Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Hurricane Reef Caribbean Pilsner | Florida Beer Company

Style: American Pale Lager

Added by UnionMade on 09-19-2001

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | nextlast

3.7/5  rDev +33.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I had a couple of bottles of this on a recent trip to Orlando. Not my favorite lager but not terrible either.

Appearance was lighter than an amber, darker than a pilsner. Good carbonation that didn't go away too fast.

Aroma was slightly malty with some grassy notes.

Flavor was decent and refreshing but nothing out of the ordinary. Not a bad end of the work day beer but nothing I would seek out on my own.

Overall, nothing really to complain about but it just didn't stand out in any way.

3.11/5  rDev +12.3%

Hurricane Reef from Florida Beer Company was the second bottle of healing needed after tonights hockey game. The color is a mild cloudy golden…thin, almost non-existent head. Not much to sniff, maybe some grain. The taste is decent. There is a slight citrus to this beer that tastes pretty good. Very good mouthfeel and I could certainly spend some time on a beach drinking this treat. It is interesting….I did not know Caribbean Style Pilsner was even a genre.

A - Poured a golden color with a white head that leaves lacing behind

S - Has a light smell of pale malt with some grassy hops

T - Follows the nose slightly sweet malt with a touch of grassy hops

M - This beer has a medium body with medium carbonation to it

D - This really isn't a bad beer its just very average so nothing really sets it apart from other lagers out there buts its decently easy to drink I could drink a few of these while hanging out with friends

2.46/5  rDev -11.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

I can't say I'll be terribly sad to see my beer of the month subscription come to an end... but it's certainly helped me recalibrate my tastes!

This brew pours a rich, golden hue with some thick white head and tight bubbles, but holds only moderate retention and lacing. Still better than the macros.

On the nose this is slight, hints of stale cracker and some honey notes coming from what little hops there are and the pale malt base.

This is... not offensive on the palate, but it's one-dimensional and overly sweet, the malt is not nearly complex enough to stand on its own with so little hop backing, and it comes up short for it.

The carbonation seems right, but it's distinctly medium bodied and sweet up front, which leaves this feeling less refreshing than it should be. It's EASY to drink, and there's no off flavors, so a slight bump on drinkability, I'd take one of these over a Bud, but as a growing aficianado of GOOD pale lagers... this is not one of them.

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into my new Portsmouth tulip.

a - Pours a somewhat transparent golden color with one finger of white head and moderate carbonation evident.

s - Smells of bready malts, sour fruity malts, grain, and some wheat. Wow, the sour fruit and bready malts combine into a truly awful smell. It just smelled skunked, but I don't think the beer has gone bad; I think this is how it is supposed to smell.

t - Tastes of wheat malts, some fruity malts, grain, and light citrus. Not as bad as the smell but quite bland.

m - Light, crisp body with moderate to high carbonation.

d - I wasn't a big fan of this beer at all. It smelled horrible, which was a big turn off. Taste was a little bland as well. I think this might be one of the worst beers I've ever had. I would not want to have again.

2.35/5  rDev -15.2%

Yet another beer that I had while I was away this summer. Never tried anything from the Florida Beer Company and after having this, I know now that I don't have to buy a Corona to get that same great Corona taste and filling!

This poured light, tasted light, and had a little bit of head. Too bad the lacing was nowhere to be seen. The taste? Well, that's being a bit generous, as the taste here was mostly filler with some skunky-notes behind it for good measure. I suppose a lime or the like would help liven this up a bit, but I've never been one fo put fruit in my beer, nor would I this make me want to start doing that.

Yes, there's alcohol in here but I could think of quite a few other ways to get my fix of that. This is just a step above a macro and nowhere near a pils like Brooklyn or Victory. Only worth a try if you're on a beach in the Sunshine Dead and don't want to get caught dead with a mass-market brew.

3.65/5  rDev +31.8%

Appearance and smell - golden pour with a little head, poured out of the bottle.
Mouthfeel and Taste -pretty good, some banana, not what I was expecting from a lager, but than again, it says caribbean style so I guess that means banana. Easy to drink, mouthfeel light.
Drinkability - I liked it, I would by a 6-pack next time.

3.22/5  rDev +16.2%

Aroma - Definite hop aroma not just the usual bland pilsner.

Appearance - Clear yellow with a thin white head and a decent amount of carbonation as well too.

Taste - Interesting flavor, dry with a malty sweetness and a dry finish. More of a blah flavor than offensive.

Notes - Decent if watery mouthfeel.

2.81/5  rDev +1.4%

Pours a light lazy golden color.
White head quickly dies without much lacing at all.
Light sour to citrus and malt aroma.
Aroma follows through in a light sour taste with citrus and malt flavors added.
A light bodied beer that leaves a light sour dry aftertaste.

2.38/5  rDev -14.1%

$4 bottle (like all bottles) at Zeke's in South Beath. Poured a slightly hazy yellow with a tall white head. There's something off about this beer. There's a strange lemon fruitiness that makes me wonder if the brewers have an odd sense of creativity, or there's just a mild infection. Still, basic pale malts shine through along with hints of spicy hops. The lemon kind of ruins it for me though. I can't recommend this beer.

2.7/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

A: pours a crystal clear straw yellow color. white head. low retention rate. light, fickle lacing. I could read a newspaper through this beer.

S: huge corn malt aromas, no hop aroma.

T: tastes...caribbean style. light, some flavor, but disappointing. too much corn malt for me.

M: low bodied, medium carbonation, very clean.

D: very easy to drink. decent pils, but too much missing for me. needs some hops, to accompany the massive corn flavor.

2.85/5  rDev +2.9%

2/18/2008. Just relocated and this one is a local brew. About what you would expect as far as appearance and aroma for the style. Very thin head that dimished quickly. Very light and refreshing. It is what it is, nice and refreshing and great for a warm day. Not going to blow you away with flavor but it's got some. I'd have it again. Next time I'll just slug it from the bottle. It's that kind of beer.

2.69/5  rDev -2.9%

Best By 05 12 2008 etched on neck of bottle. 12oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Pours a golden yellow color with a pretty decent white head that leaves some lacing around the glass. The aroma is faint grainy malt with a touch of spicy hops. The taste is sweet and malty, with a touch of spicy hops in the finish. Overall, this is a drinkable lager to enjoy on a warm day, but nothing to get too excited over.

Thanks to Jredner for this brew.

Pours a nice clean/clear pale yellow color, nice carbonation, tiny fizzy white head, very little sticky lacing around the edges. The nose is malty, slightly hoppy, spicy, and some caramel. The taste is slightly sweet, malty, hoppy, slight spice, and caramel. Light body. Drinkable, not too bad, glad to have had a chance to try it out.

3.03/5  rDev +9.4%

Pours a somewhat pale yellow gold with a thin white film on top. Some malt in the nose but some strong corn shows through.
Sweet front with a slightly spicy character. A little bitterness and hops at the swallow. The corn does show through in the flavor.
Light bodied and niceley carbonated.
Not bad... better than Corona. Loose the corniness and it might make a nice lawnmower beer.

2.18/5  rDev -21.3%

Picked this up in Key Largo last weekend with a bunch of the other Hurricane Reef brews and a few more promising selections. This pours a classic golden color with almost no head and lots of carbonation bubbles. Nose is slightly sweet and malty but there just isn't much there at all.

Taste is sweeter than average for the style but it seems to come from corn as oppossed to barley. Mouthfeel is tolerable but highly carbonated. Not abysmal but barely a step above BMC, and not remotely a pilsner to boot. Avoid.

2.67/5  rDev -3.6%

Pretty average, underwhelming beer. It's fairly sweet, and for something this boring, at least it's got that going for it. The sweetness lingers a little bit though, which I don't find very nice. It's very drinkable and I could see myself maybe having some in the summer if there wasn't anything else around. Kind of tastes like a sweet corona, and given a choice between this and Corona, I'd go for this. Oh, and the label on the beer is a complete ripoff of the cover of the Jimmy Buffet book, "Where is Joe Merchant?" Unless they licensed it.

2.46/5  rDev -11.2%

Hurricane Reef Caribbean Style Pilsner pours a fizzy macro yellow with a thin white head from a clear twelve ounce bottle. Smells like corn and maybe some malt with some grassy aromas as well. A litle on the sweet side with some grassy flavors. Finish is too sweet and sticks around too long. Not very good, but I would say it compares favorably to Corona and it's ilk.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | nextlast