Liquid Breadfruit | Maui Brewing Co.

Liquid BreadfruitLiquid Breadfruit

Liked:
3.43/5
Alströms:

3.16/5  rDev -7.9%

Out of a chilled aluminum can on the tail end of an extremely introspective trip (of sorts).

English pale ale maltiness on the attack. There is another kind of sourness here that amplifies the ale tartness, must be the breadfruit. Well hopped with a bit of apple and pear flavors.

The flavor of this beer is really dominated by the breadfruit, which is what they were looking for, I guess. It's got an interestingly sweet acidity to it and a strong lingering bitterness which feels somewhat distinct from normal hop bittering. It's a thick, grapefruit-like bitterness that combines well with tartness to produce a powerful, round aftertaste. The acidity is a bit overpowering and reminds me of some less-than-desirable homebrew batches I've made.

3.45/5  rDev +0.6%

I've always loved the feel of Maui's cans. They're grippable and nice to hold. Seriously. The best cans in the industry. Bravo. 12 fl oz green aluminum can acquired tonight at K&L Wines in Hollywood. Expectations are low; I've heard bad things about this beer. But I do like Maui. "Ale brewed with breadfruit and papaya seeds." 8.20% ABV confirmed.

Served straight from the fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor.

Not paired with food.

A: Pours almost all foam in the glass. Head is obscene but recedes at a decent rate. Head is a milky khaki colour, with nice cream, good thickness, and great (7+ minute) retention. Light sticky lacing as the head recedes. Body colour is a tropical hazy tangerine orange. Wisps of yeast residue are visible. Murky, hazy, and nontransparent, yet a bit translucent and glowing. No yeast particles are visible. No bubble show. Exciting and different. I'm excited to try it.

Sm: Very very light. My broken nose has trouble detecting much of anything. Light nectar. Floral hops. Honey? A nectar fruit; I guess that's what breadfruit smells like. It's certainly tropical. A light aroma. Pleasant and generally inviting. No yeast or alcohol is detectable. Hell, I don't even get any malts/grains. Maybe light papaya? Lime.

T: Pretty sweet, with papaya and tropical fruit esters coming through. Light tropical fruit hops and floral hops. Sweetens still further on the climax, becoming nectary in a fruity sense (as opposed to in a hop sense). Refreshing, clean, and enjoyable. I get some lime; it really comes out on the finish. I assume some of the fruit I'm getting is breadfruit, but I have no idea what breadfruit is or what it tastes like. Maybe a dash of saltiness? Though that could be my brain playing tricks due to the lime. I could see where this could be too sweet for most. It's definitely simple, but I think the balance is surprisingly good. I think this flavour profile is exactly what they were going for, and I think it works. I quite like this.

Mf: Soft and chewy. Light and pleasant. Great carbonation; near ideal. Palate presence is good. Refreshing and enjoyable. Doesn't lack body.

Dr: Very drinkable for the high ABV - which hardly comes through at all. I understand why many may not like this, but I think it succeeds. They accomplished what they were trying to do, and I quite enjoy the outcome. An unexpected success from Maui/Dogfish Head. I'd get this again. Would make a good beach beer. I'd recommend this to friends, actually. I expected to hate this, but for what it is, it's rather good. Worth a try.

High B-

4.5/5  rDev +31.2%

1.5/5  rDev -56.3%

3.37/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer comes to me from the creator of the canquest, woodychandler. Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a dark golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is mild, a touch of fruit. Taste is alcohol, some fruitiness, a touch of medicinal flavor at the finish. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is a unique and decent beer.

3.3/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Liquid Breadfruit is a collaboration brew made by Maui Brewing Company and Dogfish Head Brewing. My expectations were high for this offering, knowing the experimental nature of DFH and Maui’s penchant for creating something tasty from unlikely ingredients. While this beer was only brewed once, I have to admit I wasn’t a huge fan. What it bolsters in pedigree and hype it lacks in the robust flavor profile I have come to expect from DFH.

Don’t get me wrong, this is no BMC (Bud, Miller, Coors) aberration. Dogfish and Maui have created a very complex beer with a leading flavor profile of uncommon ingredients. Typically, a beer with an 8.2% ABV has more than a touch of booziness, but Liquid Breadfruit hides its alcohol content very well! As it warmed however, the flavors began to muddle and the alcohol began to creep toward the front of the flavor profile.

This beer is fruit sweet, not sticky / syrupy sweet, so fans on fruit beers like Leinenkugel’s Summer Shandy and Abita’s Purple Haze should enjoy this; the one caveat being this isn’t a light beer by any stretch of the imagination. Malts are the chosen vehicle to deliver the tropical flavors of guava, papaya and breadfruit. This shakes the typical soda-thin mouthfeel of fruit beers, with LBF taking on a little more chewiness while not getting too thick and bready.

Availability: This was a special one-time offering. I doubt you’ll find it in stores (I snagged the last can from my local bottle shop), but if you do, buy it. It was worth sampling, though I couldn’t see purchasing a sixer of it.

2.41/5  rDev -29.7%

Very mild nose with some mild apple and florals. Slightly bready. Honestly, the first thing i thought of was the smell of clean laundry, which is a fine smell in and of itself, but not coming out of my beer. Very light and dry taste, slightly malty. Not as sweet as i was expecting.

3.58/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

A: Pours a cloudy dark orange color. 2 finger, white, fizzy head that disappears pretty quickly but leaves a nice thin ring around the top. Light lacing, but falls right off the glass.

S: Some yeast esters. Definitely some sweet maltiness. Also sweet sugars. I'm not getting a whole lot here.

T: Packs a better punch than the smell would lead you to believe. Here I actually get a little of the breadfruit and definitely taste papaya. A little malt sweetness and virtually no bitterness. Better than I anticipated.

M: Light to medium body, good carbonation level. A little creamier than I thought it would be from the looks of things.

O: I had little expectation here, but this was overall better than I thought it would be. The taste was different and it was balanced very well. The 8% ABV is completely hidden.

3.75/5  rDev +9.3%

Liquid Breadfruit from Maui Brewing Co.
Beer rating: 35.5% out of 100 with 186 ratings