Swamp Ape IPA

Reviews: 141 | Ratings: 581 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
Reviews by Rhettroactive:
2.93/5  rDev -3%

From 12oz bottle to Bruges hybrid glass on 3/3/11

A: Crystalized honey-orange in color. 1.5 finger head with underdeveloped lacing.

S: Lavendar and extreme alcohol esters.

T: Can you say booze? I feel like I'm back in college - it's like slamming a shot of vodka with a hint of gin's juniper kick. No hops, no malt. Just pure alcohol.

M: Surprisingly nice. It's fairly creamy and well carbonated, with good weight.

O: I read Garrett Oliver's review of Florida Beer Co's Swamp Ape a while back, and he mentioned this drank more like a barleywine. I can't seem to disagree, as it's exrtremely hot, and could use some serious time in the cellar before I'd even consider returning to it.

1.76/5  rDev -41.7%

Born in the cavernous anus of a vicious, marsh-dwelling jungle monster, this concoction will leave you confused, trembling and asking for maternal care.

When it touches your lips, you WILL know the taste of an unwashed monkey's bumbum. The visage of the beast shall haunt your dreams, and the bitterness will leave you nevermore. Beware this strange and unholy potion.

This is .............. Swamp Ape.

1.36/5  rDev -55%

This beer is not borderline un-drinkable, it is un-drinkable. Hoppy-ness is lacking and the alcohol dominates. One of the few times I've actually poured a beer out.

4.16/5  rDev +37.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Not sure why this is rated so low. I really liked it. Possibly it's because I had it fresh on tap in Florida. Nice floral aroma with notes of grapefruit and dankness. Hoppy bitterness, grapefruit, some citrus and booze on the tongue. Only thing I wasn't crazy about was the feeling. A bit sticky.

Overall, this is a very good DIPA and I will certainly but it again if I come upon it.

4.02/5  rDev +33.1%

I'm not sure about the negative reviews here. I thought this beer was very good. Very nice balance of taste and smell. It leaves a nice hoppy smooth aftertaste. I like a little bit of alcohol bite and this has that. Of course it doesn't compare to a Dogfish Head 120, but what does? Definitely worth a try. I would buy again and again.

My review is a nice smooth IPA which is easy to drink and would match well with any meal or any occasion.

3.05/5  rDev +1%

2.94/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 2.75

2.29/5  rDev -24.2%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A-Pours amber, semi hazy, with a tightly knit slightly off white head that has fair retention and left a few spots of lace.

S-Earthy, grassy hops are there, but somewhat tame. Hints of bready malt are there along with an off putting astringency that is very distracting.

T-Hmm, there is something wrong here. A sour, medicinal flavor overwhelms everything here and the longer I drink this the worse it gets. I can pick up the earthy, grassy hops from the nose along with the bready malt back but they are both overwhelmed by the unpleasant medicinal flavor. Not good.

M-Medium body and carbonation, slightly slick but finishes dry.

O-This one was tough to finish. And I love DIPAs. I soldiered through to the end in an attempt to give this beer a fair shot, but it never got better. If anything it got worse as I went along.
There is no way I would buy this again.

3.5/5  rDev +15.9%

God awful, tried it as an entrance to craft beer and almost turned me off completely. Now that I have tried other IPA's I know that it's just that this beer in particular is terrible and I shouldn't judge all IPA's off of it. Just a terrible beer, try for yourself if you wish but I would not recommend it.

3.46/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.18/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

Had from bottle

L: Pours a medium semi translucent amber. Thick white head with decent lacing.

S: Hops forward, piney and floral. Bit of a vegetable flavor. Malts and alcohol both present.

T/F: Medium hops, good piney and citrus notes. A stronger malt presence than expected and definite alcohol warmth. Moderate carbonation and a bit thick

O: A reasonably pleasant imperial IPA and better than its very low rating. It's nothing to compare to guys like Stone, Lagunitas, or Dogfish Head but it's at least passable. 10% ABV hides a lot of defincies and I'd drink it again... but not more than one in a session.

2.25/5  rDev -25.5%

3.23/5  rDev +7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I had this beer on draft and compared it to Cigar City Jai Alain out of a can and liked the Swamp better. However, I prefer double IPAs.

3.75/5  rDev +24.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

1.56/5  rDev -48.3%

Rec'd this for trade.
I always keep an open mind with new beers and regions.
Unfortunately, this one disappointed.
Smell was not recognizable, with taste being hot and full of sugar and alcohol.
Maybe 20 years ago, this would have been extreme, but now its disappointing.

Ended up pouring out 3/4 of the glass, since there is no way I can go on after first two tastes.

This beer should be labeled barleywine without the barley.

3.19/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

2.91/5  rDev -3.6%