Mayflower Summer Rye | Mayflower Brewing Company

Added by Patrick on 06-25-2009

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last
Reviews: 68 | Ratings: 195
2.45/5  rDev -31.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Very carbonated bottle, not a gusher, but loud noise and very frothy head. As soon as I opened the bottle I could smell sweet malt and hops.

A- Kind of an ugly beer. Odd looking light yellow colored brew. Hazy as well, almost lemon juice looking. It looks like when you go to wash your glass, and the residue of the previous beer mixes with the water and makes a hazy unappetizing color.

S- smells lemonie and sweet. Also the rye seems to come through in the smell more than the taste.

T- 2.5 This beer is really watery. ughck, I never say that about beer. I've had some funky beer, but this is not very good, and extremely unbalanced. There is a sour note that just doesn't go with the beer at all. Very lemonie, I wouldn't be surprised if they used real lemons. I truly appreciate sour beers by the way. It does taste better served warm. And the aftertaste is just awful.

Maybe if they condensed the beer, using less water is would taste better and have a better mouthfeel.

This was one of my lowest review. I like Mayflower brewing company. I honestly feel bad when I don't like a beer. But reviews are based upon personal opinion. And I think this beer kind'a sucks.

A: Very grainy/hazy pale yellow blond with a white loosely formed head that doesn't last very long.

S: Like walking through an herb garden. Rosemary and lemon thyme, citrus zest, pepper notes from the rye and bready notes from the wheat.

T: A nice earthy and complex lemon pepper kick up front It finishes bone dry with hop bitterness and nothing else.

M: Thin-bodied.

D: 3.8% ABV and an extremely dry finish make this beer perfect for a hot summer day. It's complex, herbal and earthy.

A. Poured a cloudy light straw with a one finger white head. Not much lacing on the glass.

S. Hops, cloves bananas, smells like summer.

T. Stars off sweet, banans, and cloves, next the rye takes over, followed by a nice hoppy bitterness.

M. Light bodied, but full flavored. Small bubbles, slightly thin.

D. A great session brew, I could have a few of these while hanging with my friends at the bbq. A great summer brew.

4.09/5  rDev +13.9%

A - A pale yellow that is fully clear and translucent. Little head, retains a decent lace on the top of the beer.

S - NIce and refreshing. Rye, wheat, yeast, coriander, lemon zest, a little honey malt maybe.

T - Very refreshing. All that was detected on the nose is also present in the flavor. A nice flavor.

M - Light and refreshing, carbonated well. Still very beery even though this is only 3.8% abv.

D - A good beer, overall. I didn't realize it was only 3.8% abv when I bought it, but I would buy this again. Perhaps it's a little overpriced, but Mayflower is still a young brewery with relatively small levels of scale economies, so that is understandable. This is an example of an ideal beer I'd love to drink pitchers of after reaching the top of a mountain on a hike in New England. Or in a large field on a picnic. It's that type of beer. I am quite enjoying it, actually.

4.22/5  rDev +17.5%

Light yellow color with good carbonation and a pleasant white head.
Spice, a hint of hops and some malt character.
Very spicy beer. A bitter character from the hops rounds out the middle and a pleasant malty finish fill out the end.
For a beer of the weight the beer has a very impressive body, with just right carbonation.
A great beer that I would love to see in six packs.
This is now available in 6pks and I cannot get enough.

2.92/5  rDev -18.7%

A - Straw color and incredibly murky. Can't see through it whatsoever. Bright head with huge bubbles that disappears quickly.

S - The aroma is a bit faint, but there are clear banana, lime juice, and cilantro aromas. The rye can be found in the form of spice and whole wheat bread if you really search for it.

T - Corn flakes and rye bread characters work well with the coriander and citrus flavors, but all flavor seems a bit dull. This is mainly due to the fact that this beer has little to no carbonation, keeping many of the flavors suppressed.

M - Medium body with little carbonation to little the mouthfeel, which would make it a bit more crisp and dry.

O - It has some potential, but this attempt at a rye and wheat summer thirst-quencher has muddled flavors and severely lacks carbonation.

3.6/5  rDev +0.3%

Poured into a pint glass a hazy lemon color. Several fingers of fluffy egg white slowly settles to a thin film.

The nose has the distinct rye tinge, also some bready citrus.

A sip is surprisingly creamy, with a light rye spice blended with pale malt, some wheat and subtle hop fruitiness.

Drinkable, that's for sure. Between this and Spring Hop, Mayflower has made two very solid hot weather beers. Not overly complicated, but still leaps and bounds over a BMC.

4.23/5  rDev +17.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

On draft at the Meadhall in Kendall Square, Cambridge, MA

A - Faint yellow with moderate carbonation and a fluffy white 1-finger head.

S - light wheat, floral hops and peppery rye, some notes of citrus rind and brown grass.

T- follows the nose exactly. Really fantastic.

M- light but not watery, and extremely refreshing. Exactly what I want in a session beer.

Overall this is one of the best session ales I've had and at 3.7% really fits the definition. An excellent summer brew.

3.39/5  rDev -5.6%

Poured into a pint glass. This is the first rye I've ever had. Not sure what characteristics you'd typically find in one.

A: Hazy and light yellow. This is a beer that looks like lemonade. Kinda off-putting. Pours to a half-finger head that dissipates over the next few minutes.

S: Moderate citrus scent.

T: More citrus, with a bit of fruity flavor and a whisper of hops at the end. Just a tiny bit of bitterness lingers. The 3.8 abv really shows. Or rather, it doesn't show.

M: Light and a little slick. Just enough carbonation to tickle your tongue.

O: Good summer beer. A bit of flavor but not overpowering. Resembles lemonade as much in appearance as drinkability.

3.7/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Super fresh bottle - bottled on 6-8-11, poured on 6-11-11 - poured into a goblet glass.

A - Pale, cloudy yellow with very little head. It looks a lot like a lemonade type drink or some kind of summer cocktail. Pretty different than what I'm used to, even for summer beers.

S - Malt, which I assume is the Rye (I honestly don't know), with coriander spice notes and some citrus/hops.

T - Very refreshing. Malty and lightly spicy, again very reminiscent of a summer cocktail. Hops jump out in the back but aren't strong or overpowering - they're just being nice and letting you know that they're there (very polite). The citrus is more apparent than the hops (but then, the citrus might be from the hops). Obviously no alcohol taste because it's so light.

M - Fizzes up in the mouth - really playful.

D - I can see this being a really great summer beer for just hanging out and taking it easy.

This is a fun beer, but one that takes its fun very seriously. It was really well crafted to be exactly what I think the brewers wanted it to be. I like it.

2.24/5  rDev -37.6%

I didn't care much for this beer.

Appearance - cloudy, with an unusual amount of debris floating around - more than most home brews I've seen.

Smell - Average for the style. Very strong fruit smells.

Taste - I didn't like it. To me it tasted very metallic and had too strong of a lemon flavoring. My drinking partner likened it to "flavored water".

Mouthfeel - Flat and metallic. Some hint of alcohol but not something I enjoyed.

Drinkability - I had one bottle out of a pint glass and passed on the rest. The remaining bottles will be sent home with someone who might like it more.

3.97/5  rDev +10.6%

I bought just a single of this beer, and I wish it was a whole six pack.This was a great summer beer. Very light in texture and alcohol which makes it quite sessionable. The rye flavor is evident, but it is not overpowering enough that would make one sick of it. Another great beer from a great New England brewer.

4.18/5  rDev +16.4%

A very full white foamy head. Pale yellow straw. Some slight cloudiness.

Has a slightly sweet aroma with a hint of citrus, a little spice. I found it difficult to pick up a lot to be honest.

Tangy spiciness, some light bready flavors. Some slight citrus with a little hop bitterness (pine??) Very flavorful for such a light beer.

A light bodied beer, fairly smooth with good carbonation. Slightly dry.

I could easily drink this beer all day, especially since the ABV is very low (which is a big plus for me). Very refreshing and light. Absolutely check this one out if you can.

4.35/5  rDev +21.2%

Just got back from the brewery 2 growlers in hand...

A: straw yellow slightly cloudy. one finger head, nice lacing

S: some citrus in the nose, very clean some spice

T: clean and slight spicyness some citus

M: WOW light dry clean

D: this is going to be dangerous on a hot summer day I can see a few growlers going down.. Right on the money with this session beer!!!

Another winner from Matt and the Mayflower gang!!!

3.85/5  rDev +7.2%

I was able to have the opportunity to go to the Mayflower Brewing Company's Tasting room today and tasted some of there beers and this one stood out to me as something unique. I had it on tap in a 7 oz taster and then purchased a growler to share with my family when I got home.
Appearance: pale cloudy yellow estimated SRM of 1.25-1.5. the unfiltered beer resembles a nice unfiltered wheat beer
Smell: slight tart/sour smell right off the back can pull a noise of the rye and then the dwindling of american wheat malts.
Taste: slightly tart and sour from the rye malts and a hint of wheat malt sourness and slight sweetness of the pilsner base malts.
Mouthfeel: a wonderful crisp dry light body summer session ale

Overall: Overall I am really impressed with this beer as an all around summer session ale that is light bodied, crisp and slightly sour mouthfeel makes a beer that is worth bringing to your next cook out or gathering to share with all or just for yourself and significant other at the beach. If you are looking for an alternative to your usual summer wheat beer you should check this one out if you get the opportunity to get your hands on some.

3.05/5  rDev -15%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Pours with a three-finger, pure white head. Color is clear on the edges, and sort of a golden champagne towards the middle. Lots of champagne-like bubbles, too.

Smell: Smells of musty basement, with a fruity sweet hint. Otherwise, aroma is somewhat lacking, even though I could smell it almost as soon as I opened it.

Taste: Citrus straight up front. Then a touch of hops comes through, then a big bready note. Perhaps the wheat. Aftertaste is light, refreshing and a bit sweet.

Feel: Light body. When it first enters your mouth, it's actually disappointingly watery, though the minimal carbonation helps as you taste it.

Overall: I find that some beers that lack complexity can be commended because they are easy to knock back without having to appreciate it fully. However, I think this beer needs more complexity - it seems muted. Aroma is somewhat dulled, flavors aren't very potent, and the feel and carbonation could be kicked up. It is however, very refreshing.

2.88/5  rDev -19.8%

This beer has a soft amber-golden cloudy appearance with some lacing. Its smell is quite pungent, like a very sweet and somewhat fermented orange. I detected both wheat and floral hops in the aroma.

There is definitely some sparkle to the carbonation, which is not overt and helped by the spicy hops flavour. I don't get as much wheat as I was hoping; contrary to the smell and appearance, this beer's taste is not full-bodied, although the hops certainly linger.

Good for Mayflower for branching out and experimenting with different flavours and ingredients, but I unfortunately don't feel that this beer is all that well balanced.

2.28/5  rDev -36.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 2

Normally I find Mayflower's offerings to be reliably good, with great character. This one, I'm afraid, strikes me as featureless. A pale blond that's a little too pale, almost tasteless, faint nose. The feel is crisp - on a hot day this will have a refreshing feel, but to me, it has no more satisfaction than a bottle of fizzy water.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next → last