Landshark Lager | Margaritaville Brewing Co.

poor

Added by BeerAdvocate on 01-17-2007

Reviews: 474 | Ratings: 1,797
2.18/5  rDev -15.5%
look: 2 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Pour is a nice yellow with some carbonation and small foamy head. Had the traditional grain smell, little soapy with a mild skunk mixed in. Taste is simple, very light and easy drinking. Notes of grain, mild hops, corn, and grass. Finish is light and clean, easy to sip all day in the hot sun without leaving you too out of it. I would snag this on the beach for sure plus have to give Mr Buffett a little love.
Cheers.

3.16/5  rDev +22.5%

nice clear golden appearance with a nice white head that quickly recedes and leaves some lace. notes of sweet grain, hay, skunk, etc. not the best, but easy drinking and very light bodied. ideal for a hot day.

2.53/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

From a bottle, it pours a clear straw with a white fizzy head. Faint aroma of corn. You know it's a Summer beer when the carbonation is more pronounced than either the malt or the hops. Mouth feel is thin. OK, as Summer fare, but nothing special.

3.74/5  rDev +45%

I enjoy Landshark every now and then. It's decently priced for the quality and is refreshing on a hot day. I'd compare it to Corona Extra with less skunkyness. Mind you this review is coming from someone who usually drinks stouts. This is one of my 2-3 go to cheap light tasting beers.

1.98/5  rDev -23.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 2

I was going to be all cute and stuff...but for a macro lager, this looks incredible. It features a lustrous straw colored body (maaaaybe a bit on the light side), plus a big and fluffy white colored head that has good retention and excellent lacing to boot! But when it comes to the aroma...oh yeah, I'm going to be cute. Dem cooked veggies and cotton candy notes doe! There's actually a touch of palpable, nuanced malt coming through, too bad that's ruined by a distinct petroleum character that rears its ugly head once this opens up. I actually taste some pleasant maltiness to start - too bad the finish is cheap and littered with cooked veggies, corn, and cotton candy. The feel is way too heavy for a simplistic refresher, but at least it's not overcarbonated. Well, it has more flavor than a typical BMC brew, but no way I would want one of these over a Pilsner Urquell or Bohemia. In fact, I'll likely never have it again (because let's be honest, who's going to bring this to a party instead of the more ubiquitous BMC or hipster-baity Schlitz/PBR?)

1.98/5: Wasting away again in Margaritaville wouldn't be a good thing if this was the only libation available

1.7/5  rDev -34.1%

I found these on sale at the local supermarket, buy one six pack get another free. I had never tried it so I though why not. I soon found out why not. When I got home I fixed a late dinner and had a couple of these. About two hours later I thought I was going to get sick. This lasted for a couple of hours, then tailed off to just a weak nausea.

I still had ten of these in the refrigerator, so a couple of days later I thought I would have one. I was giving it the benefit of the doubt. One more was enough to convince me. This stuff is vile.

It has a somewhat sweet taste. This makes me think it's loaded with high fructose corn syrup, something that many American beers now have. I have never experienced nausea before from HFCS, so I am thinking there are some other vile chemicals in here as well. My recommendation: Avoid this swill.

1.55/5  rDev -39.9%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.75

L - pale yellow, lots of foamy head but disappeared quick
S - sour smell, not very appealing - not so much noticeable if drinking directly from the bottle
T - not so much has of a taste while drinking it; aftertaste a little unusual (its just not for me)

Overall - There's better options but 'ok' for a hot afternoon.

2.31/5  rDev -10.5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

Lands hark pours pee yellow with no head. Skunk smell. Taste is a little skunky, malty, and corn flavors. Okay feel. Overall nothing special, not the worst.

2.05/5  rDev -20.5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 1.75

landshark is landshark, the best mexican-style lager you can get (but that really doesnt say much since mexican-style lagers suck). drink near a beach or pool, or dont drink it at all.

1.79/5  rDev -30.6%
look: 1 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

The color is that of urine on a morning of recovery, with almost a neon glow. The smell is that of an unfriendly skunk rolling in a barley field. Taste is that of a beer trying to be something that it's ingredients simply cannot accomplish. This is not a poor man's corona, it's a maggot's corona.

2.43/5  rDev -5.8%

I definitely agree with the rest of you who compare this to Corona. My wife who actually spit out a mouthful of Dogfish 90 loves this stuff. Need I say more? If I want to be refreshed on a hot day, MAYBE, if there's nothing else around. But I'd rather have a gin and tonic...

3.02/5  rDev +17.1%

Not a bad beer at all really. I mean yes it's better with a slice of lime but on a hot day this cold beer and lime hit the spot. It is now being distributed locally by the Brick brewing company in Kitchener Ontario.

2.5/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a chill hazed bright golden yellow.

Slight tart note and bready malts.

Toasted malt and slight acidity.

Light-bodied, medium carbonation.

Overall, goes down like water basically because it is.

3.15/5  rDev +22.1%

Beers like this remind of me of why lime wedges are so popular.

Straightforward, light flavor, low malt/hops AAL with catchy packaging. Nothing to write home about, or even bring home for that matter, just another inoffensive beer.

Beach brew.

3.6/5  rDev +39.5%

dont buy this beer in a bottle!!!!!!!!!they are 1$ for a 16oz can that has not seen much light.this is the best tasting beer i have ever bought for 1$also folks say they smell fish but this beer is vegan and doesnt use isinglass in the brewing process.im very surprised by the responses on here.im also blown away that anyone who drinks beer and is into the flavor would buy any beer in a clear or semi-clear bottle.that is wild stuff.i will go without beer before i drink one out of a clear bottle.

2.71/5  rDev +5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

A: Crystal clear golden straw colr, 1 inch white head, little lacing

S: Bread malts, slight hint of hops and a little skunkiness

T: Sweet brad malts, a little fruity like a crisp apple, slight hop bitterness and a slight skunkiness

M: Light, crisp, dry

O: Not a total flop, it has more taste than lots of other macro brews, but I would prefer a red stripe or Stella to this

2.75/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 3 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

I knew what I was getting when I bought this beer, (I mean it says island style beer right on it). I expected something like a Corona. This beer is not anything special. It does taste like a Corona (I like Corona ). It's very refreshing, it does have a nice taste, and it goes down with ease. Like other people have said, this beer would be great after working all day in the heat. Oh yeah the smell is not that bad, as other people have said it smells like a skunk, I don't smell it. Enjoy.

1.35/5  rDev -47.7%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

My wife loves this beer, and she hates beer. Taste is like a weak Corona. 2 lime minimum just to be palatable, Jimmy Buffet's corporate whoriness is showing

1.63/5  rDev -36.8%

The first word that comes to mind when smelling this beer is "Stank". I assumed it would have a pungent taste given the smell, but nope, it surprises you by not tasting like much of anything. Its so bland. Pretty awful. Its trying to be a Corona knock off and failing miserably, just drink a corona.

2.63/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Margaritaville Brewing Co. - Landshark Lager. 4.7% ABV. 12oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Bottled on 11/24/15 (code 15310)

Look: Settles as a pale golden color, shortly retaining a small white fizzy head.

Smell: Typical barley/rice and corn sweetness. Skunky beyond belief.

Feel: Light bodied and watery, good amount of carbonation and easy to drink.

Taste: Skunky barley/rice and sweet corn that lingers.

Overall: Pretty standard for an American Adjunct Lager. Nothing but grain, corn, and water. This was the skunkiest beer I've had, I guess partially due to the age, and clear bottle.

3.76/5  rDev +45.7%

Landshark Lager - Margaritaville Brewing Co. Poured from the bottle into a pint glass, this beer's head is 1/2 finger thick, with surprisingly decent lacing, and a clear golden body.

It smells...SKUNKED. Thanks clear bottle, ya joik.

Once you get past the skunk taste, its alot like a Busch with more adjunct sweetness.

The mouthfeel here is light and clean.

Overall, I'll choose to give Landshark Lager - Margaritaville Brewing Co. a 4. If it weren't skunked, this honestly wouldn't be too bad on a sweltering day after working outside for a few hrs.

2.68/5  rDev +3.9%

Very attractive bottle and cap. This is not one of the best smelling beers I've had. I never think this, but when I'm drinking it around friends they often say they smell fish. There is a very light head when first poured and will lace your glass after being consumed. Very watery, but is crisp. At times, it almost reminds me of a soda with the amount of carbonation present. Best served ice cold and enjoyed in warm weather. This beer is definitely overpriced and isn't something I'd keep the fridge stocked with at all times or anything. If you are heading out for a day at the pool or beach, I would definitely consider packing the cooler with it every now and then.

2.04/5  rDev -20.9%
look: 2 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.25

Bought this because my cousin had it and said it was "alright".

Look: I didn't pour mine into a glass, it's a clear bottle, so I can see its color. From first glance it looks like a gold, but if you hope it up to the light, or in my case the bright snow reflecting the light of the sun through this clouds as it is snowing quite heavily today, the color is more of a pale yellow, similar to pee. if you're moderately hydrated. Since I did not pour it, I can no comment on any foam head, but I imagine by its feel that there isn't much of one.

Smell: Smells light, maybe even a slight citrus, smell, lime maybe. Not unpleasant but gives a clear indicator of what it may taste like.

Taste: I can tell you right away exactly what it tastes like: Corona Extra, they're virtually the same, however I find the Landshark to be less offensive to my tastes. Though without a doubt these two are of the same "class" as shown on the right side of the page, the rest are different - though they may be classified the same here - Landshark and Corona Extra are the only two so close in style and taste.

Feel: The best part about it, and similar to its cousin of the same style, despite not being very tasteful and light beers, it is lightly/light moderately carbonated and very easy to drink down. It just rolls down so easily, too bad it lacks a better flavor.

Overall: I'm not disappointed with my purchase, and it's okay enough that I can finish the pack, though I'm not sure I would buy it again. Has a neat name, and isn't offensive to my tastes, but it's lacking in body and I like a more fully taste to my beers.

Landshark Lager brewed by Margaritaville Brewing Co , with an ABV of 4.70% This brew pours out a nice golden amber color with a small white head. The smell of Landshark Lager is rich with grains and malts. You do pick up some skunkyness in the smell of this brew from the hops. This brew has the look and smell of some American Adjunct Lagers on the market. Not saying that is a bad thing. The taste is rich with grains and malts. You pick up a hit of hops in the taste. There is a lot going on in Landshark. The mouth feel of Landshark Lager is bold,rich, clean, and smooth. Landshark Lager has a nice balance to it, there is nothing overpowering about this brew. There is also nothing bad about this brew. I like how smooth this brew is, it goes down nice. Overall I'm giving Landshark Lager a 4 out of 5. I would buy this brew again, it is a smooth drinking brew. Margaritaville Brewing Co. , did a nice job with this one.

This is no more an island lager than a Milwaukee's Best. Pours the color of pee with a small white head with not much lacing. Tastes like horse feed brewed in hog water. I won't buy this again. Terrible excuse for brew! Tastes like Colt45 malt liquor meets miller lite.

Landshark Lager from Margaritaville Brewing Co.