Bikini Blonde Lager | Maui Brewing Co.

good
good
Read the review
Bikini Blonde LagerBikini Blonde Lager

Maui Brewing Co.
Hawaii, United States | website

Style: Munich Helles Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 07-07-2008

Reviews: 173 | Ratings: 516
2.4/5  rDev -34.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

12 fl oz /355 ml aluminum can with a comfortably grippable top served into a conical Guinness pint glass in me gaff in low altitude Los Angeles, California. Reviewed live. Expectations are below average given the style.

Served straight from the refrigerator. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

Not paired with food. Consumed on a full stomach.

A: Pours a one finger white colour head without hardly any cream, of poor thickness, and average retention. Body colour is a predictable clear light copper. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. A mundane appearance; somewhat dull.

Sm: Clean malts, stale orange peel, rice, stale barley, and hints of creamed wheat. A mild strength aroma, and not a particularly appealing one.

T: Clean malts, rice, stale orange peel, stale cream, hints of wheat, and stale barley. Light hopping contributes light vague citrus. A poorly constructed simple brew with some redeeming citrus character. Badly balanced and built. Not at all complex or subtle. No yeast or alcohol comes through. Boring and bland.

Mf: Smooth and wet, with some tingly crystal malt coarseness. Adequately carbonated. Too thick for the lack of body and flavour.

Dr: Drinkable but bleh. A very underwhelming offering from Maui brewing. Certainly the worst brew from them I've yet tried. I won't be getting this again. It hides its mere average ABV pretty well, but that's not much of an accomplishment.

D+

2.64/5  rDev -27.9%

From Hawaii. So: long distance for distribution, balanced by environmentally-friendly recyclable packaging? I’m not sure the balance is worth it in this case

This looks like a yellow fizzy beer. Very foamy. Low, barely detectable aroma and not a whole lot of flavor either. There is a honey-sweet taste to it, and a sweet finish, but not a whole lot else going on here. Wasn’t horrible but not terribly exciting. I certainly don’t picture myself sitting on a warm, sunny beach and wanting to drink one of these.

2.65/5  rDev -27.6%

12oz can poured into a little hotel glass

Pours bright yellow with a little beige head. Smells a little of straw and a little of lemon.

Taste is pretty boring, watery, slightly sour, more of the lemon than the straw.

Mouthfeel is light and effervescent. Drinkable, but not exciting.

2.74/5  rDev -25.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz. can, listed as 4.5%,

A: Pours a pale yellow, a little hazy, nice head and lacing.

S: Really not much at all, light malt and honey.

T: Malt is lightly bready with some sourdough and honey. Hops are earthy and give some soil notes which is a turnoff.

M: Nice mouthfeel, not watery, but light and easily drinkable.

D: A fair beer from Maui, not as good as the major German producers, I thought it was too hoppy for the style.

2.76/5  rDev -24.6%

A - Maize transparent yellow with a fat 2.5 finger head
S - Very very slight hint of noble hops nothing really impressive at all
T - Sweet pale malts without any hint of bittering hops at all
M - very smooth up front, but more carbonated in the middle with a slight milky feel at the back
D - Very Drinkable. I could picture this beer being the gateway for those who are used to BMC pale lagers.

2.79/5  rDev -23.8%

this is nothing special, the novalty of being from the islands wares off fast, the can is cool though. this is week in abv, color and taste. this tastes of corn and no hpo presents at all, i am glad that i got to try this but one is good enough for me

2.81/5  rDev -23.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

On draught into a tall glass. Yellow gold colour and clear behind the thick condensation. The one finger, loose head reduced to a 3mm cap within a minute despite the high carbonation.

Smell is American adjunct.

Taste is light. Like a euro style lager without any metallic off-notes and only a hint of grain.

Feel is gassy, medium to light body, with a hint of bitterness.

I get no sense this is a helles. There isn't that sharp, clean taste and body that I'd expect. Nor is it a blonde ale. This is a reasonable but unexceptional lager.

2.85/5  rDev -22.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Type: 12-oz. can
Glass: Clear hotel snifter glass
From: Lawson Station Sheraton Waikiki in Honolulu, Hawaii
Price: $2.09
Purchased: Dec. 19, 2015
Consumed: Dec. 19, 2015
Misc.: Canned on Oct. 14, 2015

Poured a golden, yellow, clear color with three fingers of grayish fizzy head. A few bubble streams coming up from the bottom of the glass. Below average spotty lacing on the sides of the glass. Below average retention on the top all the way down. (Sight - 3.75)

Smelled sourdough bread, honey, corn, buttery malts and sour cheese. (Smell - 2.50)

Taste followed the nose, so still not good. Got sourdough bread, honey, corn, hay, cereal, doughy notes and cheese. (Taste - 3.00)

Light body. Thin-to-oily texture. Soft carbonation. Abrupt, buttery finish. (Feel - 2.75)

I did not like this beer and I’m glad I only got one instead of a 6-pack. (Overall - 2.75)

2.85 | 67 | C

2.91/5  rDev -20.5%

12oz, 9/7/11 (almost a year old)
Sam Adams perfect pint

A: Pours a crystal clear BMC yellow color. Still good carbonation. Finger of fluffy white head. Lacing is there.

S: Obviously the age might have knocked this down a bit. The hops have really died out. Getting lots of bready malt character.

T: Tip of the tongue, maybe a touch of hop bite still. It's very faint. Then its all bready and biscuity malt flavor. It's kind of blah at this point. Finish is clean and crisp and flat.

M: Light bodied. Bland and flat.

O: C+

2.94/5  rDev -19.7%

A 12oz. can received as a generous offering from my drinkin' buddy ~ Mr. Mustachio.

Served Ice Cold

A full on gurguling pour into an Imperial pint.

A ~ Pale, cloudy banana colored with a towering white crown that rose a 1/2" above the glass rim & held firm. Towers of bubbles rise to reduce the head to a foamy skim. Webbed lacing dissolved as the beer warmed to the glass.

S ~ The aroma was a little soapy with sour citrus notes, fresh cut green flowers & corn pops.

T ~ There are those (sweet) corn pops again?? Pasty, bready grains. Lemon pith & grassy, floral notes. A little pepper on the finish.
Washed out, floral after taste was a little disappointing.

M ~ Medium bodied with a cleansing, crisp carbonation level. There's a ghostly hop presence that lends itself to a moderately bitter finish. Pepper in the throat & on the tongue.

D ~ As a regional scarcity I was glad to have the opportunity to try this beer. I'm still intrigued with the whole craft canned beer thing AND, I'm thinkin' this is better when it's served ice cold. By the time I pondered the qualities & drafted the review I was looking forward to moving on to something else. Not the worst swill I ever swallowed, but probably not something I'd seek out again.

Is this what the Sailors REALLY come to shore for? I doubt it.

2.95/5  rDev -19.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

Can (2012)

Texas Liquor
Carlsbad, CA

Clear golden with a moderately sized off-white head. Leaves dots of lace down the glass. Appropriate.

Toasted, biscuit, sweet malt, some grass, and mild citrus combine for a pleasant, though unexciting, aroma.

The flavor falls short of the aroma, with the usual bready malt and slight sweetness and grass combining, though unfortunately, there's a very off butter like taste, especially as the beer warms.

Medium bodied with high carbonation.

Good enough at cold temperatures, but this fails considerably more upon warming. I don't need to revisit this one.

2.95/5  rDev -19.4%

I didn’t have this when I was in Hawaii, but we did have the CoCoNut Porter. That beer, which is one of the best porters on the planet, is still one of my favorites. I know Sheryl LOVES that beer. Maybe it was because it was one of the first beers we had on the island… but it still stacks up to anything on the market today. I haven’t had this offering. I wasn’t impressed with their IPA, so I hope their Helles lager is better. I find it interesting that they only can. At the same time, a lot of breweries are going to cans. It’s cheaper, faster, and the beer tends to taste better. We shall see with the Bikini Blonde Lager. Bottoms up, people!

In the Glass: It is pretty boring in the glass. It is light, gold, and looks like a regular domestic beer. I know it’s not… and while it is still made in the United States, is not considered a domestic beer. But it looks pretty boring in the glass. It looks like something I would typically chug.

Nose: It has a typical blonde/light lager aroma to it. Nothing to write home about, but something semi-sweet that makes me want to see what this beer tastes like. I like the design on the can, too. I mean… it’s called Bikini Blonde Lager. There is a bikini blonde on the can. It’s only fitting!

Flavor: The flavor is pretty basic. It’s not overwhelming, and with such a low ABV, is totally something I could see pounding during a football game or on the golf course. I can see why people on the island like this beer. It’s a good, easy drinking beer to have while outside, on the beach, in the hot summer nights.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is thick, somewhat creamy, and provides you with the type of mouthfeel you expect from a craft beer. Having had their porter, this doesn’t even come close. So I might be a little biased. But this is still a solid beer for someone that doesn’t already drink craft beer, or someone that isn’t into thick, dark beers.

Aftertaste: There isn’t much of an aftertaste. What is there is a lingering dryness that keeps me going back for more. Imagine chugging a pint of Coors Light. That aftertaste… only a little bit sweeter and somewhat dry. Again, nothing to write home about.

This beer isn’t something I would order on a regular basis. I also don’t live in Hawaii. I wonder what the locals think of this beer… I am sure it’s popular with the surfer dudes! I like it, but it’s not great. Not their best offering, but something I am glad I got the chance to try.

Bikini Blonde Lager – “The can says: “Cans eliminate light damage and recede the risk of oxidation, keeping that craft brew fresher than in bottles!

“Cans are lighter, chill quicker, and can be enjoyed on beaches and in sensitive environments. Aluminum is the most recycled and more eco-friendly material.

“Bikini Blonde is a fresh handcrafted Helles lager brewed with the finest German hops and barley, not skimpy on flavor… bold, smooth, and refreshing.”

3.02/5  rDev -17.5%

Hey, this beer is great. Heres the deal, this really doesn't smell good I cant place the smell, but I just dont like it. BUT this beer tastes Fantastic. I'm shocked, but man, this is a great tasting beer, one smell and I was ready to set it down, but I love it now. The mouthfeel is sort of creamy and thick, but the finish it bubbly and whisks the thickness away, leaving my mouth dry....craving more! I do recommend this brew.

I had to edit my review and knock the drinkability down to 1.0, as I will never drink it again. So after the first night of drinking it, I woke up the next morning with a headache and tight muscles. I did not blame this on the beer, and thought it was totally unrelated. Then I talked with my friend who had experienced the same exact thing. I still didnt really put it together. But then I had it again, and sure enough a headache set in, shortly after just one beer. AGAIN, I gave the beer the benefit of the doubt. So I finished off my six pack the next night with the final two beers. Headache and back ache AGAIN. I have no other choice now but to come to the conclusion that they have put Something in this brew that is causing this.

3.03/5  rDev -17.2%

I had this beer on tap at the brewery while I was on vacation there. As a disclaimer, I should mention that I'm not a huge fan of light beers. This beer was straw colored. It has a light hop aroma with not much else present. The hop flavor is pretty good, and is the strongest flavor without being too strong. It is light bodied and I would consider it to have medium drinkability.

3.06/5  rDev -16.4%

I was feeling CANtankerous during my visit to San Diego, so I spent some time (and money) seeking out CANs. I know that my reviews of Maui beers are in last year's notebooks, but they are being transcribed and this was the here and now.

A finger's worth of rocky, bone-whiote head with low retention. Color was a pale lemon-yellow with NE-quality clarity. Nose was pretty light and generic, more akin to a lot of the substandard CANned beers thst I have been drinking lately. Mouthfeel was light-to-medium, not unheard of, but not terribly compelling, either. The taste was very light and ephemeral. The same way with the finish. In a blind taste test with any corporate made Light (Lite) beer, I might be hard-pressed to tell the difference. My apologies, but when I can get so many really well-made lagers in PA, I find it difficult to pay for a so-so one from our 50th state and at the price that it takes to have it brought to the mainland. Mahalo all the same.

Beach: Sure, as long as I am vacationing in Hawaii. Don't pay premium prices to haul it to a mainland beach. My .02

3.1/5  rDev -15.3%

This was delivered to me by a dear friend who just returned from a terrific visit to Kauai. It pours a bright, translucent yellow, with a one-inch foamy head that dissipated very soon into a lean surface covering. Smells of citrus and light malts are certainly noticeable with a good sniff. Also, a nice floral presence is discernible. The aroma is delightful and seems to predict a particular taste. The flavor is light, with a bit of sweet malts on the front, followed by a dry and biscuity finish. Hops aren't on top here; there is an emphasis on balance with this one. Not much of a lingering aftertaste. Easy to drink, and best served cold.

3.16/5  rDev -13.7%

Big thanks to Hopdog for the can!
Pours cloudy yellow and opaque with a huge lasting head. Smell is yeasty, light malt, and lemon. Taste is smooth and creamy despite the appearance of high carbonation, almost wheaty with a hint of lemon. Musty, yet clean. Interesting and definitely different than the average pale lager.

3.17/5  rDev -13.4%

A - Very light and clear, not much head disappears fast some sudsy lace left behind.

S - Nice malt profile, pretty simple and straight forward.

T - Flavor is similar to a macro lager, but better. Deeper malt and nice bitter finish.

M - Medium body with a good balance.

D - Definitely a good session beer.

Canned 07JUL11
Can indicates 5.1% ABV

A: golden raisins with near excellent clarity under a solid sheet of white foam trailed with fleeting sheets of lace.
S: Sweet grain, corn, some mineral tones. Decent and faint.
T: Nice sweet flavor is simple and soft with near floral qualities. Perfect for hot weather or as a quick session beer.
M: A bit heavy for the style with lower carb creating a velveteen experience. Empty finish. I like this aspect fairly well.
O: Good tasting beer. Although not a standout, definitely worth a try, and likely something I would drink over and over in a bar.

3.18/5  rDev -13.1%

Appearance: Clear gold. Head is bright white and leaves some spotty hints of lacing on the top of the beer. Carbonation is lively and effervescent.

Smell: Straw, grass, and granny smith apples. Bright and lemony. Hints of wheat and other fruit, but I can't get over the apple. Pale malts and the faintest dusting of citrus. Mildly floral.

Taste: Wheat tang and crisp apple flesh. Grassy and pale malts in abundance. Fruity and floral. Lots of almost earthy biscuity maltiness going on. A touch of citrus rind on the back. Straw and grass.

Mouthfeel: Bright, crisp, and a big carbonation. Light body. Finishes very clean.

Overall: Easy drinking and enough flavor to be interesting. Not outstanding, but manages to never fall flat on its face. Carbonation is its downfall in the end.

3.18/5  rDev -13.1%

Can. Pours a cloudy yellow with a thick white head. Aroma is fairly nondescript, just some wheat malt. Flavor of sweet wheat malt, slight bitter hops in the finish. Fairly carbonated with a spritzy mouthfeel. Not bad really. Simple and easy to drink.
6/4/6/3/14 (3.3/5)

3.2/5  rDev -12.6%

Slightly chill hazed sunny yellow colored beer with a decent white head.

Smell is grassy with a little toasted grain aroma. Herbal hops with a faintly spicy edge, really more herbal though.

Taste starts out sweet for a lager with a good grassy Nobel hop flavor, low level of bitterness. Faint vanilla flavor for some reason.

Mouthfeel is OK.

Drinkability is completely subject to how much you like sweet lagers; I personally don't think this is all that great.

3.23/5  rDev -11.7%

What is there to say...perfectly named beer. Bikini...I love bikinis, blonde....I do enjoy a blond. (especially in a bikini). Larger...yes I do love me a larger....

Poured out of a can which I might claim to be my favorite can I have seen in some time.
The beer is golden with about 50% visibility through it. Slight haze but I wouldn't call this beer foggy.

Taste good with nice strong German flavor. Not what I expected but I enjoyed it. There is a hint of unfiltered flavor to it but I don't think this is an unfiltered beer.

It has a full flavor on the mouthful that tingled in the back of the mouth. I wished the day was 85 degrees out and I could sit on my back patio to enjoy rather then the 45 degrees it was here in Boise.

3.24/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Not a bad beer, awesome color and decent head. There is just the right amount of balance between the bitter and sweet that this beer works. The sweetness seems to be like high fructose corn syrup, maybe I am wrong. It has decent carbonation and drinks well. Got a touch ore than I expected in this one !!@

3.25/5  rDev -11.2%

Thanks to Kalei for this one.

A- Pours a light banana yellow with just a slight haze to it. Minimal head that doesn't last very long and leaves no lacing.

S- Pretty typical crystal malts and a little bit of sweetness. There is also some a little coconut and maybe some faint hops.

T- A little more going for it than your common Helles. Some malts and hops but a good sweetness like coconut. There is also something else going on with this beer. The aftertaste is like a butterfinger.

M- A little heavier than expected. Still, decent carbonation and a fair bite from it on the back of the throat.

D- Just an interesting take on a traditional style. Not great but not too bad. Like a few others from Maui, I had my fair share of these while in Waikiki.

Bikini Blonde Lager from Maui Brewing Co.