11th Hour Sour | Rivertowne Pourhouse

Rivertowne Pourhouse
Pennsylvania, United States
myrivertowne.com

Style: American Wild Ale

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Added by RblWthACoz on 05-21-2013

Reviews by greg4579:
2.5/5  rDev +1.6%

2.69/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

Rivertowne
11th Hour Sour

LOOK: Pours a cloudy golden color with a fizzy white foam. Has a creamy head and looks like a nitro beer, though it is from the tap.

SMELL: In the nose, sulfur, cotton candy, Belgian yeast, candi sugar. Perhaps a bit of a lemon scent on the edge as well.

TASTE/FEEL: The flavor is roundly of sweet Belgian yeast, wheats, and pale malts. A bit of mineral and ever so faint tartness on the back end, which is just enough to cover the well water aspect. Lemon, citrus rind, cotton candy, and sugary. Light bodied ale with low carbonation, thin, with a bit of must in the finish.

Not sour at all really, despite the name. With a base like this, it would take some real blending to be truly named as such. At the very least 11th hour sour is needing a lot more wild yeast or lacto influence. This is mostly like an American take on a Belgian wheat or witbier. Even so, below average.

2.21/5  rDev -10.2%

I am listing this as a wild ale, since it was promoted as a sour beer. It may be a Belgian Pale Ale in reality though.

This beer is nowhere near being a sour. Tastes like a Belgian ale. And something about it tastes very much like beer I have had from Rivertowne before. Like a mix of pineapple beer, witbier, and Belgian ale. For future drinkers, I sincerely hope I received the wrong beer. I asked if it was indeed the sour and was told that it was. I went a bit out of my way to try this one and I am not pleased that I did.

11th Hour Sour from Rivertowne Pourhouse