India Red Ale (I.R.A.) | Double Mountain Brewery & Taproom

India Red Ale (I.R.A.)India Red Ale (I.R.A.)
3.78/5
India Red Ale (I.R.A.)India Red Ale (I.R.A.)

Double Mountain Brewery & Taproom
Oregon, United States
doublemountainbrewery.com

Style: American IPA

"The "IRA", as it's known around here, marries a ruby red color and rich body with the hop flavors of an IPA. Our unique ale yeast strain adds a delicious layer of complexity. One of the first beers we made, and an enduring favorite."

Brewed with Gambrinus Organic Pilsner malt, imported crystal malt, Simcoe and Brewers' Gold hops. 6.8% ABV, 55 BU

Added by msubulldog25 on 06-13-2007

4.5/5  rDev +19%

3.84/5  rDev +1.6%

This is my first Red Ale so nothing to compare it to except all the other brews I have enjoyed here in the PNW. The Aroma popped right out of the bottle and the color is an interesting hazy "red"? Just taste differently good to me. great start, the body holds up well and finishes well. My next three buys will be red ales so I can learn a bit more about these brews,

3.5/5  rDev -7.4%

4.09/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I bought a bottle of IRA in a bottle shop. 1 pint .9 ounces. Poured in to a pint glass.

Pours an amber gold color, not sure I would call it red, with a bit of chill haze. Thick creamy white head.

Smell is a faint fruity citrus aroma.

Taste is a sweet bread flavor up front, with a mild bitter citrus finish, with a dry bitter after taste.

Mouthfeel is light in body, crisp and clean.

Overall a pretty good brew. I would have it again, even though I am not crazy about the size of the bottle.

3.77/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours a hazy red with a big off white head and very fine lacing.
Smells of floral hops and grains. Slight pine aroma also.
Tastes of lightly sweet malt and plenty of piney fruity hops. Plenty of depth to the flavors.
Full bodied with good level of carbonation. So well balanced that the finish is moderately bitter.
Overall a fine beer and even better on tap.

3.53/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance- Pours up a very healthy amount of head which appears to have excellent retention. The head is a light tan to light beige while the body is a dark amber with slight maroon hints that appears as a medium to dark amber in the light.

Nose- Very subdued with a hint of creaminess to it. Maybe mild peach or melon, slightly vegetal even. Slight notes of citrus- orange, lemon, maybe even tangerine. Really hard to get much as it's very subtle. Swirling really adds nothing to the picture.

Taste- Starts off a lot breadier than I expect an IPA to, followed by heavy notes of grain and cereal. Some hop notes come in but they are mostly of the pine and resin variety. Slight bitterness that has a little bit of linger. Some citrus (orange mostly, then grapefruit) but it transitions quickly into bittering hops. Lots of earwax. Not bad but I'm getting the sense that this might have a little age on it (maybe 2,3 months on it) because the hops do not have that pop. Above average to good beer but mostly above average. Not really the style of IPA or IRA that I like but competent with no obvious flaws. Grain notes but bitter hop notes remain consistent and rounded. Nice balance and integration but lacks complexity and presence.

Mouthfeel- Flirts with being medium bodied and has a good level of carbonation that hints at a zing but fortunately doesn't deliver. Slight creaminess.

Drinkability- Pretty easygoing but also a little boring. Pretty subdued for an IPA/IRA that tends toward the bitter end of the spectrum. The 4 bucks a bottle, however, will probably render this a one time buy for me.

Overall- Above average to good beer but mostly above average. Very competent but not all that interesting. If this is fresh, it's more of a sessionable ale (at least taste wise) with a bit of a kick. Worth a try.

India Red Ale (I.R.A.) from Double Mountain Brewery & Taproom