Green's Endeavour Dubbel Dark Ale

Notes:
Reviews: 72 | Ratings: 127
Reviews by deanhead:
2.44/5  rDev -17.8%

Appearance -Deep dark mahogany color, poured a voluminous head that dissipated to just a few bubbles lacing the glass.

Smell- Sweet raisins and currants, with some hints of honey.

Taste- This beer tastes sweet. Once it warmed up it became cloyingly sweet. It was not the taste I was looking for at all. In fact I don't think the taste even grazes the style of a dubbel.

Mouthfeel- very thin and light in body with slight warming alcoholic taste.

Drinkability- I wouldn't sample this beer again. as far as GF beers go, I would probably steer clear of it. While I really enjoy all Belgian styles, I felt that this beer missed the mark.

2.83/5  rDev -4.7%

Pours a three finger rocky light tan head that goes slowly to a thin layer leaving a little lace. Light carbonation and medium bodied. Opaque black color. Nose is very slight spice. Flavor is sweet and sour orange and dark chocolate. Very smooth but something is missing here - hops?? More like a fruit drink. $5.95 for a 500ml bottle from Colonial Spirits, Acton, MA.

2.06/5  rDev -30.6%

pours out of the half litre bottle a mahogany colour, rather dark with an ample tan foamy head reducing quickly to some spotty lace and dish soap like bubbles. fruity, solvent like aroma...ripe red fruits, almost like cough syrup. some root beer and sasparilla notes also. unique taste...seemingly devoid of any real dubbel character...some fruity notes...a bit of cola like flavours with some other watered down sugary notes. some yeasty notes, too. really it just seems bland and not very good. wrong mouthfeel and weak and watery body...blech. drinkability suffers because, frankly, this sucks.

this is my first foray into gluten free beers. not impressed. my scores actually might be too high.

1.9/5  rDev -36%

I saw 3 of these gluten free beers on the shelf so I thought I'd pick the one that sounds like it had the most potential..

It pours a very dark brown with hues of red and a small quickly dissipating head of foam.

The smell is of caramel sweetness, dark fruit, and alcohol.

The taste is..umm...sweet to the max mixed in with a lime soda like tartness. Wow. So this is what gluten free does for a beer. Umm...no thanks. It's thin bodied with light carbonation and for me, is almost totally undrinkable. No way I'm going to finish the bottle.

3.65/5  rDev +22.9%

For any of my celiac brethren out there, at least the looks is appealing. Forms a large thicket of light tan head that dwindles at a decently quick pace. Body is ruddy with deep amber highlights, lacing is apparent although not evenly strung. Aroma is very vinous in nature and label says this one is good until 05/05/09 that's awesome I know it's 7% but that doesn't scream that the beer should last. Smells deep like a red wine mild peppery feel with grape peels after being aged on barrels, spicy Belgian yeast strain touch of raisin and apple tartness as well. Flavor is strikingly vinous in nature, grape seeds red wine dry finish with yeast cake dough flavors. A decent amount of acidity can be noted here as well, I'm not getting much hop flavor. Definitely a hybrid Belgian styled dubbel I admire the creativity and I will confess this is not bad at all. Definitely drinkable I will have to compare it to the Red Bridge brew tomorrow, the last gluten free beer I had was utter shit. Yep that brew was the Passover honey beer from Ramapoo Valley. You would have thought they could have pulled of some wine like flavors in their version of a gluten free beer, but sadly that wasn't the case. Mouthfeel does sit a bit heavy some shades of cloying sweetness and acidic dryness with grape tartness and yeast cake powder notes. I will definitely pass this one on to Celiac patient's, as a nurse I run into this disease pretty frequently this brew will have to get my approval as reccomendations for alternative brews that these poor folks can go for.

1.64/5  rDev -44.8%

Bottle: Poured a deep pitch-brown ale with a light foamy head with good retention and no lacing. Aroma of sweet malt with some distinguishable alcohol. Taste is also dominated by some overly sweet malt which are kind of gross with some hot alcohol ester. Light body with average carbonation. No subtlety or complexity and not something I am looking for ever drinking again.

2.21/5  rDev -25.6%

"Let us endeavor to live so that when we die even the undertaker will be sorry."

--Mark Twain

Dark ruby red with bonfire orange edges. The golden beige colored crown was large and loudly crackly to start. It's still softly crackly and is even a little rocky and melted creamy. This isn't a bad looking beer, especially since the glass is becoming coated with lace that looks like khaki colored spray-on snow.

There's something about gluten-free grains that gives beer an odd, offputting aroma. This one smells like mushy apples soaking in turpentine, which is similar, I think, to my olfactory description of Green's Discovery. On the good side, the beer smells like dark malt. On the bad side, it doesn't smell anything like a dubbel.

It doesn't taste like one either. Actually, Endeavor isn't quite as bad as I'd feared. It isn't good, mind you, but I should be able to get through all 500 ml with grimacing too severely. How's that for a recommendation?

The solvent-like character isn't as prominent on the palate as in the nose (or in my flavor memory of Discovery). Steely caramel and tangy dark fruit lead the way. The grains that were used (millet, rice, buckwheat and sorghum) must not surrender their sugars easily because this brew could use a little sweetness to offset the sour. Some hop bitterness wouldn't be bad either. Unfortunately, warming hurts rather than helps.

The mouthfeel is on the thin side. Interestingly, it seems to gain viscosity over the course of the mouthful, finishing with a weird sort of slickness. The bubbles are finely buzzy and are short-lived after contact.

It's hard to believe that gluten-free beer has to be this bad. I sure do feel for anyone who has to drink this stuff. Truthfully, if left no other choice, I'd do without. Bottom line: (less than) one and done for me.

2.29/5  rDev -22.9%

Starts well with a mammoth head. Ruby brown color and clear. Mild lace on the side of the glass.

The smell is sweet like penny candy. Seems plasticky to me. Not inviting.

Very thin body for a Dubbel. This is quite distracting. The flavor is simple--lots of sugar, mild carbonation. Reminds me of Malta, the Latin American soda made from malt.

A clear miss if trying to imitate a Belgian Dubbel. Unless your allergic to the real stuff, I'd avoid this.

2.66/5  rDev -10.4%

Forgive the brief review, this is my first review after finding out I have celiac.

First the 500ml bottle was like $7 so my standards for it are pretty high. Sadly it doesn't meet them. The beer has an overall nice appearance. Dark, nice head, ok lace, yeast stayed in the bottle well.

Past that though I found it be a pretty carbonated and watery tasting beery. Very little mouth feel or body and not much that reminded me of the beligians I miss so badly.

Is it better than your other gluten free options? Probably. Is it better to the tune of probably 3-4x the cost of your other options? I don't think so. Give it a shot if you're missing belgians but their blonde tripel is better.

3.09/5  rDev +4%

I wish that I could remember where I scored this, but it and other G-F beers have been sitting on my kitchen counter awaiting the right time to drink them. I had a colleague who is gluten-free and I told her that I would keep my eye out for G-F beer options and report back to her on my findings. In the interim, I retired from that job and I still have the beers awaiting review. I have not felt perfect these last couple of days, so I thought that I would try something(s) fairly innocuous.

From the bottle: "Ale made from Millet, Buckwheat, Rice & Sorghum"; "Green's Ales are brewed and bottled by DeProef Brouwerij, Lochristi, Gent, Belgium."

I Pop!ped the cap and began the pour which resulted in a LOT of rocky, light-tan head coming up as if I were pouring a bottle of pop! It fell as quickly as it rose, but it left a bunch of sticky lacing in its wake. Color was Very Dark Brown to Black/Opaque (SRM = > 34, < 44) with NE-quality clarity and beautiful garnet highlights. Once again, the nose held the sharp cheesiness that I am sure what is causing people to give these beers such low ratings. I am also sure that it is borne of the buckwheat that is used in brewing G-F beers. The people rating (and reviewing) G-F beers should bear in mind that we are (probably) not their intended audience and give such beers a break with an eye towards what life would be like if we were gluten intolerant. Mouthfeel was thin, but highly carbonated. The taste was, well, I am not going to sugarcoat it - it was really sharp, initially and I almost spit it out since it was so unexpected! Once I overcame my initial gag reflex, I began to get flavors of dried, dark fruits and it was quite enjoyable, actually. Finish had a burnt sugar sweetness, rendering it semi-sweet overall. I can honestly say that this has been an eye-opening weekend for me and I look forward to a continued exploration of G-F beers.

1.87/5  rDev -37%

In the glass, this 'All Natural Dubbel Dark Beer' looked like a champ. A rich-looking, cloudy brown, it produced an off-white head of foam that lasted until the last drop, leaving plenty of lacing to coat the inside of my Tripel Karmeliet glass. Unfortunately, those are the last good things I can say about Green's Endeavor. The smell is reminiscent of Asian grass jelly drinks. As far as smells go, this one isn't particularly foul. In fact it is reasonably pleasant, but it is quite off-putting when the drinker knows that it is supposed to be a Belgian dubbel. The taste and mouthfeel are both mediocre at best, watery and tasting like an unsweetened herbal soda more than a beer. The aftertaste is fleeting, but what there is of it is unpleasantly medicinal. The abv is listed at 7%, and I'll give them credit for hiding it well, but that's just lipstick on a pig. And at $6 for a 500 ml bottle, I will not be getting a second one, nor will I accept a freebie. Okay, maybe there is one more good thing I can say about this beer: according to the label, it does NOT contain crustaceans, celery, or sesame seeds. That's a good thing, right?

2.35/5  rDev -20.9%

An English beer made in Belgium. Bottle lists things this beer does not contain: wheat, barley, crustaceans, eggs, fish, peanuts, soy beans, milk, lactose, nuts, celery, mustard, sesame seeds, sulphur dioxide or sulfites. I could go for a shrimp beer, but unfortunately, this isn't one. I poured it into a New Belgium glass.

It's a very dark beer with a reddish-purple tint when held to the light. It featured a rather airy head at first, nearly an inch high, but it faded very quickly. Rather fruity aroma, but with a... maybe a butterscotch tinge to it. Flavor is weird. Doesn't taste like a dubbel at all. It's more like a fizzy glass of grapefruit juice, sweet and fruity (prunes, red grapes). If there's any hoppy bitterness, I don't detect it. Points deducted for the thin body as well.

I have 2 more Green's beers in the fridge. I hope they're not this bad.

2.9/5  rDev -2.4%

Presentation: 500 ml label, imported by Merchant Du Vin - best by date of 11/6/09.

Appearance: Pours reddish brown with a very soda like head - large bubbles fades quickly. Some lacing.

Smell: Fruity - tart apple and a bit of belgian yeast aroma.

Taste: Similar to the aroma - tastes very fruity, with just a hint of belgian yeast funk to it. A bit over carbonated.

Overall impression: Interesting - definitely different than other gluten free beers I've tried. Not the best, but its nice to see some variety.

2.72/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

I did a bit of research and this is brewed by Andelot DeProef Browerij in Belgium for distribution in the UK (and handled by Merchan du Vin in the US/Canada).

This is not a dubbel, as in it does not taste like one. So I can't give it a high review even though I like it and think it has a unique taste.

Looks good - dark with a foamy tan white head, but the similarities to a dubble end there.

Slightly sweet, but strongly mettalic scent. Not off putting, but it lacks any of the brown sugar-spicy tones of a real dubbel.

Flavour is also radically different. No raisin or plum notes, no candi sugar, nothing to make this taste like a real Belgian dubbel. Its not "bad;" it has a unique, cereal-like flavour that I find pleasant. But its just not a dubble...flavour is wrong, scent is wrong, too much carbonation. I'd have it again, but...not if I want a dubble.

3.33/5  rDev +12.1%

A new brew-line offered to Central Kentucky BA's who prefer gluten-free beers. In fact, this beer fares much better than any other gluten-free beers that I have tried thus far. Starts wit a stable Dubbel look -- Solidly brown with some mohogany, purple colors mixed in, a loosely knit, typical Belgian head and retention, and highly carbonated. Scents deliver a heavy plumb, grape, apple estery quality, along with a sugar / syrup sweetness, and a lot of ferment-type spices. The tastes also deliver heavy, candied fruits found in the aromas. Pile on a deep booze-like flavor, and the brew takes on serious port wine-like flavors, mixed with Mr. Pibb soft drink. Quite nice and flavorful, but lacks depth and complexity. However, as with most gluten-free beers, the body suffers. The beer has a light airiness, that leaves the beer void of texture and depth, yet with a whisp of pepperiness. Finishes with a cola-like flavor

1.77/5  rDev -40.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.5

Appearance - Body is a dark, fairly clear amber with ruby highlights. Head is a large, light tan affair that settles slowly and leaves some lacing.

Smell - Very medicinal in aroma. Some maltiness. Lots of esters. Some spies like cinnamon and clove. Not looking forward to this.

Taste - Strong medicinal taste/ Bleh. Barely tastes like beer. Taste like cooking sherry. I'm dumping it.

Mouthfeel - Light to medium body. Good level of carbonation. No objections here.

D - Ughghgh. Unless you are gluten intolerant, I do not recommend trying this beer.

2.78/5  rDev -6.4%

This is a bit strange in my opinion, because the label of this beer says it's a product of Belgium, and brewed by DeProef Brouwerij in Gent, Belgium, and yet the BA website refers to it as an English beer. Everything else, though, matches up exactly. A tad bit confusing if you ask me.

Poured into a Belgian snifter, the Endeavour is a pretty beer. Dark brown at first sight, with colorful oranges and a deep ruby red hue mixed in for good measure. A thin tan head rests on top. Not much lace worth mentioning. The nose is reminiscent of a boozy red wine, or a thin port. Big on cherries, there are bound to be some other fruit scents in there that are overwhelmed at first. Maybe some faint citrus notes that eventually rise to the forefront, but it's hard to tell. Still, not a bad smell. Just not what I would have expected from a Dubbel. The taste is, again, more wine than Dubbel ale. Red wine grapes with a strong berry flavor. Cherries. Tart and somewhat acidic, with a funky tin-flavored aftertaste. Not really my cup of tea, this one. Mouthfeel is thin and tinny.

Man, am I glad I'm not forced to drink gluten free beers all the time. This just doesn't do it for me. It's not terrible, but it doesn't exactly meet the usual Belgian dubbel ale standards. Average drinkability here because, in my opinion, I've had worse. But I wouldn't recommend this to anyone except those of you who are seeking something totally different that what you're used to. This beer will satisfy that craving, if nothing else.

1.45/5  rDev -51.2%

Blind beer #2 of 12

This beer is a bomber that was gift wrapped no sign of glass ware suggestions so I will give it a sniff test. Off comes the cap a lactic honey aroma rises out. So into a snifter I sent this beer.

A-2.5 The body of the beer is mahogany. The head was a short lasting white coloration. No lacing noted on my glass.

S- 2.5 This is a bit odd. The aroma of honey sweetened lactic and vinous apple cider rise out my glass. At first I was intrigued but this quickly turned into a train wreck as the beer quickly warms.

T- 1.0 This beer taste like an apple cyser / honey mead gone horribly wrong. Lactic vinegar notes combine with MD 20/20 vinous notes. In short not good.

M- 1.0 This beer would have been very limp in character if not for its astringency. Light bodied almost no carbonation.

O- 1.0 I can truthfully state this beer was unappealing.

Thanks for a unique beer experience that will haunt my memory for some time. Is this beer as intended, infected or just off?

The Reveal. Greens Endeavor All Natural Double Dark.

A beer brewed with Millet, Rice, Buckwheat and Sorghum. I would also like to add no redeeming value for a beer drinker.

3.27/5  rDev +10.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Had this a few weeks back at the Bonefish Grill in Pine Brook - not having a gluten-free beer before and never had anything from Green's as well. While this didn't live up to expectations, it was decent for being without gluten, even though it wasn't anywhere as good as the Dubbel's the define the style. Overall, this was worth a go once but without strong body and appealing mouthfeel, this beer faded as quickly from memory as it did once I finished off the bottle at my table.

Of course, this poured quite dark and thin with a head that was moderately present and faded n due time. Not a strong aroma to this but there was the typical candied sugar and dark fruit to be round here. The mouthfeel was thin and was an indication of how easy this would go down with my meal. There was apple and pear here but not a lot of yeast, body, or darker fruits to be found and the carbonation was present enough to keep this light. It felt like a dark cider and went down as easily as one too, as the sugar gave this a feeling of a fall "orchard" beverage.

Even though it wasn't easy to discern, the alcohol was spot-on and the somewhat creamy aspect of the mouthfeel led this to go down easy. Would gluten have added more body to this beer? Probably, but even with that, it would have still been light. I wouldn't trash this like others have on here but at the same time, this wasn't anything special. A good beer should enhance a meal and with the bread and seafood that I enjoyed, this paired just fine. worth a try once for anyone who wants a light Belgian-style beer with dinner without being overwhelmed.

1.59/5  rDev -46.5%
look: 3 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Aroma of sherry, wine, vegetal, dirt. Taste dry vinous, faint cherry coke, prunes. Not a Dubbel! Another undrinkable Gluten!

3.65/5  rDev +22.9%

A - Three fingers of light tan head, collapses quickly and leaves thin, sticky lace. Amber brown body with good clarity.

S - Malty (odd, for a beer with no barley), caramel, and raisins. Yeast spice notes of cinnamon and clove.

T - Light caramel, nutty, roasty notes. Some hop flavor and bitterness in the middle as well as grainy sourness. The finish is mostly roasted grain bitterness with some burnt caramel character.

M - As you might expect, the mouthful suffers from the lack of barley. High carbonation, medium body and a fairly sweet finish; I hate to say it, but the mouthful is similar to that of Diet Coke.

D - This is my first gluten free beer, and I am quite impressed. I came into it expecting something pretty bad, based on reviews of other GF beers, but I was pleasantly surprised. If you can get past the somewhat unfortunate body, the flavor is a good imitation of a barley based dubbel, and the smell is so good that it gives no clues that the beer is GF. The best compliment I have for this is that I had no problem drinking the whole bottle and I even enjoyed it!

2.71/5  rDev -8.8%

Poured into an imperial pint glass. Color was a dark, slightly translucent beer, with a thick frothy head made up of large bubbles. Most of the head disappeared quickly leaving some bubbles clinging to the sides with a thin layer on top. Aroma was slightly alcoholy, with some bitterness, bananas, and also some burnt sugar sweetness contradicting the acidic bitter. Taste was bitter and astringent, with a very small amount of banana aftertaste. Felt watery in the mouth, along with extra amounts of carbonation. Not easy drinking , and the ABV definitely hit stronger than it should have.

2.55/5  rDev -14.1%

This one was the biggest hope of the bunch. A Merchant Du Vin rep told me that it was the best of the three, and that it relied heavily on caramelized sugar for its dubbel character. The color was encouraging, and the aroma was not unlike some standard dubbles with the fruity estery yeasty sweet nose, but then --- CRASH! --- it all went to hell in my mouth. Too much thin phenolic sweetness, the sugar was almost all that revealed itself aside from lightning flashes of fruit and malt flavor that appeared and disappeared so fast that my repeated sips to catch this elusive flavor only amplified my disillusionment. Imagine that, the only somewhat satisfying gluten-free beer most people tell me they like is made by A-B. What an ironic fate. 5.99 per half-liter bottle of this stuff - are you kidding me? It's time for those with gluten intolerances that love beer to quit waiting for the market to find a solution, and start brewing up their salvation at home.

2.02/5  rDev -32%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Pours brown-black with a fizzy, soda-like head that leaves a thin, patchy film. It smells of sulphur (molases, maybe), with a bit of raisins in the background. Taste is metallic, bitter, sour, and not...good. It goes through a phase where it almost has a fruity sweetness, then it descends into a medicinal esters finish that devolves into burnt metal finish. I'm not sure if you can burn metal, but I think this is what it would taste like. The mouthfeel is thin but ok on carbonation but I really can't focus on anything past the taste. Not drinkable, sorry. I admire their creation of a beer for the gluten-allergic and I admire their effort to do it in a Belgian style. I'm just glad I'm gluten-ok.

Green's Endeavour Dubbel Dark Ale from Green's Gluten Free Beers