Mana Wheat | Maui Brewing Co.

Mana WheatMana Wheat

Maui Brewing Co.
Hawaii, United States

Style: American Pale Wheat Ale

Added by indiapaleale on 08-02-2010

Reviews: 139 | Ratings: 422
3.5/5  rDev -0.6%

Poured into my Kellerweis weisen glass.

Golden poppy, slightly hazy and topped with a one-inch, mocha-colored head that pops away quickly, leaving a silky blanket laying atop. Some soft lace on the sides.

Smooth, fruity nose. Banana, pineapple, hints of pear and clove. Soft and sweet.

Fruit permeates the flavor at the front, with pineapple, banana and pear again. The swallow is surprisingly drying, displaying biscuity malt through the finish.

A strange mouthfeel, smooth and creamy yet a bit thin. Carbonation is extremely low, adding to the velvety texture.

The pineapples, applied with a deft touch, are refreshing and subtly sweet. Overall, it’s not bad. A decent beer for the pool or golf course.

3.02/5  rDev -14.2%

Appearance - Medium golden beer with an exploding creamy head. A hazey glow appears middle of the glass. The head shrinks to about a 1/2 inch.
Smell - Big time pineapple and general sweetness.
Taste - Refreshing pineapple flavors burst at the beginning flowed by an assortive but by no means over barring hop presnse that leads to a clean yet fruity finish led by hints of banana notes. There is a slight stale, fermented fruit taste present.
Mouthfeel - Feels like juice when you're drinking it. I wish the carbonation stayed with the beer longer. Could use more bite but would make a great summer time pool beer.

3.62/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a can into a standard pint glass.

Pours a cloudy orangish amber with a small layer of off white head that fades to a ring around the glass.

Smell: A mild sweetness from the malt with a hint of tropical fruit.

Taste: Light and crisp, pretty refreshing. Some pineapple, but not way too much. Not much sweetness to speak of.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with tingly carbonation and a very dry finish.

Overall: Nice and refreshing, I enjoyed the use of pineapple. I wouldn't call it great, but I would have another.

3.5/5  rDev -0.6%

A-It looks like a hefe. Nice pale gold and hazy. Lots of lacing.
S- This has the hefe banana mixed a with a pineapple smell. Very tropical.
T- The banana starts the taste with the pineapple following. The pineapples starts out good but leaves a funky aftertaste.
MO- I know this is considered an American wheat ale and as a hefe lover I consider them when tasting the American versions as well. Saying that this one is just average. I do appreciate the use of the local fruits.

3.45/5  rDev -2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Hazy orange amber with a big foamy white head. Wheat aroma and a bit of citrus. Wheat, clove and a bit of banana with light citrus sweetness. Flavor drops out near the finish, taken over by a blandness to a clean finish. Sharp but full bodied chewy feel.

For an ale brewed with pineapple juice it’s not overly sweet or too much pineapple flavor. It’s very subtle if noticeable at all. It’s a bit too thick to be refreshing and the wheat eventually envelops the taste completely.

3.25/5  rDev -7.7%

Poured from 12oz can into a pint glass. Beer foamed up immediately upon opening -- not sure if that is a bad sign or not.

Appearance: murky, hazy straw-colored body with about half a glass of pillowy ivory foam. Not bad, but the foam is pretty inconvenient.

Smell: nice wheaty aroma without much character, plus the unmistakable smell of pineapple. This was an interesting choice on their part -- perhaps one could make a black & tan with this and their coconut porter for some kind of beer-based piña colada?

Taste: despite the interesting aroma, the flavor is blander than I expected. A grainy wheat and malt flavor is backed up only by a little bit of pineapple, and that pineapple isn't the sweet and delicious foretaste but the bitter, rind-ey aftertaste. Not horrible but I feel like it could be a whole lot better.

Mouthfeel: light-medium body with a decent level of carbonation (even after all that foam-creating outgassing). This beer is pretty creamy for the style; I like it.

Overall: I don't feel like I need to seek this beer out again. I admire the ambition of the brewer (Pineapple wheat ale! Seriously!), but to me this is more of a novelty beverage.

3.18/5  rDev -9.7%

Pours an almost murky orange yellow color. Decent white head with pretty good retention. Strong banana aroma with some spiciness and a bit of citrus aroma. Banana aroma reminds me of dried banana chips. The pineapple flavor is relegated to the background, this is not an over the top fruity beer, which I appreciate, but actually I would like to see a bit more of the pineapple in this one. The banana flavor actually takes first billing, which is a bit surprising.

2.32/5  rDev -34.1%

Pours a nice hazy orange with a big, light white head.

Smells of astringent hops, slight metallic smell (from the water profile), a little bit of fruit comes to in at the end.

Tastes slightly sweet with some subtle fruit flavor. Not a lot going on in the taste. In fact, it's a bit boozy up front, which given the alcohol is odd.

The mouthfeel is OK. It is watery, which could make for a good summer beer had the flavor had more going on.

Hmmm, there just isn't much going on in this beer, and the up-front smell and flavor is not pleasant.

3.35/5  rDev -4.8%

Appearance- Pours a nice hazy golden color your would expect from an american wheat. A pinky worth of head that goes away and leaves thin lacing.

Smell- Yeasty, bready with a little pineapple behind it.

Taste/ Mouthfeel- Bready with a pineapple finish. Not real sweet which is good. I feel its a well balanced beer.

Overall- I really wanted to love this one. I have a weird obsession with all things pineapple. It just didnt follow threw with as much pineapple as I would like to see. It really is a good brew, with great drinkability on a hot day. It just underwelmed me as just another good wheat.

3.65/5  rDev +3.7%

a: cloudy orange, leaning towards a light, bright amber color.. fluffy 2 finger head.. settles quickly..

s: yeast esters upfront..banana & clove.. slight graininess.. pineapple is slightly present..

t: again the yeast characters are upfront..fruity esters with a slight phenolic taste on tongue.. then you get the bit of banana & clove.. finish is slightly dry with a lingering clove bitterness.. pineapple isnt as present as i thought.. its there alright, just somewhat subtle.. tasty nonetheless.

mf: light-medium bodied with spot on carbonation..

o: a decent brew, especially for summer.. went down too easy!

3.85/5  rDev +9.4%

Out of a can at Freshcraft in Denver. Poured into a pint glass.

Cloudy yellow not unlike pineapple juice. The power of suggestion? Perhaps.

Soft grains, wheat, and canned pineapple juice.

Tastes just like it smells. However, I like it. It's a slightly phony tasting hybrid "wheat" beer that just hit the spot at the time. I slammed it and I enjoyed it.

12oz can into a snifter

A: Pours a cloudy orange with a nice white head that fades to a ring and leaves some good lacing on the glass.

S: The nose is way more than I expected. It's citrusy yet floral like a perfume. I get big notes of corriander, jasmine, and other flowers along with the pineapple citrus smells. Very interesting aromas.

T: The taste is much like the aroma. I detect jasmine, corriander, pineapple, and sweet bready malts. I was a bit overwhelmed at first but as I drank it I could pick out the flavors and enjoy each for what they bring to the final product.

M: The feel is a strong medium body with almost the perfect amount of carbonation.

O: This is not a typical wheat beer and it's definitely something I wouldn't grab on a normal basis however it's a very nice change of pace. The flavors and aromas are big and bold although I prefer Lil Sumpin Sumpin over this in the style.

I plan to enjoy the rest of the sixer by the pool during a 4th of July party and can't think of much else that would suffice.

2.88/5  rDev -18.2%

Poured from a can into a straight-side pilsner glass.

A - Pours a hazy tan/burnt-orange gold. 8-10 streams of carbonation bubbles and a light golden cream-colored almost-foamy head of one finger that stuck around. Quite a bit of lace.

S - Pineapple right off the bat, but subdued like you'd find in a trail mix, not like a fresh wedge. Followed by a wheaty/grassy note and evidence of malt.

T - Immediate candied pineapple flavor which dominates most of the way through, not bright and tangy, but sweet and lackluster. A bit of wheaty flavor to finish, and the flavor of aluminum can through the whole experience.

M - Light-medium body, medium carbonation, but that tinny/twangy feeling I used to get when drinking pineapple juice right out of the Dole can.

D - It's moderately crisp, and a good sweet niche beer. I'm very glad I tried it, but I probably won't be trying this out of a can again. My curiosity was satisfied, but I was disappointed.

I wonder how different it would be on draught at the brewpub, with a plate of beer-fried brie in front of me...

2.45/5  rDev -30.4%

Pours out a thickly hazed golden color liquid. Some mildly white head. Seems cloudier and thicker-looking than most wheats. Not a great look. Smell is heavy on sweet citrus pineapple, one dimensional and almost no wheat malt to be found. Overpowered by the strength of the pineapple juice. Taste, too, is overwhelmed by the initial burst of pineapple juice. Almost all other wheat beer traits are lost underneath the overwhelming citusy, punch-like taste. If they were trying to make a sweet beer, it's not sweet enough. If they were trying to make a balanced wheat beer, it's too sweet. This beer just can't find it's center. Finishes with a mildly cloying sweet but watery finish. A little dry on the palette. Other than that, all I can taste is pineapple juice. No soft wheat malt, not hops whatsoever, which might have complimented the citrus nature of this beer well. Mouthfeel is fairly well bodied and structured.

Overall, this beer needs to be taken back to the drawing board. A good idea that just doesn't pan out.

3.33/5  rDev -5.4%

Poured into a pint glass from a 12 oz. can brewed on the Valley Isle of Maui. Pours a light golden in color with an initially fizzy head that offers good retention and lace nonetheless. Carbonation is active and swirling as the tornado seems to rip soil up into its vortex until things balance out in a minute or so.

Aroma offers an underlying base of wheat along with some candied pineapple, almost reminiscent of a subdued pina colada as the pineapple melds with the wheat. The odd blend offers a touch of Belgian character in a way, though not really.

Pineapple jumps to the forefront in the taste department, most notably on the finish. Feel is pleasant and slightly sweet yet nondescript. An interesting brew and the pineapple influence is significant enough to toss this into the
Fruit beer category.

3.85/5  rDev +9.4%

12oz can into a Kloster Andechs weizen glass.

Pours well, with a cloudy, goldenrod-peach body that's rife with carbonation and sporting a well-retained cap of eggshell foam. Aroma is very grassy, with lots of wheat playing a supporting role, but the big draw for Mana Wheat is the pineapple notes. Lots of citrusy pineapple sweetness pairs with scents of pear and, oddly enough, cranberry.

Each sip is smooth and slightly sweet with a husky mineral note in the finish. The wheat is mellow, which allows the sweet & tart acidity of the pineapple to flash across the palate mid-sip. Mouthfeel is superb: creamy-smooth with just the right amount of carbonation. The thin body is amazingly drinkable on a hot Texas day without feeling overly watery. Overall, a tasty wheat from Maui Brewing Company...definitely glad I have another five cans!

4.15/5  rDev +17.9%

Poured into a pint glass slightly washed to prevent head formation but this beer had so much malt and yeast I epically failed. With the immediate crack of the can you get a wiff of pineapple. Very nice. The smell up close is pineapple and a hint of grain. Really good smell. I really like pineapple so I was excited for the taste. The taste is pineapple and more pineapple with a finish of a high end wheat beer. I was really surprised with this beer. I was thinking of a wheat beer with a hint of pineapple but this was the opposite. For 2 bucks this was an amazing experience. The mouthfeel was not bad. It was not too dry and the flavor was not stuck in my mouth for that long. Overall I gave this a good rating due to the fact that this was a random find and have had no hype provided to me from friends. I would buy one can again if I was in the mood for a very and I mean very sweet beer.

2.41/5  rDev -31.5%

Look: Golden Yellow with a 1 finger head and no retention and lots of carbonation bubbles

Smell: Wheat and pineapple not much more

Taste: Holy pineapple Batman this almost taste like pineapple juice with a hint of pineapple

Mouthfeel: Light and refreshing with a medium carbonation feel

Overall: Not for me but if you love fruit in your beer than this is definately for you.

3.15/5  rDev -10.5%

12oz can poured into a pint glass. from notes

A - Pours a nice yellow-orange with fluffy, bubbly white head. Lots of carbonation

S - Citric aromas (pineapple, banana, oranges). Some bready yeast

T - Very strong pineapple juice. Oranges, lemons, grass. The yeast provides a bready/doughy flavour to it that doesn't mesh well with the strong citric presence.

M - Effervescent, light

O - This would be an okay beer for sitting poolside but it just wasn't really my thing. I'd like it better if the pineapple was integrated a bit better and not just taste like a can of juice was poured in. Not too bad, not too great; average.

3.26/5  rDev -7.4%

Poured from a 12oz can into a pint glass. My other Maui offering had a date stamped on bottom of the can but this one didn't. But they just entered the Texas market so it's fresh enough. Was a very cloudy honey color with great carb streams. It had a large foamy head that settled into a constant thick foam cap. Great lacing and plenty sticking. One of the best looking APWA's that I've had.

The aroma is heavy on the wheat and pineapple juice with some other fruits in the background (banana for sure and maybe a little orange). Pretty sweet smelling maybe too much. The taste is heavy on the sweet pineapple juice with not much else coming thru. I wouldn't have minded it as an accent but not enjoying it as much as the main element. Refreshing but it's a bit too much after a whole can. Mouthfeel is medium with crisp carbonation.

Overall, an interesting beer that might find a home with the masses but it's too sweet for me and too one dimensional. Accent great; lead not so much. Avail here in TX. Glad to try it as I've heard good things about Maui but one is enough for me. [N;O]

2.91/5  rDev -17.3%

Many thanks to beerbatvocate for throwing this my way.

A - Very light translucent straw colored with a tiny white head that stays up for about 30 seconds before it dissapears. Just a few bubbles on top with almost zero lacing.

S - Heavily spiced; coriander, clove, nutmeg with a tiny bit of banana and grassy funk.

T - I'm getting a ton of pineapple juice and yeast with an assload of coriander, clove and orange peel. The pineapple juice tastes like it's from a can that may have begun to rust and dominates. Not enjoying this a whole lot.

M - crisp and refreshing

O - Overall pretty meh. The artificial tasting pineapple juice gets old quick and is pretty distracting. I'd be really unhappy if I had another 5 of these to finish. I think this might be really good in a smoothie, if you're into drinking smoothies.

4.1/5  rDev +16.5%

Many thanks to woodychandler for yet another canned beer for me to try. Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a cloudy golden color with lots of head rushing to the top of my glass. Smell is of pineapple, a bit on the sweet side. Taste is not sweet, pineapples are present as are some wheat and grains. Feels full bodied in the mouth and overall is worth seeking out. This is the 4th beer I have tried from Maui brewing and all have been of superior quality. We need to get them distributed here in PA.

1.18/5  rDev -66.5%

I don't know what everyone else was drinking. But this beer tastes like vomit, and smells like it too. The malt and hop aroma that may be there are masked by a pungent aroma of puked pineapple. The head was great and the beer looked stellar. But every time I brought the beer close to my face I triggered my gag reflex. This beer could possibly drive me back to watered down lager style beers. They never let you down like this.

3.74/5  rDev +6.3%

Draft service into a goblet at Brix in Sunset Beach.

A: Clear, medium golden color with one finger of diminishing white foam head. Light lacing remains on the palate.

S: Bright fruit dominates, with sweet apple, apricot, and golden raisin all detected. There is also a faint element of bready yeast but it stays subordinate to the fruit.

T: Begins off-dry, with bright mixed fruit and honey. Acidity is mild, but welcome--at home amidst the other flavors. Some pineapple character emerges in the middle, but without the characteristic sweet or tart modifier that one might expect to accompany it in obligate fashion. The finish is not bitter, but does feature a whiff of pilsner malt and more lingering pineapple.

M: Thin to medium viscosity, wet and smooth on the palate, with moderate carbonation.

D/O: This filtered wheat beer is fairly accomplished, refreshing the palate while generating interest. It is quite dissimilar to most other wheat beers, in appearance as well as other qualities. It presents itself more like an adventurous blond ale than anything traditionally associated with wheat.

3.68/5  rDev +4.5%

A- Bright golden color with a little white lacing and almost no head retention.

S- sweet malts, pineapple, yeast, basically no hop aromoa...shocker ;)

T -sweet, dry, fruity/pineapple. the pineapple blends nicely with the fruity esters given from the yeast. Sweet malts underline the entire beer giving it a solid sweetness that isnt overbarring.

M- nice and light on the palate. nothing crazy here, decent carb, minor residual sugars, nice clean finish.

Great beer for a hot summer day out on the BBQ

Mana Wheat from Maui Brewing Co.