Marzen Project | The Brew Keeper

Availability: Fall

Added by BuckeyeNation on 01-27-2009

Reviews by BuckeyeNation:
3.88/5  rDev 0%

Coppery pumpkin that explodes with jack-o-lantern radiance when backlight with sunshine. The upper quarter of the pint glass is filled with a tight-bubbled crown of foam the color of almond paste. Extensive sheets of terrifically tattered lace put the finishing touches on an attractive, autumnal looking lager.

The aroma is too low on power to earn a good score, although I'll be sure to come back to it once warming has occured (note: it opens up a little). So far it's malt-dominant (natch), with the usual earthy toastedness that Munich malt is known for.

The Brew Keeper continues to cruise right along, releasing good beer after good beer after good beer. I'm not the biggest fan of this style, so the fact that Marzen Project has made me to reach for the 4.0 (flavor score) after several ounces means something. I'm enjoying the subtle, nuanced flavor profile and the overall balance.

The flavor profile consists of lightly toasted bread, lightly baked peanuts, a small handful of hop leaves and a drop of honey. It tastes like there's more pale malt and less Munich than usual, which is more than fine with me. Sweet (which is favored early) and bitter (which is favored late) are in exquisite balance.

One of the things that is impressive about this brewery is that they (he?) always seem to nail mouthfeel. This one is medium-full for the ABV and is as smooth as polished glass. Carbonation is on the low end, which is right where I like it. Well done.

Marzen Project Oktoberfest Styled German Lager is another keeper from The Brew Keeper. It looks as if every single bomber that I brought back from Cleveland last month (the whole case!) is going to be impressive. Great Lakes Oktoberfest has it beat, but man oh man, this is delicious beer. I now feel like raking leaves, but they're buried under two feet of snow at the moment.

2.67/5  rDev 0%

22 oz. bomber bottle with a real life picture of modern windmills. I'm not entirely sure what windmills have to do with a Marzen beer, but it's an interesting choice of a picture. Over the picture is the name of the beer in big black letters with the style of beer directly under it. To the left is the address of the brewery and to the right is a US government warning sticker. It's too bad that the Brew Keeper doesn't date any of their bottles because I would have loved to know how long this bottle was sitting around at the brewery.

Appearance: I decided to pour this Marzen/Oktoberfest into my Imperial Brooklyn Brewery pint glass. This Brew Keeper beer poured a lightly hazy amber orange color. The orange in this beer made the amber look a little reddish. On top of this beer was a 1/2 an inch bubbly head of pure white foam. This bubbly head of foam actually had really good retention that left behind a tiny white skim of foam and one big mustache streak of lace.

Smell: There was one funky aroma emanating from this beer. I honestly hope that not all of these smell like this bottle did. Pray it doesn't! The best way I can describe the aroma is that it smelled like sour peanut butter with a subtle whiff of sour malts and overly salted meats. It was horrible! Swirling the beer around doesn't do this beer any justice. Swirling it around will only increase the scent of these horrible aromas. One whiff of this beer and your head will turn in disgust! Let's hope that this horrible aroma was only isolated to my bottle of Marzen Project.

Taste: Not much going in the taste, but luckily the taste was nothing like the gross sour and salted meat aroma. This Marzen/Oktoberfest was lightly smoky with some toasted and smoked malts, a tiny touch of milk chocolate, a speck of juicy fruits, and a spatter of hops here and there. It didn't have a bad taste, but I can tell you that it was a hella of a lot better than the horrible aroma.

Mouthfeel: This was a light bodied beer with too much carbonation and with a lightly smoky aftertaste of smoked malts, a splash of milk chocolate, and a subtle touch of bitter hops. This smoky aftertaste will dance on your tongue for a few seconds.

Drinkability: If you only look at it and taste it, it's not a bad beer. Now if all of a sudden you decide to smell it, you'll probably not like this beer at all. I would like to try this beer again to see if another bottle tastes and smells like this bottle. Hopefully it doesn't! I'll tell you what. If I do get another bottle, I going to be hesitant when it comes to smelling the beer. I can't see why this was such a bad bottle. I bought it straight from the Brew Keeper back in late December and it's been refrigerated ever since.

Marzen Project from The Brew Keeper