Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Added by CampusCrew on 09-05-2010

Reviews: 132 | Ratings: 532
Reviews by ajpadre:
3.79/5  rDev +30.2%

I gotta say I was surprised by the negative reviews when I visited BeerAdvocate because usually my taste buds are spot on with the majority of BeerAdvocate users.

I'm originally from SoCal, so the higher the ABV and the more bitter the better. And I gotta say this is my favorite Florida brew.

The color is a nice cloudy orange, nothing too out of the ordinary.

The nose is lacking somewhat, you expect it too be a flop immediately out of the gate.

The taste though I love. It has a great silky texture that compliments the bitter after taste. Could use a bit more of the roasted malt up front but still a pleasant light front. It is more chewy than the other Florida beers I have had, which is probably why I like it. The back end is a typical ipa with not too complicated flavors, a little citrus, a little pine. But enough to balance with the high ABV.

The finish is not dry at all, leaves your palate coated with a nice array of hop flavors. The flavor stays in your mouth for a while.

I enjoyed this beer very much. I have no idea how long its been in the keg at HopJacks, and the east coast isn't too friendly to DIPAs so it may have had some time to mature. But all and all I thought it was a solid brew.

1.36/5  rDev -53.3%

This beer is not borderline un-drinkable, it is un-drinkable. Hoppy-ness is lacking and the alcohol dominates. One of the few times I've actually poured a beer out.

3.82/5  rDev +31.3%
look: 3 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

I like this beer a lot. I don't really understand the low rating. I didn't expect much when coming here but I expected it to be higher than 70.

The only thing about this beer that isn't 'great' about it is the color. It looks more like a weak pale ale than a 10% big IPA.

The smells coming out of this beer are great. Lots of amazing hops with a tad of malt. I like to compare this to Dogfish Head 90 minute because it has a similar mouth feel but the hop aroma and taste are much different. A tad more bitter than the 90 minute.

The taste doesn't match the smell exactly, but still has a very nice unique hop taste. Unlike other Double IPAs I've had. It is not a hop bomb, to me it seems like they are more going for balance.

Overall, it's very good, but being priced higher than DFH 90 minute is a problem. This is a local beer where I'm from as well, so hard to understand why it's $0.50 - $1.00 more than a 4 pack of 90 minute.

1.76/5  rDev -39.5%

Born in the cavernous anus of a vicious, marsh-dwelling jungle monster, this concoction will leave you confused, trembling and asking for maternal care.

When it touches your lips, you WILL know the taste of an unwashed monkey's bumbum. The visage of the beast shall haunt your dreams, and the bitterness will leave you nevermore. Beware this strange and unholy potion.

This is .............. Swamp Ape.

3.22/5  rDev +10.7%

Appearance – This is a nice, murky, orange in color with a modest head.

Smell – The malts are sickly sweet at the nose with some rich caramel mixed with stiff orange rind and light pine. The hops are actually pretty substantial here but they are dwarfed by the sweetish malts and easy to overlook.

Taste – The monster sugary malt hits hard at the taste. I get some cane sugar now with enough sweetness to cause a “sour face.” The “three Cs” are out in force here as well.

Mouthfeel – This is huge, almost full-bodied, with some bittering that would be harsh but again with the sugars it’s all evened out. Carbonation is wanting, however.

Drinkability – I didn’t care much for this beer but for different reasons than most of the other reviews. Everyone is complaining about the sweetness, but this is a local preference so I wasn’t bothered much by the huge sugars. The lack of bitterness and carbonation was the problem for me. Obviously you don’t want your DIPA bubbling like Alka-Seltzer, but this was almost flat and for all the hops lacked that bitter aftertaste characteristic of more sophisticated efforts at the style.

2.96/5  rDev +1.7%

Review from BeerAdvocate Magazine Issue #46 (Nov 2010):

The head reaches high off a moderate pour; retention is great as well, as is the pale amber clarity of the brew. Pungent, hoppy nose meets a big twang of estery alcohol. Smooth, creamy and a little bitty. The alcohol and hop pro- files are a one-two punch to the palate. Some toasted grain comes through, but the sweet fruity and peppery alcohol esters push it aside. Hop bitterness is a little pungent with a thick, leafy, herbal tone that casts some citric and mint on the taste buds. Esters and a veggie-like hop cling on and make the beer a bit of a chore to drink. Not half bad.

4.02/5  rDev +38.1%

I'm not sure about the negative reviews here. I thought this beer was very good. Very nice balance of taste and smell. It leaves a nice hoppy smooth aftertaste. I like a little bit of alcohol bite and this has that. Of course it doesn't compare to a Dogfish Head 120, but what does? Definitely worth a try. I would buy again and again.

My review is a nice smooth IPA which is easy to drink and would match well with any meal or any occasion.

3.25/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

2.5/5  rDev -14.1%

3.5/5  rDev +20.3%

3.75/5  rDev +28.9%

1.48/5  rDev -49.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.25

Pretty gross aftertaste. Literally leaving a bad taste in my mouth.

3.67/5  rDev +26.1%

Appearance - This beer is average in carbonation and somewhat light for a typical IPA. It is clear with minimal to no head.

Smell - It has an overall sweet smell with minimal hop aroma. The degree of hops is less than I was expecting.

Taste - This is a sweet IPA that has a little hops flavor. It seems to be more pale ale and less india to me, however I do like it. It is good for being 10% alcohol.

Mouthfeel - This is a light IPA with a smooth consistency.

Overall - This is a good beer overall, but I have had better. I would rank it as an average IPA, and it is quite strong. A feature that I like! I am from Florida and will support this beer. However I have heard that the Florida bigfoot is know as a skunk ape, not swamp ape. Bottoms up!

4.25/5  rDev +46%

2.64/5  rDev -9.3%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Poured into a pint glass. Transparent, golden color with a one finger head that quickly fades and leaves a small ring of lacing at the very top of the glass. Aroma is skunked beer and pine hops. I think that is intended and not a rotten beer. The taste follows the nose. The skunked, almost gone bad taste hits first before a wave of bitter pine hops leaves a bitter aftertaste. Full bodied and medium-light carbonation. The alcohol is well hidden. There was no malt whatsoever and the skunk and hops were both very dominant.
I don't understand the thought behind this beer and had to pour it. I couldn't finish it due to the unusual (but purposeful) aroma and hops.

3.5/5  rDev +20.3%