Liquid Breadfruit | Maui Brewing Co.

good
Liquid BreadfruitLiquid Breadfruit

Maui Brewing Co.
Hawaii, United States
mauibrewingco.com

Style: Fruit / Vegetable Beer

Added by Halcyondays on 11-17-2012

3.45/5  rDev -0.3%

I've always loved the feel of Maui's cans. They're grippable and nice to hold. Seriously. The best cans in the industry. Bravo. 12 fl oz green aluminum can acquired tonight at K&L Wines in Hollywood. Expectations are low; I've heard bad things about this beer. But I do like Maui. "Ale brewed with breadfruit and papaya seeds." 8.20% ABV confirmed.

Served straight from the fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor.

Not paired with food.

A: Pours almost all foam in the glass. Head is obscene but recedes at a decent rate. Head is a milky khaki colour, with nice cream, good thickness, and great (7+ minute) retention. Light sticky lacing as the head recedes. Body colour is a tropical hazy tangerine orange. Wisps of yeast residue are visible. Murky, hazy, and nontransparent, yet a bit translucent and glowing. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. Exciting and different. I'm excited to try it.

Sm: Very very light. My broken nose has trouble detecting much of anything. Light nectar. Floral hops. Honey? A nectar fruit; I guess that's what breadfruit smells like. It's certainly tropical. A light aroma. Pleasant and generally inviting. No yeast or alcohol is detectable. Hell, I don't even get any malts/grains. Maybe light papaya? Lime.

T: Pretty sweet, with papaya and tropical fruit esters coming through. Light tropical fruit hops and floral hops. Sweetens still further on the climax, becoming nectary in a fruity sense (as opposed to in a hop sense). Refreshing, clean, and enjoyable. I get some lime; it really comes out on the finish. I assume some of the fruit I'm getting is breadfruit, but I have no idea what breadfruit is or what it tastes like. Maybe a dash of saltiness? Though that could be my brain playing tricks due to the lime. I could see where this could be too sweet for most. It's definitely simple, but I think the balance is surprisingly good. I think this flavour profile is exactly what they were going for, and I think it works. I quite like this.

Mf: Soft and chewy. Light and pleasant. Great carbonation; near ideal. Palate presence is good. Refreshing and enjoyable. Doesn't lack body.

Dr: Very drinkable for the high ABV - which hardly comes through at all. I understand why many may not like this, but I think it succeeds. They accomplished what they were trying to do, and I quite enjoy the outcome. An unexpected success from Maui/Dogfish Head. I'd get this again. Would make a good beach beer. I'd recommend this to friends, actually. I expected to hate this, but for what it is, it's rather good. Worth a try.

High B-

3.46/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz. can, picked up at The Wine Country, collaboration with Dogfish Head,

A: Pours a murky burnt orange, with a medium white head. Good head retention, frothy, limited lace.

S: Some tropical fruit, sourdough bread, papaya, but a fairly mild smell.

T: Sweet malt, orange, tropical fruit, pineapple, honey. I've never had breadfruit before, so I can't pinpoint where it's flavour is coming in, but this certainly tastes pretty good. Nice mix of flavours.

M: Medium-bodied, frothy, crisp carbonation. Tad cloying at times.

O: An interesting beer to try. I'm a sucker for new ideas and new ingredients in the brewing world. This is a $16-pack, but pick up a single to expand your palate.

3.47/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A- pours a hazed but bright golden color with a sudsy white head thar reduces quickly, leaving just a ring of suds behind

S- sweet with lots of tropical fruit notes of pineapple juice, guava mango with a hint of citrus. Very boozy with some toasted malt linger

T- sweet guava-like flavor up front, bready malt, pear & apple, toasty notes from the papaya seeds on the finish

M- medium body and medium prickly carbonation, foamy mouthfeel continues to the finish, ABV is hidden much better than it was in the aroma

O- an interesting use of ingredients, very fruity, drinks almost like fruit nectar. As with all if Maui's beers, I feel like they are much better consumed on the beach

3.49/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.49/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Liquid breadfruit
A3.5 a golden hazy pour with little amount of head
S3.25 very bready, slight cutrus
T3.5 a crisp tasting bready ale. Bell peppers, lots of yeast
M4 full body, high carbonation, boozy
O3.5 a weird offering from these 2 breweries. Good for a breakfast beer, and glad it came in a small portion.

3.5/5  rDev +1.2%

A: poured into a pint glass to a slightly hazed light gold with a small dense white head that fades to a small pool and collar around the glass
S: smells sweet and fruity with a hint of bitterness and base malt
T: tastes of a sweet fruitiness which I'm guessing is the breadfruit, a slight toastyness, a bit of caramel sweetness and more fruitiness, and slight bitterness. swallow is more tropical fruitiness, a slight toastyness and a slight earthy bitterness that lingers on the finish
M: heavy side of medium with soft and slightly prickly carbonation slightly drying finish
O: Interesting beer. good flavors and decent complexity but the mouthfeel is a bit too heavy in my opinion. It's pretty pricey as well. I got a single can instead of paying 16 for a six pack and I'm glad I did. Worth a try but not worth getting in bulk.

3.5/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Maui Brewing/Dogfish Head 'Liquid Breadfruit' @ 8.2% , served from a 6pack of 355 ml cans purchased for $15.50

A-pour is a pale gold from the can to a slight hazy gold in the glass with a medium size white head leaving a spotty lace along the pint

S-papaya stands out , other tropical fruit

T-sweet boozey start , real bitter swallow

MF-low mild carbonation , full bodied , slight metallic/acid mouthfeel , too much booze

Ov-well I've got a 4pack that can be used in my first trade someday , not a pleasant beer

prost LampertLand

3.5/5  rDev +1.2%

Liquid Breadfruit from Maui Brewing Co.