Coconut Hiwa Porter | Maui Brewing Co.

good
Read the review
Coconut Hiwa PorterCoconut Hiwa Porter

Maui Brewing Co.
Hawaii, United States
mauibrewingco.com

Style: American Porter

Formerly CoCoNut Porter

A robust dark ale with hand-toasted coconut & hints of mocha.

Added by TurdFurgison on 03-12-2007

Reviews: 907 | Ratings: 2,254
3.94/5  rDev -1.3%

Brown pour, seems to have more clarity or less viscosity than I would have imagined, leaves the tiniest amount of head, off white. Aroma, definitely coconut and coffee it seems, or was that toffee and some woodyness.

Taste, good amount of coconut, not artificially sweetened from what I can tell, holds itself in check. Would have liked a rougher bitter, hoppier edge, but for a summertime porter, I guess smooth is the way to go. Chocolate comes through more down can. Price = ugh, $12 a 6 pack, but it is very drinkable.

look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to Kalei for these cans. Out of my Trappist Rochefort glass...

A- Deep brownish black. Pours with a nice light chocolate colored head. The head retreats quickly, and there is pretty much no lacing.

S- The smell is quite pleasant. Scents of coconut and vanilla mostly, with strong nutty notes. I get some hints of chocolate as well.

T The aftertaste is quite robust and roasty, with some spice coming through. Again, mostly coconut, vanilla, nut, and chocolate. Good complex taste for a beer of this nature.

M- A little too much carbonation. The body is a little watery too, but not too bad. If I would do anything to this beer, I'd reduce the carbonation and thicken it a tiny bit.

O- For a sessionable porter, it is really nice and tasty. I'd keep this stuff in my fridge if it was around, as I could see non-beer junkies liking this too. Pretty good...

-Gfunk

3.94/5  rDev -1.3%

Okay. I don't drink beer from a can. Once introduced to real beer, I was taught that to put beer in a metal container of any kind was sacrilege and should be looked down upon at every turn. However, with the progress of food technology, cans have been engineered to protect beer and preserve its flavor with little interference from it's metallic cage. So, the dilemma reveals its self.
I went to the San Diego beerfest this year and I heard of a beer made with toasted coconut. I had to have it. But upon my arrival to the long line that would lead me to deliciousness, I learned that Maui had run out. I believed my chance to get it on tap was lost. Finally I was convinced to have it out of the can. It was delicious. This wonderful coffee toasty malty smell was rising up out the can. But I poured it in to a pint glass anyway.
There's a big head on this sucker but that goes away pretty soon. And pretty soon, you will forget this comes in a can instead of the way awesome coconut shell mug portrayed on the can. The toasted coconut comes through really well, and leaves a wonderful aftertaste making it very drinkable. I would raise my coconut mug if I had one, but instead I'll raise my glass and tell you, "There is some good beer that comes in a can. And it's flipping delicious...No. Go get your own."

3.94/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

A: Pours a dark, dark brown - almost black. Aggressively poured a 3 finger fluffy tan colored head that hangs around in the glass for an eternity. Leaves an awesome lacing on the glass.

S: Wofts strong roasted malts and tons of dark chocolate. Also getting smells of black coffee.

T: The taste is really good, but I really don't get much coconut. I get chocolate and roasted malt, which is really good. I also taste a good deal of coffee. Finishes with a little bit of bitterness.

M: The body of this isn't great. I had to stop and remind myself that this IS just a porter, so it isnt supposed to be super full, but that's what I was expecting for the look. That being said, it's still a little light for my liking of a porter. The carbonation is good though.

O: Overall, an above-average beer, and I am glad I got to try it. If I wasn't expecting coconut I would've actually rated it higher, but I felt a little dooped by that expectation. Really good tasting, but I got very little coconut.

look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

From notes.

Poured from a can into a wine glass (was the only thing available).

Its black with a creamy, off white, slightly brown head with almost no carbonation. There's some lacing left behind. The smell is mostly roasted malt with a slight coconut aroma. The taste is predominantly roasted malts with a good amount of sweetness, some mild bitterness and the coconut shows up in the finish. Its medium bodied, not much viscosity. I can't detect carbonation in the taste. Its also fairly easy drinking and I could see this a good session porter.

CoCoNut Porter
12 oz. can
Canned 012114 jet ink on the bottom of the can
Served in an 8 oz. hotel glass

I picked up a 4 pack of cans this afternoon at a convenience store in Kauai.

This beer pours a jet black, opaque in appearance with a khaki colored head on top. I get whiffs of malts and sugary sweetness in the nose.

This porter has a nice mouthfeel to it. Dark roasted malts with hints of espresso, chocolate and cocoa. I taste some sugary sweetness with a pleasant toasted coconut profile. There is a mini hop snap on the finish that provides a mini bite.

12 oz. can,

A: Pours brown, with a somewhat fizzy off-white head, thick, fair retention.

S: A lot of coconut meat, though it is astringent at times, light coffee.

T: Coconut juice at first sip, some charcoal and herbal bitterness hits next. The beer ends with some dark chocolate and a sweet coconut note.

M: Light-bodied, a tad on the thin side, oily.

D: A tasty porter from Maui, a dark beer that gives you a tropical feel is something I like, nice to see more canned microbrews. A tasty porter that I think is worthy of its hype.

3.94/5  rDev -1.3%

Appearance: Pours a dark brown, near black body with no real substantial head formation, but I was running my damn mouth, so I could've just missed it.

Smell: Pleasant aroma; a blend of chocolate, coconut, dark malts, and morningtime coffee.

Taste: Dark maltiness tasting of roasty coffee and baker's chocolate and, of course, there's the toasted coconut shavings. Medium sweetness. Light, earthy hops and bitterness. Sweetish finish where the coconut really gains a hold over the palate.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: A yummy porter is what it is. And in a can, no less. The addition of coconut breathes a bit of new life into the humble, sometimes lackluster porter style. I feel a trip to Hawaii would be entirely wasted on me, as I'd spend a considerable amount of it at the Maui Brewing Co.

3.95/5  rDev -1%

A - Dark brown/ black with a very very light brown head.

S - A sweet smell. There isn't much coconut in the nose, but there is dark chocolate and coffee.

T - The dark chocolate and coffee flavors are the most prominent. There is also a very slight coconut flavor, but it is not very powerful. The finish is a slight bitterness from the hops, but it is a really tasty finish.

M - Medium body with fairly heavy carbonation that is pleasant on the tongue.

O - I am usually underwhelmed by porters, but this is quite tasty and has a lot of great things working in its favor.

3.95/5  rDev -1%

Can gifted by coworker dated 030111. Poured to pint.

A: Pours a quite dark brown with a pinky of fine-bubbled head. A tip of the glass reveals constant carbonation streaming up from the depths. No lacing to speak of.

S: Big semi-sweet toasted coconut and chocolate. Good balance.

T: Nice coconut here, too. Roasted malts with a hint of coffee. Mild, pleasant sweetness that plays nicely with the bitterness.

M: Medium-light. Too carbonated, though. A little sticky afterward.

A nice beer; pleasantly surprised considering the can date. I think one in a sitting is plenty. This filled in for dessert, and did so admirably.

I'd have one again.

3.95/5  rDev -1%

A: Dark, dark brown with an enormous brown foamy and even fizzy head--decent retention that eventually fades to a thin film; lacing is okay

S: Roasty chocolate malts with subtle coconut aroma; the pleasant fruity coconut sweetness meshes well with the roasted dark chocolate malts

T: Up front mostly roasted malts that are a touch sour--seems a bit disappointing until the roasted coconuts invade, helping to bring the roasted malts up to par; chocolate and some dark fruits are subtly prevalent as well

F: A touch thinner that I would want, even for a porter

O: A nice take on the style; I wish it had slightly more body but this is quite the refreshing and unique beer

3.95/5  rDev -1%

A big shout out to woodychandler for this beer. Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a black color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of roasted malts and coconut. Taste is good, big and malty up front, settles in with some chocolate and coconut. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is a high quality beer.

3.95/5  rDev -1%

Poured from the can into a Delirium snifter.

A- Pours black with a 2-finger, very bubbly light mocha head.

S- Smells nice and roasty with a heavy dose of toasted cocunut. I'm getting a slight about of coffee as well, but that might just be the nice burnt odor of the malts.

T- Nice flavor, pretty "one-note" but not in a bad way, just roasty, toasty malts with a touch of coconut (not nearly as much as I had anticipated based on the aroma. One down side is a slight metal-like taste in the finish. Very nutty.

M- Slightly over-carbonated for a porter compared to how I prefer the. Drinks a little thinner than I expected as well.

D- Very easy drinking. A great porter all around that I could sip on all night.

3.95/5  rDev -1%

Received this one in a trade with EliottJW, thanks a lot man!

Appearance: Very dark brown or black with a 1.5 finger brown head that recedes slowly. Let's some, but very little, light through. OK lacing.

Smell: Chocolate, roasted malts, some vanilla. This aroma reminds me more of a stout than a porter. Maybe the smallest hint of coconut in the nose.

Taste: Goes along pretty well with the aroma. Flavors of milk chocolate, vanilla, burnt/roasted malts. Coconut comes out towards the middle of the sip and as you swallow. Finish is also roasty with some mild bitterness and a lingering dark chocolate flavor.

Mouthfeel: A semi-sweet and smooth beginning turns slightly bitter but still smooth middle and end. Creamy too, it coats the tongue for a bit.

Drinkability: Up there with some of the lower ABV stouts (as I feel this is drinking/tasting more like a stout than a porter) but overall not bad.

Glad I got to try this one. Wish there was a more prevalent coconut flavor. It might just be my digging, but it comes out a little more as the beer warms, but still not all that powerful, but all together not too shabby.

3.95/5  rDev -1%

Damn glad I found this apparently it's not brewed anymore but it's been on my tick list for months. Paid the price on this one 5 bucks at the house of 1,000

A - Color is fairly dark for a porter just a touch of amber at the base. Head is equally mocha in color getting a 1/4 inch that settles to a lace ring.

S - Well I can't pick up much coconut but the porter base is stellar with mild chocolate and coffee and little hops or harsh roasts. Maybe some vanilla too.

T - Well I can't knock it much but maybe I do taste some toasted coconut in the mix. Mostly again chocolate and roast, a touch of anise and burnt sugars yet more sweet than chalky. Still a touch dry in the finish to remind you it's a porter.

M - Medium bodied and carbonation is a bit bubbly yet enjoyable.

Overall I guess I can't find this anymore but it was worth putting down the coin. A balanced porter with mild coconut flavors.

3.95/5  rDev -1%

Poured from a 12 oz. can into a standard pint.

A: Black. Pours about a 1 finger, frothy, brown-white head. Settles pretty quickly eventually leaving a smattering of foam on the surface. Just a touch of lacing.

S: Roasted or scorched malt, roasted coffee, and dark unsweetened chocolate. A little sweet too.

T: Roasted malt and coffee lead the way. Unsweetened dark chocolate (you know like that baking kind your mom used to have in the pantry that looked really appealing but was really bitter and otherwise tasteless). A slight tinge of buttery sweetness.

M: Thick, hearty, robust. Strong body, dry bittersweet finish. Does have just a little bit of a 'shallow' feel.

D: Mmmm. Nice hearty porter with a great flavor and body.

Atmosphere is good. Dark intimidating appearance, and a nice frothy head (especially for a can). Nose is not complex, but heavily toasted malt, coffee, and dark chocolate. Tastes a lot like it smells. Toasted malt, coffee, the bittersweet taste of unsweetened chocolate, and just a subtle hint of buttery sweetness. Overall, this is a really good quaff.

3.95/5  rDev -1%

Mega mega easy thick dark tan head but in time this retreats to wisps and light lines, still, it looks really good going in the glass. No even tempted for a moment to chug it from the can.

Smells smooth deep rich and a an almost velvety (if that can be a smell) sweetness which does sort of slow down the longer its exposed to the elements.
Generally pretty black with some crimson flecks.
Taste also has a more smoothly oaky quality than coconut with a slight metallic touch and then some coffee and some bitterness which all pretty gentile.

DEcent, intereting but not at all earth shattering. But I would definitely seek it out again.

3.95/5  rDev -1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A: Black body with mocha head(adequate dissipation) and minimal lacing.

S: Smells of roasted malt, coffee, espresso, vanilla, and milk chocolate, and very faint coconut(where is it?).

T: Taste of vanilla, milk chocolate, espresso, roasted malt, and a cherry/coconut aftertaste.

M: Smooth/creamy/milky, medium bodied, medium to high carbonation, and apparent alcohol(not at all intruding).

O: Very tasty porter, but I find the coconut presence disappointing. I defiantly recommend, but it's kind of expensive. I suppose if I couldn't get black butte, it would be runner up(possibly). Anywhoo... Check it out.

3.95/5  rDev -1%

Opaque black with just a hint of amber-chocolate around the edges and cratered tan foam that's slow to fade but leaves little lace. Baking chocolate, sprucey birch beer, and yes, some toasty coconut on the nose.
Milk chocolate, soil, caramelized sugar, some treacly black malts and a heavy dose of toast then slight woody hops.
Coconut only shows on the finish then a lean minty linger. Light-medium, chewy, quite lively; no hint of 6%.

Well layered malts give some real sweetness - fruit flies came straight for this one. Hops (Cascade and Columbus, seemingly) don't show up to the party. Lightness in body would keep me from calling this a porter, if I were asked. The carbonation does keep it from cloying, but overall I feel it hurts the body of what could be a more substantial porter, even though it probably suits hot weather.

Somehow less than it could be.

3.95/5  rDev -1%

Pours from the can (I love saying that) with a two-finger thick, lightly browned, tan colored head. The beer is a an almost black color, with perhaps just a hint of amber to it. It is opaque when held up to the light, but did show a clear, dark chocolate color as I was pouring it. The aroma is nicely roasted with touches of tart, burnt grain, some dark chocolate notes, sharp espresso aromatics, a light roasted nut note, some light vanilla like notes and a dark sweetness that likely comes from both the coconut and the beer. Not overtly expressive of coconut aromatics, instead it melds into the normal dark grain notes. The aroma is quite nice though and definitely worth exploring for a bit.

This has a soft creamy mouthfeel to it with a bit of viscous heft, but somehow remains light and quaffable at the same time. Dark milk chocolate flavors combine with flavors of mocha ice cream and a finish that is reminiscent of a lightly bitter shot of espresso (though still a sweetened one). The finish has a deeply toasted, nutty note that lingers on in the mouth for quite some time. The chocolate flavors in this brew are quite pronounced and quite nice, this is really accented by the low hop character here (both flavor and hop bitterness are really not all that perceptible). As the beer warms up quite a bit, a very slight, burnt vegetal note becomes noticeable.

If given this beer blind I would never have guessed I was getting a coconut flavored brew, having said that, I can see how it influences the flavor profile, but one could do the same thing by manipulating standards beer ingredients (with perhaps some toasted oak note thrown in). None of that keeps this from being quite a tasty tipple though. I really like the mouthfeel of this beer; soft and creamy yet still quite quaffable.

3.95/5  rDev -1%

Poured from a 12 oz. can into a pint glass.

a - Pours a dark brown color with two inches of tan head. Light carbonation evident.

s - Smells of coffee, vanilla, roasted malts, and hints of coconut and chocolate. Very interesting.

t - Tastes of coffee, roasted malts, and coconut. Hints of chocolate in the aftertaste.

m - Medium body and high carbonation.

d - Overall an interesting porter. I liked it and thought it was a pretty standard porter with hints of coconut in the smell and taste, which was very appealing to me. If you like porters and coconuts check this out.

Served in a mug

Thanks to TMoney2591 for sharing this, my first Hawaiian beer

This pours a nice finger of tan foam over a good dark brown body. The aroma is most similar to the coffee and chocolate that you would expect from a porter but this, surprise, has a coconut aroma along with some roasted characters and caramel. The taste is actually rather nice. I'm gonna be honest I really don't like coconut as a flavor, but it works really well here. The flavors of coffee and chocolate are there but the nice toasted coconut are pleasant with all of it. There is a slight bitterness in the mouthfeel that isn't really helping as far as I'm concerned, but it is a good carbonation and consistency to help it go down really smooth. It's a very drinkable beer and a pleasant surprise for something I had my reservations about.

3.95/5  rDev -1%

A - completely black, very thin tan head

S - strong roasted and chocolate, subtle sweet coconut notes

T - big roasted coconut and malty sweetness upfront, followed by chocolate and a faint hoppy bitterness at the end

M - medium-light in body

O - the nuttiness of the roasted coconut played well with the chocolate flavor. I think its a creative beer that everyone should try.

3.95/5  rDev -1%

Poured from a 12oz. can into a standard pint glass. Beer was black in color, with a two-finger, light brown head. Moderate carbonation and light lacing around the glass.

Aroma was chocolate, coconuts, malt and vanilla.

Taste was roasted grains, coconut, vanilla and a hint of hops and nuts. Balanced and easy drinking.

Very tasty, drinkable and flavorful. Nice to finally see Maui distributing to Colorado.

3.95/5  rDev -1%

Served on Tap at Smoke and Barrel Adams Morgan DC.

A: Nice midnight black appearance with a nice light mocha froth head that melts away in the glass.

S: Nice coconut sweet bread, cherry malt, ripe strawberry.

T: Fruity for a porter. Crisp mocha malt with chocolate bitters. Light instringent coffee. Green coconut husk and blackberries.

M: Nice crisp light mouthfeel with a splendid slippery slip and slide cool throat mouth wash.

O: A let down for a sure, I had higher hopes for this one, But its a really nice light porter for a crisp spring evening.

Coconut Hiwa Porter from Maui Brewing Co.