Coconut Hiwa Porter | Maui Brewing Co.

good
Read the review
Coconut Hiwa PorterCoconut Hiwa Porter

Maui Brewing Co.
Hawaii, United States
mauibrewingco.com

Style: American Porter

Formerly CoCoNut Porter

A robust dark ale with hand-toasted coconut & hints of mocha.

Added by TurdFurgison on 03-12-2007

Ratings: 2,289 |  Reviews: 917

2.82/5  rDev -29.1%

2.85/5  rDev -28.4%

A - Dark black with lighter brown highlights - Head retention is minimal and lacing is non-existent.

S - Pretty bad. The coconut does not compliment the smoky porter smell.

T - It tastes decent. Ripe fruits, but also a little taste of something sour. Coconut flavor is prevalent in the background.

M- Smooth and creamy, like a good porter should be.

D - If this were at a bar with the normal selections for Ventura, this one would finish second to Amstel Light for the next round.

2.86/5  rDev -28.1%

Picked up a 4-pk on a recent trip to Honolulu.

A little bit of sweetness and a hint of coconut, but beyond that a hodgepodge of flavors. There's a bite at the end which I think takes away from this beer's experience. It seems to be tasting better as it warms and I would suggest future drinkers let it warm for at least 20 min after removing from fridge.

My plan is to enjoy my next 4-pk while in Hawaii -- I think it will taste much better then :)

2.92/5  rDev -26.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Meh.

For a beer that runs over $9 for a 4 pack, i was expecting this to blow me away. It didn't.

It's about a middle of the road porter. Not much going on. Nothing there to positively distinguish itself from others in its price range.

I got Zero coconut hints, aromas, or flavor. Nothing. Zip. Zilch. Nada.

The mouthfeel is light and the flavor is very subdued in a bland way.

Not a fan, especially for the price.

2.93/5  rDev -26.4%

I must admit, this beer was a disappointment to me. I was so excited when I found it and immediately snapped up a 4-pack of 12oz cans ($11.49+).

The familiar cusssh of the pop-top can led to a smell that at first was chocolate/coffee divination, as were the first few sips. Soon, however, the beer started to grow on me in a bad way. It's just too sweet for my tastes, which is odd for me to write because on the whole, I like rich, dark beers.

It kind of reminds me of movie theatre popcorn. When the smell first hits you you're drawn immediately to the snack bar. The first few bites (sips) meet the anticipation generated by the smell. About 5 minutes into it, you start to say to yourself "I should have stopped after the first few mouthfuls."

Sorry, Maui lovers - it looks & smells great, but that's about it for me.

Coconut Hiwa Porter from Maui Brewing Co.