Swamp Ape IPA | Florida Beer Company

Florida, United States
floridabeer.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by CampusCrew on 09-05-2010

God awful, tried it as an entrance to craft beer and almost turned me off completely. Now that I have tried other IPA's I know that it's just that this beer in particular is terrible and I shouldn't judge all IPA's off of it. Just a terrible beer, try for yourself if you wish but I would not recommend it.

1.26/5  rDev -57.7%

Brought some of this back from Florida after visiting the 'rents a week ago.

I've had two out of the four bottles I brought home with me and have been trying to put my finger on the taste...

It pours a light amber, very clear. The smell is sickeningly sweet like a cheap High Gravity Ale with a big malt wiff on the tail end... I smell no hops.

It tastes like it smells... it tastes almost exactly like Hurricane HGA. It's honestly gross.

It will howecer get you buzzed after 1 bottle. But there are cheaper ways of doing that, honestly. Steer clear. Blech

Edit: I should add that Papa Lutter says its much better on draft... for what its worth.

1.36/5  rDev -54.4%

This beer is not borderline un-drinkable, it is un-drinkable. Hoppy-ness is lacking and the alcohol dominates. One of the few times I've actually poured a beer out.

1.39/5  rDev -53.4%

A - Pours a murky orange, copper color with a white one finger head. (By far the best thing about this beer)

S - Vegetable aroma with a slight hint of caramel.

T - Very sweet for a DIPA. The best way to describe the taste is a combination of alcohol, carrots and vomit.

M - Mouthfeel has a certain creaminess. Sweetness is big and has a sticky feeling.

O - I am not a fan. I will not be asking my brother to send this from Florida again nor will I recommend anyone drink this. I ended up drain pouring the remaining 3/4 of the glass. What a disappointment for my first review.

1.48/5  rDev -50.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.25

Pretty gross aftertaste. Literally leaving a bad taste in my mouth.

1.5/5  rDev -49.7%