can from Murchmac - thanks man!

A: Pours a very dark black color with a few fingers of khaki colored head that settles down to a couple millimeter thick layer, but doesn't really lace the glass on the way down. Looks almost like an imperial stout at first glance.

S: Smells mainly like milk chocolate, roasted malts, and surprisingly coconut, some vanilla in there too (actually a tootsie roll scent is very much what i'm getting here)

T: Very much like the smell - moderately sweet milk chocolate, slight roasted malts, coconut and vanilla all meld together to make a solid flavor.

M: Very full mouthfeel, not creamy per se, yet coats the palate well with a good amount of carbonation although it makes it slightly dry

D: Good flavor with no alcohol taste, it's tasty enough where I want to keep drinking more sips so that's a good sign!

4.3/5  rDev +7.8%

Poured from a 12oz can. Split with my A-B rep Chris who might I add is pretty amazing.

A- Pours a very deep brown color. Little 1/2 finger tannish head that dies rather quickly and leaves no lacing on the sides of the glass while I drank.

S- Upon first smell this was like a giant tootise roll smell. Nice roasted malts in the background mingle with a chocolate aroma. A light sweet coconut smell comes and goes. When this warms up you can can make out the coconut a lot better along with a light vanilla scent.

T- Big roasted malts upfront with some semisweet chocolate notes to this. The middle of the beer is where there was a strong coconut flavor before going into a light coffee/toasted flavor. As this warmed up in my hands I could taste the sweetness of the coconut more and more making it a very interesting beer.

M- Medium mouthfeel on this one. Carbonation was good letting the beer work around on the palate. Nice roasted malt/chocolate/coconut taste left on the palate. Semi toasted aftertaste with a sweet coconut in the background.

D- This is a highly drinkable beer. I would recommend this beer to anyone who wants to try something different and good. Glad I got to try this one out.

4.1/5  rDev +2.8%

12 oz can poured into a little hotel glass

pours a rich, dark brown. Not cloudy, very little head. Smells of chocolate and coconuts, a little smoke and toffee.

Taste is strongly coffee and chocolate with a nice leavening of coconut, surprisingly sweet.

Mouthfeel is exceptionally light for a porter. Quite drinkable.

3.9/5  rDev -2.3%

A - Black with ruby highlights and a tan off white head. Very appropriate for a porter.

S - Toasted coconut, chocolate and rich malt dominate.

T - Great fruit beers are great beers before the fruit and this definitely is. Roasty smooth porter invites the coconut and blends seemlessly instead of just adding a distracting flavor. Fantastic.

M - Medium Heavy body but not so much that it becomes so noticeable you wouldnt want more.

D - The only thing detracting this from a better score is that while I love coconut I couldnt drink a coconut beer all night before my palate wore out on it. Still a supremely drinkable beer.

4.43/5  rDev +11%

One finger of head sits atop a nearly black body. Smell is toasted coconut, freshly ground coffee, citrus hops, and a bit of chocolate and spices.

First sip seems mostly to be an empty coffee profile, but further into the glass this is revealing itself to have a complex subtlety to it that makes it quite enjoyable. Low ABV stouts and porters tend to have very weak flavor profiles, but this is definitely one of the better ones I have come across. No off flavors at all, only a slight bit of coffee bitterness. Great session brew in my opinion.

Medium bodied and very easy to drink, this beer is a winner for the style.

4.27/5  rDev +7%

Beer is dark, dark brown and forms a fluffy head that dies a quick death. Nose is, you guessed it, coconut, but with some chocolate and molasses mixed in, really enticing smell. Beer is well balanced with a roastiness that carries through the entire drink. Finish leaves a mild chocolate flavor on your palate. Medium bodied with appropriate carbonation a no noticeable alcohol bite, you can really drink this one quick and go back for more. I'd recommend this beer especially to those who only seems to drink Guinness and Newcastle.

3.84/5  rDev -3.8%

Poured a dark brown, almost black color. Tan head about half inch tall, although retention was lacking a bit. A little bit of lacing during the drinking period.

Really nice roasted aroma, dark chocolate and coconut. Couldn't detect any hop aroma.

Flavor of dark roasted malts, unsweetened chocolate, toasted coconut. Like a dark roasted coffee without too much bitterness and a bit of coconut sweetness making this a nice dry porter overall.

Medium bodied. Bittersweet chocolate flavor lingers after each drink; I found that to be nice and pleasant between drinks.

Good drinkability, may be a little too rich after a while though. Although the brew doesn't sit too heavy, I'd imagine if you had 4 or 5 of these, they might get a little too sweet. Then again, having one or two would be a great way to start off or end your night.

Coconut Hiwa Porter from Maui Brewing Co.