Liquid Breadfruit | Maui Brewing Co.

Liquid BreadfruitLiquid Breadfruit

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | nextlast
Reviews: 58 | Ratings: 182
3.53/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: The beer pours a cloudy golden orange body with a thin white head that quickly fades away.

S: I am getting a bit of fruit, some wheat, grain and also a little bit of alcohol that tickle the nose.

T: I get a little bit of bready yeast flavors, some fruity yeast flavors and also a bit of wheat.

M: There is a decent amount of crispness on the tip of the tongue and the back of the throat.

O: This is for sure not $14 a 6-pack, but it's not bad. I bet I would enjoy this more if I was drinking it on the beaches of Maui.

3.5/5  rDev +1.4%

A: poured into a pint glass to a slightly hazed light gold with a small dense white head that fades to a small pool and collar around the glass
S: smells sweet and fruity with a hint of bitterness and base malt
T: tastes of a sweet fruitiness which I'm guessing is the breadfruit, a slight toastyness, a bit of caramel sweetness and more fruitiness, and slight bitterness. swallow is more tropical fruitiness, a slight toastyness and a slight earthy bitterness that lingers on the finish
M: heavy side of medium with soft and slightly prickly carbonation slightly drying finish
O: Interesting beer. good flavors and decent complexity but the mouthfeel is a bit too heavy in my opinion. It's pretty pricey as well. I got a single can instead of paying 16 for a six pack and I'm glad I did. Worth a try but not worth getting in bulk.

3.5/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Maui Brewing/Dogfish Head 'Liquid Breadfruit' @ 8.2% , served from a 6pack of 355 ml cans purchased for $15.50

A-pour is a pale gold from the can to a slight hazy gold in the glass with a medium size white head leaving a spotty lace along the pint

S-papaya stands out , other tropical fruit

T-sweet boozey start , real bitter swallow

MF-low mild carbonation , full bodied , slight metallic/acid mouthfeel , too much booze

Ov-well I've got a 4pack that can be used in my first trade someday , not a pleasant beer

prost LampertLand

3.49/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Liquid breadfruit
A3.5 a golden hazy pour with little amount of head
S3.25 very bready, slight cutrus
T3.5 a crisp tasting bready ale. Bell peppers, lots of yeast
M4 full body, high carbonation, boozy
O3.5 a weird offering from these 2 breweries. Good for a breakfast beer, and glad it came in a small portion.

3.47/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A- pours a hazed but bright golden color with a sudsy white head thar reduces quickly, leaving just a ring of suds behind

S- sweet with lots of tropical fruit notes of pineapple juice, guava mango with a hint of citrus. Very boozy with some toasted malt linger

T- sweet guava-like flavor up front, bready malt, pear & apple, toasty notes from the papaya seeds on the finish

M- medium body and medium prickly carbonation, foamy mouthfeel continues to the finish, ABV is hidden much better than it was in the aroma

O- an interesting use of ingredients, very fruity, drinks almost like fruit nectar. As with all if Maui's beers, I feel like they are much better consumed on the beach

3.46/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz. can, picked up at The Wine Country, collaboration with Dogfish Head,

A: Pours a murky burnt orange, with a medium white head. Good head retention, frothy, limited lace.

S: Some tropical fruit, sourdough bread, papaya, but a fairly mild smell.

T: Sweet malt, orange, tropical fruit, pineapple, honey. I've never had breadfruit before, so I can't pinpoint where it's flavour is coming in, but this certainly tastes pretty good. Nice mix of flavours.

M: Medium-bodied, frothy, crisp carbonation. Tad cloying at times.

O: An interesting beer to try. I'm a sucker for new ideas and new ingredients in the brewing world. This is a $16-pack, but pick up a single to expand your palate.

3.45/5  rDev 0%

Poured from a 12 oz can into a pint glass, canned on 10/26/12 . This pours a hazy, cloudy yellowish brown color with a large mid lived off white head. The smells are bready, malty, semi sweet a hint of peach and papaya. The feel is medium, mid carbonation. The taste is okay, you get a very unmasked alcohol taste which overpowers everything else (I would have preferred something less boozey), once you get past all of the alcohol you get some mild fruit, bread malts and a slight bitterness, but its almost completely overpowered.

3.45/5  rDev 0%

I've always loved the feel of Maui's cans. They're grippable and nice to hold. Seriously. The best cans in the industry. Bravo. 12 fl oz green aluminum can acquired tonight at K&L Wines in Hollywood. Expectations are low; I've heard bad things about this beer. But I do like Maui. "Ale brewed with breadfruit and papaya seeds." 8.20% ABV confirmed.

Served straight from the fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor.

Not paired with food.

A: Pours almost all foam in the glass. Head is obscene but recedes at a decent rate. Head is a milky khaki colour, with nice cream, good thickness, and great (7+ minute) retention. Light sticky lacing as the head recedes. Body colour is a tropical hazy tangerine orange. Wisps of yeast residue are visible. Murky, hazy, and nontransparent, yet a bit translucent and glowing. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. Exciting and different. I'm excited to try it.

Sm: Very very light. My broken nose has trouble detecting much of anything. Light nectar. Floral hops. Honey? A nectar fruit; I guess that's what breadfruit smells like. It's certainly tropical. A light aroma. Pleasant and generally inviting. No yeast or alcohol is detectable. Hell, I don't even get any malts/grains. Maybe light papaya? Lime.

T: Pretty sweet, with papaya and tropical fruit esters coming through. Light tropical fruit hops and floral hops. Sweetens still further on the climax, becoming nectary in a fruity sense (as opposed to in a hop sense). Refreshing, clean, and enjoyable. I get some lime; it really comes out on the finish. I assume some of the fruit I'm getting is breadfruit, but I have no idea what breadfruit is or what it tastes like. Maybe a dash of saltiness? Though that could be my brain playing tricks due to the lime. I could see where this could be too sweet for most. It's definitely simple, but I think the balance is surprisingly good. I think this flavour profile is exactly what they were going for, and I think it works. I quite like this.

Mf: Soft and chewy. Light and pleasant. Great carbonation; near ideal. Palate presence is good. Refreshing and enjoyable. Doesn't lack body.

Dr: Very drinkable for the high ABV - which hardly comes through at all. I understand why many may not like this, but I think it succeeds. They accomplished what they were trying to do, and I quite enjoy the outcome. An unexpected success from Maui/Dogfish Head. I'd get this again. Would make a good beach beer. I'd recommend this to friends, actually. I expected to hate this, but for what it is, it's rather good. Worth a try.

High B-

3.42/5  rDev -0.9%

Can to pint

A - very murky/cloudy orange; some bubbly lacing; foamy near half-inch white head

S - bready; sweetly peppery; hints of peaches; a little musty; a bit of honey; some papaya notes; slightly citrus/tropical fruity

T - the musty meat-fruit stank shines; this beer has some varying flavors but foremost is that peppery passionfruit sweetbread thing; some significant malt flavors here; a bit sweet with a strange bitterness towards the back end; burnt apples

M - medium bodied; noticeable booziness; chewy; acidic; nice carbonation

O - there's a flavor note here that lingers for a while after the sip is gone; the flavor is not really ideal and keeps 'pinging' the back of your tongue; it may be the yeast used; it's an interesting beer for sure...and while I don't know what breadfruit tastes like, I don't imagine I'll be clamoring for it based on this beer. I wish the nose flavors came through instead of the bitter, peppery yeast. My burps from this taste like batteries.

3.38/5  rDev -2%
look: 1.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Cloudy orange color, No lacing. Head is mild and white with thin foam.

Very English yeasty... Dry, bready, and slightly tart (think blackberries)

It's refreshing, smooth, easy drinking, not hot, well (heavy) carbonated, much flavor is severely lacking. Bready, missing lots of fruit flavors. Tastes like knockoff gummy snacks...

A very small step above an average fruit brew. Worth $4/12oz can just to try, but would never think about getting at again... Kinda recommend??

3.37/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer comes to me from the creator of the canquest, woodychandler. Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a dark golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is mild, a touch of fruit. Taste is alcohol, some fruitiness, a touch of medicinal flavor at the finish. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is a unique and decent beer.

3.35/5  rDev -2.9%

Maui/Dogfish collab!!!! Wooop!! So this can pours up light copper colour with small off white head. Nose is caramel, slight lime, vanilla. Taste is bitter citrus hops with a sticky mouthfeel, very sweet light malts, kiss of lemon. Never had breadfruit or toasted papaya seeds so I can't give ya anything there. Medium body, mellow yet crisp carbo, for sure masks the 8.2 alky. For sure a fruity American Pale. Not too shabby. Btw, drinkin this while I listen to my Corn Dog play her new banjo :)

3.35/5  rDev -2.9%

Canned: unable to tell, all cans only partially labeled

Nearly solid light orange colored ale with some patches of light cream foam. Smells of tropical fruit juice, biscuity malts, some hints of passionfruit and more malts. Tastes sweet, reminds me initially of very ripe papaya, then some grape and apple alongside a faintness of pineapple. Medium bodied with a velvet character and small carb. This is an interesting beer, very fruity, but I can't really relate to the individual flavors - like being asked to describe persimmons or something...

3.35/5  rDev -2.9%

Poured from 12oz can into Globe glass.

A. Pours 2 finger head. Color is a vibrant bright orange. Moderate retention. Not muc lacing. Color is awesome.

S. Fruity, earthy, has a mustiness to it. Interesting smell. Maybe a bit of honey, along with a varied tropical smell. Quite a lot going on with the aroma of this beer. Sweet malt. Overall pretty sweet.

T. Malty, bready, semi sweet. Not all that good. Bread fruit is a pretty apt description for the flavor of this beer. Not my cup of tea.

M. Medium bodied. LIngering sweetness. Medium carbonation.

O. What do you expect from a Dogfish Head beer. Some are good, others are not. This isnt a bad beer, just not a flavor that works for me. Wish is tastes more like the smell. ABV is not very apparent. A struggle to put the whole thing down.

3.34/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

A collaboration beer from Maui Brewing Co. and Dogfish Head Brewing. It was a nice golden colour with a definite tropical nose. It was slightly bitter with a mild hoppy finish, mild carbonation as well.

3.32/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

A-clear amber color with a nice off-white head and decent lacing

S-wheat bread, pineapple, herbal, a little funky

T-slightly sweet,yeasty bready malt, little herbal and spicy,little tropical fruit, some alcohol noted

F-medium body with moderate carbonation, smooth

O-interesting, but doesn't seem to quite all work together

3.3/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Liquid Breadfruit is a collaboration brew made by Maui Brewing Company and Dogfish Head Brewing. My expectations were high for this offering, knowing the experimental nature of DFH and Maui’s penchant for creating something tasty from unlikely ingredients. While this beer was only brewed once, I have to admit I wasn’t a huge fan. What it bolsters in pedigree and hype it lacks in the robust flavor profile I have come to expect from DFH.

Don’t get me wrong, this is no BMC (Bud, Miller, Coors) aberration. Dogfish and Maui have created a very complex beer with a leading flavor profile of uncommon ingredients. Typically, a beer with an 8.2% ABV has more than a touch of booziness, but Liquid Breadfruit hides its alcohol content very well! As it warmed however, the flavors began to muddle and the alcohol began to creep toward the front of the flavor profile.

This beer is fruit sweet, not sticky / syrupy sweet, so fans on fruit beers like Leinenkugel’s Summer Shandy and Abita’s Purple Haze should enjoy this; the one caveat being this isn’t a light beer by any stretch of the imagination. Malts are the chosen vehicle to deliver the tropical flavors of guava, papaya and breadfruit. This shakes the typical soda-thin mouthfeel of fruit beers, with LBF taking on a little more chewiness while not getting too thick and bready.

Availability: This was a special one-time offering. I doubt you’ll find it in stores (I snagged the last can from my local bottle shop), but if you do, buy it. It was worth sampling, though I couldn’t see purchasing a sixer of it.

3.28/5  rDev -4.9%

12oz can picked up for $3 at Bier Thirty a few days ago.. poured into my slim tulip... short lasting eggshell head... little lacing... the brew is fairly clear light orange.

The nose honestly smells like... "beer".. slightly tropical fruity hoppy "beer"... maybe some slight persimmon if my mind is on straight.

Flavor is "slightly big beer".. I get a mild tropical fruitiness... fermented out honey, lightly earthy.. and something else that makes me think Viet cinnamon (very light).. possibly some light clove.

Light/medium body with a good carbonation..

Honestly... No Shit... The only HONEST good thing I can say about this beer is that the ABV is pretty well hidden.

This beer is not worth seeking out. Breadfruit or not, just sooo average.

3.28/5  rDev -4.9%

Poured from 12oz can into a pint glass.

Appearance: medium orange hue with moderate haze and a strong effervescence. Head is a thick finger of frothy ivory foam. Pretty attractive.

Smell: toasty, bready and biscuity character with an unplaceable fruitiness. Quite earthy. Not too bad, although the biscuity quality is not really my bag.

Taste: sweet and perfumey with some of that biscuity malt underneath. There's also a pronounced alcoholic component here; I think the flavors aren't quite strong enough to stand up to the booze. Again, the overall character is quite earthy with an interesting but hard-to-define fruity quality. I like the idea of this beer, but the flavors (particularly the perfume-biscuit-alcohol combo) just don't mix well for me.

Mouthfeel: medium body with a good level of carbonation and a quite-nice creaminess. Good stuff.

Overall: I would not go after this beer again, but I think it has opened my mind to the possibility of breadfruit in beer. A breadfruit weizen, maybe? In any case, the formulation of this brew just isn't to my taste.

3.21/5  rDev -7%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

12oz can. Clear gold with a bright-white foamy cap. This initially retains with some decent lacing but eventually the whole things goes quite dead looking. Smells very sweet with notes of honey, bread and tropical fruit. Maybe some green citrus in thee as well. There is also a different kind of accent that is coming across as vinous or maybe a touch medicinal. The taste is similar with a combination of sugary doughs and a fruitiness that is half pithy and sweet. That strange vinous quality is present as well. The mouthfeel is medium to fuller with a firm creaminess that fills the mouth. This has a touch of warmth but most of the alcohol is mostly felt in the thickness of the body. This was interesting but not quite in a good way I’m afraid. I wish the flavors were a bit more discernible from each other, which coupled with the bigger body to make for a combo that was quite frankly a little boring to put down. I’m glad I just picked up a single can of this.

3.17/5  rDev -8.1%

Poured from a 12 oz can in to a pint glass.

A pleasant dark gold color with a little bit of floating sediment, making it semi-hazy. Thin white head that quickly dissipates.

Nice tropical fruit flavors in the nose, like papaya and passion fruit. A bit of lime-y citrus, some grassiness. Alcohol is present.

Orange citrus comes through first in the taste, followed by some tropical fruits, a little breadiness. Lime zest on the finish. Again, the alcohol is apparent, there's a distracting booziness.

Nicely carbonated, comes on dry then a little viscous in the middle. Ends pretty clean.

Overall, my biggest complaint is the booziness. It's distracting and overpowers the flavors of the adjuncts. Why did they make it 8%? There's some nice stuff going on in this beer, but I feel like if it was a 5% pale ale or blonde it would have worked much better.

3.16/5  rDev -8.4%

Out of a chilled aluminum can on the tail end of an extremely introspective trip (of sorts).

English pale ale maltiness on the attack. There is another kind of sourness here that amplifies the ale tartness, must be the breadfruit. Well hopped with a bit of apple and pear flavors.

The flavor of this beer is really dominated by the breadfruit, which is what they were looking for, I guess. It's got an interestingly sweet acidity to it and a strong lingering bitterness which feels somewhat distinct from normal hop bittering. It's a thick, grapefruit-like bitterness that combines well with tartness to produce a powerful, round aftertaste. The acidity is a bit overpowering and reminds me of some less-than-desirable homebrew batches I've made.

3.11/5  rDev -9.9%

12 oz can. Pours a hazy golden orange with a big meringue white head that retains well and laces the glass.

The aroma is wit-like with some tropical fruit and funky yeast and pepper.

The flavor is earthy yeast with light tropical fruits and some peppery spices. There's some phenolic bitterness in the finish. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with slightly sharp carbonation.

Overall, it's more yeasty than fruity but a bit phenolic.

3.09/5  rDev -10.4%

Milky, honeyed amber with cornsilk highlights when backlit and a lumpy white head that fades into blobs of foam on the glass. The aroma is sweet with lime, alcohol and tropical fruit. Odd flavors that feel a little rough around the edges, alcohol and untoasted grain with a spicy finish. I have never had breadfruit but I think I taste it and it's not for me. Light bodied and highly carbonated. A different beer but a little too much alcoholic heat for the style IMO.

3.04/5  rDev -11.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

First beer of the day while prepping some BBQ tri-tip for dinner.

A - Deep dark orangey-golden color, cloudy, with slightly off-white head that went from a solid foamy not very porous head down to a thin white lace covering after 5 minutes.

S - light papaya smell, slightly bready smell. Hint of mango, smells creamy or full bodied.

T - Decently hoppy beer, bitterness does not last for long, lightly fruity sweetness, and some crispness. starts out creamy before the bitterness and floral notes come through.

M - creamy, then bitter and slightly crisp and acidic.

O - Not the best tasting beer for a collaboration I was expecting more. It is reminiscent of a Budweiser with some dry hops and maybe a touch of tropical fruit flavor.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | nextlast
Liquid Breadfruit from Maui Brewing Co.