Fegley's Bourbon Barrel Aged Insidious | Allentown Brew Works

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Added by MerryTapster on 12-19-2011

4.15/5  rDev +2.7%

4.23/5  rDev +4.7%

Appearance: Pours fudge brown with a nice bubble show that layers into a sturdy tan head; a few shards a lace stick to the glass

Smell: Chocolate, slightly charred oak, vanilla and Bourbon

Taste: Chocolate and Bourbon tones intermingle, with caramel and vanilla adding sweetness; in the mid-palate, the booziness increases; after the swallow, there are hints of coffee and oak that join the other flavors to produce a balanced finish

Mouthfeel: Medium to full body with moderate carbonation; others have complained that it is too thin and while that may be true compared to the biggest beers in the category, it still works for this beer

Overall: This beer flies well under the radar but is really good; it is head and shoulders above the other beers I have tried from this brewery (some of which have been pretty good)

Thanks, sj3324, for the opportunity

4.48/5  rDev +10.9%

3.5/5  rDev -13.4%

3.63/5  rDev -10.1%

4.5/5  rDev +11.4%

4.75/5  rDev +17.6%

3.64/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured out into a tulip, about a finger of great looking mocha head. Smells like milk chocolate, some vanilla and faint dark fruits(raisins, fig). From the look and smell alone, really excited to try this. Tastes of creamy milk chocolate, a slight bitter chocolate undertone and an oaky finish. I'm not picking up any bourbon in this which depending on how you look at it could be a good thing or a bad thing. Mouth feel is on the thinner side with pretty good carb. Overall, I like my bourbon barrel beers to taste like bourbon. This fell flat for me in taste and mouth feel. More like a milk stout. I had such I hopes after the appearance and smell of it. Still worth trying, but below a top tier BA stout for me. Good comparison beer, Dragon's Milk.

4.5/5  rDev +11.4%

4.18/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This beer always intrigued me every time I went into liquor store but always passed over with having the likes of the more popular BA stouts already. I mean, how good could it be if I've never heard of it? Man was I wrong!

Pours black with a 1+ finger light khaki head (albeit with a somewhat aggressive pour)

Smell is dominated by chocolate, slight bourbon and smokey as well.

First taste...brought me back to my childhood when my grandmother made me chocolate Coke. This is what a grown up version would be. Chocolate again is the forefront but with a complimenting bourbon, vanilla, smoke that is spot on with the chocolate overtone. Slight drying hop bitterness that plays beautifully with the slight sweetness of the beer.

Mouth feel is awesome as there's just the right amount of carbonation to deliver the flavors. Not thick or chewy but at 9%, this is pretty much dead on what should be for the style and abv.

Overall I was pretty impressed with this brew. Is it up with the likes of parabola and bcbs? Not necessarily but it's not as far behind as you'd think. Definitely worthy of that next tier and a very tasty offering that took me totally off guard from a (somewhat) local brewery.

4.11/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Received this as an extra in a trade, got to love getting bourbon barrel aged goodness as a surprise I'm a trade. 12 oz bottle poured into snifter.

A: Pours a very dark black with only a thin layer of off-white head that disappears quickly. Viscosity looks fairly thin compared to my benchmark for the style, but this is expected with a relatively low ABV.
S: The aroma is very subtle, I have to swill the glass to get a decent nose out of it. What comes through strongest is the bourbon, followed by a roast or burnt presence. I love what I, getting, just wish it was stronger!
T: Bourbon and chocolate dominate up front. In the middle I get the roasted malt and some charred oak. The finish is a smooth lingering bourbon taste that I really enjoy.
M: Carbed well, which I'm surprised after seeing the pour yield almost no head. It does feel a little thin, but again, it's a moderate 9% ABV, so this doesn't surprise me. Leaves a slightly dry aftertaste.
O: This is a very smooth drinking bourbon barrel aged stout. I always compare to my benchmark for certain styles, and this is a style that has it pretty rough for the unheralded players. For being a surprise brew, and 1 I have never heard of, I am very impressed with how well this comes together. Great balance, and very smooth.

Fegley's Bourbon Barrel Aged Insidious from Allentown Brew Works