Mayflower Porter | Mayflower Brewing Company

mayflowerbrewing.com

Style: English Porter

Added by DrDogbeer on 03-28-2008

2.76/5  rDev -32.8%

A: pours thick into a glass tumbler, with a thin tan head that clears quickly. On the second bottle, i purposely created a larger head, but even that cleared quickly. Almost opaque, but overall looked exactly how you want a porter.
S: not much to speak of, but hints of bittersweet chocolate, malt, and toffee present
T: Overall, not a strong porter taste. If this was a blind taste test, i would have thought this was a dark lager/dunkel. Good caramel, toffee, and chocolate notes, but they didn't last too long
M: more carbonated than an average porter, and more so than i would have liked, unfortunately. Usually a porter is a bit more syrupy, leaving a lasting impression on the palate, but this seemed watery and flavor dissipated quickly.
D: High, because for its style i found it more crisp and easy to drink.

I really, really wanted to love this beer. But after having a few, it only hits a few of the notes I wanted it to. There's nothing wrong with it, and when it warmed a bit it brought out more complex flavors, but overall this didn't live up to my hopes. I appreciate the efforts of these guys and think the IPA is amazing, but this one just didn't do it for me.

2.8/5  rDev -31.9%

3.23/5  rDev -21.4%

Fourth in my series of blind beers. Thanks go out to Prufrock! 12 ounce bottle poured into a brandy snifter.

Vision
This one generated the suds much easier than last night. A simple, responsible pour gave me half a finger of head. The color is hard for me to describe. I see deep within its core the browns that i am used to seeing in other beers of this style. However, the predominate shade is white. It reminds me of white undershirts that an individual has used for three years with no bleach treatment. Eventually they are just dingy with brown tones. A slight skin of head remains fizzling away after a few minutes of rest. I am happy to report that it is characteristically jet black. One would think without the ability to shine light into this beverage I wouldn't be able to comment on the carbonation, however that is untrue. The center of this beverage has a layer of head that is constantly frothing up allowing me to see how thick the column of bubbles is within the center. Quite a bit of carbonation, which shocks me.

Bouquet
I'm spoiled. I knew it was going to happen, but last night's beer changed me. I think I'll be looking for as complex a brew for the next few weeks. Alas, this is a one noter. Strong, burnt grains. Not smoky, just charred. It reminds me of aromas I have caused in my own kitchen. It doesn't get any fainter or any stronger. No matter how I try to smell this, its a simple aroma.

Flavor Profile
It eluded me in the nose, but the first cursory sip gives me the smokiness I was smelling for. It rides in the backseat of this sip, leaving the entire front seat for roasted grains and burnt crescendos. The finish on the first sip is metal. I thought at first I bit my tongue and had some blood somewhere in my mouth, but alas it occurs on every follow-up sip.

I try different tasting techniques and methods to try and weasel something else out. Unfortunately its as simple as a Halloween costume. Smoky cape, burnt grain tunic, and iron/copper boots to stomp all over where it has been.

Oral Sensations
Sometimes a beer walks a fine line of having the right body. It just crosses that point where it satisfies you. This beer saw that finish line and tripped a few strides before it got there. Its watery enough that I'm upset with it. However, this watery nature lends it a certain amount of smoothness. It goes down well enough without sticking around too long. Perhaps I shouldn't be too upset. If this smoky flavor never left, I probably would be even more annoyed.

I mentioned carbonation before, and I definitely will mention it now. If all I took were sips that instantly went down the hatch I'd never notice how fizzy this can be. Just letting it sit longer than one second causes me to feel the bubbles tickling my cheeks, tongue, and soft palate. I've never been a fan of carbonation, and with this beer already as is I put this down as a negative point.

Conclusions
I am happy to try this beer. Everything deserves a chance and this beer is miles above some trash I've slurped down in my day. However, I will not be looking for this beer again. I will not order this beer if I find it on draft out and about ( maybe I'll sip it a few times if someone else orders it ). I put it as a suitable craft beer, but not a good craft beer.

3.23/5  rDev -21.4%

We did a porter tasting with some of the better rated ones from this site. Side by side, this did not impress. The color is almost straight black but there is a slight dark brown/purplish hue. This has very little lacing and head. Looks like a pepsi. I am getting a faint amount of roasted malt in the nose and a small bit of dark fruit, nothing special. The taste is fairly dry and watery. There is good balance for sure between hops and malt. Overall it is very thin with not enough flavor for us as compared to some others. Try the IPA by MAyflower it is solid.

3.27/5  rDev -20.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.5

C. deep brown
A. soft coffee
T. bitter
F. no carb. bitter end

3.3/5  rDev -19.7%

3.35/5  rDev -18.5%
look: 4 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.38/5  rDev -17.8%

Bottle. Pours a dark brown color with a nice light tan head that quickly settles to form a nice collar around the glass. The aroma is light roast coffee, dark chocolate, and leather. Medium mouthfeel. A balanaced taste between the roast coffee flavors and the sweetness from the dark chocolate notes. Slight leather with a hint of smoke as well. Slight bitterness lingers on. To me this is slightly bland upfront. Easy drinking though.

3.39/5  rDev -17.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

3.42/5  rDev -16.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

12 oz. bottle. Pours a deep brown, not quite black. Smells of chocolate and nutty malts. Some coffee roast behind it. Tastes nicely roasty. Maybe a little oxidation (I found this in the back of my fridge... oops). Nutty brown malts with a coffee roast bitterness in the back end. Medium bodied, if that. Pretty light for a porter. Decent flavor and drinkable.

3.42/5  rDev -16.8%

[Best served in a English pint]

Poured a dark brown with an averaged sized frothy light brown head that was mostly lasting and had excellent lacing. The aroma was light of roasted caramel malts, a sort of barnyard scented yeast and strong notes of coffee and dark chocolate. It tasted slightly sweet and quite flavorful with notes of coffee and caramel at first and then a bitter sweet chocolate/coffee flavor engulfed the taste buds and stayed with you for a nice little while. Mouthfeel was medium to full in body and a little oily in texture with a nice soft carbonation. Overall a nice straight forward Porter.

3.43/5  rDev -16.5%

12oz. bottle served at 51 degrees in my SA Sensory Pint. No freshness dating indicated on the bottle. Poured the color of cola with some deep red, almost brown highlights when backlit. Pour revealed a frothy/sudsy two inch, khaki-colored head that crackled and popped as it slowly receded into a fairly consistent quarter inch cap with thick swaths of lacing revealed during the tasting. Nose off the bottle pop was coffee, roasty and perhaps a hint of smoked meat a la rauchbier. Nose in the glass is a bit more subdued - light coffee aromas and something else hard to tease out; maybe a hint of lactose and something else...Taste follows nose - smoky character definitely remains, but I also get a slightly metallic quality as well. Mouthfeel is medium-light with carbonation levels that approach prickly; however, this beer is also a bit gassy. Not a bad porter by any means, but a little too much CO2 happening here. I might have to try another bottle as some small beer stains on the label might be indicative of an off bottle.

3.44/5  rDev -16.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.44/5  rDev -16.3%

I got this bottle from TheManiacalOne, thank you very much. Poured into a pint glass at 39 degrees.

Appearance: A one finger creamy tan head that has poor retention. The color of the beer is dark brown with garnet highlights on the bottom of the glass. The clarity is opaque.

Nose: A roasted dark malt that has coffee, chocolate, and a burnt note. There are also some floral, wood, phenols, toasty, biscuit, and yeasty notes.

Taste: A good dark roasted malt, coffee, chocolate, burnt character, floral, wood, phenols, toasty, biscuit, yeast, and a slight funky meat flavor.

Mouth feel is creamy, full, and velvety.

Overall. The body of the beer is medium and the finish is medium full. There is a slight off meat flavor in the beer. The beer has a lot of good qualities and is very tasty.

3.45/5  rDev -16.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A - Pours pitch black with minimal head, quickly dissipates to minimal cap and lacing.

S - Typical porter coffee and chocolate, burnt caramel malt as well. There is a crispness, bordering on metallic pushing through. Overall the aroma is subdued.

T - Taste is almost identical to the aroma. Chocolate and malts at first turning to coffee with a hint of bitterness on the swallow. That metallic flavor is there as well, if just barely. Light overall.

M - Medium body with relatively high carbonation for the style.

O - Good porter, but could use to be a little bolder in the aroma and flavor and a bit heavier. Wouldn't turn one down, but not on my list of top porters.

3.45/5  rDev -16.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

12 oz. bottle poured into a snifter.

A: Real nice look to this brew. Dark black with a solid 1-2 inch full bodied head that leaves some nice lacing.

S: Unimpressive, not a lot going on here.

T: Nice sweet malty flavor.

M: This is where this beer disappoints, to thin and to much carbonation for the style.

O: Not bad and would drink again, but feel it is a bit overrated.

Cheers!