Cavatica Stout | Fort George Brewery + Public House

Fort George Brewery + Public House
Oregon, United States
fortgeorgebrewery.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

The Latin root of Cavatica is cave, crevice, abyss or a dark place. Just like a stout should be.

Added by RedDiamond on 07-15-2007

Liked:
3.9/5
Alströms:

3.97/5  rDev +1.8%

Opaque black body with an off white head that quickly dissipates into a thin ring around the glass. The smell is of roast and coffee. Background bitter chocolate and faint sweetness. The taste is like how it smells. Light roast, coffee, background bitter chocolate, and sweetness. The sweetness is dominant. This stout is smooth all-around and the mouthfeel is medium, carbonation is medium-light, and everything blends well together. With this amount of roast, I would expect a bitter aftertaste.

This is a solid stout.

4.5/5  rDev +15.4%

3.18/5  rDev -18.5%

16oz can. Received in a trade. No dating on can so unsure of the age. The bottom of the can is stamped with "RUM".

A: A nice black, thick pour giving me a good expectation for this beer. No noticeable head even with an aggressive pour gives me a little bit of concern.

S: Very surprising. Some dark chocolate but mostly dark fruits and sweetness. No smokiness, roastiness, or coffee evident which is a little surprising for an almost 9% stout.

T: Wow, not what I expected from a stout at all. Very sweet. Get a little bit of chocolate but it is getting drowned out by the sweetness. It's just too much - heavy, sticky, and buttery all at once. I enjoy a nice sweet milk stout, but this is just too much sweetness. Absolutely do not get any of the roast or hop bitterness that other reviews speak of.

M: Full body and thick. Definitely the high point for this beer.

O: I received this beer in a trade so I have no idea of the age on it. The can states that this beer should not be aged, so I highly suspect that I got an old can since I got none of the hop bitterness and roast that other reviews talk about. If my assumption are correct and I got an old can, I highly suggest to others to heed the directions on the can and do not age this beer. It needs the hop bitterness to offset the overly sweet taste that I got from my can.

2.75/5  rDev -29.5%

4.14/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

my can said "rum" on the bottom in black ink, and i got a distinct spice and oak flavor in the beer, but im not sure they have canned the rum edition, it said nothing of the sort on the label, and some of it may be mind games, but this may be a review of the rum barrel version, could not confirm it, so it stays here under the main listing. beautiful stout, my first from fort george. crazy can with all kinds of spiders on it, yikes. the beer itself is dark brown, a little darker than root beer, but not to the hersheys syrup realm. nice frothing burlap colored head too. it smells quite sweet, maybe oatmeal in there, with a cool spice complex thats either from the yeast or from a rum barrel, and im a little surprised that i cant figure out which. the flavor is awesome, so much grain, but no bitterness at all to this roast. not sure how they pull that off, but sweetness abounds in this thing, all from the grain i assume. there is a hint of bittering hops in there, but its inconsequential really. rich feel, dark burnt sugar and candy notes on the thick liquid make it velvet going down, and only minimally boozy, just enough. i have not had much stout like this, and am surprised its not scored higher on here, its so decadent yet easy to drink, a dangerous combination for guys like me. i am infinitely curious about fort george now, and am eager to get my hands on some more of their stuff. this is just great.

Cavatica Stout from Fort George Brewery + Public House