Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Coconut Hiwa Porter | Maui Brewing Co.

Coconut Hiwa PorterCoconut Hiwa Porter

Hawaii, United States
mauibrewingco.com

Style: American Porter

Formerly CoCoNut Porter

A robust dark ale with hand-toasted coconut & hints of mocha.

Added by TurdFurgison on 03-12-2007

3.7

Ratings: 2,321 |  Reviews: 922
3.55/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured on draft at Flyinf Saucer Addison, Tx
Where's the coconut??

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A good porter overall, but I was surprised at how little of a coconut presence there is. I would say very close to non existent. For that matter, the cocoa/chocolate is weak too. It has a nice roasted malt flavor, but that's about it. I recommend The Brew Kettle's, Oskar Blues, or NoDa's if you are really trying to track down the best coconut porter

look: 5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Didn't smell coconut, only chocolate and coffee. Very smooth in taste, like the coffee I get from Papua New Geuina. Hint of chocolate but no coconut.

I'm only a noob in beer tasting so I'm giving you what I smell and taste.

The look is black with a nice head. For a coconut porter, I'd expect more coconut.

3.56/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.56/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours very dark brown, big fizzy light coffee colored head that slowly recedes to a small cover with minimal lacing. Head and covering disappear. The coconut oils definitely killed the head on this

Nose: coffee, dark chocolate, roasted malt, I'm looking for coconut but  if it's there, it's very faint.

Medium to light body, higher carbonation than most porters I've had. Slightly oily. A nice espresso-esq finish that goes down easy.

Taste: espresso, chocolate, maybe toasted coconut if I use my imagination. Very dry but pleasant.

Overall a good porter, it's relatively fresh, canned 6-27, and is an enjoyable beer. The problem is that the only effect from coconut I notice is the absence of head and lacing. A little disappointed.

3.57/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.57/5  rDev -9.6%

01/12/08- Had on tap at a local restaurant in Kauai.

Presentation- Via the tap into a 12oz glass.

Appearance- A light off brown colored pour, followed by a 1/2 inch head which leaves a bit of lace trails in it's wake.

Smell- A bit of heavy roasted malt, a bit of very dark chocolate and a minor touch of coconut.

Taste- All the flavors are there, but some of them aren't prevelant enough. The roasted malt really comes through the most and covers up the other flavors. Dark chocolate and coffee mix and mingle, while the coconut really is downplayed here.

Mouthfeel- One of the most highly carbonated porter I have ever had. Wayyyy too many bubbles.

Drinkability- Cut down the carbonation and mix the flavors a bit better and you have a winning beer. As is, just ok. Would have again though if in Hawaii as there really isn't much choice.

3.57/5  rDev -9.6%

Deep brown with foamy brown head with little retention and lacing. Chocolate aroma with the faintest hint of coconut. Chocolate with a touch or foasted malts with a light coconut finish. Silky smooth but a tacky/fuzzy mouthfeel that lingers.

This is a good porter but I couldn't seem to get much coconut out of it and I'm pretty sensitive to it. Most of what can be tasted is a nice subtle finish. However, it does leave a rather conflicting feel. It coats the roof of your mouth and leaves a coating that is fairly unpleasant, much like sucking on coconut. Certainly worth a try if nothing else because it's a good porter

3.57/5  rDev -9.6%

Got the chance to try this a couple weeks back. From notes:

Light brown with ruby highlights around the edges. Light tan colored head left minimal lacing. Had this amidst a few other porters- somewhat of a tasting I suppose.

The aroma was sweet coconut, but I think it smelt of coconut much more than it tasted like it. The body was roasty and smooth with a subtle slightly sweet coconut note- kind of thin. Overall a little too sweet for me, but it was really cool to try. A lot of my friends were going nuts over it.

look: 5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

L - Pitch black in the glass with ruby red highlights. Two fingers of almond-colored head which stuck around forever.

S - Dark roast coffee with a touch of coconut. Hersehy syrup taste on the back end

T - Toasted coconut, iced coffee, bitter dark chocolate and coffee grounds on the finish

F - Still slightly thin even at 6%, but not watery. Calm feel and bitter coffee stick to everything

O - Coconut was lacking, but still there enough to be noticed. A thin mouthfeel, but this is still a solid coconut dessert beer.

3.58/5  rDev -9.4%

Thanks to jtd1969 for finding this for me.

A - black with a large, dense cap of dark brown head that has good retention

S - big roasted malts, toasted coconut, faint coffee and chocolate

T - huge roasted malt character with toasted coconut coming through; underlying coffee notes; rather intensely bitter finish

M - medium to full bodied, well carbonated

This is a nice concept. The coconut works well with the roasted malt character. Unfortunately, it's more bitter than what I'd look for in a porter. I wouldn't turn this down in the future.

From 12oz can to Boulevard tasting glass on 5/7/11
Sampled at the 1st NoVA BA Tasting Extravaganza
*From notes

A: Nice dark and rich dark brown/black in color. Little head and faint lacing.

S: A bit smokey, with hints of coffee and malt.

T: Not getting a lot of coconut here. If I didn't know it was in there, it would've passed me by. It tastes like a really nice and charry canned Porter. Considering the ABV, I'm fairly pleased with it.

M: You can feel the forced carbonation big time, but all things considered it ain't bad, and packs a reasonable weight.

O: Maui Brewing's CoCoNut Porter was a nice way to start the night. It wasn't quite what I had expected and a bit of a letdown from the coconut department. I'd certainly drink it again if offered, though wouldn't put a lot of effort into search it out.

3.58/5  rDev -9.4%

thanks canjeeps for this sweet extra!

a - opened and filled my ccb snifter. creamy tan with a generous white head...talking like 3 fingers that hung out for the party. thick lacing that slid along the glass as a whole. very different for a porter.

s - coconut and vanilla chocolate. i happen to not be a fan of coconut, but this is as advertised.

t - again coconuts all day...covered in chocolate. not a fan of coconut, so this is not a beer for me, but if you like coconut, give it a shot.

m - good carbonation and medium bodied.

o - overall, this is a well made beer and tastes like coconut, just a shame i don't like coconut...fortunately my wife does and she loved the beer.

3.58/5  rDev -9.4%

Had it in Maui on tap at Monkey Pod.
Appearance is appealing. Deep brown, almost black tint even when held to the light. Light brown creamy head.
Aroma was a bit disappointing for me. I was really looking forward to this beer. Smells of coconut, chocolate, smoky aroma. However, was not aromatic enough. It had a great aroma, but it was too subtle.
Taste is also good. Slight coconut, stronger chocolates and coffee flavors. The problem I have with this beer is that the flavor falls off as soon as you swallow it. No lingering flavors like a porter should have. Even the mid taste flavors seem far too tame to me.
Mouth feel is as a porter should be. Full to medium bodied.
Overall, this beer did not impress me at all. It's not bad, however, it does not live up to the reputation it seems to have "earned" in my opinion. It a weak flavored porter that leaves something to be desired.

3.58/5  rDev -9.4%

You can't judge a beer by its container I suppose. Although a canned beer, the appearance as it pours is a pretty opaque brown with a nice tan head.

This Hawaiian import definitely has some coconut aroma, but it's not as overwhelming as I thought it would be. The aroma is there, but in taste it's almost only an aftertaste. It's smooth and very drinkable and isn't too overpowering in any particular facet. I recommend it, but as more of a tasty session beer than something more memorable.

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.58/5  rDev -9.4%

Can. Enjoyed this one compliments of an awesome Cali trader. Pours a deep brown color with a light tan head. Aroma is of dark sweet malts and coconut. Taste is as expected coconutty. Mouthfeel is lighter than I would have expected and wanted. Overall, a decent beer but Minneapolis Town Hall 3 Hour Tour Coconut Porter blows this away in terms of over the top coconut flavors.

3.58/5  rDev -9.4%

Poured from a can into a Cigar City snifter. Forms about a fingers worth of lightly tan head on top of a roasty dark brown body. A few patches of lacing are left behind.

Hint of smoked malt, chocolate and honey graham crackers on the nose. Possibly a touch of toasted coconut, but hard to say.

Somewhat chalky dark malts, graham cracker and a more noticeable toasted coconut presence. Pretty tasty. I'd like to see the coconut come out more, but I'm guessing that may be a bit tricky. Just a hint of dark fruit.

Mouthfeel is about average, but feels a bit thin and metallic on the finish. Carbonation adds kind of an odd burning sensation on the back part of the tongue, otherwise fine.

Drinkability is good. A pretty decent porter all around. It's nice to see the coconut come through a bit in the taste and makes the porter stand out a little bit. Probably not something I would seek out, but I wouldn't mind sipping on a few of these while lounging on a Hawaiian beach.

3.58/5  rDev -9.4%

Pours mahogany brown with cola highlights. Tan head is initially creamy, but quickly thins to a soapy sheen.

Aroma is powdered cocoa and coconut. Perhaps a touch of dark grain bitterness.

Taste is smokey dark grain and some dark fruit notes. Plenty of bitterness from dark chocolate and smokey dark grain that really lingers.

Mouthfeel is medium-full.

Overall a decent porter, mildly sweet with a lot of chocolate overtones. Worth a try.

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.58/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.58/5  rDev -9.4%

Thanks to Zapata for the trade.

Pours a deep brown with ruby highlights, completely opaque in the glass. A nice two finger khaki head rises afterwards. Smells roasted, almost sweet like milk though... Taste is a little too toasted and roasted for me. I've enjoyed plenty of RIS and other porters, but this one doesn't sit right with me. An interesting beer none the less.

3.59/5  rDev -9.1%

Can into pint glass
A – Very frothy 1 finger light brown head reduced to nothing as quickly as it built, no lacing, super thin crown edge on the nearly black brew 3
S – Sweet roasted malts, vanilla, chocolate and coconut dominate the nose, lesser coffee notes. Good smelling beer 4
T – Taste is nearly identical to the smell. Roasted malts and sweet vanilla and coconut with more coffee and less chocolate than the nose. Good but not to my liking as much as I had hoped 3.5
M – Lightness in body was a surprise to me, good drinkability, a bit thinner than I like for a porter, good carbonation 3.5
O – Coconut is present while not overbearing, an interesting and good porter that I am glad I tried. Not a beer I would ever buy again at the Denver $10/4 pack cans price. 3.5

Coconut Hiwa Porter from Maui Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 3.95 out of 5 with 2,321 ratings