Overcast Espresso Stout | Oakshire Brewing

Style: American Stout

Added by BeerAdvocate on 05-31-2008

Reviews: 114 | Ratings: 362
4.04/5  rDev +4.7%

Fresh from a growler from the source, this one pours a murky jet black with a dark burnt brown two-finger head that has reasonable retention and leaves mild lacing.

aroma is intense brewed coffee. hints of cocoa, a bit of green hop but the nose is almost all coffee in this one. Seems more intense than the bottled version. maybe just fresher? I love my coffee, so it's working for me.

Taste is smooth, rich dark malt with some definite coffee overtones. dark mocha bitterness up front, receding to some bright coffee and toasted malt in the middle, with a pleasantly hoppy and cocoay bitter finish. I want the hops and malt to be a bit stronger to tame the coffee...

body is moderate, verging on thin at times. fine carbonation. Wish i was a bit thicker and a bit more carb to help corral the coffee flavors.

All in all, one of my favorite coffee stouts out there. Not quite the top, but definitely up there and worth seeking out if coffee brews are up your alley.

3.13/5  rDev -18.9%

on tap at Kelly's Olympian, PDX

A: black with dusty brown colors around the edges. A hazy foam on top, off-white cream in color. Thin watery ring of lace at the rim with lace fingers pointing down after a few sips

S: hint of chocolate with roasted coffee and malts. Hard to gather all flavors as coffee beans are most prominent

T: this one has a strong coffee profile overall, flavors are roasted and a touch of vanilla sweet. Sort of lacks in overall complexity as grains seem restrained and almost vanish. Soft cocoa cream and a slight astringency in the finish with stale hops

M: carbonated for a stout and caught me by surprise. Fizzy bite to this takes away quite a bit in the mouthfeel and overall vibe. I would consider this body mild, bubbly, and sharp

D: flavors in some regards come and go, coffee and more coffee. Don't get me wrong, I love coffee in my beers, but this one lacks overall elements to make it the least bit enjoyable. Body is not chunky enough for me and results in a slightly average experience

4.09/5  rDev +6%

appearance - pours thick and dark, no head, some very light lacing

smell - malts, oatmeal, chocolate, coffee

taste - coffee and malts up front, some bitterness in the finish

mouthfeel - light to medium body

drinkability - very drinkable, balanced flavor

3.79/5  rDev -1.8%

mmmm Lots of coffee aroma. You know how some coffee beers smell a little like burnt beans, not this one. Nice chocolate malt too. A little fruity yeast esters.

Deep black and no light gets through even when held up to a bulb. Poured with a half inch tan head that faded quickly to a little whispy brown layer.

Coffee is the dominant flavor. Lots and lots of dark coffee. Underneath it's a little thin for a stout for my taste. Good balanced hop biterness but I don't get a lot of roast malt. Maybe it's hiding behind the coffee. But I like it.

Medium bodied with light carbonation.

I like it a lot. I like coffee a lot so it's a natural that I would like this.

3.8/5  rDev -1.6%

Thanks to cdkrenz...CK, you da man!

A - This brew poured dark black in color with an impressive two finger foamy head. Good head retention but not a lot of lacing despite the head.

S - Roasted malt and coffee, followed by hints of some dark bitter chocolate.

T & M - Very nice robust flavors that I would expect from an American Stout...Roasted malts play nicely with the dark roast coffee, and the hint of bitter chocolate I smelled in the nose pops up in minute quantities. Medium bodied and moderately creamy, finishes with a bit of roasted malt aftertaste.

D - Lowish on the ABV, highish on flavor. A nicely drinkable little stout...I have to thank my buddy CK for this tasty offering.

3.8/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 22oz bomber into a clear pint glass. No freshness date apparent. Purchased on sale for $3.79 from local natural foods store.

A-Pours an almost black hue with a one + finger, creamy tan head that lingers into an ample, sticky lace. The second pour after it warmed produced a full two finger head.

S-Dark chocolate, roasted malts, and cold brewed espresso coffee. Yum. It looks good, it smells good...

T-Taste isn't robust enough. The coffee dominates and would be great if it were balanced by more rich creamy malt.

M-Too light and thin, almost watery. No where near adequate for the style. Too bad, since this beer began with such great promise in the appearance and nose.

D-This is not a bad beer, but when my favorite Obsidian Stout is available in six packs for $8.99 (often much less on sale) there really is no place in my fridge for this beer that is usually about $5 a bomber.

Drank this one by myself on New Year's...not that I was BY myself, I just, well, I mean, you know what I mean...never mind!

Poured out, the Overcast Espresso Stout has basically no head; only a few dark red/brown bubbles swim around the rim of the liquid. I even tried a more aggressive pour to get some foam, but nothing. Very high viscosity, and probably low malt (?). The body is pitch-black as far as I can tell. This is not an appetizing beer at all. Looks like old motor oil to me.

The smell, on the other had is quite incredible. The aroma is espresso and nothing else. Most coffee beers still smell like roasted malt, but not this one: it smells like a cup of coffee. It's pretty amazing that Oakshire pulled off making a "coffee beer" that truly smells like, um, COFFEE. Amazing.

Taste is espresso, straight up. Well into my first glass I still thought I was drinking coffee not beer. I didn't taste any sweetness from the oatmeal. There is a little hoppiness that tries to push through but it's overpowered by the coffee. I don't know about the balance of this. Definitely not my cup of tea...or coffee. When cold, I would say this beer is BAD. As it warms it becomes more beery and malty sweet and is definitely a "stout" with its dryness, but it is still mainly coffee at every point.

The feel is smooth and slightly carbonated. Nothing special at all.

As others have said, drink this for breakfast or on a hot summer day--assuming you really enjoy 22 ounces of cold black coffee! I seriously think you could add cream and sugar to this stuff. With this beer, it's coffee to the max. No balance whatsoever.

Poured from tap at Henry's 12th Street in Portland.

Shows an excellent dark color with an oatmeal hue head that fades quickly to a decent lace. The aromas are prominent with mostly coffee and espresso like notes. The taste is all nutty, coffee, and smoke, good but not very complex. The palate is medium bodied with good grip; finishes pretty balanced and smooth. Overall a great, albeit one dimensional stout. Tastes like an alcoholic iced espresso.

3.78/5  rDev -2.1%

A- poured from bottle, light tan head about one finger thick dissipates fast. Beer is dark dark brown and lets no light through.
S- Not a ton going on. Some roasted malts, a little chocolate, and ground coffee. Coffee picks up as it warms.
T- Big coffee bitterness at first fades into chocolate malts. Coffee is the dominant flavor for sure, with roasted malt flavors coming out more as it warms up. Very little sweetness, a bit of piney hops after it hits its ideal temp.
M- Medium mouthfeel, oatmeal gives it a silky texture that coats but isnt sticky. Carbonation could be a tad less. Very nice for an American stout.
D- I enjoy stouts and usually find coffee stouts to be a bit overpowering after a while, but this one is much more drinkable. The coffee flavors blend in well with malts and really adds to the beer. This one is best at cellar temp.

3.55/5  rDev -8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Bottle. Pours a dark brown with a small tan head that has deecent retention and leaves some light lacing on the glass. The aroma is lots of coffee, a light nutty note, and a bit of dark chocolate. The initial taste is sweet with lots of coffee, some nuttiness, and dark chocolate. The finish is bitter with coffee. Light body. Medium carbonation.

4.5/5  rDev +16.6%

This beer is incredible. It pours out a deep black color with brown edges and a gnarly brown thick head. The aroma is heavily of chocolate and darkly roasted, thick coffee...awesome! The taste follows the aroma. This beer has so much flavor for only being 5.8%abv! It has a medium body and very rich flavors. I have yet to have a bad beer from this brewery...every beer they make is awesome and this is no exception! Well done!

3.99/5  rDev +3.4%

Great beer!

Poured this into my pint glass and it had a dark black color with a thick frothy tan colored head. As soon as I open and began to pour I could smell the coffee and chocolate right away. There were also hints of vanilla and a subtle sweetness.

My first sip was dominated by a rich malty sweetness and some chocolate notes. As the taste lingered the strong coffee and burnt tones came through balanced with the hop bitterness that also come through. Great taste throughout from the initial moment it hit my lips until well after swallowing this beer.

Mouthfeel was semi-rich and creamy not as thick as I would have expected. Nonetheless it was very enjoyable.

Overall I really enjoy this beer. Much like the other Oakshire beers they have done a great job with this one as well.

4.27/5  rDev +10.6%

Serving type- 22 ounce bomber poured into a tulip glass.

A- Pours your requisite black stout color. There was a pretty tan two finger head, unfortunately it quickly went away and all that was left was some small cling to the glass. Overall a classically looking stout.

S- I am picking up heavy espresso which is obviously not suprising given the beer's name. I also picked roasted malt, chocolate, and coffee undertones. I nice smelling beer that balances all the various notes quite nicely.

T- The espresso that I smelled so strongly comes out very quickly in the taste however it mellows out rather quickly and finishes with a mellow malty taste.

This is the second Oakshire beer that I have had the chance to try and all I was say is that I wish this brewery were closer to me or vice versa. This is a solid beer and definately one that I would continue to purchase if given the opportunity.

4.61/5  rDev +19.4%

Bomber courtesy of Elendinn. Thanks man!

A- Beautiful black color with 3+ fingers of tan head. Produces a neat Guinness-style cascading effect, and the head hangs around for a while with good lacing. Really impressive looking.

S- Deep. bitter coffee aroma with a little chocolate and a little roasted malt.

T- Exceptional. Huge coffee flavor with nice roasty chocolate characters and a nice bitter note. Incredible.

M- Very nice. Creamy and smooth.

D- Pretty high. Low ABV and smooth flavors make this an easy drinker.

Wow, I was blown away. I had no real expectations, as I'd never even heard of the brewery, but this is an incredible coffee stout for everyday drinking. Highly recommended.

3.6/5  rDev -6.7%

Finally an Oakshire beer that responds well to an aggressive pour, This beer gives me a nice big two finger head into my standard pint glass. The head looks like milk chocolate, light brown in color. It's very creamy looking, a little pillowy, it looks better than most Oakshire heads I've had in the past. The head is leaving good lacing and has decent retention, but it will probably be gone before too long here. The body is absolutely pitch black, no hints of any colors anywhere in this beer, for sure up there in terms of some of the darkest beers I've ever had. Overall it looks pretty good, the head is very weird, it looks a little soapy, but it's still hanging in there so I can't complain too much, it's just weird looking. Overall the beer has a good appearance though. On the smell I get coffee, sour hops, and dark malt. All of the aromas are blended together pretty well, none of them are more prominent than the others. The sour smell is a little of a turn off, but I think that's just the hops making their way through to my nose. There might be a tiny bit of chocolate in here as well, not sure. Overall it's a very nice, robust, deep, malty smell. I think this one will taste pretty good! Yeah it's a good beer, nothing outstanding, but a very solid beer. The sourness is a little more prominent than I would like, and I don't know if it's even from the hops, or what. I don't know what else it would be from though. Coffee flavor is prominent, dark malts are there, and also that sour flavor. Not much else going on other than that, the chocolate is there, but only a tiny tiny bit. The flavor overall is good, but just really nothing too amazing, slightly watery, but not too bad in that category. The mouthfeel is really affecting the flavor for me though, in most cases the mouthfeel and the flavor have absolutely nothing to do with each other, but in this beer they for sure do. The mouthfeel is pretty thin and it just has a gross carbonation to it, that carbonation, mixed with the sour taste just really don't work too well for me. It's nothing traditionally terrible, it's just....really a bad combination. The taste alone isn't bad, but when mixed with the mouthfeel, it's just a bad combination. Overall it's not a bad beer by any means, it's a good beer, and it's only a hair away from being a pretty dang good beer. That carbonation is the biggest problem, other than that it's good.

As this beer progressed the carbonation almost disappeared, that became much less of a problem. The flavor improved and the mouthfeel got smoother, but neither of them were all that much better than what they started out at.

4.1/5  rDev +6.2%

bomber sent by genghis22 thanks again so much for everything...poured into a tulip..

a-pitch black..large frothy three finger head...stayed for a while and left some nice lacing behind as well...the head was really nice

s-lots of big espresso in your face and roast...there is some sweet malt in there to let you know its a beer...if not for that you would think it was a chilled coffee drink

t-another beer that tastes like it smells..lots of big espresso and bitterness up front...the sweet malt lends itself to the middle as well as some bitter hops that sneak in and out quickly...finishes on a dry bitter coffee note

m-thin even for the abv...a little bit more body would have gone a long way on this but it is not too detracting..the carbonation is good and flavors stay for a while..

d-not hard to drink at all ...easy to put away..perhaps too easy...

cheers to james for sending me another great brew...

3.77/5  rDev -2.3%

Bomber into standard pint.

A: Opaque black/deep brown. No light at all coming through. Super gentle pour got no head at all. There is a thin cap of tiny brown bubbles and a decent ring around the glass. Had i been more aggressive the head would have been nice.

S: Coffee and chocolate. Smells like a good mocha. Smells great, very sweet and rich smelling beer. Hint of caramel.

T: Coffee up front, creamy chocolate, then a wash of bitter that makes the chocolate taste more bittersweet and the coffee taste darker. Hops is unnoticeable the bitter seems to come more from the coffee. Tastes good, but I am a fan of espresso stouts.

M: Rich and smooth from the oatmeal. Almost like melted ice cream texture. A good medium-heavy body with a touch of chew, like a stout should. This beer rocks the mouthfeel.

O: Good coffee stout, good oatmeal stout, GOOD STOUT. I have had better but I would certainly buy this again.

Dark midnight with khaki lacing that fades gradually. Smells of all dark roasts with coffee. Yep, certainly a coffee smell there, and that pervades the taste, too. Put an ice cube in it and you can convince me that it is ice coffee. Dangerous!

Taste of coffee is complimented by some hints of dark chocolate, a creaminess that comes from the oats, dark malts that aren't too assertive--not burnt like some other stouts can be. Bitterness fades to an astringent ding that lasts just a second and is the only big ding on the experience. Mouthfeel is light for a stout, but overall a refreshing moderate body.

3.83/5  rDev -0.8%

I have tried this in the past and I hate coffee but my palette has changed. It pours our black and thin but very dark. The foam was a dark brown color and it disappeared almost instantly. Held up to light nothing gets through. The smell, perhaps this is too cold, is coffee. That is it. Not much else going on here. Not that strong. I wonder how old this bottle is. The flavor is delicious. The coffee is more subtle. This has to have aged for just a bit but long enough for some of the flavors to taper down. Basically you get the coffee, burnt ashy malts, smokiness and a hint of chocolate. For the mouthfeel I was a bit let down. This is thin for an oatmeal stout. It is a low alcoholic stout so I would imagine it to be a bit thin, on the medium side of beer mouthfeel but with that low carbonation the flavors linger and and I like that. Overall this is a good beer. I wonder what its like fresh? This bottle has to be a bit older but I like it and since I live near Oregon, I can get this really cheap. Its worth the price. I'll get it again if I want a dark low end beer.

3.7/5  rDev -4.1%

Served from a bottle into an imperial pint glass. This beer is really dark - a dark brown to almost black. It has a nice tanish brown head which leaves a nice lacing. Aroma is dominated by coffee and chocolate hints. The mouthfeel is smooth and creamy with light carbonation. This beer has a lot of flavor with sweet malts and dark coffee. Overall this beer has a lot of flavor and is pretty drinkable. I would recommend trying this beer.

4.02/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

22oz bottle. no bottling info

Pours a solid black body with a light khaki head. Fair retention, Lots of thin lacing

Very prominent scent ! Coffee jumps out first. A little cocoa follows

Taste follows, coffee with cocoa creates a bitter toffee taste.

Feel was really dependent on the temperature. Slightly watery feel at the pour. But as it neared room temperature it became a lot more silky. I went back and forth between giving it a 3.75 or 4.

Overall; The smell really knocked me out ! With no bottling info I don't know if I just got lucky with a fresh one, but the scents were very prominent. My only knock... wish the ABV was higher.

2.48/5  rDev -35.8%

Hmmm. This beer seemed to go through several different 'moods' after it poured, warmed up, and went flat. Have to say, this is the first beer I would have added more hops to, and was better with the carbonation.

Lovely opaque dark brown appearance, but the very minimal creamy head quickly disipated. It did however stick around as a lacey rim.

Smell definitely of malt, although light.

But the taste was definitely malty also. I love malt, and usually wish for fewer hops pungence. But this lacked balance and leaned toward almost malt vinegar-ish. Perhaps this is the 'dry' style, like Guiness. I found it lacked any espresso character, and no hops spiceyness to balance the predominant roasted malt, with no sweetness, or fruity esthers or breadiness... just malt. Like a flat barleywine, barely there. And when it warmed up it was like thin malt vinegar without the acidity...

Mouthfeel was nothing without the soon disipated carbonation to add any tingle. Too thin for me; not creamy at all, and went flat quickly.

Maybe my bottle was skunked. Maybe the added coffee thinned it too much. I just found too much barley malts and not enough balance. Live and learn!

3.87/5  rDev +0.3%

22 oz bomer poured into an Irish pint glass. Reviewed from notes.

A - Pours an opaque black with a small tan head. Head retention was poor. Minimal lacing.

S - Roasted malts and espresso beans. Obviously a coffee aroma exists along with some chocolate notes.

T - Taste follows the nose. Roasted malts, espresso and coffee. A chocolatey aftertaste. Nothing complex but solid.

M - This beer is a little thin IMO. It does have a somewhat creamy feel but could use a bit more. A little less carbonation would help as well.

O - A good espresso stout. Not fantastic but good. I would enjoy another one if I came across it but I wouldn't necessarily seek it out. The mouthfeel was this beer's biggest letdown for me.

3.92/5  rDev +1.6%

Yay! A gift from my Oregonian little sister.

Appearance was a standard stout. Black with thin brown head. Not great retention, a bit of lacing.

Smell was strongly coffee!! And bitter cocoa, roasted barley. But mostly coffee.

Taste was extremely strong in coffee flavors. Slightly burnt coffee (thinking Starbucks style espresso), very roasty, dark cocoa, oatmeal, rich. I like coffee so I like this.

MF: Medium to thick, slightly creamy, a bit chewey

Drinkability: Overall, very good. This was the most straight-forward coffee flavored stouts I've had. Tasty, enjoyable, and reasonable ABV % makes this easy to enjoy. Could be a bit more balanced in flavor, but the point is "espresso stout" and it certainly accomplishes that. I'd recommend.

3.21/5  rDev -16.8%

Pour: Pretty close to a completely black liquid but with some hints of brown reflection. I managed to get a good sized, dark tan, frothy head.

Nose: Mostly bitter espresso with hints of chocolate and roasted malts.

Taste: Pretty straight forward like the nose. I detected good amounts of bitter espresso, roasted dark malts, some baker's chocolate and also some hops.

Mouthfeel: A little bit watery IMO but also somewhat creamy at the same time. This is pretty spot on for being a coffee stout.

Overall: Pretty good for a coffee stout but I tend to lean more towards the bigger, bolder Imperial Coffee Stouts such as Yeti, Speedway, etc. I won't hold that against this beer as they are not the same style. I probably wouldn't search this out again as I enjoyed the Imperial version more. Still good for the style.

Overcast Espresso Stout from Oakshire Brewing