Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Coconut Hiwa Porter | Maui Brewing Co.

YOUR RATING = None |
good
Read the review
Coconut Hiwa PorterCoconut Hiwa Porter

Maui Brewing Co.
Hawaii, United States | website

Style: American Porter

Formerly CoCoNut Porter

A robust dark ale with hand-toasted coconut & hints of mocha.

Added by TurdFurgison on 03-12-2007

Reviews: 879 | Ratings: 2,144
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz can poured in a pint glass. Picture on the front looks like a mug made out of a coconut and also shows a vat labelled 1814 that is cracked and spilling porter all over. They also have a big write up about why they chose cans for their product over bottles.

Black, opaque with chestnut highlights around the edges when held to the light. Light brown creamy head is 1/8 inch on the pour, but reduces to a thin ring around the edge.

Aroma is mainly roasted malts and toasted coconut. Some hints of spices in the background. Interesting, I can't say I've ever smelled a beer like this before.

Taste is like a standard porter, but with a big toasted coconut flavour throughout. Toasted coconut up front with roasted malts in the background. Aftertaste is a mild version of the same profile.

Thin-medium body with minimal carbonation. A little thin for what I'd expect from a porter, but in Maui, when the heat is on, I don't think I'd want to have a big heavy thick beer.

An interesting beer, but not one that I'd want to drink all the time. The coconut flavour is just too bold. I'd prefer it to be more of a background flavour instead.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Not much coconut in the taste...I understand that coconut is not an easy adjunct to get in the flavor profile but it's just not there. Not terrible but won't buy again.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz can into a Duvel tulip. Thanks to mnbears fan for this one, my first Hawaii beer and state tick #41.

A: A slow, straight pour into the upright glass results in a voluminous three-finger head of pillowy light-brown foam. Retention is strong, but it’s a bit light on the lace.

S: Hmm. It’s quite roasty – sharply so. Dark chocolate and ash are the most prominent aromas, although there’s definitely a hint of heavily toasted coconut as well. I was expecting something significantly sweeter, but this is certainly not bad at all.

T: Follows the nose. Coconut is present but subdued, while sharply roasty malts really carry the day. Bitter dark chocolate stands out in particular, with some dry hops bitterness complementing it on the finish. Tasty enough, but nothing to write home about.

M: A little thin, a little prickly, and not that great.

O: I’d like to rereview this one at some point in the future, as this can was nearly a year old and I have a suspicion that the coconut might have been much more of a player in a fresh can. As it was, this was a solid but unremarkable porter, and gained very little from its unique adjunct.

Cheers!

3.45/5  rDev -13.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Dark brown where only the brightest of lights pass. Good webby lace from a modest head.

I get the same metallic smell (iron) as I did from the Maui IPA. Distracting.

A bit of a gimmicky beer. I like the coconut, but the porter is a bit pedestrian. It starts with some toasted (chocolate) malts. The swallow and finish bring forth the coconut. It's nice but a simple twist.

3.45/5  rDev -13.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

355ml can into an oversized tulip. Paid £3.95 for a single can.

Pours an opaque, dark black body that remains unchanged when held to the light. A two-finger in height, mousse-like, light tan coloured head gradually reduces to a dense foamy cap and collar, leaving behind large rings of spotty, soapy lace.

The moderately roasty nose primarily consists of lightly charred dark malts and roasted coffee beans. Lesser amounts of dark chocolate and cocoa are noticeable underneath, with only hints of toasted coconut and vanilla becoming apparent towards the finish. Taste roughly follows suit. Upfront, dry, dark roasted malts and roasted coffee beans are sweetened by subtle notes of milk chocolate and hints of caramel malt. Traces of coconut and vanilla enter around the mid-palate, bringing a mildly nutty sweetness, before roast profiles quickly re-enter. In the mouth, a medium body and soft carbonation blend a reasonably smooth and crisp feel with excellent drinkability. On the end, lingering dark roast, plenty of acidic espresso coffee and bittersweet cocoa are outlasted by faint traces of residual toasted coconut and caramel sweetness.

Overall this is a good beer and a solid, well-crafted porter. It’s easy drinking, but still full of roast, chocolate and coffee flavours. Ultimately though, the coconut profiles are much less pronounced than expected. At £3.95 a can, I can’t see myself picking up another any time soon, I’d much rather have a standard non-coconut porter or the much better Oskar Blues offering Death by Coconut.

355ml can bought online from Beersofeurope.co.uk

Poured almost completely black... tan head poured fairly thick and foamy with a meringue like top.. this faded slowly to good one finger covering... some decent lacing clings to the glass throughout...

Aroma - Lots of good strong toasted bread malts mixed with strong biscuit notes... good roasted nuttiness, light vanilla, dark brown sugar / molasses sweetness, light fruits (blackcurrents, apples, prunes), earthy, some sooty traces, faint coconut...

Taste - Where is the coconut ?? I can just make out the slightest hint coming through the roasted malts but was expecting much more than this... some dark brown sugar / molasses sweetness, slightly metallic, sooty, dark druits, coffee..

Feel - Quite sharp and dry with a little creaminess underneath... medium bodied... fairly drinkable

Overall - A bit disappointed with this one... it's a pretty run of the mill porter with just the faintest trace of coconut...

12 ounce can bought in San Diego

A: Dark brown in color with a 1 finger tan head that has ok retention and a bit of lacing

S: The nose is very sweet and is of gummy bears with a hint of harsh coffee.

T: Well, if someone would have randomly handed me a pour of this beer and said “what’s in the flavor profile?” I would not have said coconut. With that being said, if I think about it long and hard and let the power of suggestion take over, I think I notice some coconut in the middle and finish. Mostly though it’s a fairly run of the mill, albeit slightly sweeter version of a roasty porter. Not much coffee or chocolate though, mostly toast, and a fair amount of vanilla.

M: Approriate carbonation for the style with a nice aftertaste and medium-body.

O: Glad to have tried this beer, but to me it’s more of a novelty item for the addition of the coconut than anything substantial and masterful. It kind of reminds me of a Short’s beer.

3.46/5  rDev -13.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

If you can find this on tap, it's definitely better. The coconut really comes through. In the can though, it's just like a better than average porter with a faint coconut finish. There's more coconut in the smell than the taste.

3.46/5  rDev -13.3%

Pours a dark cola brown with a decent two finger white head that disappears rapidly. Smells like cheap milk chocolate - like easter candy or crappy foiled gelt. A little bit of coffee backs it up. The first sip is pretty nice. Very toast and malty, with the aforementioned not-so-great milk chocolate (faintly comforting). A teensy bit of nutty, coffee tinged bitterness in the back. Not half shabby - and I pretty much hate coconut in all its forms (coconut milk doesn't count... mmm curry). Here it just adds a sweetness on the tail end that I don't really mind that much. The aftertaste isn't really my favorite, but hardly offensive - the aforementioned slight bitterness complements pretty well. Overall, the coconut is relatively muted. Mouthfeel is style appropriate - medium body and silky.

If you're into coconut, this'd be right up your alley. If you aren't, and even if you have a serious aversion, its still definitely worth a try. Solid porter, but I won't traveling to the islands for it.

A note on the cans - the look like minaturized Arizona pop cans. Thanks to bbothen for the bonus - even if the can design confused me for a sec.

3.46/5  rDev -13.3%

A - Awesome head. 2+ fingers of khaki foam that protrudes from my standard pint glass. It's pillow-like, and billowing. The body, of course, is standard porter. Opaque DARK brown. No lacing.

S - Usual porter affects but with a bit of petting-zoo. And not in the good kind of spontaneously fermented "horseblanket" sort of way. Chocolate malts, y'know. Nothing standout, and the petting zoo smell is a little off-putting.

T - Taste manages to round itself out a little bit as a brew. Definite well-water aspect, with an almost metallic finish. Coconut hardly noted on the finish. After giving time to warm a little more, it comes together in a "Hey, this is a porter" way.

M - Lighter, creamy, nice carbonation.

D - There's a few aspects about this beer that would deter me from buying/seeking it out again. It definitely has potential that isn't quite realized, while I think this could just be an off batch.

Notes: After all the buzz surrounding this beer, I must admit I'm a bit dissapointed. I expected a liquid Mounds bar and got little more than a Mounds bar that was floating in some well-water for a few days.

Worth a try for those that are curious.

3.48/5  rDev -12.8%

12oz can into tulip snifter.

The beer pours a very dark brown, near black with a frothy light brown head.

The aroma is of espresso and lightly roasted malts. Can't really pick up any coconut. Perhaps some light vanilla which may be the coconut?

The taste is again more espresso with really no coconut flavors that I can detect.

Has a good mouthfeel, medium body with active carb.

A decent porter, though I was hardly able to pick up any coconut which unfortunately makes this pretty overage overall.

3.48/5  rDev -12.8%

A: Deep, dark brown with a cream colored head that disappears a little too quickly.

S: Lots of roasted malts and coffee. Not so much coconut though. Hmmm...

T: Coffee and roasted malt with some bittersweet chocolate thrown in. I was expecting this one to taste sort of like a Mounds bar, but not so much. As it warms, there's a slight hint of coconut and milk chocolate, but the sweetness stays at a minimum. The mouthfeel was super thin.

3.48/5  rDev -12.8%

Thanks to ThirstyBird for sharing this one. 12oz. can served in my Gouden Carolus chalice. Poured two shades shy of black. Half inch off-white head recedes into a skim. Nose is big on roasted coffee, followed by toasted coconut. Taste follows nose; roasted character is in the forefront but the coconut clearly comes out immediately after. Also picked up a milky quality. Mouthfeel is thin, slightly watery and lightly effervescent. Decent drinkability and flavor for the abv. I'm not a huge coconut fan, but this is pretty tasty.

3.49/5  rDev -12.5%

Thanks to forgetfu for this one.

A - pours a very dark brown, with ruby highlights when held up to the light. Active carbonation flows in the glass but it doesn't seem to do much justice for the head as it fades quickly leaving a decent soapy lace at first, that really ended up as very thin patchy lacing about 4oz in.

S - not bad. Pretty robust. Chocolate and coffee hit the nose followed by a wave of booze and just a hint of metallic odor. Vanilla and coconut buried very deep in this one, but they're there.

T - all the tastes as mentioned as in the nose but with a somewhat astringent lactic kick that leaves an odd flavor lingering around. The closest I can attribute it to is bile....but it tastes nothing like it of course, just leaves your mouth with that notion. The initial taste is good but the aftertaste just isn't enjoyable to me. As it really warmed up a tiny bit of hazelnut made it's way to the finish.

M - for a porter, very good. Bordering on thick with very good carbonation despite the use of coconut.

O - I'm glad I got to try this beer, as I heard a lot of good things about it. While it wasn't near my favorite porter, it had some good things going for it. The aftertaste left me pretty upset though, and I just can't see searching it out again.

Glass - Nonic

A - A dark brown and muddy looking beer that produced a 1-2 finger head that dissipated like an adjunct Lager. You can hardly see through it, and it left no lacing on my glass.

S - Roasted malt aroma's with dark chocolate and sweet coconut notes that all kinda sorta remind me of an Almond Joy. I also get lots of nuttiness and toffee notes. Very sweet smelling with soft floral and herbal hop notes. I gotta say that the coconut comes out allot more than I would expect.

T - Hops are more pronounced here than in the smell. Upfront I get a battle of herbal/floral hop flavors and dark chocolate, toffee, and roasted nuts. Mid to finish I pick up soft coconut that's mildly sweet, then it finishes pretty dry with traces of a mash between a Mr. Goodbar and an Almond Joy. A good deal of hop bitterness going on for a Porter as well.

M - I'm not really liking the feel. It's about a chewy and thick as a stout with the crispness of a Pilsner. Medium-full bodied.

O - Overall I'm a little disappointing in the brew. I liked the flavor profile but it was a bit wish washed together. I also didn't like the feel of the beer, way too carbonated! I could have another but I wouldn't ever buy it again. Worth a try though.

look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Appearance was traditional of a porter, but a bit darker than some. Frothy head stuck around for a while into the first drink or two, the aroma was like a nutty porter overwhelmingly coconut! The excitement faded as the taste was overwhelmingly coconut, much less than the smell. I'm sure they did what could be done, but will not buy this one again.

3.5/5  rDev -12.3%

11/13/10- Had a can of this I shipped back from Orange County.
A: Black with dark brown hues, poured a cream film and collar.
S: Mild molasses and chocolate, with a very mild coconut on the nose.
T: Creamy, roasted with chocolate and a mild coconut. Nice but not very robust and the coconut is lacking from what I remember this on draft.
M: Creamy, mild carbonation.
D: Pretty good.

3.5/5  rDev -12.3%

Nice deep brown color. Small tan head. Roasted malt and dark chocolate aroma. Sharp and acrid flavor upfront-almost a burnt malt and bakers chocolate flavor. Somewhat metallic though I know that isnt from the can. Grainy tasting. Perhaps a whisper of coconut but not what I was expecting. Ok mouthfeel. A decent enough porter but really lacks what it takes to be very good in my book. Could use more coconut.

3.5/5  rDev -12.3%

A- Deep brown with a tan head.
S- Roasty malt small.
T- Starts with the roasted malt flavor and ends with a coffee taste.
MO- Creamy feel. Worth trying if you get to the islands. Although this was my favorite brewery in Hawaii not my my favorite beer.

3.5/5  rDev -12.3%

Gift from the other Matt, thanks! Poured into a Russian River tion glass.

Beer is black with a sort of lazy head that forms a monolayer of bubbles that slowly falls away, not much lacing, carbonation appears low.

Aroma is roasty, mildly sweet, pretty nice, no coconut yet.

I waited to serve this beer until it was almost room temperature, but I didn't get much coconut, some in the late portions of the palate but I can't say for sure that if I didn't know that there was coconut in there that I would have guessed so. The beer is a little thin and mildly sweet with some decent bitterness from the roast in the back. Overall it is a decent porter and I'd have it again. I wish the coconut were more obvious.

3.5/5  rDev -12.3%

(Draft, Social List, Long Beach, CA 2/22/15) Haven't had many porters in quite some time and this one has me interested in trying more. Very smooth and easy drinking.

3.5/5  rDev -12.3%

12 oz can poured into a snifter.

A - Deep dark brown with a small coffee colored head that has fine tiny bubbles. Do Ho reference for a beer brewed in Hawaii. That's right.

S - Smells of roasted coffee & malt. Sweetness from the coconut, although it's very faint. Might not pinpoint the smell if I didn't know what it was. I wanted more.

T - Tastes of roasted coffee, malt, small hop bite and a mild sweetness from the coconut.

M - Medium bodied & carbonated.

D - Easy drinking. Not heavy at all.

This is a fine porter. I wanted more coconut aroma & taste though. The $8.99 per 4 pack is a bit of a deterent, but I'll gladly buy this again.

3.5/5  rDev -12.3%

(from notes taken early august 2008)

freebie my brother earned in a trade with brewerb

no date found on the can. poured into shaped pint glass.

almost opaque brown/black. tan head fades to wisps. minimal lacing.

aroma starts with roasted malt and earthy tones, with some esters, but is pretty phenolic. the coconut only really comes through in traces amongst the esters.

some otherwise smooth, sweet malts are a bit overpowered by a boozy and phenolic quality. toasted coconut is there, but only barely (and only if you look for it), as a side player. the mild bitterness helps to offset the the booziness.

ever so slightly thin, but smooth. moderate carbonation.

meh...

3.52/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from can into pint glass; dark mahogany color with nice carbonation and brown toffee head. Toasted malts, hint of coconut, coffee and chocolate to the nose. Medium body, easy on the palate. Coconut is subdued by coffee and chocolate but it's a decent brew! Certainly not a Funky Budda Last Snow but I'd have another.

3.52/5  rDev -11.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

I decided to make some homemade ice cream infused with some Youngs Double Chocolate Stout, but my local grocery store didn't carry it. I didn't really feel like making another trip this particular day, so I decided to try the Maui Brewing CoCoNut Porter instead. I got the 4 packer home and immediately pulled one off of the black plastic holder. The thing had a death grip on the beer and I had to really muscle it off. I guess that move shook the can too much because when I pulled the tap I lost a good 2 oz. of the beer from spew.

That brings me to the appearance. The foam was way up, obviously, but then disappeared to almost nothing very quickly. I don't know if that's because it exploded and thus ruined the carbonation, but I was shocked at how poorly it held the head.

Dispite the head the color of the beer is beautiful. It's a deep deep brown and when it holds to the light you almost see a marroonish color coming through. Only slightly foggy, this is a good looking porter, despite the disappointing head.

The smell is really nice. I smell coffee roast, very roasty. I'm also getting chocolates and some a little sweetness (from the Coconut?)

Lots of coffee roastedness in the taste. Good aftertaste that doesn't overpower, I also gets some hops up front, which I like. Hops in Porters and Stouts often get overpowered by the malts and I like that it's there.

That pre-beer shake up and subsequent blow up HAD to have hurt the carbonation because it's evident in the mouthfeel. I'll have to assume that there's supposed to be more carbonation in this. Decent mouthfeel, my first reaction is that it's a little thin. Maybe I'm just saying that because of the lack of carbonation. I'm also having to remember that I'm more accustomed to stouts which are thicker. Still, I can't help but want a little more.

Overall, it's a good beer. Not my fav but I think it will do the job. I'll definitely have to try it again. This time I'll let it sit for a few minutes if I happen to yank it violently from it's vice grip holder.

Coconut Hiwa Porter from Maui Brewing Co.