The Vaporizer | Double Mountain Brewery & Taproom

The VaporizerThe Vaporizer

Double Mountain Brewery & Taproom
Oregon, United States
doublemountainbrewery.com

Style: American Pale Ale (APA)

"THE VAPORIZER" is a golden-hued Pale Ale that features a beautifully hoppy aroma and flavor. The malt is 100% Gambrinus Pilsner, our sweet and supple house malt from Gambrinus Malting in British Columbia. The hops are primarily of the Challenger variety, grown on a single farm in the Yakima Valley. We dry-hop "THE VAPORIZER" to pump up the hoppy goodness. It's an appetizingly dry, clean and pure-tasting take on a hoppy Pale Ale."

Brewed with Gambrinus Pilsner malt and Challenger hops. 6% ABV, 50 BU

Added by msubulldog25 on 06-04-2009

3.6

4.8/5  rDev +33.3%

We went to this brewery (Double Mountain) only after we wanted to try another brewery after Full Sail. Not only were we impressed their food (try the truffle shuffle pizza) but their beer was excellent. I started with the I.R.A., and ended with, my now favorite I.P.A., Vaporizer. If you are going to visit Mt. Hood, Double Mountain is a must.

4.71/5  rDev +30.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

4.67/5  rDev +29.7%

A nice, light APA with a crisp, clean feel. Slight bitterness at the tail end. Yellow color with a thin head. Had it on tap in a pint glass.

4.64/5  rDev +28.9%

4.5/5  rDev +25%

On draught at Double Mountain's 3rd Anniversary party (I think they said this was from last fall, so ~6 months old). Served in an imperial pint, The Vaporizer is a cloudy straw yellow with a white head that leaves nice lace.

Smell is floral and fruity, sweet.

Taste is also very fruity, huge citrus lemon like hops and very floral esters, in addition to yeast flavor. Sweet, with light bitterness. I love it, but it's tastes (as well as looks ,smells and feels) a lot like a Belgian Wit beer with lots cascade (or perhaps amarillo's or pacific gems) hops, which I'm sure is not what most people except from an IPA.

Mouthfeel is smooth and light. I'd guess there might be oatmeal in here, which again has me suspecting a wit as the base beer.

Drinkability is great. I love the lazer like focus of the lemony hops, and I love wit beers, so this really works for me. However, I can understand how IPAs lovers may not be thrilled with this take on the style.

4.5/5  rDev +25%

A more different and special taste than I was expecting.

4.39/5  rDev +21.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.3/5  rDev +19.4%

This was the rotating tap at www.kebaba.com (Great lebanese food, beautiful garden-patio, very family friendly).

I'm impressed with Double Mountain, and this SMaSH is no exception (Gambrinus Pils and Yakima Challenger).

A: Clear yellow, white head, good retention & lace.

S: Fresh leafy, grassy hops with hints of resiny pine and marmalade.

T: Plenty of fresh flavour (leafy, grassy, slightly resiny pine), pleasant bitterness (wouldn't have guessed it was 50 IBU) with a light biscuit from the malt. The alcohol is completely hidden, I'd never guess it was 6% either. Really well-crafted for a seemingly simple brew.

M: Light to moderate body has a dry finish.

D: Like hops? I really didn't think I was a fan of Challenger, but this has inspired me to try a homebrew of my own. Really great stuff. I could easily session this one (so it'd be great to have 5 gallons of my own!).

4.2/5  rDev +16.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.19/5  rDev +16.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

4.18/5  rDev +16.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Review #300 goes to a great beer from my old hometown!

Poured a bright and somewhat hazy straw yellow into a pint glass with a finger of fluffy white head. Somewhat dry aroma with a little bit of grain and lots of spicy, floral hops.

Moderate carbonation and a fairly light mouthfeel. Dry, toasty malts mixed with a little grass and lots of pine and floral hops throughout. Strong, lingering hop bitterness on the finish with some spicier pepper notes.

Packed with hoppy goodness but also balanced, light, and really easy-drinking. I tried this along with an oak-aged double-IPA but this one stole the show.

4.16/5  rDev +15.6%

On tap at Concordia Ale house, served in a standard pint glass.

Poured a cloudy golden almost copper color with a white head. Very floral citrus aroma to the the nose. As I took a sip, it was a tangy yet refreshing hop taste on the tongue.

Beer is very good for IPA lovers, but may be to hoppy for the average joe beer drinker.

The Vaporizer from Double Mountain Brewery & Taproom