Apricot Cream Ale | Rivertowne Pourhouse

Added by DrDemento456 on 05-20-2010

Reviews: 2 | Ratings: 4
Reviews by Ricochet:
4.4/5  rDev -0.9%

The RTP beers have been a special treat when I'm in Pitt. There isn't many choices when in town, and I'm no fan of Church Brews and East End brewing is great, but only has limited "growler hours". RTP however always has 10-12 beers on tap and lots of rotating/new creations. They have made some exceptional fruit beers, and this one continues the tradition. Even if you're not a fan of fruity beers, these buck the trend of too sweet or too syrupy. Just right and light would be the way this beer comes across.

Hazy yellow color with little head and lace. Looks like a Hefe or wheat beer. Smells of faint apricot and a little sweetness like Pez candy. Mouth is creamy and has a dry, wheaty aftertaste. Not thick, not watery.

This is a great wheat beer, without the heavy wheat taste. It's apricot beer, without the syrupy sweetness of , well syrup. Light, mildly bitter which comes from the apricot. The wheat aspect of this is faint and adds to the overall profile. This is as advertised only not strong enough to find something to hate and not weak enough to dismiss as a light beer. The Pez candy aspect is in the tartness and adds more to the profile.

Well, like the cranberry beer they had with the same features, this is how a fruit beer should be. Bravo. I bought a growler.

4.25/5  rDev -4.3%

4.64/5  rDev +4.5%

I tired a sample since their mango was good I figured I needed to taste before I got a fill. Sold me and growler was filled!

info:
"Our good friend Sean McIntyre contacted a private apricot grower to supply us with the 50 pounds of fresh apricot that went into this cream ale! If you like apricot, enjoy this seasonal treat!!!!"

A - Really light than expected for 5 percent. Hazy yellow, almost white with a good amount of head from carbonation.
S - Fresh Apricots tickle the nose along with a milky sweetness.
T - Really smooth fruit flavor with a creamy vanilla backbone. Totally not one dimensional and flavor doesn't get boring.
M - Light and carbonated, yet flavor coats the tongue. yum.
D - Well a growler fill was pretty much all I could have in one sitting but if I hit up the pourhouse again I could see my ordering a pint during happy hour. Tasty.

Apricot Cream Ale from Rivertowne Pourhouse