Cavatica Stout | Fort George Brewery + Public House

Fort George Brewery + Public House
Oregon, United States
fortgeorgebrewery.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

The Latin root of Cavatica is cave, crevice, abyss or a dark place. Just like a stout should be.

Added by RedDiamond on 07-15-2007

3.9

2.75/5  rDev -29.5%

2.75/5  rDev -29.5%

2.9/5  rDev -25.6%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

thanks to neighbor chris for this can. dark, dark, dark. flashlight test shows it's thick as night. head dies quickly, just a bit around the rim, leaves a good looking bit of lace. nose of malty goodness, but something odd, like burnt cocoa powder or burnt sugar. taste is showing potential, but, again, something is throwing off what would otherwise be a very nice stout. mouthfeel is pretty good, a nice thickness to it, but i just can't get past the odd flavor. smell and taste get subpar points because even though there it potential here, it's becoming very distracting to deal with the oddness. i hate to say, i ended up not finishing it. i've had better from fort george

3.06/5  rDev -21.5%

3.06/5  rDev -21.5%

16oz can into tulip snifter.

Pours black with a very thick, frothy light brown head.

Aroma is very unique, notes of roast and cocoa, but has a Belgian yeast character with some clove and earthiness.

More clove followed by light cocoa and roast notes.

Medium body with active, prickly carbonation.

Aside from the appearance I gave this an average grade, because while it wasn't an unpleasant beer, it certainly was not what I would expect in an Imperial Stout.

3.1/5  rDev -20.5%

Black and a big brown foamy/frothy head with great retention and lacing. Sharp roasty aroma with a hint of chocolate. Rich cocoa with a roasted finish and linger with some light herbal notes. Balanced sweetness but some light metallic flavors (from the can?). A little tacky in the feel and thin but a light carbonated smooth overall.

An average stout overall and easy drinking but not particularly complex and a little thin. The metallic taste is fleeting so it might have been the can (another can I had from them had a similar taste so it may be their process). I really like the graphics on the can though…

3.18/5  rDev -18.5%

16oz can. Received in a trade. No dating on can so unsure of the age. The bottom of the can is stamped with "RUM".

A: A nice black, thick pour giving me a good expectation for this beer. No noticeable head even with an aggressive pour gives me a little bit of concern.

S: Very surprising. Some dark chocolate but mostly dark fruits and sweetness. No smokiness, roastiness, or coffee evident which is a little surprising for an almost 9% stout.

T: Wow, not what I expected from a stout at all. Very sweet. Get a little bit of chocolate but it is getting drowned out by the sweetness. It's just too much - heavy, sticky, and buttery all at once. I enjoy a nice sweet milk stout, but this is just too much sweetness. Absolutely do not get any of the roast or hop bitterness that other reviews speak of.

M: Full body and thick. Definitely the high point for this beer.

O: I received this beer in a trade so I have no idea of the age on it. The can states that this beer should not be aged, so I highly suspect that I got an old can since I got none of the hop bitterness and roast that other reviews talk about. If my assumption are correct and I got an old can, I highly suggest to others to heed the directions on the can and do not age this beer. It needs the hop bitterness to offset the overly sweet taste that I got from my can.

3.19/5  rDev -18.2%

I do love a good stout when the weather begins to turn cold and damp here in the pacific northwest.
So I picked this one up in a four pack from Pint Defiance in Tacoma on a whim. The prospect of an Imperial Stout was particularly inviting, although I did raise an eyebrow at the 8% abv. So rush home and crack open a can to be transferred to a 16oz pounder. Granted, not ideal, but seems adequate since most beers I am introduced to are from pubs/bars and would be the standard glassware. I digress, The pour yields a thick liquid terminating in a thin bubbly head that quickly fizzles out to a nice lace. A quick deep sniff brings up some fruity, herbal scents, but not too strong.
The first sip is not too pleasant. Maybe the can has some influence as it is a bit metallic, but another sip gives way to some nice dark fruit and caramel flavor,heavy whiskey alcohol punch, then the hops resounds across the palate hanging strong in the front and canceling out some promising flavor profiles. Subsequent sips yield much the same results, though as the beer warms closer to room temp I do find some fruity esters and even a bit of licorice, but that mingles with the alcohol producing a bit of nyquil original flavor. I do want to find those biscuity,malty, caramels that I associate with stout, but I really just think of this as more of the Black IPA style that has been popping up as of late due to the heavy hop situation going on. In that case I would give it some 4's, but it is a stout...
Now to be sure, hoppy is not a bad thing. The hops has a nice refreshing herbal kick, but it seems to overplay the thick malty characteristics of a good stout. I seem to see this amongst the breweries around here lately. The tendency to put too much emPHAsis on the wrong sylLABle i.e. over hopping a beer style that can stand well on its own. I'm not talking down about the brewer, they did a good job and I would certainly try this again when the mood for that Black IPA strikes, but my search for this seasons stout offerings will continue.
(Side Note: One can went to a 16oz pounder, one to a Merlot glass, and one to a 16oz sport mug. One to go alongside some righteous BBQ pork! Hehe!)

3.22/5  rDev -17.4%

3.25/5  rDev -16.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.26/5  rDev -16.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3

REVISION/EDIT : I had another go at this one when my parents went to Washington State, as they brought me back some beers from the area. Definitely don't like it as much as my previous review stated. Pour is beautiful; Nose is the dead on the same; but the flavor leans heavily burnt and hopped. Dark char, coffee, and abundant dry hop make this one drink more like a Black IPA than a stout. Very difficult to finish, scores adjusted accordingly. Not going back again for this one.
---------------
Pours a fairly black color with 100% opacity. It's not quite motor oil as it has shades of brown coming out of the can and as it forms. The head in the chalice is short lived but starts out light brown-beige and settles as moss on top.

The can says I should be smelling more than I am. I get roasted malts and a little coffee. Some citrus hop and light fig action going on in the distance. Medium to weak volume on the bouquet.

Reminiscent of Ten Fidy, this beer delivers in the flavor department. It's strong alright, and brings that Russian stout character in the form of coffee, burnt malt, and notes of chocolate. A few swigs yields some unfriendly antiseptic qualities. Belches though, are pure pine. Strange?

The feel is full bodied and substantial, chewy even... yet incredibly dry, leaving drought in the mouth. Carbonation assists in swallowing the beer like drinking a glass of milk with a PB&J - otherwise it might just get stuck there.

Overall impressions : I guess I would have come back with more of these had I known it was a solid stout. So many of the PNW beers I've had have been hit or miss, and six packs of most of those would have been shameful. However this one I could probably live with, it doesn't quite stand up to Old Rasputin or Plead the 5th, or even Ten Fidy, but it's a solid stout that deserves a place among the champions. I do like this better than FBS, fwiw.

3.3/5  rDev -15.4%

3.38/5  rDev -13.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

3.41/5  rDev -12.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Inky dark brown and leaves a lot of beige foam in the glass. Rather winey and chocolatey. Lots of dark roast and charred malt. Sweet and fruity in an unusual way. Reminds me of persimmons with a little licorice.

A chalky taste comes to mind. Not among the best big stouts I've had. There seems to be an oxidized flavor or something that detracts from the usual smooth sweetness. but it's an interesting grainy and tangy brew. From the 16 oz can purchased at Hondo's Brew & Cork in Astoria.

Cavatica Stout from Fort George Brewery + Public House