Vortex IPA | Fort George Brewery + Public House

Fort George Brewery + Public House
Oregon, United States
fortgeorgebrewery.com

Style: American IPA

"Our IPA is made with generous additions of Cascade, Simcoe and Palisade hops throughout the brewing, fermentation and conditioning phases, balanced with heaps of organic pale malt. We designed this to not rip your taste buds off your tongue, but rather vigourously stimulate them and your palate into a lupulin-ecstacy of pleasure. During the cross-country truck trip our brewery made to find it's home in Astoria, it was nearly scattered to the cornfields of Nebraska by a tornado. We try to capture some of nature's intensity in every pint."

ABV 7.7% IBU 97

Added by RedDiamond on 07-13-2007

Possibly the best beer I've ever tasted. Great from the Can but "top shelf" from the Tap!

4.92/5  rDev +22.1%

Best IPA with some Citrus flavor to it

4.89/5  rDev +21.3%

Received this beer as an extra in a recent trade. Excited to taste a another beer from Fort George.
A: Pours a vibrant yellow-orange with a monster head that is rocky and creamy and gorgeous. Tones of floaties in the brew, especially at the bottom of the can which I personally love in my IPAs. Perfect lacing rings are formed down the side of the glass as I drink.
S: Remarkable! I get immediate citrus and pine bomb. With candied sugar sweetness to compliment. A little pineapple and caramel malt. Tons of lemon peel and some grassyness as well.
T: Boom! Follows the nose to a tee. You've got the huge hop flavor perfectly balanced with the malt to create an ultimate IPA experience on my taste buds. There is a dankness and earthy greenness to the taste which I love. It's like fresh hop juice with a complementing malt sweetness. Really digging it.
MF: This is what takes this beer to another level for me. Full and creamy with perfect carb. Not too much bitterness, but enough that brings me back to the glass immediately for another sip. I don't feel or taste the alcohol at all which is a major plus.
O: This beer just blew my mind. I recently enjoyed the new 3-Way IPA which is one of the best IPAs I have drank in a long time, but this one surpasses it, which I did not expect. I would rank this easily as one of the top 3 IPAs I have ever had the privilege of enjoying.

4.78/5  rDev +18.6%

Can I say WOWIE!!!????

This is one of the biggest surprises I have EVER had! I was at Horse Brass here in Portland and noticed this IPA which I had never tried and decided to give it a go. Let me just say that this is my second favorite IPA after Pliny the Elder (and in some ways it exceeds the quality of Pliny). I then tasted it from can (at a later date) right next to a bottle of Pliny that I had and I must say that for the hooplah and scarcity of Pliny it almost seems a better deal to seek out the Vortex.

This beer pours a lovely gold/copper hue with brown undertones. The head is thick and persistent. Good effervescence. The nose is fresh and springy with bright hop aromas with plenty of citrus and a touch of IPA yeasty funk to round it out.

The taste follows the nose with lots of green and wonderful hop flavors and oils mixing well with the citrus and spice notes. The alcohol is well integrated (where it slightly beats Pliny), and there is not that jolt of "wow this is strong, it burns my nose" that you get with other IPAs and Imperial IPAs. And though this is listed as a standard IPA, it is surely competition for many Imperial IPAs (7.7% abv!).

The finish is lovely, with the bitter tannins and acids working well and not overpowering the palate.

Fantastic beer and one that will be a go to for many years to come!

4.75/5  rDev +17.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A: Gold, large bubbles

S: Super-hopped. Grapefruit like mad.

T: Really bold grapefruity hops, light malt, nice hop aftertaste. One of the best ones I tried at the festival.

M: Dry, clean, good carbonation, a tad of astringence.

D: Pretty good, very rich, so it's a little hard to drink.

Enjoyed at the Oregon Brewer's Festival 2010

4.67/5  rDev +15.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Pale orange/gold with a nice thick head that leaves behind a ton of lacing on the glass. Aroma is massive amounts of grapefruit hops. Thick and sweet on the tongue, very substantial malt character, followed by a burst of more grapefruity hops. This beer is very substantial, almost chewy! Bitter finish, very dry, makes you want to drink another. When friends tell me they like hoppy beers this is what I suggest. A long-time favorite IPA of mine.

Vortex IPA from Fort George Brewery + Public House