Mayflower Porter | Mayflower Brewing Company

4.17/5
Alströms:
4.5

4.05/5  rDev -2.9%

I'll preface this by stating that, by & large, I'm not a fan of porters.

That said -- I enjoyed this beer, which I recently picked up at a local shop.
The bottles indicate that they were packaged ~7 weeks ago.

A - It pours black. Looks like a porter. Amber-brown head. Attractive. Head fades, tho' not overly quickly. Minimal lacing.

S - Smells like a porter, but more refined than most. The coffee predominates over the chocolate, which works just fine for me.

T - As I said, I'm not a fan of most porters as, to me, they tend to be overly rich, too 'chocolatey' & in your face. But this one has the richness of taste without being cloying. An excellent balance of bitter & sweet. Really nice.

M - As some other reviewers have observed, I find it just a *bit* too much on the carbonated side. So it's not perfect. But this is a matter of degree -- the porter is not so carbonated as to prevent enjoyment. I enjoyed it plenty.

O - Overall, a really nice beer. A porter that I'm happy to have on hand -- I'll happily pick up another 6-pack if nothing else on the racks jumps out at me.

4.75/5  rDev +13.9%

3.5/5  rDev -16.1%

4.43/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

We have a dark brown beer with ruby tones, and a tanned bubbly neck that disappears fast. The aroma emanates coffee (very well pronounced), and chocolate. The coffee is also very present in the taste, with low fruit esters and discrete hops. The malt gives the idea of bread and toast, slightly caramelized, with a medium-light body. The palate is very oily, and has low carbonation, with - guess - coffee in the aftertaste. Very pleasant session beer, for sure, although I expected more caramel expression in the malt.

4.19/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Mayflower Porter
12 oz brown bottle
Packaged 03/14/13
Served in a 20 oz tulip glass

Pours a jet ink black with ruby highlights on the bottom of the glass. A thin lace, khaki colored circle forms on the top of the pour. Nice spots of sticky lace decorate the sides.

Whiffs of malts, chocolate cake and spicy hops.

This is a really solid porter and I'm enjoying every sip as I review. Flavors of dark roasted malts (think dark roast coffee) and chocolate syrup. I also detect a caramel and molasses sweetness. There is a mini hop snap on the finish. Nicely balanced and well crafted.

One of the better local porters I've had. I will certainly re-visit this one again.

4.75/5  rDev +13.9%

3.45/5  rDev -17.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

12 oz. bottle poured into a snifter.

A: Real nice look to this brew. Dark black with a solid 1-2 inch full bodied head that leaves some nice lacing.

S: Unimpressive, not a lot going on here.

T: Nice sweet malty flavor.

M: This is where this beer disappoints, to thin and to much carbonation for the style.

O: Not bad and would drink again, but feel it is a bit overrated.

Cheers!