Fegley's Bourbon Barrel Aged Insidious | Allentown Brew Works

4.5/5  rDev +11.4%

3.5/5  rDev -13.4%

4.2/5  rDev +4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

poured from a 12oz bottle into a standard pint glass. Snifter in the sink. No bottled dating could be found

Poured jet black with a caramel colored 1-2 fingered head. This thinned out to a covering quite quickly.

Smell was amazing. Reminded me of Thirsty Dog's Wulver. Vanilla, dried fruits, bourbon. Very appetizing.

Taste was also excellent. All the above flavors came through. A very enjoyable drink to finish off the evening.

Mouth was a bit of a letdown. Though I certainly enjoyed rolling the beer around my tongue, the beer was a bit on the thin side, and did not get that comforting alcohol soft burn feeling that I get with the better BBA stouts.

Overall, I can certainly recommend this beer. Not the best BBA stout out there, but certainly very enjoyable.

3.96/5  rDev -2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

4.25/5  rDev +5.2%

2.25/5  rDev -44.3%

4.07/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

I sampled a 12 oz bottle of this beer poured into a snifter at cellar temperature. The beer pours a dark cola brown with minimal tan head foaming up and fading quickly to nothing.
Aroma is dark brown sugar and molasses, some burnt coffee and a little vanilla and bourbon. The nose is not overpowering but is enjoyable.
First sip reveals a thick body with mild rolling carbonation. The beer exhibits a rich hearty texture.
Flavor is all malt with molasses and coffee grounds mixing with roast malt and some lingering bourbon on the finish.
I dont really get much from the booze or any hops to speak of in this beer.
There is a bit of stickiness on my lips and palate after each swallow and the roasted malt lingers too.
I enjoy this beer and find it highly drinkable. I would buy it again if I found a bottle.

3.5/5  rDev -13.4%

3.52/5  rDev -12.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.75

This was poured into a Dogfish Head Signature glass.

A: Poured into the glass with a nice oily black color. The tan head that resulted was small and dissipated quite quickly.

S: I definitely get the bourbon in the nose with hints of dark fruit.

T: Bourbon taste right away on the front end, with the dark fruit and a little booziness lingering at the end. Pretty solid!

M: The mouthfeel on this guy is ok. I was hoping for something creamier and smoother.

O: Overall, this beer is pretty solid. I don't think I'll be buying a case of it anytime soon, but nonetheless a solid bourbon barrel-aged imperial stout.

4.5/5  rDev +11.4%

4.27/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 3 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured into my Bell's snifter.

Jet black a very small tan head. The head disappeared as fast as a head on a 7-up, you could hear the bubbles fizzing away, gone in 60 seconds. After a few minuets there wasn't a bubble to be found. No lacing either, the beer looked oily on the walls of the glass. The smell was mostly bourbon and roasted coffee. Taste was the same, boozy, burnt coffee or espresso and had a light alcohol warmth going down. The flavors are just what you would expect for a bourbon aged beer. It made a good sipper. This was my third style from Fegley's and I have enjoyed them all!

Fegley's Bourbon Barrel Aged Insidious from Allentown Brew Works