Coconut Hiwa Porter | Maui Brewing Co.

good
Read the review
Coconut Hiwa PorterCoconut Hiwa Porter

Maui Brewing Co.
Hawaii, United States
mauibrewingco.com

Style: American Porter

Formerly CoCoNut Porter

A robust dark ale with hand-toasted coconut & hints of mocha.

Added by TurdFurgison on 03-12-2007

firstprev| 851-875 | 876-900 | 901-925  | next → last
Reviews: 909 | Ratings: 2,261
4.42/5  rDev +10.8%

I only got a 4 ounce taster of this at the stone 11th anniversary festival so I will do my best. It poured from a can with a dark chocolate color standard of any porter. The cocunut really came through the roasted dark malt in the smell which was a huge plus. It tasted very roasty and nutty and the cocunut was not over powering but just right. It was medium on the mouthfeel, not an extremely viscous porter which was nice on the hot day. Extremely drinkable even for those who may not be in to porters. I definitely want to get my hands on some of this beer.

4.47/5  rDev +12%

Sampled during Stone's 11th Anniversary event.

Color is dark with a good amount of head and slight lacing.

Aroma is incredible, roasted malts, coffee, toffee, chocolate, and some coconut milk.

Tastes very interesting, coffee, roasted malts, coconut is a nice addition to the syle.

Mouthfeel is very silky, like drinking coconut milk with coffee and chocolate. Drinks pretty easy.

4.32/5  rDev +8.3%

At Mala's Ocean Tavern in Lahaina on Maui, the waiter cracked open a can of this Coconut Porter and poured it straight down into a frosted pint glass. 4 inches of foam came up and I told him I would do the pouring...

This beer, when handled gently, pours a gritty brown black color with a chocolaty foamy head that lasts quite a while. It looks thick. On the nose I get a lot of toasted barley with a blast of coffee. I guess you could call it toasted coconut if you were looking for it. On the tongue the beer feels huge with slightly sweet toffee, toasted barley, then a surge of coffee and finally a lingering burnt note that is perfect. No fruity esters and the hops are in the background only. Smooth with a balanced finish. Highly drinkable.

Overall: not sure I found the coconute, but this makes a great coffee porter.

3.55/5  rDev -11%

Not a big fan of porters, but this is awesome! Pours a nice dark brown with a creamy tan, two-finger head. The smell of coconut wafting from the glass is almost enough to subdue me alone. I'm not a fan of herb/fruit flavored beers, but the coconut flavor melds seamlessly with the heavy mouthfeel of the porter. Hop flavor is slightly noticable in the background, but has a pleasant hop bitterness. Or maybe its from the roasted barley. I served this beer with dessert at a recent dinner-party instead of the vintage port I was thinking of serving. Props to Maui Brewing Co. for such a unique beer; too bad I can't find it on the mainland.

On another note, Maui Brewing Co. is pioneering what they call the "Micro-Canning Revolution," denouncing previously held myths about canning premium beer. The revolutionary packaging method would be a total hit in the coastal areas of the US, especially San Diego. There is a growing majority of premium-beer connoisseurs who would like to have a canned option to enjoy beachside or poolside during the summer. I hope more breweries follow this trend in the future. I NEED better beer to drink at the beach!

4.2/5  rDev +5.3%

Sampled at the San Diego County Fair.

This was an interesting - and good - roasty, chocolate-y porter. Taste is quite interesting with the introduction of coconut. I've always enjoyed coconut with chocolate, and this beer brings them together nicely. Lots of coconut in the flavor here. Cappuccino flavors are also nicely present. And chocolate of course.

I quite enjoyed this. A unique porter, and one that worked surprisingly well. Highly recommended for at least a try. I suppose the body could be slightly stronger for me to really love this beer, but it's also about par for the style.

4.04/5  rDev +1.3%

A - Big dark bubbles form and quickly dissappear, likely due to the oil in the coconut. Opaque black.

S - Toasted coconut and chocolate. Very good.

T - I get almost nothing when it first hits my tongue, but then a cake-like blend of toasted coconut and chocolate shows up. Aftertaste is bitter dark chocolate with a hint coffee.

M - Creamy, but light... again reminding me of a light moist cake.

D - Easy enough to toss back, but there is also a complexity if you are looking for that sort of thing.

I've only got the one sample can, I can definitely say I would drink this again. I think they nailed the coconut perfectly, and the base beer is chocolatey goodness.

Thanks to Noxious26 for the can!

4.62/5  rDev +15.8%

Bought this from the brewery in Maui. Cool looking can. I drank alot from the cans over there, now I'm home and poured it into a pint glass.

Decent head, but it fades pretty quickly. I was expecting this because coconuts are so fatty, which would deter the foam. Actually I'm amazed it even has any foam. Otherwise, it's a pretty average looking porter.

Really chocolatey aroma, super rich and appealing. None of that east coast porter nose thing going on, and smells better than most Irish stouts. I smell toasted coconut, but I knew to look for it.

Really one of the best porters I've ever tasted. Big rich chocolate taste, like a melted Hershey bar. Lots of roasted, toasted notes. Very faintly hopped, with a gentle bitterness that's perfect for the beer.

The mouthfeel is the highlight with this one. Very silky and creamy. Light on the palate, allowing for big sessions. Perfect amount of carbonation, just enough to carry the maltiness and nothing more.

Great drinkability as well. Never too heavy. Wouldn't have guessed they could make a porter that's light enough for a hot day at the beach, yet full of rich flavor, but they came through in a big way. Highly recommended, especially for chocolate lovers, red wine buffs, and people who think dark beers suck.

Big time cheers!

3.43/5  rDev -14%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz can poured in a pint glass. Picture on the front looks like a mug made out of a coconut and also shows a vat labelled 1814 that is cracked and spilling porter all over. They also have a big write up about why they chose cans for their product over bottles.

Black, opaque with chestnut highlights around the edges when held to the light. Light brown creamy head is 1/8 inch on the pour, but reduces to a thin ring around the edge.

Aroma is mainly roasted malts and toasted coconut. Some hints of spices in the background. Interesting, I can't say I've ever smelled a beer like this before.

Taste is like a standard porter, but with a big toasted coconut flavour throughout. Toasted coconut up front with roasted malts in the background. Aftertaste is a mild version of the same profile.

Thin-medium body with minimal carbonation. A little thin for what I'd expect from a porter, but in Maui, when the heat is on, I don't think I'd want to have a big heavy thick beer.

An interesting beer, but not one that I'd want to drink all the time. The coconut flavour is just too bold. I'd prefer it to be more of a background flavour instead.

4.18/5  rDev +4.8%

We picked up a growler from the source. I think the name of the place has changed to Maui Brewing Company, I know it's the same place listed on BA as Fish & Game Brewing due to the same beer names. Anyway this beer was a real find, although it was difficult to taste the coconut. Mostly it was a smooth and rich porter, easy to drink.

I hope to review a different Maui Brewing beer every night or two, as we plan to re-fill the growler (right now they're serving a DIPA which will probably be next).

firstprev| 851-875 | 876-900 | 901-925  | next → last
Coconut Hiwa Porter from Maui Brewing Co.