Landshark Lager | Margaritaville Brewing Co.

poor

Style: American Adjunct Lager

Added by BeerAdvocate on 01-17-2007

Reviews: 480 | Ratings: 1,826
3.25/5  rDev +26%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I purchased it from my favorite ghetto store for 6.99 a 12 pack. I am sure that it was outdated. It poured a light yellow with plenty of head. It was very cold. It has been a while when I had a beer in a clear bottle with a twist off. For an inexpensive beer I thought that it was pretty descent. It tasted like a light beer (4.6 ABV) but it was tasty. Best description I can make is that it tasted like a light version of a Boston Lager. I could see myself sitting in a park on a hot day crushing them (with a designated driver). For the price I am in. Beats a Coors light hands down.

3.46/5  rDev +34.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bought as part of the liscense with Canadian Brick Brewing. Pours a straw yellow body with some minimal head, and evidently effervescent carbonation. The aroma has some faint alcohol, a touch of sharp hoppiness, and then the rest being a clean barley malt bill. The taste is mainly just malty, but still crisp with a bit of noble hops. The sweetness is moderately sweet though nowhere near too much, just generally good. The beer is fairly dry and definitely easy drinking, overall this is a pretty good experience, and a great super bowl beer to pair with wings.

1.94/5  rDev -24.8%
look: 2 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2

This beer had an extremely light gold color, with an almost sour smell that reminded me of an old corona. The taste was very watery and heavily carbonated, no hint of hops and a slight taste of sweet grain. When it comes to a summer beer corona has this beat by a mile. Way too carbonated and flavorless.

4.4/5  rDev +70.5%

Some of you "experts" who apparently think that a beer in a clear bottle is automatically gonna be skunky?! And some of you think every beer in a clear bottle must be compared to Corona? Why? Is Corona so effin special? Landshark Lager is a good beer. Usually not hoppy enough for my taste, maybe a bit too sweet of a finish. But smooth, and for fook's sake not swill like some have posted. Let's give some credit where it's due.

2.78/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

473 ml can served into a pint glass. Leftovers from a family gathering.

Appearance - Pale golden color, initially a decent finger and change of white head is poured, but when I turned back around the head was gone. No lacing to speak of.

Smell - Not much here, some faint grainy notes and nothing offensive.

Taste - Some clean grainy flavors and the adjuncts don't leap out of the glass at you. Decent enough and I can imagine this being better in the hot weather.

Mouthfeel - Light bodied, but lacking just a bit in carbonation. A bit of a chalky finish too.

Overall - A decent AAL that is better than some and worse than some. Wouldn't turn one down on a hot day, but would otherwise pass.

2.18/5  rDev -15.5%
look: 2 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Pour is a nice yellow with some carbonation and small foamy head. Had the traditional grain smell, little soapy with a mild skunk mixed in. Taste is simple, very light and easy drinking. Notes of grain, mild hops, corn, and grass. Finish is light and clean, easy to sip all day in the hot sun without leaving you too out of it. I would snag this on the beach for sure plus have to give Mr Buffett a little love.
Cheers.

3.16/5  rDev +22.5%

nice clear golden appearance with a nice white head that quickly recedes and leaves some lace. notes of sweet grain, hay, skunk, etc. not the best, but easy drinking and very light bodied. ideal for a hot day.

2.53/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

From a bottle, it pours a clear straw with a white fizzy head. Faint aroma of corn. You know it's a Summer beer when the carbonation is more pronounced than either the malt or the hops. Mouth feel is thin. OK, as Summer fare, but nothing special.

3.74/5  rDev +45%

I enjoy Landshark every now and then. It's decently priced for the quality and is refreshing on a hot day. I'd compare it to Corona Extra with less skunkyness. Mind you this review is coming from someone who usually drinks stouts. This is one of my 2-3 go to cheap light tasting beers.

1.98/5  rDev -23.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2 | overall: 2

I was going to be all cute and stuff...but for a macro lager, this looks incredible. It features a lustrous straw colored body (maaaaybe a bit on the light side), plus a big and fluffy white colored head that has good retention and excellent lacing to boot! But when it comes to the aroma...oh yeah, I'm going to be cute. Dem cooked veggies and cotton candy notes doe! There's actually a touch of palpable, nuanced malt coming through, too bad that's ruined by a distinct petroleum character that rears its ugly head once this opens up. I actually taste some pleasant maltiness to start - too bad the finish is cheap and littered with cooked veggies, corn, and cotton candy. The feel is way too heavy for a simplistic refresher, but at least it's not overcarbonated. Well, it has more flavor than a typical BMC brew, but no way I would want one of these over a Pilsner Urquell or Bohemia. In fact, I'll likely never have it again (because let's be honest, who's going to bring this to a party instead of the more ubiquitous BMC or hipster-baity Schlitz/PBR?)

1.98/5: Wasting away again in Margaritaville wouldn't be a good thing if this was the only libation available

1.7/5  rDev -34.1%

I found these on sale at the local supermarket, buy one six pack get another free. I had never tried it so I though why not. I soon found out why not. When I got home I fixed a late dinner and had a couple of these. About two hours later I thought I was going to get sick. This lasted for a couple of hours, then tailed off to just a weak nausea.

I still had ten of these in the refrigerator, so a couple of days later I thought I would have one. I was giving it the benefit of the doubt. One more was enough to convince me. This stuff is vile.

It has a somewhat sweet taste. This makes me think it's loaded with high fructose corn syrup, something that many American beers now have. I have never experienced nausea before from HFCS, so I am thinking there are some other vile chemicals in here as well. My recommendation: Avoid this swill.

1.49/5  rDev -42.2%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.75

L - pale yellow, lots of foamy head but disappeared quick
S - sour smell, not very appealing - not so much noticeable if drinking directly from the bottle
T - not so much has of a taste while drinking it; aftertaste a little unusual (its just not for me)

Overall - There's better options but 'ok' for a hot afternoon.

2.31/5  rDev -10.5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

Lands hark pours pee yellow with no head. Skunk smell. Taste is a little skunky, malty, and corn flavors. Okay feel. Overall nothing special, not the worst.

2.05/5  rDev -20.5%
look: 1.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 1.75

landshark is landshark, the best mexican-style lager you can get (but that really doesnt say much since mexican-style lagers suck). drink near a beach or pool, or dont drink it at all.

1.79/5  rDev -30.6%
look: 1 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

The color is that of urine on a morning of recovery, with almost a neon glow. The smell is that of an unfriendly skunk rolling in a barley field. Taste is that of a beer trying to be something that it's ingredients simply cannot accomplish. This is not a poor man's corona, it's a maggot's corona.

2.43/5  rDev -5.8%

I definitely agree with the rest of you who compare this to Corona. My wife who actually spit out a mouthful of Dogfish 90 loves this stuff. Need I say more? If I want to be refreshed on a hot day, MAYBE, if there's nothing else around. But I'd rather have a gin and tonic...

3.02/5  rDev +17.1%

Not a bad beer at all really. I mean yes it's better with a slice of lime but on a hot day this cold beer and lime hit the spot. It is now being distributed locally by the Brick brewing company in Kitchener Ontario.

2.5/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a chill hazed bright golden yellow.

Slight tart note and bready malts.

Toasted malt and slight acidity.

Light-bodied, medium carbonation.

Overall, goes down like water basically because it is.

3.15/5  rDev +22.1%

Beers like this remind of me of why lime wedges are so popular.

Straightforward, light flavor, low malt/hops AAL with catchy packaging. Nothing to write home about, or even bring home for that matter, just another inoffensive beer.

Beach brew.

3.6/5  rDev +39.5%

dont buy this beer in a bottle!!!!!!!!!they are 1$ for a 16oz can that has not seen much light.this is the best tasting beer i have ever bought for 1$also folks say they smell fish but this beer is vegan and doesnt use isinglass in the brewing process.im very surprised by the responses on here.im also blown away that anyone who drinks beer and is into the flavor would buy any beer in a clear or semi-clear bottle.that is wild stuff.i will go without beer before i drink one out of a clear bottle.

2.71/5  rDev +5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

A: Crystal clear golden straw colr, 1 inch white head, little lacing

S: Bread malts, slight hint of hops and a little skunkiness

T: Sweet brad malts, a little fruity like a crisp apple, slight hop bitterness and a slight skunkiness

M: Light, crisp, dry

O: Not a total flop, it has more taste than lots of other macro brews, but I would prefer a red stripe or Stella to this

2.75/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 3 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

I knew what I was getting when I bought this beer, (I mean it says island style beer right on it). I expected something like a Corona. This beer is not anything special. It does taste like a Corona (I like Corona ). It's very refreshing, it does have a nice taste, and it goes down with ease. Like other people have said, this beer would be great after working all day in the heat. Oh yeah the smell is not that bad, as other people have said it smells like a skunk, I don't smell it. Enjoy.

1.35/5  rDev -47.7%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

My wife loves this beer, and she hates beer. Taste is like a weak Corona. 2 lime minimum just to be palatable, Jimmy Buffet's corporate whoriness is showing

1.63/5  rDev -36.8%

The first word that comes to mind when smelling this beer is "Stank". I assumed it would have a pungent taste given the smell, but nope, it surprises you by not tasting like much of anything. Its so bland. Pretty awful. Its trying to be a Corona knock off and failing miserably, just drink a corona.

2.63/5  rDev +1.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Margaritaville Brewing Co. - Landshark Lager. 4.7% ABV. 12oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Bottled on 11/24/15 (code 15310)

Look: Settles as a pale golden color, shortly retaining a small white fizzy head.

Smell: Typical barley/rice and corn sweetness. Skunky beyond belief.

Feel: Light bodied and watery, good amount of carbonation and easy to drink.

Taste: Skunky barley/rice and sweet corn that lingers.

Overall: Pretty standard for an American Adjunct Lager. Nothing but grain, corn, and water. This was the skunkiest beer I've had, I guess partially due to the age, and clear bottle.

Landshark Lager from Margaritaville Brewing Co.