Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Green's Endeavour Dubbel Dark Ale | Green's Gluten Free Beers

2.75/5  rDev -6.5%

3.25/5  rDev +10.5%

4.5/5  rDev +53.1%

1.94/5  rDev -34%

Appearance - dark brown, can't see through it. Nice bubbly 1/2 finger head.

Smell - sweet & sour. Very interesting smell...can't quite place it.

Taste - decent flavor, however not strong how I like most of my beers. The best gluten offering I have ever had.

Mouthfeel - so-so

Overall - an ok beer for being gluten free.

2.75/5  rDev -6.5%

2.69/5  rDev -8.5%

Oh my God. I bought this because I had a friend who had allergic issues. It taste like a dark Corona. It's barely drinkable, and franky, for the calories, I might just drain pour and open something decent to get this aweful taste out of my mouth. ICk.

3.76/5  rDev +27.9%

A: Poured a dark brown, looks almost like cola. Quite carbonated out of the bottle, with a large dark tan head that quickly dissipated leaving behind significant lacing on the sides of the glass.

S: A caramel sweetness with a hint of acetic acid underneath.

T: Strong sweet malt flavors up front with hints of caramel/toffee that leads into a slight acidity and finishes with an earthy mineral character.

M: Initially the carbonation is silky, and fades to a lingering effervescence. While the flavor is sweet, the mouthfeel isn't sticky.

O: One of the better gluten-free offererings I've had. The flavors almost remind me of Lindeman's Faro at the beginning. While not strictly adhering to the flavors you would find in a traditional dubbel, it is still quite good for what it is.

3.53/5  rDev +20.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - dark brown amber; thin lacing of brown head; decent retention

S - baked apples, bread, faint spice

T - baked apples, caramel, faint yeast, mild spice

M - very crisp, smooth, medium bodied

As far as gluten free beers go this is decent. The apple presence is strong and off putting, but overall this is decent.

My wife who has been searching for a decent gluten free beer for a while says that this is her absolute favorite.

3.38/5  rDev +15%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Not much head or lacing after the initial hard pour. Just a few wisps of foam remain.

S: Sour cherry candy, soft milk chocolate.

T: Tart dark fruits, toffee, cola, cherries.

M: Very fizzy while taking sips.

O: As a dubbel it's really off the mark, as a Dubbel/Flanders Red hybrid, this is very good.

3.06/5  rDev +4.1%

The appearance is very dark black with a red hue at the bottom of the glass. Has a frothy foamy head which take a while to settle
down but stays at some level all the way down. The foam even sticks to glass all the way down.

Smells of faint cherries and sorghum.

Tastes very fruity strong on cherries almost like cherry coke. After taste of sorghum not too bad.

Feels very carbonated at first like a soda but them calms down and feels much thicker in the mouth.

Overall doesn't really taste like a dubbel but as a gluten free beer it's the best I've had and I've tried most of them.

1.45/5  rDev -50.7%

Blind beer #2 of 12

This beer is a bomber that was gift wrapped no sign of glass ware suggestions so I will give it a sniff test. Off comes the cap a lactic honey aroma rises out. So into a snifter I sent this beer.

A-2.5 The body of the beer is mahogany. The head was a short lasting white coloration. No lacing noted on my glass.

S- 2.5 This is a bit odd. The aroma of honey sweetened lactic and vinous apple cider rise out my glass. At first I was intrigued but this quickly turned into a train wreck as the beer quickly warms.

T- 1.0 This beer taste like an apple cyser / honey mead gone horribly wrong. Lactic vinegar notes combine with MD 20/20 vinous notes. In short not good.

M- 1.0 This beer would have been very limp in character if not for its astringency. Light bodied almost no carbonation.

O- 1.0 I can truthfully state this beer was unappealing.

Thanks for a unique beer experience that will haunt my memory for some time. Is this beer as intended, infected or just off?

The Reveal. Greens Endeavor All Natural Double Dark.

A beer brewed with Millet, Rice, Buckwheat and Sorghum. I would also like to add no redeeming value for a beer drinker.

1.5/5  rDev -49%

2.37/5  rDev -19.4%

Cellared for two years above 45 degrees.

A - A head just like a Coca~Cola Classic. It started out at 3 inches and quickly faded to less than a quarter inch. The body is deep brown with hints of purple when held to light. I want to say this beer looks good but the head is so much like a soda that I just can't do it even though at an eighth of an inch it offers some very nice stamina.

Also, I've never seen nutrition facts on a beer label before... that I remember anyway.

S - It smells slightly sweet, with plum, cranberry, molasses, and brown sugar.

T - The flavors here consist of dark sugars, like those found in soda. It tastes less like a malty Belgian style dubbel and more like a cola.

M - The feel is light and airy with a lot of carbonation.

~ If I had Siliac's Disease I would do my best to make this beer work. That being said, I do not, so I won't, and I recommend you do the same. To me this seems more like an alcoholic cola rather than a dubbel.

2.68/5  rDev -8.8%

500 ML poured into a Chimay Chalice.

A - Pours very dark with garnet highlights. Cola brown head that sinks into an active ceiling.

S - Cherries, some tartness, apples, berries, sweet candy, perfume wine.

T - Cherries, vinous oxidation, tart dark fruit, subtle Christmas-like spice, dried orchard apples, dry vinous alcohol thins out the flavors on the finish.

M - Aggressive carbonation fills the mouth with bubbles and thins out the flavors, hindering them from developing.

It's like a sparkling red wine with some yeast thrown in. Not as good as Quest and not a great Dubbel but it has a huge disadvantage being gluten free. For some reason it reminds me of Christmas. I could drink this while decorating the Christmas tree.

Green's Endeavour Dubbel Dark Ale from Green's Gluten Free Beers